Would you buy used cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you diaper your baby in used cloth diapers?
Yes 265 80.06%
No 66 19.94%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you buy used cloth diapers (from a stranger, for arguments sake) and put them on your baby?

When you've answered this question; please go to this thread and answer the one there. (my apologies to those of you who do not qualify for that forum yet)

See my final thoughts/summary on page two; post 28. Thanks everyone; it's been interesting.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you want to include non-TAO members you might want to post the other poll in Mindful Home Management rather than TAO.

TAO= "Talk Amoungst Ourselves" and is only open to members with at least 50 posts and 60 days of membership.

I had some cloth diapers and covers gifted to me when I first switched DS from disposables to cloth. I was very grateful for the diapers and used them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Ruth. I picked TAO because I thought it didn't fit anywhere else. What I should have done, is ask you first!! Speaking of which, why aren't you a moderator yet?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM

I will buy diapers used if they are easy to clean, like pocket fitteds, but not if they have internal soakers.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM

all of my diapers but one was bought used. i can't afford to buy brand new cds yet it is very important to me to CD so used is the way i go!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:52 PM

I don't know which thread to answer in. I will not use used adult underwear because adults might have unsavory things in their private bits. Children generally will not have questionable diseases when they are wearing diapers. I don't know if any adult diseases survive the washing process but the thought of it is gross to me. DH refuses to use second hand diapers though so we don't. DD has worn hand me down undies from her cousin.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM

I only buy used if I cannot get them new.
I just bought a used Sweetiebum in a print that is not readily avilable anymore. And I have bought Peanut Butter & Ellie Graes after I couldn't get one by stalking.
It has to be a very special diaper to make it worth it.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 PM

I got my prefolds off a lady on craigslist and didn't worry any about it. I washed them a lot. She gave me a whole lot of covers, but I haven't been able to use any of them because of my son's skinny legs.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

I will use used cloth diapers. In fact, most of my current stash is used. I will not use use underwear on myself or on my children if it's from a stranger. The difference is mainly that, like another person said, babies pee and poop in them and that is it. Everything dies in the wash. With underwear, and more so adult than children's, you don't necessarily know what's in there. And there are some things that I don't want to take the chance on them not dieing in the wash.

As for the point that some babies get yeast infections, well, this is true, but it has also been proven time and time again that if you boil the diapers you kill the yeast. That, and yeast is something that you have anyway -- it's not a foreign thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Some of my CD stash is used. Toddler prefolds aren't so easy to get your hands on here in Canada, so I bought 6 used. They have some staining on them but honestly, it doesn't bother me. I wash them in hot water and dry them in a hot dryer. And all my son does is poop and pee in them anyhow.

As long as the diapers are in good condition, even if they do have some staining, I don't mind buying used.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When I was first building my stash when I was pregnant with DS I bought quite a few used diapers to try out different types. I've sold quite a few since then. I've also borrowed diapers from friends before, and loaned them out.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Yep, sure do. I buy used and new. I wash them. It doesn't bother me any. And considering that I just made almost $300 in selling dd's used diapers on diaperswappers this past weekend I know I'm not the only one who doesn't mind used dipes!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM

I've bought quite a few used diapers on Diaperswappers. I don't care as long as they are in good condition.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Over half of my diapers over the last 4 years have been used. I have no problems with that what so ever.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM

yep
and votes yes for the other poll to.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
g&a

My thinking is that cloth diapers are washable and you can get them really clean just by washing them.....or else I probably wouldn't use them at all anyways....

I usually wash new used stuff a couple of times before I use it just to be sure.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM

I bought all my diapers used from a diaper service going out of business or on the TP or on Ebay. Diapers are so heavily washed using such hot water, I can't really imagine anything would survive. I'd also use a diaper service if someone was offering to pay for it--all used diapers, all the time.

I generally treat my undies delicately . . . cool to tepid water, gentle detergent, etc . . . I wouldn't accept used undies for that reason and because I can get undies for $2.00 each and only need one (or two) a day. Much less expensive than diapers.

And yes, I wear used pants. I wear undies all the time so it's a barrier and I also wash my used pants before I wear them.

If diapers cost what underwear did, I'd buy them all new. Heck, if I could find some gently used bras in my size, that would be great--I'm tired of spending $50-$60 on ONE bra.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM

I took both polls. No to each.

I wouldn't use used undergarments on myself or my child...

Yes, they can be washed. But there are waaaayyy too many nasties that live and are transmitted from that area for me to be comfortable!! Child OR adult!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Of course, they're diapers! Some of my favorite diapers I bought used. No biggie.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM

yes to diapers, no to underwear. adults and their diseases and infections are way grosser than baby poop lol!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
yes to diapers, no to underwear. adults and their diseases and infections are way grosser than baby poop lol!
:

It just seems easier to disinfect diapers.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM

of course! In fact, an actual stranger on the street came up to me when my boy was a few days old and gave me a ton of cloth diapers
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM

I'm not opposed to the idea. But as of right now, we're planning on having a whole bunch of kids. Since we're only on number 1, I feel like my best bet is to buy new, that way I'll get the most wear out of them.

And by number 5 or 6, I have a feeling my DH will have long ago cut off the diaper buying

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM

I voted yes because we use a diaper service.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM

No, not unless I had to.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 PM

My second child will be reusing my son's diapers, but I have never bought used diapers. However, the main reason I have never bought used is because between coupon codes, bulk discounts and clearance sales, buying used would not have saved me much money. In fact, I sometimes see used diapers selling for more than what I paid new, which always baffles me. I might feel like a total hypocrite for selling them when #2 is done with diapers, but I'm sure some of them will be in good enough condition for additional usage.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 PM

I do not own used diapers but I would buy them and I have bought some for a friend (as go between - she was in other state and it was too good a deal to pass). I am not grossed out by used dipes as I would bleach them first.

Used underwear I would not buy because undies are usually too fragile to bleach. Plus, they are not made to last as long as diapers and are usually broken down and raggedy much sooner.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who couldn't see the other poll (I again, apologize) and haven't yet figured it out; I asked "would you wear used underwear from a stranger?". As of this moment, the poll results are 26 yes's and 143 no's. There was a whole slew of interesting discussion. I just posted the following post on (page 4!!) of that thread; and this is how it went (so nobody's left in the dark)....

-----------

Well folks; it's been an interesting run on this topic. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Me personally; I wouldn't buy used diapers from strangers; but I may use used diapers within my family. My sisters and I sometimes borrowed underpants when we were kids; but that doesn't happen now. It's the unknown for me that creeps me out; that's why I specifically asked "if they came from a stranger" on both polls; because I think some of you would be more inclined to take used undergarments from family than strangers. The results of both polls to date has been rather interesting; yet somewhat expected. I just wondered how many people associated used diapers and used underpants to be the same...thanks to everyone who admitted to be hypocrites.

The second biggest point made on each of the threads was the cost of underwear vs cloth diapers. Yes, that's definitely a factor. I'd be curious to know how many "no" people would turn to "yes" people if underwear were $15+ a pair. The very biggest point made has to do with the 'germs' (aka: "nasties") that an adult has vs a baby. Interestingly enough; we don't associate babies as being potential disease carriers; which is more commonly true, but not necessarily true (more so now, than ever). One way or another; no matter what disease a person of any age has; if you were to wash the undergarment in hot water with tea tree oil and then hot water and soap; and then a hot water rinse; nothing is going to survive - be it adult or infant germies.

Truth be told: I personally still couldn't do the used undergarments thing. Thanks again for all your interesting replies!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 AM

Yep. I don't think I've ever bought a new CD. Diapered my girlie all in used and gonna do it again with my next babe.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM

No, I don't use used diapers. I keep my diapers clean and nice, BUT you just never know if others do or not. I mean some people give-up on CDing because they have issues related to getting them clean. I don't want their hand me down problems. I buy new because I know they are washed right and are sanitary. I just can't bring myself to do that. DH agrees, so it's never been a question.

User Tag List