BumGenius experiences/opinions wanted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So a friend has finally convinced me to go to cloth at least part time by selling me on her good experiences with BumGenius 3.0 AIOs. I like the AIO factor and that they grow with my daughter. I had wanted to cloth diaper from the beginning (DD is 6 months old) but I was so confused by all the size and brand options that it felt so overwhelming- I didn't even know where to begin.
So I'd like to hear everyone's experiences with BumGenius- and how they launder them (we have a front loader), what detergent they use, etc, etc...

Thanks in advance
#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 PM

Do you mean the BumGenius one size? They are the ones that "grow," but thy are pocket diapers (you stuff an absorbent lining in them).

I love them. I have 1.0 and 2.0s, and they're very easy to care for and work great for my son. I have a front loader as well, and I use a free and clear detergent (just a couple tablespoons per load) and wash with hot water, using the "skin care rinse" option. I dry the inserts in the dryer but hand dry the outsides. They dry very quickly, and all of mine look/feel practically brand new.

They're very easy to use and to clean, and I like that I don't have to buy new diapers so often. You could try buying a couple and see how you like them before you commit to a whole stash.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes- I mean the one size BG- the 3.0 I think (see I'm already confused by all the terms!)

Good to hear you like them. What specific detergent do you use?
#4 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 PM

I use the free and clear one from Costco. I know a lot of people don't use it because I think it still has optical brighteners or something, but I tried a few others and things were kind of stinky and didn't seem to get clean. (Specifically Charlie's Soap and Biokleen--I think it depends a lot on your water and your washer.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Hey... we just switched to cloth. We've been using BumGenius 3.0 (one size) for 3 days now and I can hardly express just how amazed I am by them! I have a 16-month-old in diapers and a 3-year-old potty training. They both fit in them, and both wore them over night with NO leaks! My 16mo even woke up with a huge diarrhea diaper yesterday and it contained it all! And she is seriously a super soaker. I used the insert and newborn insert as a doubler for night time.

I washed with Method free + clear, and did a cold wash, and then hot/cold with an extra rinse. Then dried in the dryer. They came out beautifully!
#6 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 PM

I love my BG's! I use Allen's Naturally to clean them. We had a bad experience after using Nature Clean, so I'm a bit picky with detergent now.

We have yet to have a single problem with our BG's. ;D
#7 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM

I like them. I still find it simpler and cheaper to use prefolds, but we use the Bgs quite often too.
I use Mountain Green Skin Sensitive and Country Save (when I can find it.

Cloth diapers are amazingly simple, I was really surprised.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#8 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM

I love my BGs too - I have 2.0's. I wash them in my top loader - one cold rinse, one hot wash with 1/2 TBSP Dawn dishwashing soap (the original blue kind), then an extra cold wash with nothing in the water. I dry them in the dryer, and they come out very well.

They are nice diapers that are bulletproof at night/naptime, easy to stuff and care for, and easy for other caregivers (grandma, DH, babysitters) to figure out because they are so much like a disposable.

And I agree on the containment factor. In disposables, my DS as a young baby would have liquidy poops that would go all the way up his back and get in his hair (YECH!!!), but never ever has he leaked anything out of his BGs.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#9 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM

I recently splurged on the BG AIO 2.0s for my newest babe -- a serious upgrade from the PFs and cheap covers of my previous kiddies. I LOVE THEM! I decided to go with the 2.0s instead of the OS 3.0s because 1) I don't want to mess with stuffing pockets, and 2) The snaps look like they would dig into baby's thighs when the diapers are in anything but the smallest size (anyone know otherwise?). I do plan on reselling these when I am finished with them to try and make some of the money back, since they were $14.95 each (bulk discount price).

Anyway, we are in size small right now, and I have already ordered 2 dozen size mediums. I am impressed with how much they absorb, and the only leaking problems we have had is when we forgot to change them before a nap or something (when they are FULLY soaked). I am also thrilled to see how well that back gusset contains the BF-poo blowouts -- can't get that with a disposable! Haven't had any wicking problems, but they do take 3 full cycles in my dryer (on medium heat) to get truly dry. I might start hanging them up to dry overnight, but I usually can't wait that long since I only have 18 (and baby is 2 months old -- we go through a lot), and my cheap back-up covers (to use with my PFs) haven't arrived in the mail yet.

We do still use disposables at night, since the one time I tried these (with a cloth doubler!) they leaked through a leg hole, but I figure that's because my baby sleeps on his side up against me and feeds (and therefor pees) several times throughout the night. I will try again when he starts sleeping for longer periods and eating less. Yes, I am lazy and don't want to get up in the middle of the night to change him unless I absolutely have to! So until then, it's a disposable with doubler for overnight.

I would recommend the BG AIOs to anyone -- they are SOOO easy to use!

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#10 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM

I adore my bg one-size 3.0's. They fit well, dry well, and haven't leaked so far.
#11 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM

I love the one-size bum genius's that I have. They wash up so clean. Mine are perfectly white after like eight months of using them. I just use ALL and wash on hot and dry on hot for an hour.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#12 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM

I was on a tight budget while buying diapers so I just bought three BGs for overnite. They work great(i have the 2.0)except two of the snaps broke so i can't make them the small size any more and the velcro doesn't hold as well after a year. I might be doing something wrong because everyone else seems to love them. They are easy for babysitters to use and they last all nite. They leak on my daughter sometimes, but she's a skinny minny. I wash in hot with bioclean, but now the inserts need to be replaced. they stink and i can't seem to salvage them. Anyone have any tips?
#13 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
I was on a tight budget while buying diapers so I just bought three BGs for overnite. They work great(i have the 2.0)except two of the snaps broke so i can't make them the small size any more and the velcro doesn't hold as well after a year. I might be doing something wrong because everyone else seems to love them. They are easy for babysitters to use and they last all nite. They leak on my daughter sometimes, but she's a skinny minny. I wash in hot with bioclean, but now the inserts need to be replaced. they stink and i can't seem to salvage them. Anyone have any tips?
I've had problems with the velcro tabs too. They still work but they do not stick as well as they used to so I haven't bought anymore. The tab thing annoys me. Honestly though I am kind of getting into fitteds with wool covers so I probably won't do any more pockets. And of course one of these days ds will learn to use a potty. Hopefully.He shows no interest thus far.
#14 of 14 Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 PM

I don't mind them for pee, but I hate it when there's a poo-splosion. The pocket is more of an envelope-opening, so there's no way to remove the insert without getting dirty. And if the laundry tabs get poop on them, the aplix tabs will stay stained forever, it seems. When I tried leaving inserts in the poopy diapers, the load just didn't get clean and had to be redone (with inserts removed from said dipe).

It also seems the suedecloth sometimes irritates DS's skin.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page