Thinking of switching to CDing.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but I have no idea what I am doing. I was looking at the bumgenius 3.0 and I saw that it said something about an insert. DO you have to buy inserts for them? If so how many of those do you have to buy? Are there any cloth diapers that work well and are AIO? Or is there always something else that needs to be added? I am so confused HELP!
#2 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 AM

"In addition to the regular insert, a newborn insert/booster is included with all version 3.0 diapers. The newborn insert is designed to reduce bulk for small babies. When the baby outgrows the newborn insert, it works great as an overnight booster or extra absorbency for a heavy wetter."

I found this on one website.....looks like you don't need additional ones

still learning
#3 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 AM

I know, cloth diapering can look so overwhelming when you are first researching it, doesn't it? But to answer your question no you don't need any additional inserts with Bum Geniuses, they come packaged with one already.

I wouldn't recommend all-in-ones simply because they take SOOOOO long to dry! My favorites are simple chinese prefolds with a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap cover and Happy Heinies pocket diapers.
#4 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 AM

i don't know much about the aio's. when i started cd-ing i used pre-folds and bummis super whisper wraps. ds is 2 and a half and when we're no in undies we still use the prefolds. we also like kissaluvs fitteds although they take a while to dry sometimes too.

i learned a lot on the green mountain diapers site though:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/
#5 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM

I am in the process of switching my nearly 19 month old son to CD. He started to get interested in the potty and after reading a few articles it seemed that the kids in cloth learn more quickly. Since he is older & a heavy wetter, we are using Fuzzi Bunz. I was able to borrow a lot of FB from a friend to try out and am now purchasing our own. I'm expecting #2 and plan to CD with the baby. However, I'm planning to use prefolds and covers until the baby is big enough to go into size M FB. Prefolds are much cheaper and newborns go through a ton of dipes. In the switching process I have relied a lot on friends for advice, the recent Mothering articles and a online retailer in my area www.abbyslane.com. I like her site because she gives descriptions and overviews with a down to earth tone. What I am finding is that everyone has a preference and there is so much out there to choose from. If you want new dipes try a small sampler package to see what works. If don't mind used then pick some up on diaperswappers.com, craigslist.com, ebay.com etc. The last thing is that if you go cloth, then you'll want to use cloth wipes. At first I hadn't gotten cloth wipes and it was such a pain to dispose of the others when you aren't throwing diapers away. Good luck!!
#6 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM

I mostly use prefolds, but I do have a few Mommy's Touch all in ones that I really like. They actually dry faster than my prefolds. They're pricey, but it is nice to have a small stash of them. Another plus is that they are one size, and so far that has worked well for me. I think they're on sale at cottontailbaby.com
#7 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM

I was overwhelmed at first too but it's really easy once you learn the lingo!
I think Bumgenius are an awesome diaper - I have a friend who uses them exclusively and loves them. I would recommend trying a few different diapers though, just because not all diapers work for all babies.
Good luck and if you have more questions to post, I'm sure there are lots of mamas here (and me) who can help you get started!

Lisa

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!
#8 of 19 Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 AM

I figured it out by going to a store that sold diapers. I could ask questions and touch and feel. If there's one within a decent distance--go visit. Or find a local La Leche League or Attachment Parenting group that has a mother who can show you what she uses.

All the reading was helpful, but I didn't really get it until I saw them in person. Guess that's the type of learner I am.
#9 of 19 Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 AM

i also like to buy used....trying different stuff on the cheap.
#10 of 19 Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 AM

Cloth diapering is actually very easy, you will set up a station and develop a simple rhythm. And I think babies look totally cute in cloth.

I used prefolds and bummis wraps with my dd. Fine but the poop can be a little difficult to get off, you kind of have to be a little more involved. They are also bulkier so you can't fit very many in a diaper bag.

With my ds we use Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. I love them! The poop comes of much easier. When he poops, I simply take the inserts out of the pocket and put them in the pail so they don't absorb any water when I knock the poop off into the toilet. Sometimes I have to put the pocket/cover into the toilet to get the poop off but I don't have to dunk it. I just kind of dip it. They are soggy and you don't have to wring them out. I just neatly fold back in half and place in diaper pail

I babysit a girl who wears bumgenius 3.0 and I do not recommend them. First of all I think the snaps are much better than velcro. Velcro get linty...And the way the pocket is designed for the insert makes it kind of messy because it's located further down the diaper on the inside. Poop can and usually does get right there at the opening so you basically have to get messy in order to get the inserts out. I also don't think the inserts fit very well. They are bulkier than fuzzi bunz too. I also don't think they are a very good overall fit for a normal built baby (i.e. not chunky, just average)

Even though the are one size I think that they need improvement and the one size isn't helpful if they diaper isn't a good fit and messy to deal with.
#11 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have to use pins with the prefolds? That scares me! I looked it up and I am feeling a little less overwhelmed. Thanks so much for the info!
#12 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and one more question. DO the bummis covers have to be washed everytime or can they be wiped out? How many should I buy to start with?
#13 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 AM

I actually really like Bum Genius AIO and pockets..

Another favorite is DryBees Pocket Diaper

I think fitted diapers with a cover are easy too, I like Thirsties Fitted and their covers.
#14 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Oh and with the pre-folds you can just fold them and put a cover over them too.
#15 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacymom View Post
Do you have to use pins with the prefolds? That scares me! I looked it up and I am feeling a little less overwhelmed. Thanks so much for the info!

No, you don't have to use pins and with the Bummis super whisper wraps you don't really have to use anything. They have a little pocket on the front of the diaper that holds the prefold in place. That's all we ever used with my dd1 even though we did try other ways of folding the prefold.
#16 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM

We don't use anything to hold the prefolds in place either - we just trifold them and lay inside a Thirsties cover then velcro on the baby. We rotate the covers if they are damp and just throw them in the wash when they are soiled. The thirsties are awesome for holding in poop I agree with the pp too - the Thirsties fab fitteds are great too (can you tell I'm a Thirsties fan? lol)

We also use the Drybees pockets and they are our favourite pockets so far. I love all their colours and prints

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!
#17 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ok another question lol. How do you get the mushy nasty poop out of diapers? DO you have to scrape it out or do you just throw it in the wash like that? I know these must sound like dumb questions but I am REALLY a beginner in this.
#18 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM

If the baby is strictly bf'ing you can just toss in the pail and wash like that because bm poop is water soluble. If they eat solids than yes, you need to dunk the poop, sometimes I use toilet paper to get it off.
#19 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

lisad1 I love the site in your siggy! The thirsties are cheaper than the bummis by a little. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page