Mothering Forum banner

Mega poo blowout. What am I doing wrong?

784 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Lisadeanne 
#1 ·
Ok so this is my first week using my new DSQ prefolds with my daughter. She is just under 4 months and exclusively bf. She has got the most explosive poops and yesterday she blew straight out of her diaper and cover. All over my dh (hee hee)!! I am wondering if I am not folding right or if this is just something that will happen with bf babies in cloth?

#2 ·
Are you snappiing or pinning or just doing trifolded prefolds in wraps? Those explosive bf poops can be hard to contain and pretty much impossible just trifolding in wraps. Some people do have luck with pins or snappi. It takes practice to get the legs tight enough. Which folds have you tried? I'm sure someone else will have more advice re which folds work best but sometimes the best solution until the poops slow down is a good fitted diaper. Sorry if that isn't much help but I think if you post what fold you're doing now etc. someone will be able to give you some better advice

#4 ·
my ds is 4 months old too and ebf. i predominately use snappied cpfs. i have used the newspaper fold with much success in catching the poop because it forms alittle pocket but there is so much extra material in the front that i don't use it at all anymore. i now use the bikini twist and that has caught ds's poop too. i'm sorry i don't have the link for the two folds but i think they are on pumpkinbutt.com. i learned from karen's site (mammas help me here!)

as for covers - they really have to fit well around the leg. i have success with all my covers - as long as they are sorta snug around the thigh.

good luck!

by the way - fitted always work too - i just wanted to let you know that it can work with a cpf too!

#5 ·
I think at that age, poo blowouts are a fact of life! I know my dd would save them up for a few days, and boy oh boy, was there a lot of poo. Ugh. Anyhow, like someone else said, the key to containing those poos is a good-fitting cover. Pinning or using a snappi will help, but a good cover is crucial. My dd had skinny legs, and so aplix PUL covers with leg gussets worked for us. Once we found the right cover for that stage (we used Diaperaps) we never had a blowout that went outside of the cover. At that point we were just trifolding the CPF too, and the cover was still able to contain all the poo. Impressive!

#6 ·
All I can say is practice, practice, practice...
My son had a few major blowouts when I first began CD (I use basically only prefolds + Dappi pull ons ) It even crossed my mind giving it up!!! I was trying the newspaper fold as well as the bikini fold with snappis but it NEVER worked... Then I tried the pins and it did not work either because I could not do it tight enough...
I tried folding and snapping, folding and pinning... it took MANY changes but now blowouts don't happen anymore (even though my baby is still only bf and has basically the same kind of poop...)

I ONLY use Dritz PIns though... I just can't get the snappis comfortable enough on my chubby baby...

#8 ·
My DS is a pooping machine and I haven't had any blowouts yet (knock on wood). I use the angel wing fold and I always snappi. I also check to make sure the dipe is fitted on ds' legs. Here's the link another mom mentioned for the different folds: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/pf_folds.html
I use Bummis whisper pants, and they have prevented a few blowouts by catching all the poo. One other thought I had is are your baby's cpf's big enough? DS outgrew his infant cpf's recently, and before his regular cpf's arrived we had several near blowouts. The whisper pants saved the day every time, but I did notice that was the only time I've had a problem with any poo leaking out of the cpf's.
HTH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.