Vaseline as a barrier? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it okay to use vaseline as a barrier against wetness? Or is there some other product that would work as a barrier? My problem is that my son gets a little redness around his butthole (sorry, I don't know any other way to say it) but it's not a rash, just redness. I was using Balmex and that got the red out but I'm worried about using it all the time on his skin - he's never really had a rash or anything but I'm worried the redness would eventually become one if I let it go. So, I was wondering if there was anything I could use (like vaseline) that would be gentler on his skin that I could use all the time. Also, is vaseline okay to use on CD?

Thanks,
Christine
#2 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe vaseline is not good for the diapers. I did read one review that Aveeno diaper cream is ok.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#3 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 PM

i would not want to use vaseline on a baby. or myself. it's a petroleum product and not really very good for you.

whenever ds had any redness i used weleda baby cream on him, and it always worked well. it has calendula in it, which helps your skin heal itself faster.
#4 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
i would not want to use vaseline on a baby. or myself. it's a petroleum product and not really very good for you.
I was thinking the same.

The Magic Stick by Natural Baby Co. works awesome. My ds was playing in the sand box last weekend and got some sand in his wet dipe, poor thing, and that combined with an upset tummy the same day made a worst-case-scenario rash (this was on dh's watch, lol). I thought it would take at least a week to really heal, but with the Magic Stick it was gone in 48 hours.
#5 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

whenever ds had any redness i used weleda baby cream on him, and it always worked well. it has calendula in it, which helps your skin heal itself faster.
I love the Weleda diaper cream. They also make a thicker diaper rash cream, but the regular one is great as a barrier. I don't think you need to use a cream every time you change though. I used it when I knew she would be in the diaper for longer, like at night, or at daycare.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#6 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 PM

has anyone ever used plain up-straight up shea butter on baby's bums?

its so much cheaper than the crazy all-natural stuff, and shea butter really is all natural...its also what i use, so i already have tons of it in the house.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#7 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 PM

I also heard vaseline wasn't good too. Last week I washed our prefolds at my MIL's and I used her detergent. My baby's bottom got red and irritated. So I used lanolin (Lansihoh) and it worked like a charm.
#8 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 AM

Knowing what I know now from the little research I’ve done I won’t ever use petroleum based product on anyone in our family. From what I understand they actually dry out skin which causes you to reapply it and turns into a never ending cycle. It also doesn't let the skin breath. Plus for me there are ethical and environmental factors that come along with petroleum. Also from what I’ve read petroleum jelly isn’t compatible with cloth diapers. So far I’ve only used Northern Essence and have been very pleased with it. I use it in combination with lots of coverless pf time and as much “nakey baby” time as our busy lives will allow. So far no serious long term rashes.
#9 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 AM

Vaseline is very bad for CDs (I'm not getting into why it's bad for everything else ).

Most barrier creams are also bad for CDs though as they leave a film/buildup that can affect absorbency and cause leaking. We love the California Baby Calendula Cream. It washes out much easier than any other.

If you're needing a barrier cream though, not just something for diaper rash treatment, then get a zinc-based one. And use a flushable liner in your CD.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#10 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM

i use extra virgin olive oil mixed with a little (VERY!) tea tree oil, lavender (i have a girl so its ok) and Calendula Oil.

my dd had a rash for about 9 weeks (and she was only 10 weeks old!) and it actually cleared it up, that and switching to cloth!
#11 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM

I use Calesine powder for rashes or redness. I don't know if it's good for CD's or not but it doesn't burn them when you put it on like desitin.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#12 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM

I would just use raw coconut oil which what I used on my girls, I love that stuff for my skin too

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#13 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM

I use lanolin - just pat it on in a thin layer, then smooth it out over the skin after it's warmed up from body-heat for a few seconds.
#14 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Coconut oil is what I am using these days. I use a liner if I am using a pocket tho just to be on the safe side. I use it as a moisturizer for me too.

caffix.gif

#15 of 16 Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Avalon Organics has a great barrier cream, just like vaseline but no petroleum.

The problem with the creams is that they do absorb into the skin so you may really want to get the barrier like Avalon Organics. I used this when my nb was in the hospital and on IV antibiotics which causes horrible diaper rash....he never got a rash!

These kinds of products aren't good for the diapers though because they don't wash out and will cause leaks. In this case I just put a small flannel wipe between the barrier cream and the diaper.
#16 of 16 Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 PM

we have used vaseline on ds since birth, its the only cream he can use because of his skin sensitivies. We dont cd though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page