Need quick help - Oxi clean baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on washing my brand new diapers tonight (starting them anyways). I was reading the literature that came with my Green Mountain order. I got Kissaluv's fitteds, and some unbleached prefolds. They suggested washing the prefolds ALOT since they are unbleached, and suggested using OxiClean baby.
When do I add this, and how much?? I have an HE front loader, so I can't open it mid cycle.
Please help!! I need to get these things washed before this boy comes into the world!!! Thanks.
(I also bought Charlies soap and Bac-Out)

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Hmm, I haven't used oxiclean for that, but when I add it to laundry in my HE washer, I usually just toss a scoop in on top of the laundry. If you use powdered detergent, you could put it in with that, but I use liquid.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 04-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Why do you need to use it? Are you dealing with stains? Unless there are stains that Charlie's or Bac-Out can't get rid of, I'd skip the Oxiclean completely.

If you're wanting to keep them whiter/brighter, clear vinegar works well, as does sunning.

I don't know why they'd suggest washing ahead of time because they're unbleached -- maybe I'm missing something? I know you have to wash a lot ahead of time to build up the absorbency, but Oxiclean wouldn't do anything here other than add one more thing that needs to be rinsed out.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 04-20-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Why do you need to use it? Are you dealing with stains? Unless there are stains that Charlie's or Bac-Out can't get rid of, I'd skip the Oxiclean completely.

If you're wanting to keep them whiter/brighter, clear vinegar works well, as does sunning.

I don't know why they'd suggest washing ahead of time because they're unbleached -- maybe I'm missing something? I know you have to wash a lot ahead of time to build up the absorbency, but Oxiclean wouldn't do anything here other than add one more thing that needs to be rinsed out.
I am washing brand new diapers so I am new to all of this. I have no clue about the OxyBaby, the literature that came with my diapers (from greenmountain.com) said "Extra oxygen cleaner will really help get your unbleached items ready to use", I have unbleached prefolds and some
KL's fitteds.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 PM

How odd. I can't imagine why they'd say to use it on new diapers. I must be missing something. I'd do the prewash with Charlie's only and save the Bac-Out for tough stains down the road, since it's enzymes and might cause some issues with sensitive skin initially. (Though if you do a hot wash after using an enzyme based cleaner that should kill off any residual enzymes.)

We used just Charlie's on ours from the get-go and it worked great (squirted liquid Charlie's directly on stains and let sit overnight or so). The prewash thing is to build up absorbency and I can't fathom how oxiclean would help that. I'd love to know the reason though!

The only thing to know ahead of time is that Charlie's will remove residue buildup from your washer and other clothes, so I'd wash a couple loads with Charlie's before washing the diapers at all. That way there's no chance of some of the residue coming off on the diapers.

Charlie's is the bomb. We love it!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM

I used a powdered oxygen cleaner with an HE machine when I was visiting relatives, and simply put it in the detergent dispenser along with the detergent. The lid instructions said detergents and non-chlorinated bleaches could go there, so I went by that. Everything turned out ok as far as I could tell.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
How odd. I can't imagine why they'd say to use it on new diapers. I must be missing something. I'd do the prewash with Charlie's only and save the Bac-Out for tough stains down the road, since it's enzymes and might cause some issues with sensitive skin initially. (Though if you do a hot wash after using an enzyme based cleaner that should kill off any residual enzymes.)

We used just Charlie's on ours from the get-go and it worked great (squirted liquid Charlie's directly on stains and let sit overnight or so). The prewash thing is to build up absorbency and I can't fathom how oxiclean would help that. I'd love to know the reason though!

The only thing to know ahead of time is that Charlie's will remove residue buildup from your washer and other clothes, so I'd wash a couple loads with Charlie's before washing the diapers at all. That way there's no chance of some of the residue coming off on the diapers.

Charlie's is the bomb. We love it!

So what exactly IS the oxybaby used for? Just stains?
I am so glad to hear you love charlies. I did do 2 loads with a few washcloths with charlies to get the residue out of the washer. We use Tide and Downy, so I feel like I need to switch to charlies for all of my laundry because it doesn't make sense to use it, then turn around and use tide and downy (and my hand is heavy with the downy!). Do you use it for all of your laundry, or just CD's? If you do, does it clean big people clothes as well as it does baby stuff?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseensmommy View Post
So what exactly IS the oxybaby used for? Just stains?
I am so glad to hear you love charlies. I did do 2 loads with a few washcloths with charlies to get the residue out of the washer. We use Tide and Downy, so I feel like I need to switch to charlies for all of my laundry because it doesn't make sense to use it, then turn around and use tide and downy (and my hand is heavy with the downy!). Do you use it for all of your laundry, or just CD's? If you do, does it clean big people clothes as well as it does baby stuff?
Absolutely ditch the Tide and Downey -- they are both leaving all kinds of crud on your clothes and your washer. I had no clue when we first started that was the case, but I ended up stripping our towels (they'd smell musty after only one or two uses) and turns out it was the detergent and softeners leaving residue behind.

Charlie's cleans DOG BEDS. Seriously. It is amazing stuff. If you're wanting a softer feel on your clothes, ditch the Downey and get some clear vinegar. Add it to the rinse cycle. It won't smell (rinses out) but works just as well as a softener but without the residue crap.

It was hard to give up my softener though as I loved the smell. But once I started using Charlie's for everything I realized I wasn't having as many issues with skin irritation. And I liked my clothes being clean and not smelling perfumey. Once the baby arrived I was totally paranoid about perfumes and such and these are things I'd never noticed or thought about before I had her. Babies get acne from being touched -- the oils on people's skin or lotions, or soaps, even. Their skin is so sensitive and porous (esp. before 6 months) that any kind of perfumey stuff on clothes or blankets can irritate their skin.

Anyway. Ditch the other stuff and use Charlie's for everything. If you are using Downey to deal with static, wad up aluminum foil and stick the ball in your dryer.

The only thing I used Oxiclean for were stains or yellowing and honestly it doesn't rinse out cleanly for me with my inserts, but I have an older washer. I ended up having to strip my inserts from using Oxiclean. Most people use it and have no issues, but heck even Borax can leave a residue at times, so it really depends on using it only when you need, and only if it works for you and your washer. Some people use OC instead of chlorine bleach. The only time you should need to use bleach is if you're dealing with a virus, IME. Charlie's, vinegar and sunshine work great for keeping things white.

Vinegar works great for yellowing and Bac-Out gets rid of stains if I'm impatient and not wanting to let the Charlie's sit on something for a while. The only stain Charlie's hasn't gotten out for me is rust. Everything else? Including blueberry-based breastfed poop? Yep. Might take sitting with Charlie's on it through a couple washings but it gets the stuff out.

(Can you tell I love their stuff? hehe.)

Anyway, I'd pick up a bottle of Simple Green (auto dept Target) and do a hot empty load (or toss in an old ratty towel) and that will remove all the residue buildup instantly. That way you don't have to worry about Charlie's having to do double duty to clean your washer and your diapers. But if you keep using Tide and Downey then there's a good chance that the Charlie's might not work as well because everytime you wash dipes, it's having to clean your washer too.

And because of this, it can result in residue buildup being deposited on clothes or diapers, which can result in skin irritation. We used All F&C for years, then switched to 7th Generation, and used Charlie's for the dipes. I realized our washer had residue (because of the towels stinking), got some Simple Green, cleaned the washer, and stopped using any detergent other than Charlie's.

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy and hooray! For deciding to use cloth diapers.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Nighten
Thank you SO much for all of the good info. I am almost out of my charlies from prewashing my dipes (I only bought the smallest bottle of liquid), so I think i'm going to make a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow and start using it for everything. I guess I will pass along my 1/2 full Tide and Downy to my mom!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 AM

Oh my goodness, you're so welcome! And I'm glad I wasn't coming off as obnoxious about it all.

I order Charlie's in bulk now directly from them (because I'm lazy and it's cheaper). I buy the gallon jug size (with the pump -- it dispenses the 1/8 cup needed per load) so that way I don't have to worry about ordering more for a Very. Long. Time. And shipping is free.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

The oxyclean baby will break down the fibers faster, but there is really no need. Just prewash a few times with the Charlie's. See if they are absorbing anything, and if they are use them. If they still seem to not be sucking much up, wash a few more times. Use the oxyclean when there are stains or if things don't seem to be getting clean.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM

It's a fair decent thing to have around if you have hard water...the soda ash that it releases helps bind up minerals in the water and the peroxide kills germs. Of course, the peroxide can also over time, hurt fabric, not nearly to the extent of say, 1/4 cup bleach would do, though.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone! This is all overwhelming right now , but everyone here is so great!!

User Tag List