The Realities of CDing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if there have been threads about this before, I'm not very good at searching!

Dh and I are expecting our first and have always assumed we would CD. Both of us were CD babies and I remember my Mom talking about how it wasn't THAT bad, back in the day where it was just a rectangle of white cloth with diaper pins. She said she just dunked the poopy ones in the toilet, threw them all in the pail, and then washed them in the washer. I know CD have come a loooong way in terms of style, but no one I know is CDing to give us a picture of what it's really like to actually CD a baby. Is it still that easy? (at least it sounds easy! )

I ask b/c last night, after hanging out with a 1.5 yr old in disposables, Dh asked if we were really going to be able to do CD - to which he meant "are we really going to WANT to do CD". I thought some of you lovely ladies could give us a better idea of what it'd actually be like! Thanks in advance!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Oh it's not even that bad, I've never dunked a diaper in the toilet! If you get a diaper with a polyester inner layer (microfleece or suedecloth), the poop just rolls off pretty easy. If you are using all natural materials you can still get a sprayer to spray the poop off into the toilet, still no dunking required. I'm on my 4th year of CDing (2nd kid) and I don't even remember the last time I had a buy a diaper, it's so nice not to go down the diaper aisle every time I go to the store. And I LOVE not having diapers taking over the trash can. I love that I never run out, I can just wash them if I need them, I don't have to leave home to get diapers. My older DS is potty trained but still wets the bed sometimes. It's nice not to spend $16+ for a pack of pull ups, because he just wears a cloth "pull up" instead. When I see 1.5 year olds in disposables I think "Poor things, her parents had to pay for diapers for the past year and a half and they are still having to buy them." And I'm grateful that I don't have to. And truthfully, a disposable diaper has a nasty smell when it is peed in. Really gross.

The worst thing is, well I can't really think of a worse thing, I guess putting them from the diaper pail into the washing machine can be smelly for second, until you close the washing machine lid. That's about it.

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM

I have a daughter with chronic runny poo, which requires dunking (we don't have a sprayer), but neither DH or I are bothered much by it. ITA agree about the smell from the pail to the washer - I just try to hold my breath as long as possible.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Having done both CDs and sposies, it is really not that different, IMO. I used BGs for a while, now use prefolds, flats and covers. It's a little more work, but not unmanageable at all. Diaper changes take maybe a minute or two longer if that, and are a little more frequent. If you dunk or spray, that's maybe another minute. I wash every night and it barely takes time at all. Throw in machine, turn on, then run another cycle then throw in dryer. It's almost satisfying in a way, to take a pail of dirty dipes and make them pristine again. Since I wash daily, there's not a whole lot to fold. I'd say it takes less than a week to get your routine down smooth and efficient.

Yes, I have my moments when I think "why did I get back into this???" Usually right after I clean up a messy poop and re-diaper DS only to have him poop again. But those things happen with sposies too, and at least with cloth, I don't think "well, there's another wasted diaper". I've only had one blowout with CDs versus too many to count with sposies. Plus, if you have a few varieties in your stash, it keeps things a little interesting, rather than the same old routine diaper change. You can customize for different situations (naps, nighttime, outings, or just around the house). We've even stayed for a week at a relative's and did just fine using cloth only. Last, but not least, now that DS is standing and trying to walk, I feel better knowing that there is a cushy dipe protecting his bum when he falls, and not some thin paper thing offering no shock absorption!

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

I love using cloth diapers. When DD was first born we had her in sposies and I honestly don't feel like cloth is much harder. If you are looking for simplicity, I love pocket diapers (you just stuff a insert inside and take it out when you wash) or All in Ones (most like disposables, just stick them on then throw them in the wash)

We have never dunked in the toilet, I bought a diaper sprayed off E-Bay which works pretty well They also have disposable liners that you can just toss in the toilet when dirtied.

I personally like cloth better because there are no chemicals, plus it is better for the environment
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM

We use pocket dipes, because they have the ease of use of disposables, but the customization factor that allows us to increase absorbency as needed (for heavy wetting or nighttime use, etc.). It depends on your budget and whether you're wanting to deal with separate covers, etc. We wanted something very easy to use, with good resell value. For us that choice was Fuzzi Bunz. Others here prefer different types and brands. That's been a great choice for us.

Breastfed poop washes out like yogurt so no need to dunk or spray or anything.

Once solid foods are introduced, you get the peanut butter/chocolate icing consistency. Some people use a plastic spatula (keep it in a toilet brush holder by the toilet) or a sprayer attached to the toilet. We use toilet paper and just scraped the bulk off. Whatever was left on the diaper stayed there until it went into the washer.

Once the poop firmed up more, it started falling off into the toilet easily.

You can also use flushable liners to catch poop, though we don't mess with them usually. It's no big deal to scrape off poop.

The biggest thing about CDing, IME, is your laundry routine and detergent. You should use a 100% water soluble detergent, so no residue at all is left on the diapers to affect absorbency or wicking/leaks. Nearly all the mainstream brands (including most "free and clear" ones) have brightening dyes that will coat the fibers and encourage bacteria buildup in the residue left behind. You'll know this has happened because the diapers won't absorb as well and/or will have a nasty ammonia stink after baby urinates.

To avoid that, stick with a water soluble detergent from the get-go. We love liquid Charlie's Soap. Here's a chart -- you want NO across the board and non-castille-based.

Typical laundry routine for us is cold short rinse, cold soak with Charlie's, hot wash with Charlie's and cold rinse. Dry on low or line dry. For extra whitening or if you're dealing with static, you can add clear vinegar to the wash or rinse cycle. How often you wash is dependent on how many diapers you have and vice versa. I wash every 3-4 days now. When she was a newborn it was pretty much every other day.

We use a dry pail (less gross and not a safety hazard) but not an airtight container (mildew issues otherwise). We use cheap nylon laundry bags as diaper pail liners. You can get the PUL expensive ones, or use nothing at all. It depends on your budget.

Is it easy? Well, yes and no. I think it's very easy, but I'm used to it. And frankly not a lot is "easy" when you're dealing with sleep deprivation and constant laundry (CDs or not CDs). But is it better for the environment? Absolutely. Even with the additional water and energy used to launder them, you're still saving space in a landfill. And even if you use disposables, you're supposed to scrape the poop off before tossing in the garbage, so I don't see the extra steps saved in using disposables honestly, aside from laundry.

But doing one or two loads of diapers every few days is not a pain. If I weren't washing diapers it'd be something else (there's always laundry to do!).

And it's cheaper in the longrun, even if you do what we did and go with a more expensive brand of diaper. Unless your LO learns to use the potty before age two and is completely diaper free, then still buying the expensive brands of CDs is likely going to be cheaper than using disposables. PLUS, you can reuse CDs for another child (or sell them for someone else to use). Can't do that with 'sposies.

Has it been worth it? Definitely. We're at age two and still nowhere close to being diaper-free.

Best of luck to you, Mama! Hope you find the info you need.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM

It is SO much easier than you ever thought it would be. I liked the idea before I had DD, but didn't want to wash them myself because... ew. So we started out with a diaper service (which I would recommend to anyone in the beginning, it's just so much easier to let someone else deal with it in the beginning). We used them for about 4 months, and dealing with poo every day was nowhere near as repulsive as I thought it was going to be. Plus, even with the diaper service (or if you use disposables), you are still going to have the occasional blowout.... poo everywhere... So I figured if I have to deal with it every day anyway, why not just start washing them myself? So we bought a bunch of pocket diapers (my DP's favorite is BumGenius- only kind he will use) which are just about as easy as disposables.

Also, with a BF baby, the poo really doesn't smell. So having a big bucket of dirties in your house won't make it smell like poo (which is what I was expecting.) We used disposables a couple times as a backup, and I those smelled SO BAD!!! You don't realize how gross disposables are until you've been using cloth for a while. As soon as DD would pee and it would hit all those chemicals in the disposables, I could smell it across the room! Talk about ew.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM

The reality is that cloth diapering is easier than disposables!

We've CD since day one with DD and she'll be 10 months old this week.

I've tried all of the variations of CD, from prefolds and flats, fitteds, pockets, all-in-ones, pul covers, wool covers... okay I guess I haven't tried contours! I tried these all for FUN. Yeah, how sick is that?! For awhile buying new diapers was my obsession, but now I've settled on pockets.

Anyway, I have a stash of pocket diapers, which go on just like sposies, I have my cloth wipes in tray, I have a 13 gallon garbage can with a lid, lined with a pul liner. I now have a sprayer for poops since we started solids. I have a box of country save detergent next to my washer.
The soiled diaper comes off, goes in the pail. The tush is wiped, wipe goes in the pail. New diaper goes on. This takes 2 minutes. Then every morning I empty the pail into the washer, including the liner. I add 1 tablespoon of detergent, run a cold wash with extra rinse. This takes 45 minutes, I then open the washer, add 1/2 tablespoon of detergent and run a hot wash with extra rinse. This takes 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then everything goes in the dryer on hot for 1 hour. By the end of the day the diapers are stuffed with liners and ready to go. Easy!

I never run out of diapers.

I don't have to worry about how much disposables cost, clip coupons or watch for sales.

I have only had 1 blow out diaper, ever. (And only because my sister put the diaper on DD way too loose, so we had a mess out the leg hole. She puts them on correctly now!)

I never have a wet bed, since DD never leaks at night. (She is not changed during the night - can wear a bum genius one size pocket for 12 hours.) So I'm not changing sheets in the middle of the night.

I don't have to change her clothes 2 or 3 times a day, since they never get wet or dirty.

I don't have to change my clothes because the baby leaked on to me. (Happens to my sposie using friends.)

We have never had a diaper rash.

CD are better for the planet.

I support a USA company, and a SAHM for my inserts.

I save money, even when buying "Fluff".

You can resell what your child is done using and put that money back in the "diaper fund".

Hmmm..... I'm sure there is more!

Give it a try! It's so much easier than you think.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM

I have never used disposables so I can't compare but I love cloth diapering and cloth diapers. I don't find it difficult at all - I would have a problem with having to run out to the store everytime I ran out of diapers and with storing/hauling a giant bag of diaper trash to the curb every week. yuck!

Plus CDs are just so darn cute!

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Really, it's not hard or inconvenient at all. In fact I am in love with cloth diapering. It is fun trying out different styles and combos and they all just look so cute on my ds's butt. I find sposies so boring...When baby was born I told a nurse that I was going to cd. She said to me "well you'll have to treat yourself once in a while and use disposables." So not true!! If I want to treat myself, I'll save up for a bit and buy a new kind of dipe to try out, or another of something I really like. This is coming from a mama who spent all morning boiling prefolds (detergent build-up I think)....and cding still comes out on top, way ahead of disposables.

caffix.gif

Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much ladies!!!

I'm reading excerpts to my Dh and we're feeling inspired. The idea of disposables did NOT appeal, I think we just suddenly realized we'd no idea what it'd actually be like these days! You've all given great descriptions, so thanks again!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 AM

DH and I are about to have our first. I've diapered a lot of babies in my time (youngest sister, lots of babysitting jobs as a teenager, plus I cared for my best friend's child for a summer while she worked in exchange for a place to crash). DH has never diapered, period. Well, he has diapered one of my classroom stuffed animals because he wanted to learn how before the baby came.

His attitude is... "I've never done this before, in any fashion, so whatever we do will be my norm." He's like a beautiful blank slate for me to write on.

I've used both CDs and sposies with other people's kids, and really, there's not that much of a difference, if you take out the laundry aspect... and diapers aren't DIFFICULT laundry. No one cares if your diapers get all wrinkly because you left them in the dryer after it buzzed. With my best friend's kid, I didn't even have the advantage of starting out with a tiny little newborn. I plunged in at that six months, intro-to-solid-foods stage. With prefolds. It was seriously not an issue. I mean, yeah, the first few diapers I put on her looked a little funny, but babies are remarkably non-judgemental when it comes to butt fashion.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Oh it's not even that bad, I've never dunked a diaper in the toilet! If you get a diaper with a polyester inner layer (microfleece or suedecloth), the poop just rolls off pretty easy. If you are using all natural materials you can still get a sprayer to spray the poop off into the toilet, still no dunking required.
yep

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I havent read any of the replies, so i'm sure i'm repeating some info.

But...i started cloth diapering a couple of months ago when i received a foster baby....mostly i just wanted to buy some fun stuff (cloth diaper sites are SO addictive!), and used the excuse "i'm saving money in the long run!" to go ahead and throw down a large chunk of change on some nice diapers. i decided to go with a mix of stuff, but i mostly have Motherease bamboo sandys (fitted dipes w/ snaps), some prefolds (these i mostly use as great burp cloths, as i only bought a dozen, i'd recommend buying more like three dozen even if you plan on using another type of diaper, because they are SO handy!), some ME AIOs, various covers (Motherease, Thirsties which i love, BSSW)...

I am actually very surprised at how easy it is. I dont even have a pail, just a huge wetbag i bought at Green Mountain Diapers that i keep in my bedroom, and throw the wet diapers in there (until i get some smaller wetbags i have been putting poopy diapers in plastic grocery bags to keep them somewhat seperate, which isnt great, but is what i do for now....there are only a couple poopy ones per load though)....it really doesnt smell at all (either that or i'm immune...but i dont think it does). I wash about every three days.

I wasnt expecting to feel so positive about it....there is nothing quite like a whole clean load of freshly laundered fluffy diapers, they look so cute on the baby. I thought it would be hard to fit his clothes with a big diaper butt...but its not. I thought they might cause a rash since he'd feel "wetter"...but it hasnt. I thought that they would leak or i'd have to change him more often, but i have never had a leak, not even at night. I changed him quite often with disposables, at least every two hours, or more often, and i do the same with cloth.

I definitely dont do any dunking or rinsing or spraying....occasionally when i am at the washing machine and dumping the diapers in, if a poopy diaper has been sitting for a few days, the poop has had time to kind of solidify (he's formula fed, btw), and i can just roll it off, so i might do that. But thats it. I'm pretty fanatical about rinsing (during the wash cycles), so i probably wash more than is necessary (right now i do a cold wash w/ extra rinse, then i remove the covers, do a hot wash w/ extra rinse, then i put the covers back in and do a warm wash with no detergent, w/ extra rinse. I could probably avoid one of those, to save water....i might experiment with that.I just want to make sure all the detergent is out.)

I think you'll really enjoy using cloth once you find a system you like!

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 AM

We were gifted some leftover bags of newborn disposables by a neighbor and used those for the first few weeks of DD's life. There were messy leaks and poopy sheets and icky diaper pail smells. Sometimes, after a night of wiggling, I'd find the diaper had slid down to her feet- guess her butt was too skinny to keep them up.

Anyhow- I felt pretty nervouse breaking out our cloth diapers for the first time. But it is So Much Better! Once I mastered getting the legs on the covers snug there haven't been any leeks. No more poopy sheets or clothes. No squishy stinky diaper in the morning and no more poopy smelling diaper pail.

Trying different styles can be fun and the covers these days are very cute. Laundering is not hard and once you find a pattern that works for you and your water/washing machine it's a snap. My daughter is still young and pre-solids so I don't do any poo scraping, but disposable diaper liners also mean you don't have to do the toilet dunking thing anymore.

An added bonus of using cloth is that you may not have to deal with diapers as long. Cloth diapering leads to earlier toilet training.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 AM

I use a combo of one-size pockets and prefolds/covers. And CD'ing is easier for me than sposies, even without a washer/dryer!! I just wash approx. every other day...truck my wetbag down the the laundromat in my apartment complex, then hang them to dry on a wood rack on my porch. I went thru thousands of sposies with my first. He finally PL'd at 3.5 yo. We used sposies in the beginning (meconium...yuck!) with our newest addition. It was just easier in the first weeks. But now I couldn't imagine going back to them!! I love my cloth!!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 AM

i've done both and i'll take washing an extra load of clothes over taking out an extra bag of garbage any day. day-to-day that is the only difference.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM

I have friends who tell me they can't understand why I CD. I can't understand why they don't!

I use a flip lid trash can (the kind you step on to open) with a pull out liner as a diaper pail, and wash daily so unless the deed has just been done we never have a smell. I have a sprayer attached to the toilet which I hardly use now that she's older.

I started with fitteds, liners & wraps, but went crazy over my first pocket diaper!

I sometimes get sposies in the mail as samples and I really couldn't imagine using them. They have such an offputting chemical smell, and one had this creepy blue interior, I guess to absorb a lot. Plus they're paper thin. How is that little thing at all comfortable? Or able to hold all my DD can throw at a diaper?

Today I'm watching a friend's DD and using the sposies she brought, and I'm thinking to myself, this is so much more work! I have no idea how to even tell when she's wet have to take these to the trash every change, I have to also throw away the wipes she normally uses (we use cloths w/ soap & water), I have to get all this outside my house each day so we don't smell like a sewer, I (would) have to go buy these every week, etc. etc. I'll just wash & fold 10 diapers a day, thank you very much!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfeet View Post
one had this creepy blue interior, I guess to absorb a lot.
We used ones like this when we used sposies, and DS got a horrible rectangular shaped rash on the area that matched the blue interior. Apparently it does more than just absorb.

I'll take cloth any day!

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
Old 04-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Cloth is easy. The hardst thing is deciding on a diaper that works for everyone and then figuring out a wash routine to go with th dipes.

Until the babe is pretty havily on solids you don't even have to dunk th dipes. After that, invest in a shower sprayer. I wash daily, but I have 3 in dipes.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I think it's easiest to start from day one CDing. That way you get into a routine and can stick with it. I've known several people who say they are going to start with disposables and then transition over, only to find it hard to make that transition.

I won't repeat what everyone else has suggested here. I will say that when I sold my NB stash, I got back around 70% of what I spent, so for my LO's first three and half months or so, it only cost me about $80 to diaper her.

We have not had a single poo blowout in CD, but the one week she was in disposables for thrush/yeast rash, EVERY poo was a blowout. And the first time I had to walk a disposable over to the trash can, it felt SO WRONG! Diapers don't go in the trash! Not to mention, to buy one single pack of disposables (7th Gen) was the same price as buying a CD I could use over and over again.

I my CDs!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to those who added their two cents!

**Off to enjoy the fun of researching and building my stash!**

User Tag List