Cloth diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, i've been hearing a lot about environmentally friendly options in life from here and from TV. I don't really have any eco friendly friends. Just you know, the kinds that recycle their garbage. So i'm a little lost as to what to do with all the cloth diapering options. I'm attempting to discuss the benefits of cloth diapering with my DH but it's kinda hard with navy email being a punk and not letting half my emails through. Anyway, what are my options, and what are the best options? Should I get a diaper service? Are diaper service diapers good diapers? What would you recommend?

So far according to my research... unbleached organic cotton is best cus it lasts the longest (for washing at home)...

And I also heard about something that's not disposable but not cloth either. http://www.gdiapers.com/ Are those an option? Or are they bad for the environment too?

I'm pretty confused to say the least. I just don't want to destroy the environment with my baby.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#2 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 AM

Have you looked into elimination communication at all? Even doing it part-time would save on the impact of whatever option you choose. At playgroups, I am always seeing mamas change two diapers in a row, because the kid wanted to "go" in a clean diaper. Seems like such a waste to me.

I look forward to your responses, though, as I do want to have some cloth around too.
#3 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM

We are looking into this too. I am sure that I want to use cloth diapers and I want to launder them myself, but my DP is going to do some research before he is on board. I admit I don't know any of the stats, but although I do get his point that laundering diapers wastes water and energy for running the washer/heating the water, I can't imagine that this would top the amount of impact of the alternative - all those diapers in the landfill. If we did ever use disposables we would have to use the chemical-free ones because I have read that the pampers option has a lot of bad stuff for baby in them. So that expense is another consideration. Plus, the cloth diaper options out there are so cute ! I would much rather have my babe covered in cotton, wool and fleece than plastic.

I don't think we will be doing the EC, our lives are hectic and I think we would miss a lot. I would consider the diaper service thing, if I didn't have a washer. But they tend to use a lot of bleach, which I consider unnecessary.

So..... I'm interested to say what other people here on the forum would say.

As for emailing your husband. Why don't you make the decision without him, I'm sure he will respect your thinking.

#4 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 AM

I love cloth! : Not only is it better for the environment, it's better for baby without all those harsh bleaches and dyes. And it's soooooo cute and soft. After using cloth diapers for 10 months, as soon as AF returned and I pulled out my old disposable pads, I could not stand the chemical smell or the itching, plasticy feeling. I switched to a Diva cup and cloth pads, and there was a huge difference. Who knew itching wasn't a normal part of your menstrual cycle?! So now I know first hand how much more comfortable cloth is to disposable.

I would recommend checking out the cd forum here, as well as diaperswappers.com for more info. I have a couple friends who used a service. If you go this route, make sure you know what they're using to wash the diapers. I would also buy my own covers. Both my friends (in different cities) had worn out, stretched covers that leaked.

There are hundreds of options for cds, so it really depends on what your goals are. Are you looking to save money? Then get some prefolds and really good covers. For environmental options, you may also want to look into hemp or bamboo prefolds, as they are better environmentally than cotton, and hemp is super absorbent. You will need infant-sized prefolds at first, which will last a few months, and then make excellent burp cloths, doublers, and stuffers. Then you will want the regular sized prefolds, which can last until potty training.

Is having all natural fibers important to you? Then I would actually skip the prefolds, and go for a good fitted diaper with wool covers. Prefolds are great, but bf baby poo will escape the diaper at some point. A good PUL wrap will keep the poo from leaking everywhere, but you will be washing a lot of wool if you go this route. My friends who use wool all pretty much come to a point where they switch to fitteds.

Is convenience necessary, and will you need something easy for dh or another caregiver? Then All in Ones are the way to go.

My personal rec is to start out basic (and cheap!) and then gradually add on from there. After you get a basic prefold/cover pack, you can experiment with buying a few different kinds of fitteds or AIO, depending on your dc's traits. Is the baby a heavy wetter or a light wetter? Chubby thighs or skinny thighs? Really sensitive to wet? Those are the kinds of things that can help you decide what direction to go in, and you can't know that until you have one!

Good luck!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#5 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM

We use cloth and love it as well. we started when DS was about 7 months, but will use it right from the start with this baby. I'm planning on using prefolds and covers and some fitteds/pockets to fill in.

I started out by getting a sample pack from www.wildflowerdiapers.com that had a little bit of everything. This helped me to figure out what I liked to use. I liked reading reviews on www.diaperpin.com. Diaper swappers is a great place to buy used diapers so you can try out a certain brand without committing as much money upfront.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#6 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM

So much information! I have at least 25 cloth diapering sites for information. A great resource, as someone else mentioned, is diaperswappers.com. Not only is it good for basic information, you can get cloth diapers there for decent prices (new and used). Once you get started, it's easy to get addicted. There are some really cute diapers out there! When pg with DD2 I had looked into a diaper service, but there aren't any around me. I found it's just as easy to do my own diaper laundry, and that way I know how it's washed. It takes a bit of practice to get the washing routine perfect, there are lots of different recommendations on methods and detergents. A good place to look for detergent recs is www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com, they have a whole section on washing and which detergents do what. There are so many resources out there to let you know the different types of diapers. Personally, I don't *get* g-diapers. You're still throwing something away and it seems like as much work as cloth too. Doesn't make sense to me. Good luck!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#7 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 AM

... wildflowerdiapers....the package..which one are you refering to? The simplicity one? they have so many package deals to chose from. I have been collecting wahm aio's on ebay and i love what i've gotten so far. How ever i would like to try prefolds with covers and i dont know who to go with. It can be overwhelming at first. I also am concerend about being able to wash diapers in only cold water and having no dryer. As i may be moving back to MX after baby is born. Is cold water/no dryer ok with cloth?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#8 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM

DS was a very chubby-thighed baby right from birth. We use prefolds with a Snappi for closing and Bummis covers. Rarely a leak at any point (I get more poo leaks when I use disposables).

We chose prefolds because of their price and indestructibility. The Bummis covers are expensive (here in Canada they are $12), but worth it. We originally bought 4 and found that adequate until he moved up a size and started eating solids. Now, we line with Bummis liners and have 10 covers (for multiple poo days).

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#9 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
... wildflowerdiapers....the package..which one are you refering to? The simplicity one? they have so many package deals to chose from. I have been collecting wahm aio's on ebay and i love what i've gotten so far. How ever i would like to try prefolds with covers and i dont know who to go with. It can be overwhelming at first. I also am concerend about being able to wash diapers in only cold water and having no dryer. As i may be moving back to MX after baby is born. Is cold water/no dryer ok with cloth?
I apologize. I actually ordered my sampler from www.thanksmama.com
http://www.thanksmama.com/product_p/dpk-026.htm

I heard that Green Mountain Diapers have great prefolds.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#10 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM

We gDiapered our Tess and really loved it. Some studies even say it is better for the environment than cloth becasue it uses even less water and the wet ones can be composted. The down side is that they can be rough on septic systems, especially if flushed improperly, and they are a bit spendy.
With Lucy we are going to use cloth, prefolds and Happy Hempys with fleece covers sewn by my sister and wool crocheted by me mostly! We also have some gDiapers left that we will use and some OS pockets. The world of cloth is so huge and confusing!
#11 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM

I think cloth makes so much sense. (We're going to do some elimination communication, as well.) The money savings alone, if you do prefolds and covers, or gently used, plus if you use the same diapers on multiple children over the years, are huge--I want to use that money to fund baby's college education!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Is cold water/no dryer ok with cloth?
I know no dryer is absolutely fantastic for cloth! Line dried diapers will save you tons of money, use a lot less energy, and the sun will bleach out stains, too. I can't be sure about cold water, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSarah11 View Post
We gDiapered our Tess and really loved it. Some studies even say it is better for the environment than cloth becasue it uses even less water and the wet ones can be composted. The down side is that they can be rough on septic systems, especially if flushed improperly, and they are a bit spendy.
With Lucy we are going to use cloth, prefolds and Happy Hempys with fleece covers sewn by my sister and wool crocheted by me mostly! We also have some gDiapers left that we will use and some OS pockets. The world of cloth is so huge and confusing!
I have some cd'ing friends who really like the g diapers for traveling and they like them. The one thing about the composting that worries me is that the inserts have the absorbent crystals in them, and I'm not really sure I want them in my yard/garden. Did you find composting worked well for you?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#12 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the diaper service in my area: http://www.seattlediaper.com/

The only thing I don't really like about a diaper service is the fact that I'll have to fold the diapers on my baby and use a snappi to hold it in place.

I would prefer using fitted diapers. I think they sound like the easiest option for convenience and washing. I'd probably have a few all in ones as well for when someone babysits. My biggest thing is that I'm kinda lazy sometimes, and when it comes to laundry I wait until I run out of clothing to wash anything. I can just see this happening with cloth diapers. Ugh. I'm not sure I want to do laundry that often. But I suppose since i'll be home anyway... it won't kill me.

DH says ok, but he doesn't like the idea of washing all those dirty diapers either. lol. Even though he wouldn't be washing them.

#13 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM

wow! funfunky you have got it figured out! I am just reading all of these posts now, this evening, and am still confused.

From all of this great feedback I think I will either:
buy prefolds and covers for the newborn
or---
go with fitted diapers with fleece covers

What do you all think diaper-experienced mommies?

Also, I love the sampler idea, but in the end I think I might just need a good direction to go in. Ok so---Bummis are good covers and Green Mountain makes good prefolds. (thank you ! ) Does anyone have a good recommendations for fitted diapers? Or fleece covers? Or also- hemp.

Thank you ! for all of this info so far, I felt like I was drowning a bit in the cloth diaper world of options.
#14 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM

I haven't heard good things about gdiapers.

we used pockets on DS because I needed easy and they are easy. I'm not sure what we'll do for this one. I'm open to trying anything really. We'll only do it part time though since I'll need to return to work and daycare won't do cloth.

Mothering just had a feature on CD'ing and I found it really helpful. Maybe you can pick up a copy of it- it's the March/ April 08 issue.
(the CD forums here are great, too!!)

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#15 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM

I am so confused.. I would like to cloth diaper.. but am having trouble trying to figure it all out. For a newborn .. how many prefolds do you need? I get that the snappis hold the prefold in place.. but does the cover get soiled too?? Do you end up washing the cover with the prefolds every time as well? Also.. when you have the cloth diapers with the insert.. do you put the prefold inside that slot.. or do you put the prefold just inside the diaper.. and if you use the prefold in the slot.. doesnt the baby soil the fitted cloth diaper? For a newborn what would i need?? And can anybody recommend some brand names? Thanks for the help!!!
#16 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In keeping with the DDC Guidelines, I am moving this over to the cloth diapering forum. We have some wonderful cloth diapering experts over there!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Helpful sites to figure it out: www.diaperjungle.com and www.greenmountaindiapers.com

It also helped me to find local stores so I could feel the diapers and finally understand all the terminology. I found stores by going to manufacturer sites and looking for retailers. Bummis, Fuzzibunz, happy heiny's were helpful.

I'm new to cloth and I started by buying a few prefolds and bummis wraps, a Kissaluvs contour and a pocket diaper. On my newborn I'm using infant prefolds with small bummis wraps. This will work for awhile and I'm pretty sure we'll use a pocket diaper or AIO as she'll go to daycare eventually.

I think I've been researching for 3 months and I'm starting to figure it out. It's become a hobby and I've become quite the diaper nerd. I've had a lot of fun figuring it out. Hope you do too.
#18 of 26 Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 PM

I just had a big discussion today with my mom and my aunt about how great cloth diapering is, so I wanted to add my two cents. Our 9-month DD has been exclusively cloth diapered from birth, and we think it's really easy and fun, besides the whole cheap and good for the environment part. :

We would like to experiment, but can't really afford it, so we just do prefolds (hand-me-downs) and covers (we use Bumkins). You don't have to wash the covers every time, just when they get dirty or smelly. We really like our system, and other people who use disposable diapers who have seen what we do say that it looks just as easy as disposables. (I wouldn't know; disposables seem hard to me because I have no experience with them.)

My big piece of advice is: do what feels easiest and most convenient to you, so that you enjoy using cloth and don't feel tempted to change. If that means a diaper service, I would say go for it. I've heard some really good things about them. For us, it meant mostly copying what one of my friends did, just changing a few things as we went along and gained experience.

Have fun!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#19 of 26 Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 AM

I'm planning on using cloth diapers (prefolds and wraps) for this upcoming babe with gdiapers for extended travel (we're going to go out of town on a research project very soon after DS2 is born and planning on using them then).

The only bad thing I've heard about gdiapers is that they make people who would cloth diaper not go with cloth and go with them instead.

Still I think they are a much better alternative to traditional sposies which never break down and sit in landfills for 200+ years. But that's JMO.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#20 of 26 Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM

quick question: do you have to buy the snappis in addition to the prefolds, or do they come with them ?
#21 of 26 Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newclementine View Post
quick question: do you have to buy the snappis in addition to the prefolds, or do they come with them ?
As far as i've seen, you have to buy them separately. I suppose if you bought some special pack that included snappis with them for convenience... then I guess they would. Snappis are just an alternative to pins. Pins just make me nervous though.

#22 of 26 Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM

If you get the Bummis kit from here www.nurtured.ca she includes a snappi!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#23 of 26 Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM

ok- I figured out the snappi part
xo

DP has given the environmental thumbs up! hooray we're going to cloth diaper the babe!
#24 of 26 Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM

" Does anyone have a good recommendations for fitted diapers? Or fleece covers? Or also- hemp."

Hemp is an amazing fabric to use. It is incredibly absorbent (almost twice that of cotton or microfibers, is antibacterial and lasts forever. Hemp Fleece is extremely soft, like the inside of a sweatshirt, and works great as prefolds, in wraps or pockets.

I have used hemp on my three children, and it is far superior. Its nice to know there's only natural products (and organic at that) next to my babies sensitive areas, and definitely no bleach!

Catherine
HomeGrownBabyStore.com
#25 of 26 Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I'm sure not getting any support out here towards cloth diapering! *sigh* All the moms I know are too lazy to cloth diaper. I told them that I'm getting a diaper service, so it'll be much more convenient. Not even that interests them. What am I to do?

#26 of 26 Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Get used to being different? What they do or think doesn't matter, as long as you and your babe are happy. It would be nice if people would at least try new things, especially if there are some fairly compelling reasons to, but lots of people won't.

Chances are, you're going to come up against lots of these issues in parenting if you decide to do anything that's not the norm.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page