I tried salt and vinegar! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just did my first wash load using 1/4 c of salt and a 1/4 vinegar and my dipes came out clean, no smells AND I didn't need to rinse them 10 million times!!!!

I pre treat w/microbe clean which is like bac-out w/out the essential oils.

Worth a try for anyone battling deterg issues!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 PM

What kind of washer do you have, front or top loader?

Thanks!
#3 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 AM

I've never heard of this before - I'll have to test it out

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!

#4 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

I have a top loader but I'll be spending the summer w/a front loader and I plan to use the same washing routine. It's actually been a week now and it is working REALLY well! I literally had to rinse dipes all day long to get the deterg out and I was using only drops of the stuff (planet deterg) and now I just rinse the microbe clean out, do a cycle w/the salt and vinegar and Voila! I have a LOT of hemp that is second generation (2 of my kids used it) and thus more given to "odors/build-up" and it is coming out soft and odor free !

#5 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Does this get stains out too?

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#6 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

IMVHO I can honestly say that after cd'ing 3 kids NOTHING but bleach is going to get ALL stains except for sunning them out. I generally rinse my kids dipes after poopies and this gets rid of most of the stain making beasties. The stains that are left after rinsing and spraying w/microbe clean (bac-out equivalent) don't come out even w/regular deterg (and I've tried at least 6 varieties over the yrs). I don't use bleach and sunning is not an option for me so I don't mind the odd stain here and there as long as there's no lingering odor! So the answer is I don't see much difference (stain fighting wise) between salt/vinegar and deterg. Neither of these methods is going to get out stubborn stains. What I do notice a difference w/is that the dipes often retain odors when I wash them w/deterg. This didn't happen when I used microbe-clean and salt/vinegar.

#7 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
I just did my first wash load using 1/4 c of salt and a 1/4 vinegar and my dipes came out clean, no smells AND I didn't need to rinse them 10 million times!!!!

I pre treat w/microbe clean which is like bac-out w/out the essential oils.

Worth a try for anyone battling deterg issues!

Ok, let me get this right. you do a rince to get the bac-out out. Then do a wash with the salt/vinegar. Do you add both at the same time or was with salt and rinse with vinegar?

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#8 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I just do a rinse to get rid of the bac-out and then I mix 1/4c salt w/a 1/4 c vinegar in a glass, add enough hot water to the glass to dissolve the salt and throw the contents of the glass into a hot wash and that's it!

#9 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I just do a rinse to get rid of the bac-out and then I mix 1/4c salt w/a 1/4 c vinegar in a glass, add enough hot water to the glass to dissolve the salt and throw the contents of the glass into a hot wash and that's it!
Awsome! Thanks. I think I'm going to try that. My diapers come out clean, don't stink, but have a strange odor that my preggo nose doesn't like. I hope that maby using no detergent will work.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#10 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Never used salt but I've been using white vinegar in my prewash ever since I started CD'ing two years ago. I've never had a buildup problem, and if a stain is bugging me I'll throw in a sprinkle of borax to get rid of it. I just might try the salt though!
#11 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 AM

Hmmm, I've never heard of using salt before. And since I think I've used every.other.thing in an attempt to get rid of my stink probelm , I'm going to have to give this a try! Thanks for the idea!
#12 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 PM

What kind of salt do you use? Kosher or table?

Have you figured out much it costs per load as opposed to detergent?
#13 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Table salt and no I haven't estimated the cost. I have only one in dipes and she's almost 2.5 so I am doing only 2-3 loads of dipes a week. Cost for me is important but clean dipes and not having to use half a lake to get rid of the deterg every time I use the washing machine is even more critical for me. I hope the salt works for everyone.

#14 of 42 Old 05-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Tried this last night. Still waiting on the pee test though. You know, the test where she pees and if it immediately stinks I say it is a failure, and if it doesn't it is a total (hoping) win.

Normally i do a cold rinse with 1/2 detergent (usually arm and hammer essentials) then a hot wash with Borax, then a cold rinse. This time I did a warm wash with salt/ vinegar, then a hot wash with borax and a cold rinse. If this does work, I am going to try switching it around a little and doing 1/2 the amount of borax in the cold rinse, then the salt/ vinegar in the hot wash.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#15 of 42 Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Keeping my fingers crossed for the pee test ! I just got my first soap nuts and I'm going to use those w/a bac-out rinse before the salt/vinegar wash. It's been over a week w/salt and vinegar and all I can say is the soap rashes and the smell are gone gone gone!!!!

#16 of 42 Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Question: Did it take more than one time to get the smell completely gone? I did this and my diapers still stink, although not as bad. Also, what kind of water do you have?
#17 of 42 Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

You know I think the smell was almost completely gone the first time I tried it and completely gone after second or third washload. I am not sure what my water is. It tends to leave yellowish deposits in the dishwasher, but I don't have trouble rinsing soap off in the shower and my regular clothes wash is rinsed bubble free after a single rinse. Somehow though w/dipes I can't EVER get rid of the bubbles unless I rinse 10 times! The water use was killing me! I was using very very little deterg, too small an amt to get rid of stains or smells but yet still too much bubble-wise. I have tried: Allens, Charlies, Dropps, sensiclean (guessing that these last 3 are all the same deterg), All free and clear, dawn, planet among others.

#18 of 42 Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Thanks! I'm going to try washing them a couple more times in the salt/vinager solution to see how it goes. I hope this works! We are NOT using cloth diapers right now because of stink and the cost of sposies is KILLING US!
#19 of 42 Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 PM

salt is really groovy--it's not an actual cleanser (as I understand it) it actually just gets in and separates the fibers of the fabrics, allowing all the ikkies to get out... even better than chemicals IMO!!

Also, i've heard that borax breaks down PUL, so if you have PUL dipes/covers you don't want to use borax...

I have been recently thinking of washing my dipes in baking soda, salt, and TTO. I actually got on MDC this morning to come here to diapering and ask about it...and here I find this thread! How fabulous! I am SO switching right now!

thanks mamas!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#20 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Glad someone else is as excited about salt as me I know salt isn't a "cleanser" per se....no bubbles, enzymatic action BUT I think it works well on yeast, viruses and bacteria. When my kids get yeast infections I put them in a sea salt bath. Yeast is gone very quickly. When I had dental work done and got canker sores which I believe are viral I did a very PAINFUL rinse at night and the sores disappeared by the end of the next day. So there's got to be something to it!

We can't use tto because my kids get terrible rashes from it and I'm not sure what water hardness we have so I'm a little leery of baking soda...what exactly does baking soda do in the wash? Does it soften the water?

#21 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Hi mamas,
I'm so excited to try this with my next wash.... Question.... I have a mix of everything (FB, BG, ME, Bummis, etc.)- is this safe for all of them? I'm also assuming you are using plain white cheap vinegar....
Can't wait to try this....
~maddymama
#22 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 PM

there's a great article on diaper pin about the difference between washign soda and baking soda....but the short version is that urine (and fecal matter) is acidic, and baking soda is basic (just enough to neutralize the urine/etc). Washing soda is VERY basic, so much so that it's actually caustic (oneshould wear gloves to handle it). Anyway, baking soda should neutralize odors, as well as the actual acids...I guess it helps prevent breakdown of the actual diapers (by neutralizing the acids).
I'm told that baking soda is an 'enhancer' so it will 'boost' detergent performance, but that it's not a 'cleanser' of its own accord. Like you were saying about the salt though, I'm not entirely conviced that a soap-type product is necessary here!

I HAVE heard that if your'e useing both baking soda and vinegar, you need to use them separately (remember those elementary school volcanos?!) The most common thing I've heard is to do baking soda/salt in the wash, and then pour vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser, so it will get in on the rinse cycle.
Actually, come to think of it....the bubbling of the reaction might do a marvelous job of actually cleaning the diapers, so maybe I should try them together! What do yhou think?!

#23 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

maddymama: Hi! I am washing mostly fitteds, hemp, cotton and fleece. I think your dipes should be ok. The deterg I used to use, planet, had salt listed as an ingredient and I used to wash motherease bedwetters(PUL AIO's) w/this, adding vinegar to the rinse. I actually started off using apple cider because I didn't have distilled white but I'm using white now...seems like either works.

brightonwoman: Well, actually the salt and the vinegar together cause a little bubbling action...now I'm curious....off to create a volcano...at the very least my kids will be entertained !!

#24 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm having a major problem with STINK. I just tried the vingear and salt with handwash. I'll see how it turns out, DH has asked why don't I switch back to disposables

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#25 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
I'm having a major problem with STINK. I just tried the vingear and salt with handwash. I'll see how it turns out, DH has asked why don't I switch back to disposables
I'm so sorry! I hope the salt and vinegar works for you....baking soda sounds like a good option also provided you're not using detergent. My DH is like that too but after cd'ing 3 kids I think he sees the benefits over disposies at least where $$ is concerned!

#26 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 PM

So 2 things.
1) No I didn't realize borax was bad for PUL diapers. I thought it was fine since many people raved about how it helped with hard water. Not that we have hard water, but I figured it couldn't hurt, KWIM?
2) The salt and vinegar did not work for us. Our fitteds stink. They didn't smell before.

I am liking the washer= volcano idea though. Could be fun and it would probably work really well.

Now more of a theory question. Clothing detergent is used to get rid of dirt and smells in regular laundry, correct? Diapers do not get "dirty" they just have pee and/ or a little poop on them. So in theory they do not need a detergent to get them clean, just something to remove or neutralize the pee and minimal poop. Am I following things right here? So baking soda (basic= neutralize acidic pee) and salt (to "seperate fibers and get ickies out") and vinegar (to kill yeasties and make "volcanic" reaction bubbles) should cover all our bases, right?

Oh, this sounds more complex than it is I am sure. I really want to get away from having to fill hte washer more than 2x for a load. It seems wasteful to rinse an extra time to get rid of bubbles.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#27 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM

I did a baking soda/salt/TTO load last week. They came out cleaner than they've smelled in months! (In spite of repeated strippings etc). Woohoo!
Today I tried the vinegar/salt blend, plus put in a little baking soda (bubblebubblebubble!) and put that in. We'll see how they go--they're still rinsing right now.

MrsBoyko, I tihnk you're right that neutralizing the acids and killing yeasties should be all that diapers need. Unless your kiddo is draggin dipes in the mud! I think the baking soda/vinegar should be sufficient, with salt as an enhancer it should be GREAT. I like the idea of thowing in a little lavendar or tea tree oil for that anti-microbial boost, but I don't think that even needs to be in every load...just once every 4-5 loads or something.

I am getting one of those 20lb bags of salt and a couple gallons of vinegar on my next costco trip!

#28 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Glad someone else is as excited about salt as me I know salt isn't a "cleanser" per se....no bubbles, enzymatic action BUT I think it works well on yeast, viruses and bacteria. When my kids get yeast infections I put them in a sea salt bath. Yeast is gone very quickly. When I had dental work done and got canker sores which I believe are viral I did a very PAINFUL rinse at night and the sores disappeared by the end of the next day. So there's got to be something to it!

We can't use tto because my kids get terrible rashes from it and I'm not sure what water hardness we have so I'm a little leery of baking soda...what exactly does baking soda do in the wash? Does it soften the water?
Sodium chloride, or salt, is a natural antiseptic.
#29 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
How did you dry them? Everything will smell like vinegar when fresh out of the wash but drying in the drier it looses the smell. Not sure about hang drying.
#30 of 42 Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 AM

this is great. i've been having all the same issues and am now on day two of sposies while we figure out the detergent situation. :-( so...i have several questions.
what is bac-out? where do you get it and how do you use it? if it is an enzymatic thing, how is it different than the enzymes in detergents that we're suppossed to avoid?
where did you get the soap nuggets?

happily married mama to our only...for now

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page