Thinking of switching to CDing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking of switching my 4 mo old DS from sposies to cloth. The thing is, he's in daycare during the days, so he would be in CDs only in the evenings/nights and on weekends. So my priorities are the diapers have to do well for night time. I can't do laundry every day. Three days would be ideal, but I could do two days. I don't want to spend a fortune, though I don't have to go dirt cheap either. Also, we spend a weekend at a friends' place or camping fairly frequently, so they have to "travel well".

While the pocket diapers look really awesome, I don't know that I can justify spending $17/diaper when he's only going to be in them part of the day. Though I guess I could get fewer of them.

It seems like the better solution would be to pick up a dozen prefolds and two or three covers. One question I have is how do the prefolds do with keeping wetness away from his skin over night? Or do you use a liner of some kind? Should I also pick up some fitted diapers? If so, what kind?

Last, but not least, he's just about 4 months so probably not quite to 15 lbs yet. He hasn't been weighed in a couple of months on an accurate scale, so I don't know for sure what his weight is, but I would guess around 14 lbs. From looking around that seems like the top end of the small size range and too small for mediums. I really, really don't want to spend a bunch on small diapers and then have to buy new ones in a month or two.

One more question I have is whether the spray nozzle you attach to the toilet is just a nice to have or more along the lines of invaluable? He's exclusively breastmilk fed right now, but will be starting on solids in a couple of months, so there's that to think of too.

Anyhow, I'm just looking for general advice to figure out what to do. Thanks!

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#2 of 4 Old 05-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Hi, and welcome to the world of cloth! I am a big fan of prefolds, especially if you're going to be using cloth at night. Personally I recommend Green Mountain Diapers. They have their prefolds made wider as opposed to longer, which means they fit a lot better with less bulk. Try the unbleached....they're SOFT! The following page gives a lot of info on sizing:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm

For nighttimes, I add the Night Stay Dry doubler, listed about halfway down on this page:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/doublers.htm

It is really absorbent, and the fleece top stays super dry all night long. I often add in a regular hemp doubler as well for extra protection.

I am also a fan of flats, as they wash up really well (no stains so far) and dry very fast (great for travel). GMD makes great flats too. There's a bit of a learning curve with them but you can get a really good fit and they are one size (and cheap!). There's a thread from earlier today on flats and prefolds where there are links for folding info (you can search my posts too to find it).

I have found the diaper sprayer to be the best thing EVER. BF poop isn't so bad and is manageable without one, but solid poop can be really gross. Sometimes it's solid, sometimes it's really messy paste. The sprayer blasts it off. I bought this one:

http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php...category%3D497

It's reasonably priced and the shipping is really cheap too.

I think in general just do as much research as you can, but expect that you might find that some things don't work as well as you liked, and other things work better than you anticipated. I initially started off with Bum Genius O/S pockets and thought they were the bees knees, then ditched them for fitteds, then returned those for prefolds and flats.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 AM

If I was going to just be CDing part of the time with your situation I would buy either infant prefolds or size medium fitteds (or some fitteds that fit 9lbs to 30lbs or whatever, I think they call them one-size, I have about 25 one size ones, you fold them down or up depending on the size of the baby). And I would buy or sew wool shorties. And I would get a snappi or 2 (no pins to poke the baby).

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/

If you even sew a little, they are very easy. Wool doesn't need to be washed every time, in fact most people don't wash them very often at all (they don't get to smelling like polyester does). Prowraps covers are cheap and effective, but in my experience need to washed after every use so you need maybe 8 to 10 of them, whereas with the wool just a couple would be sufficient.

Hope that helps!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM

I found proraps covers don't need to be washed every use, just every couple of days, and they dry fast, but they were completely useless on my DD once she got into size Medium at about 5 months old. The velcro didn't stay fastened because she started squirming more, and it scratched her (which for some reason was never a problem with the small size).

If you buy a stack of flats (I second the GMD recommendation above) you can use them to stuff the pocket diapers with. I'm not super familiar with the big pocket diaper brands, but a size medium (about 15-25 lbs) should last nearly a year if your baby follows an average growth curve, so it might be worth buying a few, and you don't have to go for the pricier "one-size" pockets with their 1001 snaps.

Personally, I don't bother with a stay-dry liner or inner, and will change diapers in the middle of the night sometimes, but if I were working a regular job I'd probably feel differently about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page