i think i ruined my fuzzy bunz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they were stinky. i tried washing them in dawn and then rinsing them until all of the bubbles were gone. i tried individually scrubbing the fleece with a brush and dawn. they still stunk. so, i read somewhere that you can boil them. i boiled them and now they don't work at all. ds pees right through them. he's 2 1/2 now so i don't want to invest in all new dipes and i really don't want to do sposies. can they be fixed???? help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 AM

sorry mama. From all I've heard, you can't boil polyester, such as in the lining of Fuzzi Bunz. Also, the outter fabric is lined with a plasticky material. When you boil it you melt both of those layers. I really think they're ruined.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 AM

you can *try* to re-waterproof the outside layer with a waterproofing spray you get at the store. (like what you would spray on a tent to make it waterproof, etc) but if that doesn't work...they're probably history. what you can do however, is try and make the best of it..for example, you can invest in just a couple of covers, and put covers over the FB's. Fleece or wool shorts would be ideal, or even jnust the really cheap gerber plastic pants you can get at walmart for like $3. Basically, you owuldbe using the FB like a non-waterproof pocket, and putting a cover over it. So, you can save your dipes by investing $5-20 or so in covers.

CPST
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
you can *try* to re-waterproof the outside layer with a waterproofing spray you get at the store. (like what you would spray on a tent to make it waterproof, etc) but if that doesn't work...they're probably history. what you can do however, is try and make the best of it..for example, you can invest in just a couple of covers, and put covers over the FB's. Fleece or wool shorts would be ideal, or even jnust the really cheap gerber plastic pants you can get at walmart for like $3. Basically, you owuldbe using the FB like a non-waterproof pocket, and putting a cover over it. So, you can save your dipes by investing $5-20 or so in covers.
that's a great idea. i have some covers that i've been using. i didn't realize that you can find them so cheaply. i wonder if i can find some online...???
Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

i found some patterns for knit soakers that i'm going to start knitting today. i've been wanting to do this anyway. i'm gonna be busy.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 PM

I ruined my FBs too . . . we share a washing machine with another family and I forgot a wet load in the machine. They were dried in the dryer. On high. For 90 mins. Then I forgot a second time. Same story . . . so . . .

I just use a wool cover over the FBs.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 PM

I sold off all my Fbs- the "Stink Factor... : (
Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
I ruined my FBs too . . . we share a washing machine with another family and I forgot a wet load in the machine. They were dried in the dryer. On high. For 90 mins. Then I forgot a second time. Same story . . . so . . .

I just use a wool cover over the FBs.
I've been putting mine in the dryer for months and they're fine. Should I not be doing that?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisent View Post
I've been putting mine in the dryer for months and they're fine. Should I not be doing that?
me too, i always dry mine.....
Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM

ya we have been drying our fb on high in the drier forever and they are fine....we have 2 used ones and 3 that we bought new....been doing it for atleast 6 mos. dd is about grown out of them and they still have plenty of life.

i wish i could knit...

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 05-26-2008, 04:39 PM

You can put pul in the dryer. It's actually recommended to put them in the dryer on high every once in a while as it reseals the pul. I usually line or dry on low heat but every month or more I dry on high. They still work great.

http://diaperfab.wallypop.net/fabpul.html
"PUL fabrics are 100% waterproof and able to withstand washing in hot water and heat drying over the life of your diapers. (PUL was originally developed to be used in hospitals as a waterproof barrier and to be cleaned in an autoclave, which uses very high heat to sterilize. Please do not believe the claims that PUL will "wear out" after a certain number of washings or that it cannot be dried.)"

http://diapersewing.blogspot.com/
"You can machine wash on any temperature and dry on any temperature. Many people believe the PUL to last longer dried on medium heat, but fabric manufacturers say the fabric should withstand high heats. I have found both opinions to be held by diaper manufacturers and users."

I don't know about boiling but I have washed PUL with pots of boiling water poured into the washer.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Hmmm . . . drying on high heat *definitely* ruined my FuzziBunz. My PUL wraps, though, have suffered no adverse consequences when tossed in the dryer on high.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 PM

I've always dried my FB's on high heat. I bought most of them used about 3 years ago and just stopped using them about 4-5 months ago because dd1 finally outgrew them.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Hmmm . . . drying on high heat *definitely* ruined my FuzziBunz. My PUL wraps, though, have suffered no adverse consequences when tossed in the dryer on high.
my thought with the fb is that the elastic would suffer more on the high heat than the pul.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

maybe they're just not making them as well. i think i heard (and this is just a rumor so please correct me if i'm wrong) that they were being made in mexico now. ???? anywho.. i'm halfway done with my first soaker. hope it fits.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Did they maybe put dryer sheets in with them? That could make them repel moisture.

User Tag List