Nature babycare disposables - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use them and like them? I usually get 7th Generation but the website I get them from started selling these, and they are compostable! So far they seem to work just as well as any other diaper, and I love the fact that I am not contributing to landfills.

We tried cloth (many different types, many times, lots of money later) so please no advice regarding cloth

Thanks!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Are you actually composting them at home? From their website it looked like they were only 60% compostable content. I'd link, but the website seems to be down right now.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 PM

I have done a lot of research on disposables lately. Nature babycare is only 60% biodegradeable, I think its becuse it contains gel that doesn't biodegrade. The only disposable diaper that does not contain gel (Super Absorbent Sodium Polyacrylate aka SAP) is Tushies disposable diapers. SAP is even in the G-diaper inserts. It has been linked to toxic shock syndrome and was voluntarily removed from tampons by the feminine hygeine companies. It has also been linked to respiartory problems, nausea and vomitting. If you compost something with SAP it goes into the water/food supply.
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper...ne3_health.htm
A lot of diaper companies are claiming SAP is not harmful, but it is a chemical and it really doesn't belong near any baby's bum! Try Tushies if you want disposable.
http://www.tushies.com/
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Uh oh- I have been throwing them in my compost bin...it says they are 100% compostable?

So between 7th Gen and Nature Babycare, which ones are better for baby, and better for the environment???

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM

I would strongly advise using a diaper with out with gel!! but nature babycare is better than seventh generation.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use these, and I had no idea that they have a toxic gel or aren't 100% biodegradable. Great! And I though I was doing good for the environment. Can tushies really be better if they landfill 100%? Good thing I use cloth most of the time and disposables at night. Will there ever be a disposable diaper that is 100% good?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

I called Tushies and asked them if their diapers were biodegradable and they said everything on their diaper is biodegradable except for the plastic tab across the front. Of course there are no eco-friendly disposables, so I guess you just have to consider all of the different variables and go with what works the best for you. But as far as composting goes, I wouldn't compost nature babycare because of the Sodium Polyacrylate.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Cloth Diapers are better for your baby!

Your child will spend the first 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years of his or her life in diapers. Disposable diapers are an easy way of diapering, but are the possible health hazards these diapers pose worth the simplicity? Look below at some studies that have been conducted and their scary results.

MALE INFERTILITY Disposable diapers could be the cause of the sharp rise in male infertility over the past 25 years. It is thought that disposable diapers heat up boys testicles to such a degree that it stop them from developing normal.

SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, which is linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome and can therefore no longer be used in tampons, is the super absorbent gel in disposable diapers. You can find the little "gel balls" on the skin of your baby's bottom. It is interesting to note that employees in factories manufacturing sodium polyacrylate suffer from female organ problems, slow healing wounds, fatigue and weight loss.

TBT (TRIBULYTIN) In May 2000 Greenpeace found TBT in Pampers® Baby Dry in Germany. TBT is one of the most toxic substances ever made. It harms the immune system and impairs the hormonal system. There is speculation that it could cause boys to become sterile.

DIOXIN Traces of the carcinogen Dioxin have been found in disposable diapers. Dioxin causes liver disease, immune system suppression and genetic damage. It is a byproduct of bleaching with chlorine gas and is banned in most countries. Unfortunately, the USA still allows it.

ASTHMA In 1998 a study showed that childhood respiratory problems, including asthma, might be linked to inhaling the mixture of chemicals emitted from disposable diapers.

UTI INFECTIONS IN BABY GIRLS also seem on the rise with an increased use of disposable diapers.

BABIES POORLY DEVELOPED OUTER SKIN LAYER ABSORBS ABOUT 48 CHEMICALS if you use disposable diapers & wipes and standard baby products. This can be greatly reduced by using cloth diapers and natural baby products.

You can find out more about the above topics on our cloth diaper articles page or at www.borntolove.com and www.mothering.com.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailotus View Post
I called Tushies and asked them if their diapers were biodegradable and they said everything on their diaper is biodegradable except for the plastic tab across the front. Of course there are no eco-friendly disposables, so I guess you just have to consider all of the different variables and go with what works the best for you. But as far as composting goes, I wouldn't compost nature babycare because of the Sodium Polyacrylate.
How is there no eco friendly diaper if tushies is biodegareble? Oh now which should I use. nature baby care or tushies?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:44 PM

Tushies mamas- how absorbent are they? The only reason we have to use disposables is because DS is a super duper soaker these days and it's the only way he gets through the night without waking up in a puddle. We've been using 7th gen at night. I've considered tushes but I really need a diaper that will not leak at night (esp. since DS sleeps cuddled next to me... and I'm not so much into waking up in a puddle!).
Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I did try Tushies...mind as well tape a paper towel to your baby's bum...

I called diapers.com to ask about the compostability, and they said you can 100% compost the pee dipes.

I understand the benefits of cloth...but it just did not work for us. I tried at least 6 different types, spent over $600- they all leaked, or were not absorbant at all. Plus our washer and dryer are terrible, and we can't get a hot water connection to them.

So cloth is OUT.

I guess for now we will stick with Nature babycare- it seems to be the next best thing to cloth. I try my very hardest to reduce my children's exposure to chemicals of every kind in every product we use- if Nature Babycare has the gel, well I suppose that is ONE chemical I can't avoid...but at least they don't have all the other nasties in them, so I am OK with that.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM

60% of the content is biodegradable and of biological origin compared to about leading brands who content 80% for oil based. The back sheet of the Nature diaper is a lamination of renewable/biodegradable corn Bio film and of natural tree-pulp TCF-pulp (totally chlorine free) tissue. The tissue in the lamination is made of natural tree-pulp TCF-pulp (totally chlorine free) with FSC certification. The printing colour on the diapers is, certified by OK Compost. Certificate attesting to the fact that the printing ink is free of heavy metals injurious to health. As a distribution lawyer Nature use a material based on 100 % renewable /compost able material. Naty AB has developed the compost able /biodegradable corn Bio film, which is used in the lamination. The film is based on cornstarch and biodegradable polyester. The compost ability of this product is certified by the ”Ok Compost”. The compost able /biodegradable corn film is 100 % GM free. The compost able/biodegradable corn film is not only watertight but also “breathes” resulting in an airier, drier and more comfortable diaper. The consumer packaging is made in 100 % GM free compost able material, certified by OK compost. The pulp is totally chlorine free and certified by the Swedish Society for Nature conservation.

that is from their website
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM

I just got some natre babycare diapers, because we use sposies at night and on car trips. We were using 7th generation (easily available to us) I bought a package of nature care and tushies, haven't tried the tushies yet. the nature care work just as well as the 7th generation. the tushies seem....not as nice.... the "tabs" are like pieces of scotch tape and not "velcro-y" I dunnot I'm not excited about them
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
How is there no eco friendly diaper if tushies is biodegareble? Oh now which should I use. nature baby care or tushies?
There are no eco-friendly disposables because any diaper full of human waste does not belong in a land fill.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

So can I compost the pee-only Nature Babycare dipes or not? i am so confused.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 AM

I'm confused too. Someone says that the pulp of nature baby care is toxic, and someone else says they are tree pulp. Which is right?

User Tag List