How to know whether it needs inserts, covers, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so new to this, and I've read the tutorials and lots of threads here, but I'm still clueless about so many things!

One of the things I'm having the hardest time understanding is what each diaper actually *is*. Like, if I buy it, will I also need to buy an insert, a diaper cover, etc.

The Thirsties Fab Fitted Diaper, for example. Is it a diaper that needs nothing else? I can't tell from the description.

If I understand right, prefolds and flats would require a diaper cover. They can also be used as an extra insert for diapers.

Pocket diapers require an insert. But do they also need a cover?

The AIO diapers are everything you need all in one.

But a lot of the brands don't come out and say, "this diaper requires an insert or a cover." Or sometimes I'm looking at a diaper cover and I think it's a diaper, not a cover. So I feel fairly lost...

But I really want to get the hang of this and use CD for my first baby! Anyone who can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 AM

It really should be spelled out, shouldn't it? I found that frustrating.

Needs a cover:
prefold
flat
fitted

Pocket: needs an insert (check to make sure it comes with one), doesn't need a cover

All in one: open up and put on baby.

diaperjungle is a good source of information (if you need more information--maybe you're overloaded).

What helped me is to find a retail store with a good selection. They're hard to find. Go to BumGenius, FuzziBunz or other brand names and look for brick and mortar in your area (if you live in/near an urban area). The lady there showed me what they had and I could touch them. Made sense after that.
#3 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 AM

You can also find an online retailer and find their contact info. KatiesKisses.com is super helpful...she'll answer all kinds of questions.
#4 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

The Thirsties description says they're too cute to cover (hehe), but to go leak-proof, use a cover. We use Fab Fitteds with the Thirsties covers. I've gone cover-free with fitteds for a bit, but I don't recommend it. Some sites like cottonbabies.com either have a little "no cover needed" graphic or a line in their description. Most of the time, if the diaper is soft and fluffy, you'll want to put a cover over it. If it feels, well ... plastic-y on the outside then it will hold water (there are some fancy ones that are soft on the outside but laminated on the inside to keep wetness in, though!) I didn't have any physical stores near me that carried cloth dipes when we were starting out, but I'm sure that would help you get the [literal] feel for things!! Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, all! That gives me a little better handle on which diapers need what. I'm definitely going to search my area to see if anywhere local sells cloth diapers. It would help a lot to actually see and feel the diapers before buying!

Thanks again for helping out a newbie. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page