I would LOVE to go back to cloth, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done cloth, stopped for several months, then started up again?

I started out all excited to CD. Bought a big stash of fitteds, prefolds, a variety of covers in both PUL and wool. I did OK while on maternity leave, but often felt that totally overwhelmed first-time mom thing, so occassionally used sposies. When I returned to work, however, I just couldn't do cloth anymore, I felt so overwhelmed, didn't want to deal w/daycare issues with the cloth dipes, etc. BUT I don't care for sposies for many reasons.

I like cloth because...no leaks/blowouts;have had countless of them with sposies, never with cloth. Better for DS's skin. Better for the environment. Much cheaper. More fun to buy than sposies.

Things I didn't like... clothing fit issues, changing every 15 minutes (that may have changed now that he's older), some of the logistics with daycare/out and about.

So, should I start up again? What system? I only want to do it if I can commit to it. I would probably do cloth at home, but if DS is at daycare he could be in sposies there, since they provide them and it is included in the fee.

I guess I just need some encouragement. Any advice is welcome!

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 AM

I started out with cloth when DS was about two weeks old and I stopped when he was six months because my washer couldn't keep up with the solids mess anymore. Now I have a new washer and ever since he got a bad rash from abx for a ear infection I decided to start with cloth again (he was then just a little over one year old). I LOVE it. I actually bought some new covers, started sewing my own covers and I got away from pins and bought some snappis which make it a lot easier to keep that diaper up.

I'm a total fan of prefolds with covers (and snappis) but that is your decision to make. I don't have ANY experience with AIOs, pockets etc. so I don't think I'm a big help there.

joy.gif
Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 AM

I think it's hard to work outside the home and do CD. I'm a WAHM for the most part and it's the only way I could keep up with it, I think. I keep the laundry going during the day and it takes me a whole day to get one load of CD done because of my roving attention span.

I may WOHM in the fall, so when I imagine how it'll work, I think that I'll need 12-18 pockets (my daycare will do CD). I'll have to figure out how to keep up with the washing and drying. I'll have to accept that my DD may wear more sposies that I'd like because REAL LIFE happens.

If you only CD a few times a week, you're still saving a lot.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 AM

I quit for several months and thought I would never go back. I got overwhelmed by the laundry, DS got some irritation from the suedecloth in BGs, I was just overwhelmed by being a mom, and I'm a SAHM. But when it started to feel like it was getting easier, I ventured back into it again. I bought myself more pocket diapers, so I have those to fall back on when I don't feel like folding. I bought a few more covers, so that I would have plenty of extras. I've started shopping fitteds and wool, because I really prefer the natural fiber. And now it's become kind of a hobby and I like it. There are a lot of options out there. The other thing I have been doing that helps is not using sposies AT ALL. I used to use them when we went out, but now I always use pockets and bring extra pockets with me. I still stick emergency sposies in my diaper bag because they take up less space, but I don't use them.

Sorry for writing a novel, I should really go to bed. Hope you are able to enjoy cloth again.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM

I work FT and as a result cd my DS parttime. During the day when my parents and in laws watch him he is in sposies. They refused cloth. They purchase the sposies. In the evenings and on the weekends he is in cloth. At night he is in sposies because I cannot stand how horrible I feel thinking about him exposed to wetness and waking up wet.

We too hit a period when I stopped for a few months. I just got pregnant, it was the holidays, and I was exhausted. As soon as I got it all together we started back up again. I stuck with prefolds because it was cheapest for parttime and easiest to wash.

Don't worry, give it time, you can definitely resume when you are ready.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Im kinda pondering the same thing if to go back. Like you I was all pumped up to do cloth. I live in a tiny apartment and dont have a washer/ dryer so after trying a few times when my DS was just born I decided to call it quits. I had a hard enough time finding time to wash all his clothes by hand.

Now that he is almost 8 months old I would like to try again. Im figuring that now that he dont need as many changes etc plus since its summer I can hang clothes outside. Just trying to figure out how to get started.

User Tag List