Prefold seconds - useable? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just received my order of infant and premium prefolds from www.clothdiaper.com - all seconds 'cause they were a great deal. However, I'm a little concerned about them the more I inspect them. I may not explain this well, so bear with me - the layers are supposed to be 4x8x4, right? With the stitching down the length of the diaper being inbetween the different thicknesses, correct? On all the diapers I have, the stitching appears to be in the correct place, but the layers do not. There's the first section of 4 layers, then stitching, then the section of 8 layers... and it extends past the second vertical stitching into what's supposed to be the second section of 4 layers by about an inch. Now, since they're brand new and unfluffed, I can still trifold it and what-have-you and it seems fine. I'm concerned that it's going to be too thick to fold properly or be comfortable when washed though. Basically, the stitching is even, the folding is not. Has anyone had this or a similar problem? I can return the diapers, but I'd be out shipping both ways and honestly I don't really care what they look like, I just want them to catch poop.
#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM

hmm...they sound like they would work. They might not work great for a trifold that you would just lay in a cover, because the thick part might be a bit too wide...then again, they might work just fine, depending on the shape of your baby and the type of cover. But they sound like they would be fine for an angel wings fold that you would pin/snappi (this method works much better at catching poop then a trifolded dipe anyway). If it turns out that you wash them and then don't like them you could use them for burp clothes, changing pads, or cleaning rags, or they could be your back-up diaper to use in a pinch if need be. (its nice to have back-ups for unexpected events, like if you lose power and can't do laundry). HTH!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#3 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM

that doesn't sound odd to me at all. once you wash, that 1 inch will shrink up. mine are that way and they aren't seconds. so you should be just fine!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#4 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM

thats how mine where and they are not seconds. they work just fine

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 PM

About half of my pfs are seconds from clothdiaper.com, and they work just fine. I think it's normal for the layers to extend past the stiching a little bit. But I never trifold in a cover, I always snappi.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#6 of 7 Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, thanks so much ladies! I didn't realize that's how they typically came. Helps explain why every last one of them is that way, huh. (Can you tell this is my first? ) I am planning on pinning or snappi-ing, especially at first, so it's good to know that that should help even if they're a little off. Now to just figure out what covers I want!
#7 of 7 Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 AM

My premium Indian prefolds were like that too, and they weren't seconds. But my infant Chinese prefolds weren't. They'll probably work fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page