Mothering Forum banner

ALL cotton/bamboo cover? Such a thing?

599 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Mrsboyko 
#1 ·
I looked at the Nikkys and Nijis, but they're waterproofed with a patented process that won't be disclosed - but the Elan covers are coated with Teflon, so I'm guessing it's something equally undesirable.

We're allergic to wool/lanolin and polyester. So that knocks out the majority of covers.

I find hemp to be a smelly fabric as it is, and have seen that used in diapers it tends to hold in odors, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm so so excited to be moving into a place with our own washer and dryer and a big yard to string a clothes-line in so I can put the new baby and DS both into cloth, but the lack of options for our particular allergies is really depressing.

And I sew worse than I sing, which isn't very pretty at all. So that option is out.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
I am aware they won't be waterproof, and that's fine. I want something to go over a pre-fold so I have a chance to get to the poop before it goes everywhere, since fitteds are out of our budget to do all the time.

I considered an underpant type thing, but see the pull-up/down nature on a newborn being potentially extremely messy, and therefore pointless.

DS is already partially EC'd because of super sensitive skin. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and go all the way for both.

#6 ·
Alegna - thanks, I'll start pinging; supporting WAHMs would be my first choice as it is - I spent a while on hyenacart and etsy last night looking around (ohmgah. CUTE), but figured a mass viewing here would be slightly less obnoxious than emailing every single mama with sewing ability I could find.

CallMeMommy - thanks for looking! I looked at those earlier, but assumed they'd have poly internal/inners. Dare I hope?

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Are you allergic to acrylic, nylon, or vinyl? All 3 of those materials can be used in waterproof diaper covers (acrylic in the form of fleece or crocheted/knitted into soakers, nylon or vinyl as thin covers.)
Acrylic I'm not sure of - grams used to make me sweaters that would itch and itch and itch, but whether that was the material or her lack of... finesse... for crafting, I don't know. One way to find out!

I'm not sure why I didn't even think of nylon or vinyl. Are these the same today as the plastic pants I was diapered with? I worry about breathability, but maybe if I rotate between prefolds w/ nylon covers, fitteds, and part-time ECing, it won't be such a big deal. Hmmm.

I know I'm a totally picky PITA! Thank you mamas for the ideas so far!

#9 ·
nylon breathes.. vinyl doesn't. but nylon will probably wick after a while wet if you let it, anf vinyl will break down quickly. what about a PUL cover with a cotton fabric instead of the poly? pretty much all PUL prints are actually laminated cotton. and a good WAHM can also add a layer of cotton fabric over regular pul for a cover. if you are more worried about inside the diaper, covering the laminate, it can also be done thast way... sandwiching the laminate. just know that the cotton will mean you'll have to was sooner.

PUL laminate is the waterproof part, not the polyester. oh, and fleece is poly, not acrylic, fyi.

#10 ·
Nylon is nice for covers. Bummis makes one a that is a pull-on style. It is very breathable and thin. It can be a little messy with poop when you open the diaper, but after a few poopy changes you learn to do it carefully and neatly. they look like the old fashioned kind you probably wore. My mom says they look like mine when I was a baby but she said mine must have been vinyl back then because they were thicker and had that plasticy smell. The Bummis are nice and soft and squish down to be really trim under clothing. They are called Bummis Whisper Pants, if you are interested. They go for about $6 a pair. Dappi also makes a nylon pant that costs $5 for 2 pairs. I wouldn't recommend vinyl because it doesn't breathe and it's stiff and stinky.

#13 ·
Another thought....my kids are terribly rashy when it comes to fleece (polyester) in a diaper. However, I use fleece covers on them w/no problem! Maybe because the cover doesn't get wet nor does it touch their skin. So if you want to give it a shot, wool or fleece covers might be ok even if your kids can't tolerate either in a diaper.

#15 ·
Obviously you understand the scope of your family's allergies better than I- but I've found organic wool to be much much less allergy causing than regular wool. Dasana makes very nice wool soakers (sold at GMD). You can lanolize your wool covers with lansinoh (which likes to brag about how it's safe for everyone to use). I've also purchased nylon pull on pants at GMD and they're just fine. No plasticy smell, though the leg openings are rather large.

#16 ·
Thanks, mamas!

As for the wool/lanolin/polyester thing - DH is the one with the polyester allergy, but he *thinks* he'd be OK with an internal lining; he works a lot anyway and would really only be diapering during weekends/mornings, so we can play it by ear. We're going to pick up a few of the Cot'n Wraps and see.
DS had huge gigantic full body hives after I used lansinoh early on in nursing, that we later tested on his leg with the same reaction, so even if I was willing to deal with the wool (guess who that allergy belongs to?
), I'm not willing to put him and potentially Newbie through that again.

So.

The plan is a few poly-on-the-inside types, with nylon for DH, and putting off a few larger house purchases that aren't needed immediately to have a budget to build a bigger stash of fitteds for cover-free time.

Thanks for pointing me places and letting me think/whine out-loud!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.