best way to wash cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
ekh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I've been using a diaper service since my daughter was born (3 months ago) and now am going to buy my own diapers and wash them at home. So, what is the best way to wash the diapers to get the stains out? I've read about an extra rinse cycle and that you don't necessarily need to pre-soak the diapers (baby is on breast milk only). Is that true? Do I need to use a detergent? I can't really sun dry the diapers because we are pretty much completely shaded here...

Mama to H (3/18/08)blahblah.gif and A (8/25/09)energy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM

We do a cold rinse, Hot wash, cold rinse with a tiny bit of Charlies, then a hot wash, cold rinse with nothing.

But what works for one, may not work for you. There are as many "best" wash routines as there are people that CD. You just have to play around with it, till you find what will work best for you, your water, and your dipes.

senior majikfaerie cult member
Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM

I just do a hot wash, then a cold rinse. They are clean. Use an all purpose detergent that doesn't have any additives. Also don't use fabric softener or bleach. A little bit of vinegar in the rinse softens them up. So does dryer balls for the dryer. If baby is bf only then I would think you only need to do a hot wash then an extra rinse to get out any leftover detergent residue. Good luck!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM

I'm new to this forum and am still figuring out how to use it, so I'm just going to jump in here rather than figuring out how to start a new thread. Sorry in advance if this isn't normal...

I have fuzzi bunz diapers and an HE washer. The two combined seem to be causing problems. I've had lots of repelling issues, due to (I assume) soap build up/residue in the diapers. When I do the "nasal aspirator" test, the water I squirt on the clean diapers just SITS. It doesn't absorb well AT ALL. I'm really at a loss.

I have "stripped" the diapers according to the fuzzi bunz website directions. I have purchased oxiclean versatile powder (per a diaper co recommendation) and washed the diapers in that. When I launder them, I do a cold rinse, hot wash w/ TEENY bit of Charlie's Soap (so little, sometimes they smell like sewage still), 2 cold rinses. Lately, I've also started doing a plain hot wash and cold rinse after that in an attempt to really rinse them.

Any recommendations? Am I fighting a losing battle? Do fuzzi bunz and HE washers just not work together?

Help!

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )
Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM

I use prefolds,
a cold prewash, I have to do this manualy in the washer because of having a digital machine.
Then a hot/cold wash/rince with Purex free and clear
and an extra cold rince.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 AM

I wash everything (prefolds, doublers, dipe covers, AIO's, wipes, and wet bags) in a cold wash, hot wash with smidge of Allen's, and two cold rinses. The dipes are periodically sprinkled with baking soda while in the pail and the dirties are spritzed with Bac-Out (12 month old on solids).

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM

We wash ours using a cold pre-rinse, and then a cold wash with eco-friendly soap. I sometimes spray them off ahead of time, but I am getting pretty lazy. So...they just hang out in the wet bag for a day or two, and I haven't had any problems with stinkiness. I get very few stains and if I do, they eventually come out.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brietta View Post
I'm new to this forum and am still figuring out how to use it, so I'm just going to jump in here rather than figuring out how to start a new thread. Sorry in advance if this isn't normal...

I have fuzzi bunz diapers and an HE washer. The two combined seem to be causing problems. I've had lots of repelling issues, due to (I assume) soap build up/residue in the diapers. When I do the "nasal aspirator" test, the water I squirt on the clean diapers just SITS. It doesn't absorb well AT ALL. I'm really at a loss.

I have "stripped" the diapers according to the fuzzi bunz website directions. I have purchased oxiclean versatile powder (per a diaper co recommendation) and washed the diapers in that. When I launder them, I do a cold rinse, hot wash w/ TEENY bit of Charlie's Soap (so little, sometimes they smell like sewage still), 2 cold rinses. Lately, I've also started doing a plain hot wash and cold rinse after that in an attempt to really rinse them.

Any recommendations? Am I fighting a losing battle? Do fuzzi bunz and HE washers just not work together?

Help!
Do the dipes leak when your lo is wearing them? That's the true test. I actually started a thread on here asking other mamas to pour water on their dipes and tell me what it looks like. You know what everybody said the same thing, the water just sat on top of the dipe. It's whether or not they leak when baby is wearing them that is the true indicator.

As for stripping, I've tried all the methods and what works best for me is to fill a big pot with water and boil 1 dipe at a time till half the water is gone. I wash the pot out between dipes so I don't boil into the next what I just boiled out of the last. Then when I've stripped all the dipes I need to strip I wash them all on hot with NO soap.

Once I did that with my new wash routine (see post 2) I have not had anymore problems.

Good luck.

senior majikfaerie cult member

User Tag List