Cloth diapers in retail stores? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not even pregnant yet, not even TTC, but I'm already thinking about baby showers for when I'm pregnant. It is customary in my family for everyone to bring a package of diapers or wipes with their baby shower gift. However, I plan to exclusively CD. I know that they sell crappy prefolds at walmart, but are there others available in chain stores that we could recommend to my family members when the time comes?

I also plan to use cloth wipes, but I'll be making those myself (as soon as I get a serger) and making my own liquid for them...I'm allergic to every single brand of disposable wipes I've looked at, so that wouldnt' even be an option.
#2 of 21 Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM

There are very few brick and mortar stores that sell CDs. But, http://nickisdiapers.com/ and possibly some other sites have online registries

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 21 Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM

You can do a google search for a store in your area, but no major stores carry cloth that is worth anything. With my daughter we got a lot of the Gerber prefolds (from Target) but they were not very good.

When I was pregnant with my son I used myregistry.com online. You can add items from any store online to one registry.

I know it can be hard to get family on board with cloth, but you can do it! Maybe you can find nice ways of communicating how important it is to you. I tried to show my family how much money I saved and how easy all the new fancy cloth diapers are to use. Now they're totally on board! If they took all the money they would have spent on those disposables and wipes together you could get a good stash of cloth!
#4 of 21 Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Target is selling Bumkins covers and AIOs on their website now. You can add those to a registry.
#5 of 21 Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
Target is selling Bumkins covers and AIOs on their website now. You can add those to a registry.
Whole Foods sells Bum Genius CD as well!
#6 of 21 Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM

if you sew, why not ask them to bring a yard of a fabric that you can use tomake dipes, or wipes? flannel, fleece, hemp - whatever your local shop carries that you think you might use. that would be better than getting a ton of sposies that you dont want, especially if none of the other suggestions work out in your area!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#7 of 21 Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
Really?! I haven't been there for a while.
#8 of 21 Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM

BumGenius are available in SOME whole foods. They aren't available at all of them yet. Many, if not most, online cd retailers have registries though

HTH,
Sultana

Proud Mama to Kiri (5/5/05) and Mikah (9/12/07). Owner Simple Wonders Diapers - providing personalized service to help you choose the perfect diapering system for your family. Check out our WAHMarket coupon!
#9 of 21 Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM

A lot of small diaper stores like mine not only offer a registry, but we also allow for local pickup. I just had a grandma-to-be call me Friday to get 18 BGOS for her daughter's baby shower and she picked them up an hour later.
#10 of 21 Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM

if your target or whole foods doesn't carry CDs, your best bet is to search for local stores in the area that are specialty type stores for nursing moms and babies. there's a store in my area that is mainly directed towards nursing and breastfeeding supplies but the owner keeps branching out into other things as she gets more customers requesting things like CDs. When I first went there, she had a small display of cloth items but now she has expanded a lot. she also carries mama cloth... that's where i first saw mama cloth!!!

i heard that some targets have cloth in stores.. not just online... but haven't seen them in my target and probably won't.
#11 of 21 Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
There are very few brick and mortar stores that sell CDs. But, http://nickisdiapers.com/ and possibly some other sites have online registries
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

I'm in the same position as the OP - not pregnant YET and I was looking for some place to register for something other than Gerber prefolds! This site is PERFECT! :
#12 of 21 Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Austin Baby www.austinbabystore.com does registries and it is owned by two moms who bring their kids to work.
#13 of 21 Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM

I had the same problem. We even put the online registry info in the invites..I still got wal mart prefolds. I have a lot of friends who cd as well...same problem.
What finally worked....my mother and law asked us specifically what we wanted...since it is first grandbaby. So we got her on board with the cd'ing and she got us a great gift package from weebunzdiapers.com. Then we placed an order to "fill in the gaps" of what we didn't have. I think the package deals are sometimes easier for people. So much confusing info out there...I don't think people know what to buy!

PS- Does anyone know why the older generation says it's ok to use store bought pf's. My mother and my aunt think it is ridiculous that I won't buy them...as that is what they always used. I'm wondering if they used to be better quality when cd'ing was still the norm????????
#14 of 21 Old 08-23-2008, 03:03 PM

My target also sells the Diaper Service Quality gerber diapers. The good ones, not the poly-fill.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#15 of 21 Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Well Target carries Bumkins but I think they aren't very good as far as cloth goes. Some people have said that Bumgenius is being tested in some stores, hopefully they will start carrying them!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 21 Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Just saw BumGenius 3.0s at our local Target (in Chicago) yesterday. Granted, there were only 3 pink and 1 yellow on the rack, but it looked like there had been more, as there were a few empty racks!
#17 of 21 Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Cosco and Target are both carrying cloth diapers sets these days.

Any cloth is better than no cloth -- I would even vote on the poly fill cloth at Baby's R Us over the Gels, plastics and dioxins in disposables and G diapers.

google to see if you have a local. established WAHM in your area who may also work with you.

ie: 18.5 years ago I was having a shower for my 1st baby. I ASKED for cloth diapers -- I received 6 dozen prefolds -- it was one of the best gifts I got (and I received just about everything inclusive of furniture that I needed).
I recently had a customer soon to be having her very first baby. She is out of state but originally local and wanted to use cloth and support a local business.

She ordered her first dozen, her friend ordered her second dozen of newborn fitteds, and a collective group of loving friends ordered her next set of Smalls of 15 diapers. For the most part she can add in a quality dozen of small prefolds and her covers and she is set for about the 1st year. She was lovely to work with and she was able to pick out what colors and prints she personally wanted for her new baby.

On the informational side of things. You will "usually" get a superior product from a WAHM Diaper Company. Unlike the mainstream companies, with a WAHM company you get some choices in what you would like -- being that these choices come with a more customized service attached, you would need to expect to allow a larger cushion in time for the over all transaction depending on the size of the order. Wholesalers sell bulk to the buying retailers who carry bulk, thus often a quick return time to the consumer. Many WAHM companies create one of a kind product often times using superior materials and their independent design. Usually a more distinctive and less mass produced in appearance.

I bet you would have a local wahm who could also help provide some of your needs if you would like a bit of variety.

Good luck, and congrats for making the healthy leap into the cloth world.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#18 of 21 Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
Not every Whole Foods. Mine only has 7th generation and G diapers. And I've been to several Whole Foods in Northern CA -same deal. You'd think that here in crunchy California we'd be better, but alas, no.
#19 of 21 Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
My target also sells the Diaper Service Quality gerber diapers. The good ones, not the poly-fill.
How can you tell the difference? What will the package say?
#20 of 21 Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsmommy View Post
Just saw BumGenius 3.0s at our local Target (in Chicago) yesterday. Granted, there were only 3 pink and 1 yellow on the rack, but it looked like there had been more, as there were a few empty racks!
Lucky! I live in Georgia and I doubt I will see CDs any time soon in a store around here!
#21 of 21 Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azariahsmom View Post
How can you tell the difference? What will the package say?

Gah, what do they say. I have to think now, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee The store tag on the shelf says diaper service quality, but I think the package says something about them being premium diapers.
The cheep ones sell in a pack of 12 for $10, and will say super absorbant poly-fill,
The good ones are 6 for $12. That is one way to tell the difference. They are a smaller package and more money. Also the cheep ones will have that weave (birdeye) feeling, and the good ones will be more cottony feeling. I wish I had a package here at the house, but It has been months since buying some.
I hope that makes sense.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page