how did you prep your CPFs and Flats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I currently have unbleached little lion flats. Bleached birdseye flats and UBCPFs are on the way....

So, what did you do to prep your flats and prefolds? I have a small washing machine for my apartment, but it says not to put water over 120 degrees into it, so no pouring boiling water into the mix. I line dry everything, but can make it to the laundromat for a few heated dryer drys if need be. Also, The LL flats are supposed to shrink from 32x32 to 27x27- I would need to machine dry for that to happen, right? I'm also thinking I can do some boiling of dipes on the stove top in a big stock pot. Do people do that? Also, do I really need to use tide or something harsh like that? How many times did you wash/dry? Did you dry after each wash?

Tell me what worked for you!

-Me(31), DH(32), DD(10/21/08!), LO (going for another all natural MW assisted birth ~4/30/11)
Living SustainablyNursing toddler SAHD does it all but BF! EC'd DD PT at 18 mos.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM

I lived in an apartment for several months and used prefolds. I didn't put them in a dryer for about the first 9 months. I wouldn't waste money "prepping" them in a dryer. I would use the hottest water you can use and wash them with about a tablespoon of detergent about 4 times, no drying in between. Then let them line drying is fine. They will still need a few washes to make them the most absorbent, but you can still use them. But I see you LO isn't on the outside yet, so you could go ahead and wash them a few more times. When I did eventually put my prefolds in the dryer it was nice because they come out super soft and quilty, unlike line drying. But then I wanted to put them in the dryer all the time, and we didn't have one at the time. Anyways, the point of all this is that they really don't need to be machine dried at all.

caffix.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-04-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! So, you know how the dryer makes them all nice and quilty? If you dryer dry, then use, wash, and line dry, do the prefolds retain any quiltiness? Of course, I imagine they'd be a bit stiff, like all things line dried. I guess the question is, does dryer drying them have any permanent effect on the prefolds quiltiness level? I don't imagine the flats "quilt" much at all, I can just see them getting a bit softer...

-Me(31), DH(32), DD(10/21/08!), LO (going for another all natural MW assisted birth ~4/30/11)
Living SustainablyNursing toddler SAHD does it all but BF! EC'd DD PT at 18 mos.!
#4 of 4 Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM

I haven't noticed any permanent effect. But if you want to soften line dryed dipes before you put them on the baby you can scrunch them up a bit with you hands and it makes them softer and not so stiff.

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page