Newborn cloth diapers - should I do it or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The midwife suggested using disposables at least until the meconium had passed. So, I bought one pack of newborn 'sposies. But what to do after that?

I have a decent supply of size 1 diapers that say they fit starting at 12 lbs. This is my first baby, so I have no idea how long it takes to get to 12 lbs! I don't really want to shell out a bunch of money for newborn dipes if she will only wear them a month or so...

So, how long did it take for your kiddos to reach about 12 pounds? Would you buy newborn cloth diapers? How long was your baby in newborn sizes?

I expect this baby to be well over 8 lbs at birth - closer to 9 lbs.
#2 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

I can't speak from experience, but I can say that I've decided to take the plunge and CD a newborn. I will have a few disposables on hand, but I think we will start to CD right away. I have read that the meconium isn't an issue - doesn't stain, etc.

I think the weight gain will totally depend on the baby. But regardless of his size at birth and his weight gain, I still can't imagine that he'll be in the newborn diapers very long. We'll see I guess....

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#3 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Are the diapers you have fitteds? prefolds? or pockets?

My babies used regular size prefolds when they were new.

I just practiced folding them down extra small. It took some figuring but we got a fine system. They had extra bulky bums because they weren't newborn sized, but honestly, it was cute and worked fine and passed quickly.

They did not stain. Any staining is fixed easily with sun. Nothing works like sun. Take some freshly washed diapers and hang or even lay them outside and they'll be no stains.

I used "small" bumpy or bummies covers with them on my newborns. It was fine. Just a few covers -- like 4 maybe, and just rinsed them in the sink and put them in the window to dry. I could reuse them later in the day.

This time I'm going with prefolds and snugglebottoms (contoured legs, but way cheaper than fitteds). I got one pack of 6 in the newborn size, but mostly will use the regular small size and regular sized prefolds.

(My babies were 8.8 at birth -- they were 12, I don't know, by 2 months for sure, so just a few weeks really).
#4 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 PM

My babies were both 9.5 pounds at birth. They were twelve pounds around 2 months? Hmm, that can't be right- they were both 20 pounds at 4 months, maybe just before 2 months. Diaper sizes aren't particularly useful by weight- it has more to do with thigh circumference, rise, and waist circumference. My first was a chubby little monster, so she fit into the larger sizes earlier.

I do use plastic until the meconium passes, but I am one of those CDers who if they try to be completely dedicated, will be overwhelmed by the laundry. At least those first couple weeks, I find it helpful to start from a place of convenience and add tasks as I become capable. It's absolutely possible, though, especially if this is your first. What about a diaper service? Then you don't have to buy much, and you can cancel it as soon as your baby starts growing into the dipes you have.
#5 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM

With DS, I used NB size diapers until I went to cloth around 5-6 weeks old. A friend who clothed recommended not doing it right away the first time around since you'll be recovering, going through new mommy stuff, and the new-to-breastfeeding stage. I am so glad I listened to her. Nursing was great and easy, but it was so nice not to worry about learning the cloth system and washing them until things were a little more settled. I'm not saying you shouldn't though. If you're wanting to, go for it!!! But, if it doesn't work right away, that's okay; there is still pleanty of time to do it.

This time around, I was planning on clothing the NB from birth, but I am just not feeling up to it with my DS who is 2 years in 1 week and with a bunch of major construction going on around my house right now (no using water 7 am-4 pm for the next few weeks or longer). I bought four packages of 7th Gen newborn size diapers. I think that should last us 2-3 weeks, then to the cloth we'll go.

If you plan to have more children, it's worth buying some prefolds and NB covers to use. I bought some used after DS was born, but didn't use with him. To do it super cheap, buy some prowraps and used prefolds. (I never buy new prefolds -they're too much work to get ready). If you aren't sure, I'd see if I can borrow some from local mommies. The moms in my AP/NL local group have borrowed each other's. It's a bit expensive to buy them since you only use the NBs for about 5-10 weeks, then the SM for about 3 months. The mediums are where I'd spend my money. Kids seem to be in mediums forever!

Either way, it won't hurt to have another package or two of NB sposies. Good luck!
#6 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 02:35 PM

We got newborn prefolds and some fitteds for our little girl - we had about 26 newborn sized cloth and 2 dozen infant. I read enough to trust that meconium was no issue, and it really wasn't. (If you put olive oil on the baby's bum, it's even easy to get it off them!). It sort of seemed overwhelming at first, but we got it down to a science. Mr Toona helped with laundry and changing (well everything), so that helped too. Some folks like to go with a cloth diaper service for the first month, I can see the appeal in that.

Everyone told me that I would have a huge baby, so I was worried that the newborn size would last like a week. Well she was 7lbs 7 oz and I think she was in newborn prefolds for a month, maybe a bit more, the infant sizes looked huge comparatively, but they definately folded down to fit her (we did it when we got too overwhelmed to wash all the diapers). The fitteds seemed to last about a month longer than that. We got covers mostly from diaperswappers and the trading post here.

signature currently in transition
#7 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 PM

Yes you should do it! I didn't do disposables at all last time and it was totally fine.

You can get preemie prefolds that will definitely fit from the beginning for about $1 each then they can be doublers, wipes, pads, etc later. Get 2-3 dozen and 3-4 cheap covers (proraps are totally cheap) and do that. Since you already have disposables use them at night or for going out.

This will save you quite a bit of money in the long run and cloth is so cute! If you sew you could even make your own things and make them really cute.

You could dye the prefolds up with Dylon or RIT at home to make them more fun too.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
hyz

Well, I don't know the answer to your question, but here's what I decided for myself, this first time around. I got 1 pack of 7th Generation newborn size disposables--I figured I would like at least the *option* to use those for the first few days. I can return the pack if I don't open it. For after that, I got 8Kissaluvs size 0, 4 Kissaluv boosters, 12 small chinese prefolds, and 4 proraps covers, in addition to my size one/one size stash. The kissaluvs and proraps (and CPFs, of course) are relatively cheap, and I hear they're the best fit for most newborns. I figure that combination should be enough to get us through the beginning, although I know it's not a ton, and we may end up supplementing with more sposies and/or ordering a few more cloth dipes, depending on how things go (what fits, what we like, how big she is...). That was my general approach in ordering diapers, since everyone seems to like something different, depending on baby shape, etc.--I just got a small sampling of things, and figure I'll order more when we see what works for us. We plan on having at least one more kid, so I expect we'll get more than a couple months of use out of these NB things in any event.

Oh, and the US is predicting a large baby for me, too--at 35 weeks they estimated she was already 7.1 lbs (over the 90th percentile). I know those things are often wrong, but I have plenty of room in my long torso for a big baby, and I was a decent size when I was born, so I believe they're basically right.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#9 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Gosh I make small kids! My boys didn't hit 20 lbs until their first bday, so they were about 12-15 at 6 months. They were 6.4 and 6.10 at birth. I think my NB stuff will last until 3 months unless my dd outgrows her brothers.

I would invest in a NB stash. They are super easy to re-sell when outgrown.

I plan on switching full time to cloth after the first week.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#10 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM

I got one pack of NB diapers at my shower. I will use them until they are gone and then switch to cloth. Someone got them for me with the idea that DH is not capable of changing cloth diapers. I don't expect DH to change any diapers ever.

I like the idea of having them for the first week or so just so I can get acquainted with baby before I have to go near her with pins and whatnot because this is my first. If I hadn't received them as a gift, though, I wouldn't use sposies. I never would have bought them for myself.

I will use cloth while my MW is still with me (we're planning a home birth) because she CD'd her babies and she can "show me the ropes," as it were.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#11 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM

I'm due early October with my first, and I just ordered a nb stash of cloth. But I'm not against having 'sposies on hand just in case. I can't see the harm in having a few PF's and covers if you don't want to invest a whole lot into any system. They really aren't too expensive and you can always get use out of NB PF's later on.

For me, I wanted to go all out but not spend a ton. I did 6 kissaluvs size 0's, 1 BG AIO, 1 BG NB size, and I think 24 PF's. For covers I went with Thirsties, and I got 6. I also splurged and got 2 Stacinator fleece covers, which are sooo soft and cute, and I have a BSWW as well. There might be a few other things, I just can't recall off the top of my head.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, you just have to see what works for you.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM

I'll probably do what I did last time, and dive in with CD's around 2 weeks. I used prefolds/covers with DD til about 4 months, when we switched to pockets full time. It wasn't a huge start up cost: about $75 for the prefolds, and about $50 for covers. We also bought 3 FuzziBunz for nighttime, which was about $60. I felt it was worth it. She didn't fit into size S anything til about 2-3 months, but the prefolds we could use right from the beginning.
I sold our prefolds and covers, and made about half the money back (maybe a little more).

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#13 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

We never do disposables at all. I do have some infant Muttaquins because I found a deal on them used at the TP. Otherwise I have prefolds, small fitteds, and one size.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#14 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM

I think we'll use disposables at least for a little while. We're using BG 3.0 and they start at 8 lbs, and I'm planning on having a 6-7 lb baby The BG will cost us enough, I can't imagine spending more on NB dipes, though I hate the idea of using disposables. Luckily we've gotten some as gifts (gotta love registering for cloth diapers and having people still get you sposies).

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#15 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to diapering.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM

I got a pack of disposies way before I decided to go fully CD. But I did sew 15 NB fitted, then I got 3 dz of prefolds and another dz was given to me as a swap gift here in MDC I may use the pack of disposies for the beginning but the first nappy he will be wearing is a CD just because I want specially treatment for him in his very first day I may use the disposies, or I may not... let's see how I feel.. my mom is the one who will be doing the laundry and she won't mind at all washing them for me, since we were all CD'ed and she didn't even had a washer back then!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#17 of 29 Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
..... (If you put olive oil on the baby's bum, it's even easy to get it off them!).
Teeny - or anyone else who puts olive oil on their baby's bum. Do you do this before putting the diaper on, or is it a part of the process of cleaning them up after a poopy diaper?

Thanks - I'm clueless about all this as my first is still on his way.
#18 of 29 Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 AM

We did disposable for the first 6 wks with my first and after starting the CD'ing I had wished we would have just done cloth from day 1 b/c it was so easy. We were using PF's then with Bummis wraps.

With this baby, I already bought some size small Fuzzi Bunz but I think they will be too big and I make big babies (8.12 and 10.2). I'm still considering buying some NB size just so they fit right. I want to say that my children were around 12-15 pounds at about 12-16 weeks. And it is true as another poster mentioned that diaper sizes don't correlate well with weight...the rise and thigh circumference are better factors to judge with.

It's true that they will have a very good resale value. You will probably be able to get up to 80% of their original value if in excellent condition. I think having a diaper that fits well is important.
#19 of 29 Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 AM

We used sposies the first day in the hospital.. the middle of the second day we switched to cloth.. to be honest, the meconium was pretty much gone before we switched to cloth! On weight gain, it all depends on your LO.. not really the birth weight. Will you be BFing or Formula? I just read that BF have a faster overall weight gain at the beginning.. My DS #3 was 7pounds 11.8 ounces at birth.. he was 7.04 the day we came home.. he gained his weight back soo fast! He had gained over a pound the first week. (usually LO should be at birth weight by second week) He is now over 12 pounds and is 7 weeks. DS #2, was 8.07 at birth.. my milk didn't come in, he had jaundice and didn't nurse well from the start...had terrible allergies to everything I ate and couldn't gain weight.. he was 18 pounds at a year! DS #1 was 8.01 at birth and was 15.6 at 2 months. However, I have long and lean babies so both DS#1 and 2 (that I used sposies with) grew out of the NB size in the rise, before I even got through a small package of them!
#20 of 29 Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
Teeny - or anyone else who puts olive oil on their baby's bum. Do you do this before putting the diaper on, or is it a part of the process of cleaning them up after a poopy diaper?

Thanks - I'm clueless about all this as my first is still on his way.
You do it before putting the diaper on.
#21 of 29 Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 AM

Yep...get baby's butt nice and clean and just slather some on. And don't forget the crevices at the thigh (and scrotum if baby's a boy!). I personally didn't start CD'ing until about a month old...I have exhausting labors and BIG babies (over 10 lbs!!) with no family that can help out, so the last thing I wanted to be dealing with was diaper laundry!! We were given a few packs of sposies, and so that's what we used. When I felt more like myself again, the sposies went in the closet and we switched to cloth.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#22 of 29 Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm planning on getting a few packs of nb disposables but only because it's my first and it's supposed to be born near Christmas and there may be a lot of hustle and bustle at once for this new mama. I'm not going to buy any newborn prefolds, simply because my mom has told me that she can teach me how to fold them for the baby when it's smaller and that seems so much easier and cheaper.
#23 of 29 Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM

we were going to cd from birth, well once we got home, but I had so much tearing and the dipes were so big and we were so stressed that dp ran out and bought sposies for us to use. we used them for the first week and then tranistioned to cloth when we were over the idea that there was a tiny human now living with us.
#24 of 29 Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Just wanted to put in a word for using cloth soon or right away, too. We used cloth from the start, and it made me really happy to be putting soft, friendly cloth on her little bottom instead of (what felt to me) unfriendly disposables. Since I was pretty weepy for a few weeks after she was born, anything that made me happy was good! We used flushable liners for the first week or so, since EVERYONE, even cloth-diapering siblings, warned us that newborn diapers are horrible and sticky and we should use disposables for a month or so. It wasn't so bad, actually, and the liners made it even easier. We used flats or small prefolds, and just folded them down to size. The only thing I would do differently is that we didn't get newborn-sized covers because all my sibling's kids were almost 9-almost 12 pounds at birth. So my LO was a tiny 7 lb 6 oz, and her "small" covers were pretty big on her at first! But it still worked. The other thing is that cloth diaper are so, well, FUN!!

We did the olive oil thing, too, and I really recommend it. We just oiled her right before putting her fresh diaper on.

Enjoy!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#25 of 29 Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 PM

Just use cloth. We have a newborn stash (kissaluvs 0s) and use them from day one. Mec. does not stain.

My newborn stash has been used for 4 babies now I loan it out as needed.

-Angela
#26 of 29 Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 AM

I suggest skipping "newborn" size and get "infant" Indian prefolds. THey are SUPER absorbant and though they may seem big for a week or so, you will have use for them for a while. I STILL use the infant size prefold as changing pads and DS is 6 months/ 18lbs!
They make great doublers too or stuffin for pockets.

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#27 of 29 Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM

I used NB diapers and will again. They are for poop after all.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#28 of 29 Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM

I vote for use cloth right away, especially if you can get some help with laundering. I also vote for skipping teeny tiny dipes and using some infant prefolds. My 8.5 lber only wore nb dipes for two weeks while my almost 10 lber has skipped them completely (we are using nb covers though).

I only used disposables at the hospital since I had a c/s and wasn't changing every diaper. I didn't think they were any easier to put on than cloth and definitely no where near as nice. The first thing I did when we got yds home was change him into a prefold and wool soaker, I could barely wait!

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#29 of 29 Old 07-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We used disposable until the cord came off mostly because we were given them. My husband was intimidated by diaper changes at first yet he changed every single diaper in the first four weeks so if he wanted to use disposable for 11 days--go for it honey.

We talked about it afterwards and he said that he will probably not need that transition with kid #2.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page