Both Economic and Environmental (which is primary?) 86 58.50%
Other 21 14.29%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked other because for me its primarily health reasons.
Yes, I like the fact that I'm not adding to the landfill with sposies, and its great that I don't have to run out and buy diapers every week. But I just don't feel comfortable with the chemicals in sposies. I don't want that stuff next to my baby's genitals all the time for 2-3 years or more. So I use only cotton prefolds, with nylon covers during the day (bummis orig. or whipser pull-on pants) and wool at night. I would use cotton no matter how much it cost, and although the ewnvironment is really important to me, my children's health is at the very top of my list.

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#32 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM

We CD'd DS because someone got us a gift certificate for 5 weeks of diaper service and 2 free wraps. We ended up buying diapers from the diaper service when I realized how easy it was!

This time we're doing it because we already have the diapers (well, right now they are loaned out, but her son has outgrown the teeny ones, so I'll be getting them back). It's just so easy to do, why NOT!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#33 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM

I really look for ways to save money around the house, and so spending that extra $20 every time I went to the store was just OUT for me. I also try to be aware of my environmental impact, so cloth diapers really fit the bill. What a double benefit! Save money and help the earth while doing it! Since choosing cloth, I have become a CD advocate and try to spread the news about the modern CD choices parents have today.
#34 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Definetly both cost and environmental and health. We had to use sposies for DS' first couple weeks when my BGs just wouldn't fit (he was just slightly too small), and then for a month when my DH was in the hospital and I absolutely hated that. It was such an awful month of all our lives...

Anyhow, for us CD'ings been nearly free - my parents bought us our stash of bumgenius (40 in all), and thats the only thing thats been on DS' bum for months and months. I love that their one-size. They've definetly lasted wonderfully - at 16.5 months he's on the medium size And I'm sure if/when I have another child I'll still have them and be able to use them again.
#35 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 PM

I voted "both," but probably could have voted "both" and "other." I like the environmental aspect, I like the economic aspect (I'm a cheap b@stard at heart, let's be honest), but I also just... I don't know... like the simplicity of it. I think it's a part of my desire to be self-sufficient and not have to go to the store and buy stuff. I have my diapers, I don't need more diapers... one less thing to think about in my life. No running out of diapers and having to run to the store at ungodly hours (convenient, since the store in our village in Alaska is only open until 6pm).

I like it in the same way I like breastfeeding... it may SEEM like more work, but I don't have to leave the house and go buy anything to take care of it, and laundry is way easier than going to the store.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#36 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 PM

I did it because I thought it was better for my daughter.

#37 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM

We started for financial reasons, continued for health and environmental reasons, and stuck with it for personal preference reasons.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#38 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 PM

For us it started out so that I could quit my job and stay home with the babies. So it was two in cloth while at home and sposies at daycare while we saved. Then I quit (hooray) and they were in cloth all the time.

That's when I got hooked. Now its all the above reasons and more... the fluffy softness is probably the biggest.

Dawn, mom to 3 great kids and fishnoodles cloth diapers
#39 of 56 Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Mine were mostly health, actually. I hated the thought of the chemicals and weird substances against sensitive parts of my babies!

The environmental factor has definitely played in, though I do wonder at times with the amount of water I use how much better it is-- or if it's just different???

I did buy more expensive CD (fuzzi bunz), but even so they are paying for themselves in a hurry! That's a benefit, though not the main reason I went with CDs.

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )
#40 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 AM

We chose to CD for the cost benefits mostly. Then I realized about a month into it that cloth is way cuter. It also totally wigged my family out since it was "OMG SO GROSS!" (kind of like how my milk is to them, but that's another thread ).

Angel Wife to Daniel Mama to Astrid (11/06) Leland (9/09)
#41 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 AM

I started almost 19 years ago for environmental and economic reasons.

by my third child it was because of acute allergies to the few disposables I used right after birth.

then it was because of the chemicals and toxins in the diapers that are harming our children.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#42 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Both for me, also health reasons, but the primary factor in the beginning was cost. While I was waiting for my order to arrive and finishing up with sposies, I got so mad because, like a PP wrote, I literally felt like I was throwing $$ in the diaper genie (and ultimately landfill). I also agree with the PP who wrote that cloth diapering made her more environmentally aware; it's made me motivated to "go green" in other aspects of my life too.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#43 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 PM

In addition to environmental and economic (btw, we make our own detergent and it is CHEAP!), I found that CD makes for easier compatibility with "elimination communication" (learning infant's cues for pee/poop, and bringing them to the toilet),
#44 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 08:47 PM

I voted other. I plan on cd'ing for health reasons. I hate the thought of all those chemicals against my little girl's body. The other reasons are just bonus!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#45 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Both here, but mainly for economical reasons. I started when DD2 was 1yo, and we finally moved to a house with our own washer/dryer. I so wish I could have started it from the beginning with DD1.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#46 of 56 Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

All of the above? I wanted to save money, stop building up mounds of diaper trash, and get the nasty chemicals in disposables away from DS.

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#47 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 AM

My primary motivation was/is the environment and health. When I initially pitched the idea to DH I started off by saying "cloth diapers will save us $1500 a year" and he agreed right away. So I guess you could say our family is equally motivated by environmental and economic factors.
#48 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Economic, Environmental and Health reasons.

$$: Basically free diapers for subsequent children

Enviro: NO landfill mark

Health: NO toxic gel in direct contact with my baby's genitals. always a good thing!
:

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#49 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM

I sposied my first dd and we're going to cd this next one. It just made me sick when I saw the amount of waste I was putting out. It can be more economical too.

You forgot the 'Cd are cute and fun and addictive!' option! I feel like I have a new hobby gathering my stash!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#50 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM

I cd'ed my 1st (18 years ago!) purely for environmental/health reasons, but now with #4 it's for economical/environmental reasons.
#51 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Primarily, the reason for cd'ing is health related. I didn't want those yucky chemicals next to his skin. But other reasons include the financial and environmental aspects.
#52 of 56 Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM

i do it because i live on a never know whe the next check is coming in as DH is a self-emplyed custom farmer so it is easier than worrying about wether we can buy diapers that week

E married to "G" 9/06 mama to "A" 6/07 "D" 3/09 "A" due mid sept

#53 of 56 Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 AM

I always tell people these are my reasons, in order of importance to me:

1) Health (don't want my childrens' genitals wrapped in chemicals all day)
2) Environment (1 kid would produce approx 1000 disposable diapers in 3 years -- each one taking 500 years to breakdown. HOW is that responsible???)_
3) Money (although I saved a TON by cd'ing -- I would still do it, even if it cost more than disposables).
#54 of 56 Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 AM

Both, but more economic than environmental.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#55 of 56 Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM

I also do it because it's healthier for babies (unbleached cotton, not scary disposable diaper chemicals).
#56 of 56 Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM

I voted other because the main reason I switched to cloth was because I felt like it was best for my DS and more comfortable and healthy for him. The economic and environmental benefits are a bonus.

~Mariah
Mommy to DS (8/07), DD ( 8/09) and one (5/01) Frontier Midwifery student

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page