Day care provider uses too much diaper cream - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. We use Bum Genius and love them. DS just started day care after being at home with dad for 7 months. She reluctantly agreed to use our diapers, even though she said that "a few years ago she tried it with another baby and they got too smelly" She has been putting a huge amount of bordeaux (sp?) butt paste on DS, and now a few of the diapers are stained with it. I have talked to her about it, but she really would still like to use diaper cream (I don't think it is necessary most of the time). Any recommendations for a gentler cream that won't stain the diaper?

btw - we went through 3 day care providers before finding her, and she is really great otherwise, so this is something that I am just going to have to live with, but I would like to find something better if she is going to insist on using cream.

Also, any ideas for getting the stained diapers clean again?

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say just sun 'em to get out the stains. You can also send along disposable or fleece liners which will protect your dipes from stains. We used Balmex, which doesn't stain but may build up if you're not careful about washing.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM

I've never had a problem with Burt's Bees, but I do use it only when necessary and do not slather it on.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#4 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM

we never use cream unless dd has a rash, and that is very rare. i would just explain to her that you only want to use cream if there is a rash. she should respect your choices as a parent. i cant imgine that diaper cream would be a deal breaker for her with watching your kid. im sure as a provider she has had to do what a parent wanted even if it was different from what she would have done with her own kids.

gl

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#5 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Could you not say something like, "I know you prefer to use diaper cream at every change, but we have found with our DS that it is unnecessary. It builds up on the diapers and causes them to smell. Please do not use diaper cream on our son. If necessary please use XXX cream and these fleece liners to protect the diaper."

You could preface that with how great she is and how happy you are to have found her. But bottom line, you should have veto power on stuff related to your child.

I can't remember what it is but I know someone posted a cream that is compatible with cloth.

You can make fleece liners even if you don't sew. Fleece doesn't ravel so you just cut it to the shape and size you want and it's done.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't bring diaper cream at all unless your child has a rash. Tell her the ped said it was unnecessary, if the approach of saving your dipes doesn't work.

We use California Baby Calendula cream (not the designated diaper rash cream, as it's a barrier and will stain like the others over time). It washes out a lot more cleanly than Butt Paste or Burts, IME.

You could also get some Kushies flushable liners.

But honestly I'd just stop bringing in cream. Unless she's using her own in which case tell her that with cloth dipes they don't NEED the barrier cream because the fleece provides the barrier already.

Most older folks who have experience with CDs are limited to the old style prefolds, which stayed very wet, or the nonbreathable disposables, which also encouraged rashes. With the modern CDs' design in most cases the skin stays dry already so the barrier cream as a preventative is unnecessary.

The buildup over time will not go away in the sun. It will remove some of the stain probably but not the residue, which can contribute to stink and repelling issues. You'll have to strip them with Dawn to remove it and if allowed to continue it can ruin your dipes. Tell her the only thing that will make these CDs stink is if she continues to put a barrier cream on you child.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks. Now that I think more about it, I will just take the cream from her and ask her not to use it unless he has a rash. We had such a rough time finding somebody that we like, I guess I keep thinking that she is the one doing us a favor. We live in a small town, with few good choices. But we are paying her a lot of money, so I can't see how it would be a deal-breaker. Thanks for your replys.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Do you mean Boudreaux’s Butt Paste? If that's what it is it will most likely kill your diapers if there isn't a liner in separating the cream from the diaper.
It's awesome rash cream but not for the CD!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page