Boiling Diapers - How to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you actually boil them like pasta on the stove? For how long?

Or do you just boil up some water and then soak the diapers for awhile?

How often do you do it? Just when the stink is unbearable, or every time you wash?
#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I boil them like pasta on the stove. I only boil prefolds - anything with plastic can melt and wool may felt. I always do at least 30 minutes of them actually being boiled (meaning, that doesn't include the time it takes for the water/diapers to warm up and get the boil going).

The easiest way I've found to do it is in a canning pot, if you have one, because they are so big. I can boil 20 premium prefolds at once in that, whereas my stockpot can only hold about 6 at a time. I only use pots that don't actually touch food for boiling diapers (that's just me though, you probably can use the same stockpot for diapers and soup if you want, because in theory the boiling kills everything).

I do it when I 1) smell ammonia in the diaper pail (or a pre-ammonia salty stink that I've come to recognize) or 2) DD gets a rash. I used to wait until the diapers DD was wearing started to smell, but then I realized that sometimes that was too late and poor DD would start to get a pink tushy. Now that I boil when I smell ammonia in the pail, DD doesn't get rashes anymore. As DD has gotten older and depended more on solids for nutrition, I've had to do it more often. It used to be once in 6 months, now it's about every other time I wash. I think I could get away with it less often if I didn't have an HE washer, or if my washer had a sanitary cycle, though.

Good luck!

T , mom to S and C
#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 PM

wow, the one time i needed to boil diapers, i didn't boil for anything even CLOSE to 30 minutes......

i have 3 dozen prefolds. i separated them into about 6 batches (of 6 each, clearly) and used a big stockpot, which is probably not as big as a canning pot, hence the smaller batches. i boiled for about 10 minutes per batch. i had to add water in between batches and re-bring to a boil. i used tongs to transfer the prefolds out of the boiling water and into a bucket until i got through all the batches, then i ran everything through the spin cycle of my washer and then into the dryer they went. killed whatever bugs were giving my daughter that rashy redness

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 6 Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have hemp fitteds w/ elastic (Little Beetle) -- can they be boiled?
#5 of 6 Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 AM

boiling isn't GREAT for elastic, but it would probably be ok once or twice.....pp said she boils twice a week? i wouldn't do that with anything but prefolds or flats

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#6 of 6 Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 PM

I just boiled my stinky MF doublers. Anyone use Dawn to prep prefolds after boiling?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page