Reactions to CD? Is it really that hard? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Is cloth diapering that hard?
It's not hard at all. 106 61.63%
It's extra work, but worth it. 57 33.14%
I have to cloth diaper, it's cheaper. 2 1.16%
Too difficult, I quit. 5 2.91%
Other 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used disposables with my first child and cloth with my second and third.

I voted "more work but worth it"

Because I did end up changing the CDs more and you do have an extra load or two of laundry a week...but you save SOOOOOOOO much money that to me it is worth it.

I've never understood people getting all up in arms about "diaper pail stink" because ALL baby laundry can be smelly.

Diaper blow-out on a onesie smells too, as does spit-up. Disposable diapers wrapped up in a diaper genie smell to high heaven!

Babies are fragrant people. But it is only a phase and a very brief one at that. If you keep on top of the laundry, you won't have smells.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Extra work, but worth it. Even my DH goes on and on to people about how much he prefers CD's, and all his kids were sposied until DD.

signature currently in transition
#33 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post
Your diaper pail/your house is going to STINK.

They are going to leak everywhere constantly.

He is going to get a rash.

Youre going to have to use disposables at night.
Well, I personally think dirty sposies in the trash stink more. (And I keep my kiddos dirty pail in their bedroom and it doesn't smell at all.)

Disposables leaked more for me, and I always used the expensive brands.

DS#1 was NOT cloth diapered and had rashes, as did my CD'd kids. It was never diaper related, but rather diet or illness related.

A nice absorbant CD at night is WAY better than a disposable...that's when disposables leak the most, because you can't add an insert or doubler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I think your Mom is out of touch with today's cloth diapers and especially, recommended washing techniques. It's less work for me than remembering to buy disposables, but YMMV.
This is likely the case. When I started CDing, my mom and grandma had pictures of birdseye flats and pins and plastic pants in their heads. And CDing is sooooooooo much better than a midnight-run to Wal-Mart because you just used your last disposable. (Which happened plenty before I heard of CDs!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMichele View Post
Cloth diapering has been so integrated in our lives for years here that disposables seem strange to me!
Same here. On the RARE occasion that we use a disposable now, I can't believe how odd it feels....like, who would wear paper clothes? And the perfume in them makes me ill.....opening a package of pampers is like spraying a whole bottle of nasty Fake Flower Scented Glade!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex.mom View Post
As far as people being negative, I find that true in every aspect of parenting. What's wrong with people? Everyone always has something negative to say, whether it's out diapering choices, bfeeding, schooling...you name it. Everyone knows better. I've learned to avoid discussing things with anyone who isn't supportive.
That hits the nail on the head. No matter what you do, in ANY aspect of your children, there will be someone who thinks differently. It's just a fact of life. I've found it easier just to say, thanks for your opinion, I'm happy with my decision, and change the subject.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#34 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM

I've found cloth diapering very easy. The difficulty of cloth diapering is a scam that keeps the disposable diaper industry in business.

I do know people who found cloth diapering difficult. They usually started out with crappy diapers, and didn't have a resource when they ran into problems... their problems were things that could have been resolved easily, but they just didn't know what was available.

I find it very convenient to not have to go to the store and buy diapers. I also love that we've saved so much money.

We've invested about $500 in diapers and supplies over the last four and a half years. We have a lot of stuff though. I got stuff some used. I got some for free. We tried some things that really didn't work or didn't last. I could have managed with just prefolds and bummis or motherease covers... so we could have invested a lot less. It costs $1 for me to wash and dry a load of diapers... but it isn't fair for me count all of that toward the cost since I fill up the washer with sheets and towels to run a full load.

My estimate is that, when all is said and done, we will have diapered three kids for $1200 (cost of washing and drying the sheets and towels included). That's with two kids who wore diapers until they were just short of three, and assuming DS trains about the same time. It doesn't include selling the diapers when we're done.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#35 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_organic View Post
I personally found it easier...because I was not always dealing with leaks. I had many more leaks than with sposies.
Us too. I found that cloth contained runny breastfed baby poop way, way better. All of our poop leaks were in disposables while we were traveling. We have never had a poop leak with cloth, and most of the pee leaks were either from poorly designed AIOs.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#36 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 PM

I voted other because it was too hard for me in the newborn stage & plus my homemade diapers were not very good. Now, I enjoy it, but it's a lot of work. I still sometimes slip into the sposie trap.
#37 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 PM

I said that it is extra work but worth it. In a way it's not really extra work though. i sposied my first and you have blow outs a lot more which means washing ALL of their clothes.

As for your mom's points. I will hit those one by one. But I will preface it by saying- Today's cloth diapers are not our mom's!! The options available now are amazing. I have talked to old school moms who have clothed and they are always amazed by what I would have on my baby's butt. Even your cheap prefold and cover option is light years beyond what they had.

-Your diaper pail/your house is going to STINK. It won't stick you can get a very nice diaper pail at any baby store, that is the same type that people use for sposies. We dry pail, so no soaking.

-They are going to leak everywhere constantly. They don't leak. Everyonce in awhile I have had a diaper leak. Everytime it is my own user error. You learn what works and what doesn't, and it happens quickly. Sposies leaked more on me, and that doesn't even have to do with user error.

-He is going to get a rash. Between my two girls the sposie'd one had WAY more rashes. When my cloth girl started getting rashes it usually meant i needed to strip my diapers. I also found using either a pocket diaper or a liner between the absorbant material and her butt eliminated that problem.

-(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? If you change it often it's not nasty. Plus you don't have the nasty chemicals and carcinogens up against your babies privates that you would have with sposies.

-Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day? Nope, and that is why you change their diaper!

-Youre going to have to use disposables at night. Nope, you don't. Their are many excellent night time diaper options. Some of my favorite are fleece pocket diapers with extra absorbent material. When i didn't use that I just used a pocket diaper with extra absorbant stuff and a fleece or wool cover over that. If I didn't have a cover I would use a piece of fleece between the diaper and her butt. This keeps the moisture off of her skin all night long. The fleece or wool covers work best to hold in all that massive amounts of night time pee. (again this set up worked better then sposies.)

Good luck, my mom took awhile to warm up. But really once she realized it wasn't flats, pins, and gerber plastic (unbreathable) pull up covers she was convinced.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#38 of 59 Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 PM

When your mom sees "modern" cloth dipes she'll change her mind. Even if you go exclusively with old fashioned flats or prefolds, modern covers are way better than what she used. Oh and get some Snappis if you do those-they're way easier than pins!!!

As far as the work involved, we already do a ton of laundry, so washing dipes was not a big deal, especially when we figure we've saved THOUSANDS of dollars in the past three years!

Incentive to potty train is also a big plus, in my opinion. Paddy will turn 3 in three days but has been out of diapers with the exception of nighttime since 24 months. (he can make it through 2-3 hour naps and most mornings he is dry) Henri just turned 2 and is now in underwear during the day, and is doing very well with pottying. I really do think CD'ing makes the difference!

And really, how hard is it to dunk the poo into the toilet, flush, and put the used dipe into a wetbag or pail? And by the way my house does not "stink". I have a Mother of Eden wetbag and it keeps the "stink" in nicely. You can even put essential oil on the sewn-in sachet.

If your mom complains more, just tell her its more eco-friendly and safer for the baby (which is true. The asthma epidemic in this country has been blamed on the chemicals used in disposable diapers)
#39 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 AM

I used to CD and would love to go back to it. IMO it wasn't any more work other than a couple extra loads of laundry a week. I never had a leak or blowout when I used cloth, can't say the same about sposies, and I've tried every brand almost.

My diaper pail never was never stinky with cloth. Now, esp. in summer, if I don't empty the sposie pail into the outside trash every single day, my son's room stinks to high heaven.

The $$$ makes me want to go back to cloth too. I was in Target today and have the prices for sposies skyrocketed! Any brand other than store brands are $$$.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
#40 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 AM

Cloth diapers ARE more work than sposies. Obviously. But are they TOO much work? Not usually. Back when I had one kid I never felt overwhelmed and rarely had to buy sposies. We do about half and half now, but we have a second child with special needs and I can hardly keep up on the laundry as it is. If it weren't for her constant doctor's and therapy appointments, I'm sure it would still be no issue.

Like I said, we also use sposies. Cloth does NOT stink. Well, yeah if you stick your nose in the pail. But if you cover it, it should be fine. Sposies stink. Even if your trash can is covered they stink. You don't even notice it until you've used cloth for a while and then go back to sposies. You wonder how you ever lived with it in the first place.

My DD is continuously tube-fed overnight so she can produce some *seriously* large pees. Cloth absorbs just as well as sposies. We never have leaks no matter what we use.

My DD occasionally gets a rash but it never seems to be from diapers. She's had yeast and I think she's getting a contact rash from her poop because she's getting formula now. Studies show kids in cloth have less rash anyway.

Cloth didn't help my DS potty-train earlier but that's because he did not care one bit if he was wet.

Cloth is not like sitting in a wet towel all day because you CHANGE the baby when they pee. Dur.

Sorry, your mom really doesn't have a good reason for discouraging you. You'll do fine and love it and then you can show her you were right.
#41 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM

i started CDing my Ds when he was about 8-9 months or so because the sposies ALWAYS LEAK esp. at night. I love it and I'm in an apartment complex (ie-communal washer) I had a couple of detergent issues but once I worked all that out, its actually kind of fun (I use combo of FuzziBunz, BG & Swaddlebees).

And its really only 1 extra load of laundry/per week so not so bad. And no stinky pail either and I only wash the dipes once a week (I do sprinkle the pail with tea tree oil every couple of days)

And my new CD obsession is the wool cover I use for nighttime diapering. They are so incredibly soft, cute and most importantly don't leak! :

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#42 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelilae View Post
I'm convinced cloth smells much less than most 'sposies. A friend's 'sposie diaper pail was awful! She was using Pampers and Luvs and it did stink up the room at times. I've never smelled my diaper pail except when it was open around laundry time.
i agree. we use disposables for bedtime and when we're lazy and the disposable pail stinks to high heaven much more than the cloth pail. AND i find the diapers themselves smell. i can smell a wet baby from a mile away in a disposable but not in a cloth.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#43 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:

She has said today (I was at her house all day).
Etc.

-the diaper pail stinks when you open it (however, the only one that stank up the house was the sposie pail.) i haven't found a great pail system yet so if you're going to spend a bit on your system, it might be worth it. i have a cheap pail from wal-mart and, though it works fine, i wish i'd just bought something like a step can and a wet bag for it.
-the good ones last quite some time before leaking. though our disposables (no name from the grocery store) leak very rarely, the same can be said for the BG and Motherease with the right covers.
-my son has only had one diaper rash (he's 2.5 and we started CDing at about 8 months) and i think it was b/c the diapers weren't clean enough but not sure. my mom HAD to use cloth on me b/c of diaper rash/allergies to disposables.
-we do use disposables at night but don't plan to with the new little one unless there's some weird reason for it.

sometimes it's more inconvenient and takes up more room but a lot of hassle has gone out of CDing now that my washer/dryer are on the main floor instead of the basement!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#44 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
When I first started I was using sposies when we went out. .
haha i'm ashamed to do that b/c i don't want to advertise sposies. i have myself convinced someone is going to notice! LOL. or that i could've converted someone if he'd just had his cloth on. if he does wear sposies out, i tend to put him in overalls so no one can see!!
some days i wonder about myself

#45 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I just bought a big stash of CD's today and started up.
My mom, although willing to participate, has plenty negative to say about it. She CD'd, at least part time, 4 kids.

She has said today (I was at her house all day).
(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day?
Etc.

She has a lot of experience, and obviously she is not thrilled about the extra work involved when she is taking care of him.

SO what do yall think? Is CD that bad? Do modern conveniences make all the difference? Am I overly optimistic about my decision?

ok, honestly, my husbands dirty work clothes stink more than my diaper pail.

disposables leak! my cds can be made to fit better! and I have NEVER had a good wool soaker that leaked at all.

rashes happen if you don't change often enough, no matter what you use.

and yeah, sitting in a wet diaper ALL DAY would suck! I would never let my kid sit in it all day. that is why you change them! and fortunately, with cloth, you can do that as often as you like, and it won't cost you any more! which, in my opinion, is why kids who cd learn that it is soo much nicer to be dry.

Every time i used disposables at night they leaked. when I cd, i can double wrap her and she never leaks. She also wakes up a lot drier too instead of soaked and coated in diaper gel.

not to be snarky, but your mom sounds like she has hygiene problems instead of cd problems.
#46 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
...the disposable pail stinks to high heaven much more than the cloth pail. AND i find the diapers themselves smell. i can smell a wet baby from a mile away in a disposable but not in a cloth.
The smell of disposable diapers gives DH a headache. When we buy them for long trips he tries to find the least smelly... and that's before they're peed or pooped in. Once they've been soiled they have to go in the inside garbage immediately.

#47 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
betcha your mom will be over the moon when she sees how cute dipes are nowadays!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#48 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It's extra work but it is so worth it....from what I remember when my sisters were little. I talked to DH about CDing when the time comes and he is totally on board :

happytears.gifMe - married to DHROTFLMAO.gifMomma to furbabies dog2.gifStanley and dog2.gifOscar. TTCing #1 after angel.gif 10/13angel.gif 4/14 waiting for my rainbow1284.gif
#49 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

I've done both for considerable lengths of time (2 years doing cloth exclusively, followed by about six months of cloth/disposables and then a year of disposables only). I personally think that cloth is extra work. Changes take a little bit longer (unless you use AIOs), you usually have to wash the diapers twice and they take awhile to dry as well.

It's not *hard* to cloth diaper per se, but it is a little extra work. I don't think it's really hard at all with one in cloth but when you have 2 or more in cloth it can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you use all wool covers like I used to (I've since switched to machine washable covers due to cost and time issues).

I do think cloth is way worth it. Also, sposies stink like nothing else. Ew!
#50 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 PM

responding to all the OP's questions: I was very happy with CDing. What was too hard was trying to CD part-time and use disposables while out, which is what I was trying to do at first. All CD all the time was much easier for me, personally. The only time we used disposables was when out of town.

My personal opinion is that you do have to be a bit more vigilant with pee changes in cloth than in disposables. But letting your kid marinate in their own pee is never good, regardless of what they're wearing. The single exception is overnight. I *never* changed my baby overnight unless there was a #2 that I was aware of. If you want to be extra meticulous, or if your baby is getting rashy, or if the CD is leaking, you can stick a fleece doubler in there - they work great to wick away pee. That and some naked time during the day are great.

Stink isn't an issue if you're careful about closing up the diaper pail really well. Id on't see what that's any different from sposies - I mean, there's human waste either way, right?

Good luck & enjoy your baby!
#51 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM

It is a little extra work but I also do it for the financial reasons (plus the enviroment, health ect)

The only thinkg that was difficult for me is that my first child could not use them and I spent lot of effort into trying to make it work. DD has no rash issues at all as long as she is in wool

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#52 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM

I don't feel it is hard at all.

I do feel that too many choose a stash of all one diaper and get frustrated as it may not be the best fit for their particular needs.

I always suggest that a stash should be a bit of a mix to feel out what you best like, inclusive of various covers too. What is one persons love is another ones dislike.

establishing routine is key to good diapering success.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#53 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Your diaper pail/your house is going to STINK. There is NO stink. I have a lid for my pail. Poop goes in the toilet. Smells less I think than having poopy sposies sitting around.
They are going to leak everywhere constantly. I have had 1 cd leak in 15 months.
He is going to get a rash. Sometimes babies get rashes...cd or sposies My cd'd ds rarely has a rash and when he does it's not from the dipes.
(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day? He can feel the wet more sure, but he is changed frequently. I think sposies are more nasty anyways because of they can absorb so much pee and it just hangs out there.
You're going to have to use disposables at night. I was told this too...not true, I use cloth with no problems, no leaks.

caffix.gif

#54 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
The smell of disposable diapers gives DH a headache. When we buy them for long trips he tries to find the least smelly... and that's before they're peed or pooped in. Once they've been soiled they have to go in the inside garbage immediately.
i have friends who use disposables and they'll be sitting there putting their son's butt right up to their noses going "i think he's wet." and the other will try too "i think so. you think so?" meanwhile, i'm across the room thinking "are you kidding me?! i can smell it from here!" LOL

#55 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM

I voted "extra work, but worth it". I've been cloth diapering for almost two years and though there have been some challenges, none of the problems in the OP have happened to me. When it comes to leaks and smell especially, cloth diapers are the winners.

There's no denying that cloth diapers are more work than disposables. There's a learning curve, and you will need to do a little adjusting here and there to hit upon the "perfect" wash routine based on the brand of diapers, your washing machine, and your water. But, I've found them to be much more reliable than disposable diapers, and they're much gentler on my son's skin, so the extra effort's well worth it. I'd still cloth diaper even if it was a bit more expensive than disposables.
#56 of 59 Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Cloth diapering has come so far since your mom did it!! I would buy her AIO's and a wetbag for her house and let that be that. She'll soon see how easy and nice it is. I only wash every 3 days and my house does not stink. Not even the laundry room where the wetbag is stored (open, btw). Buy her some Depends and make her wear them for a month, if your kid has to be in paper, then so does she!
#57 of 59 Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree View Post
I don't feel it is hard at all.

I do feel that too many choose a stash of all one diaper and get frustrated as it may not be the best fit for their particular needs.

I always suggest that a stash should be a bit of a mix to feel out what you best like, inclusive of various covers too. What is one persons love is another ones dislike.

establishing routine is key to good diapering success.
ITA with this!!! I have all kinds of different dipes-sometimes I think my changing table looks ridiculous and DH gets confused about which one to use LOL! But I have prefolds with Bummis covers and other kinds of covers, I have BumGenius, Fuzzi Bunz, cheap Gerber flats and plastic pants (for when I get lazy about the laundry oops! ) and Sammy's one-size fitted sherpa dipes (which are just WONDERFUL. I wish my whole stash was these!!) But I like to mix things up. Its good to have different dipes for different occasions and times of the day too. I save my FB's for nighttime, for example, and use my prefolds and covers around the house, and use the Sammy's when we go to the store (they're UBER absorbent)
#58 of 59 Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have been cloth diapering for over two weeks now and i like it!! It doesnt stink, he doesnt have a rash. In fact i had to put him in a disposable the other day for him to fit in a certain outfit i had already picked out for portraits, and it made his skin much redder than the cloth.

i havent had many problems with leaks either. i didnt have any leaks at first and now i am having some, so i need to troubleshoot. I actually think i am having fewer leaks with prefolds and covers than with the kushies (i have some ultras and classics, yeah i know they arent highly favored but i got them for REALLY cheap and i am on a tight budget).

Washing them is no problem although i wish i had a house with a washer/dryer and clothesline for decent weather. Coin laundry stinks!!

THe only thing i'm not too crazy about is the bulk, not only that he outgrew a ton of his clothes instantly, but that they require a whole extra bag when going back and forth to my moms for the weekend (and the pail) and that my nifty changing wallet that held a couple of disposables for a quick trip cant be used now.

all and all though i am happy with it and its great to know that i am doing something for his health and the environment while also saving money!
#59 of 59 Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

oh and my mom *does* greatly prefer the AIO's.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page