Reactions to CD? Is it really that hard? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Is cloth diapering that hard?
It's not hard at all. 106 61.63%
It's extra work, but worth it. 57 33.14%
I have to cloth diaper, it's cheaper. 2 1.16%
Too difficult, I quit. 5 2.91%
Other 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a big stash of CD's today and started up.
My mom, although willing to participate, has plenty negative to say about it. She CD'd, at least part time, 4 kids.

She has said today (I was at her house all day).
Your diaper pail/your house is going to STINK.
They are going to leak everywhere constantly.
He is going to get a rash.
(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day?
Youre going to have to use disposables at night.
Etc.

She has a lot of experience, and obviously she is not thrilled about the extra work involved when she is taking care of him.

SO what do yall think? Is CD that bad? Do modern conveniences make all the difference? Am I overly optimistic about my decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 AM

It's extra work, but definitely worth it. In fact, I get a weird sense of pleasure and satisfaction from sitting on the couch and folding/snapping/stuffing my nappies (sorry, diapers, you'll have to excuse my Aussie terminology) and then looking at them all piled up nice and colourful under DS's change table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post
(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day?
Etc.
My nappy bucket doesn't stink when the lid is shut, nor does my house. I dry pail (so no soaking or bleaching, like our mothers would have done). I was every 2 days, so there really isn't time for them to get too smelly.

They don't leak any more frequently than sposies. When DS was a newborn, of course his newborn breastfed poo leaked occasionally - I've heard that this is very common with sposies too. Now that he's older (15 months), they never leak. Ever.

DS has never had nappy rash. Ever. He got a tiny red ring around his anus once, from eating dairy, and has never had anything since. Some children are prone to nappy rash, others aren't. I've been lucky, but I don't think using sposies will necessarily prevent nappy rash. I do change DS frequently (at least every 2 hrs) so that might help too.

I do use sposies at night, but I didn't for the first 12 months of DS's life. I only do now because he ALWAYS does a huge, smelly, sloppy poo in the early hours of the morning, and it makes my cloth nappying laundry so much easier just to be rid of that one poo daily. But I'm just lazy that way

Good on you for making the decision to use cloth

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 AM

I personally found it easier...because I was not always dealing with leaks. I had many more leaks than with sposies.

My house never smelled...but I washed every day or every other day.

BTW: I CD twins
Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 AM

I think your Mom is out of touch with today's cloth diapers and especially, recommended washing techniques. It's less work for me than remembering to buy disposables, but YMMV.

I'm on my second child and do all cloth except a couple weeks a year when we're at a family summer cottage (no washer; I don't mind line drying, but I'm not lugging dirty dipes to a laundromat during vacation to wash them!). I would highly bet your mom used prefolds, maybe pinned, and probably old style, leaky covers. If your mom is my mom's age, she probably dunked, did a wet pail with smelly water that had to be changed too which I find really foul personally. If I had to dunk/wet pail, I would probably not be cd-ing.

You have many many more options to choose from, and even with prefolds, you also have doublers, better PUL or wool covers with different fits, advice from MDC and web stores, and snappis. I've never been caught out with a massively poopy baby that got the caregiver as well; but 2 of my sposie friends have. I have neglected to wash dipes when I should have and noticed a bit of stink in the house. (And threw the dipes in the wash right away!) No big deal.

Do show your mom what ti do though, so she doesn't do it the old hard way. I had to explicitly stop my mom from dunking dipes in the toilet early on (with the diaper service even, my mom was still trying to dunk them ! which made the whole pail really really really wet and gross and then the dipes going back to the service for washing had to be double bagged.)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 AM

I've been cloth-diapering my children since my oldest was 10 months old (6 years ago). My second daughter was nearly always in cloth and my son has only used disposables when we went on vacations. (He was born at home and I even used adorable Kissaluvs size 0 with liners for him from the start!)

One extra load of laundry per week (or maybe two when baby is young) is hardly noticeable. It only smells if you put your nose into the diaper pail; the smell does not escape into the house! LOL

I don't think we've had any leaks with cloth diapers, but I remember many leaks with my oldest daughter in disposables. The breastmilk poo goes right up the back of the disposable, but gets caught in the texture of the cloth diaper. Fitteds are the best for this, of course. I may have had some messier diapers when I used prefolds and Prowrap covers with my oldest. I don't think I've ever had a leak with Kissaluvs, wahm fitteds, or Fuzzi Buns.

My children are not in wet diapers for more than a few minutes because at home I don't use a cover and change them immediately. When we go out we use Fuzzi Buns which feel dry even after being peed in.

My children have not had any diaper related rashes (only food related ones). Probably because I change them so frequently.

We use Fuzzi Buns at night stuffed with folded up large prefold. The prefold is sometimes soaking wet, but baby's tushy is dry!

Cloth diapering has been so integrated in our lives for years here that disposables seem strange to me!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 AM

I don't think it's hard at all. I enjoy it actually(though m/s might make me use sposies a bit more often so I don't have to deal with the poo). But really they have changed so much over the years that things your mom did are different now. Not to mention all the different types of CD's there are. I'm sure she'll end up being pleasantly surprised.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 AM

My 3rd ds is now 4 1/2 I started whenhe was 1 BECAUSE i battled bleeding diaper rashes for his first year. I went to cloth and they went away he may have had some minor rashes from teeth /illness but NOTHING like he had before.
I love my fitteds but also use/used pockets alot.
My house NEVER stunk
I washed every 2 days During the summer in a powder room size bathroom I did add a little baking soda w/ a few drops of teatree oil to the pail.
Nathan potty trained at 2 1/2 I think it was because he felt damp when he peed the posies dont allow that and you see many kids not even getting a clue about potty training till 3 1/2 or older

Believe me I was a super mainstream momma but cloth is SO worth it. Im pregnant again this time from birth.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM

I have CD'd all three of my kids. My oldest will be 6 in a couple of weeks.

We used disposable diapers part time until he was 4 months old. We went through many brands - most giving him a bleeding rash along with what looked like a chemical burn wherever the diaper touched his skin. And LEAK ! Oh my did the disposables leak.

So, for us, CD'ing has been MUCH easier - even when we lived in an apartment and I washed everything (including diapers) by hand and hung to dry.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM

I used cloth 100% of the time from birth until about 15 months old. I now cloth during the day and 'sposie at night.

I think it's MUCH easier to cloth and much cheaper. I don't mind doing laundry (I actually like it). The people who I know that find it to be a little hard are those who hate doing laundry. All of my friends I knew before I was pregnant used 'sposies and I remember them running out in the middle of the night to buy more. We've never had to do that. With #2 on the way, it's nice to have them all ready and handy for this one.

I traveled away from home for about 6 days. I used cloth the entire time. It was easy too; no problems whatsoever.

When I worked, I had my son with me in the cloth. I had random board members and colleagues come into my office to see my son and check out his cloth diapers. They couldn't believe how great they are nowadays and didn't get why more didn't cloth now that it's not just cotton and rubber pants.

I'm convinced cloth smells much less than most 'sposies. A friend's 'sposie diaper pail was awful! She was using Pampers and Luvs and it did stink up the room at times. I've never smelled my diaper pail except when it was open around laundry time.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM

I voted extra work, though I don't find it hard or tiresome.

I sposied my first 2, so I have that background--if I'd started with cloth, I probably wouldn't see it as "extra"!

My main reason for cd'ing my 3rd was that I couldn't stand the thought of all those poop-filled (I know you're supposed to dump the solids, but really, who does that?) sposies in the landfill. After getting "into" it, though, I love the cuteness and softness of cloth.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 AM

It's more work, but not too bad. I don't have a choice now because we don't have trash picked up. I have to use cloth.

It was a little tricky for me to figure out which detergent to use and how to get them really clean. I battled some nasty diaper rash at first, but now it's fine. I started cding DS #1 at 18 months and DS #2 at 2 months.

Leaks are worse with my toddler in cd rather than sposies. It's not a problem though. I don't mind a little leaking pee.

Leaks are the same or better with the baby.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM

It is not hard at all. We do diapers every other day and we hang ours to dry. We have had an occasional leak but that was mostly due to diapers that were not tight enough/penis not in the down position/gappy legs. Not the diaper's fault . DS has only had one disposable on in his life and the next one won't even have that. I don't find cloth to be a hassle it just requires a "system". My prissy main stream Sister stated that she would never cloth diaper or breast feed... She has reconsidered because "it really is not that bad". FWIW we only use prefolds and soakers/prowraps. I have "fancy diapers" but I don't like them at all.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM

I voted it is not hard at all. In fact, I think cloth diapering is easier (you never have to worry about running out of diapers or lugging around big, bulky boxes).

*I have never had a problem with the cloth diaper pail smelling up the house...let alone the closet in which it is stored.

*I have never had a problem with leaking cloth diapers. But, I have used sposies on vacation...which led to leaking and diaper rash!

*At night, the LO wears a prefold with a couple of doublers (hemp & microfleece) and wakes up dry and fresh...after 10+ hours of snoozing!

Plus, I love CDing because it is fun! Like, Peppermint Poppies, I enjoy taking care of those fluffy dipes.... CDing is better for baby (comfort!!!) and the environment...and, it saves a bunch of $.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM

I voted not hard at all. I have never used a disposable (never have babysat) so I really don't know any different. I decided I would CD and that's just how it is. I usually forget disposables exist. And I have never been tempted to use one.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

I would rather be in a wet towel all night than wear a maxi pad for the first 3 years of my life!

We just started last week. My twins are 5 months. No stink, no leaks, no hassle. Well, my only hassle is that I didn't order enough b/c I wanted to try different things so I am doing diaper laundry 2-3 times daily right now. But ordering more today! I enjoy putting cloth on them. I know it feels better. My mil rolled her eyes when we said we were starting cloth, we showed her some fitteds, pockets and aios (which we use for night and travel, pfs during day at home) and she changed her tune. It has come a looooong way from when we were kids 30 years ago.

And with the 1000s of dollars we will be saving maybe I can get a new car!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 PM

I voted other because while CDing isn't hard it is a little more work and there is a learning curve but it is totally worth it.

I use simple prefolds and Bummies covers (though I lust after some of the cuter dipes and I'm going to get some fitteds because DH is scared of the pins)

I have no stink problems. I wash about every 3rd day and use a dry pail.

IME we have less leaks with cloth than the sposies, especially once I mastered folding and pinning the prefolds. When I first started I was using sposies when we went out. I can't tell you how many times I changed her into a sposie then laid her down to gather our stuff to leave the house only to have to change her clothes because the stupid sposie leaked. I finally just started cding full time.

My DD is not a heavy pee-er. At night I just add a doubler to her regular diaper and use a bigger cover because if the bulk. I've never had a night leak (except for the night I forgot to put a cover on her )

DD has very sensitive skin. We have fewer rashes with cloth. In sopsies, dd's bottom was always red and on the verge of a rash. In cloth, the skin of her bottom is the same color as the rest of her skin.

I love cding. : Since we BF and cd I never need to buy anything from the baby aisle at the grocery store. I kind of enjoy breezing on by it every time in the store.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 PM

It is more work. And I don't mean just that extra load of laundry every other day...some trouble-shooting and whatnot...otherwise, why would there be a whole forum for it here! lol But it's worth it. I kinda view it like breastfeeding. I had to bottlefeed one of my (adopted) children, and IMO breastfeeding is more work. But I wouldn't choose the easier route just because it is. On the other hand, one thing I'd never say is that there are more messes/leaks. Paper diapers can't touch what cloth dipes can do for a newborn.

As far as people being negative, I find that true in every aspect of parenting. What's wrong with people? Everyone always has something negative to say, whether it's out diapering choices, bfeeding, schooling...you name it. Everyone knows better. I've learned to avoid discussing things with anyone who isn't supportive.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I've never used disposables so I can't compare, but I will say that my house doesn't stink (or if it does, it's the cat's litter box, not the baby's diaper pail). The diapers don't leak; in fact, I shudder when I hear my friends talk about the leaks they get with disposables. Dd practically never gets diaper rash, and we change her when she's wet, except at night, but at night we stick an extra diaper in there and it doesn't leak and it doesn't give her diaper rash.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM

I've been CDing for 2 years now. Never had a blow out. Never had a rash. My house does not stink. It's not hard at all- just an extra load of laundry.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM

i made the switch to cd when ds was 9 months-ish. it was so much easier than i expected and i'm glad to have made the switch. i will start with cd immediately when i have a second child.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 PM

My mother had the exact same reaction as the OP. She diapered in the days of nasty plastic pants, wet pails, harsh detergents, flats, and pins. So, for her, the pail did stink, the diapers did blow out, and kids did get rashes.

I tried and tried to convert my mother, showing her the wonderful fitteds and comfy covers we use... go on without even a snappi.... but nope. She is STUBBORN. So fine, I let her buy the pricey 'sposies for when she babysits, and I use cloth.

And guess who gets peed and pooped on? Not me.... LOL

I voted not hard at all. The first little bit of time is more work, but once you know what works for you and you get your routine down, it's no harder than a load of laundry. I find CDing very satisfying for some strange reason, and I am very lazy. I even use wool (and adore it).

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post

Your diaper pail/your house is going to STINK. Not true for me
They are going to leak everywhere constantly.Leak less than sposies, IMO
He is going to get a rash.Far less rashes with CD for our daughter
(When I said that CD kids potty train 6 months earlier) Why? Because it is so nasty? Can you imagine being in a wet towel all day?depending on what you use, they really don't feel wet and (really) they're sitting in the same stuff in a sposie PLUS they're also sitting in a ton of chemicals
Youre going to have to use disposables at night. CD work fine for us at night

SO what do yall think? Is CD that bad? Do modern conveniences make all the difference? Am I overly optimistic about my decision?
IMO, you're not overly optimistic. there is some extra work involved in some ways, but other things that you won't have to do, too. you know, like run out to the store at random hours to buy more sposies I love CDing and I really think it's more comfortable for the baby as well. modern conveniences aren't always everything they're cracked up to be, but because people perceive them as "easier" or "less disgusting" they don't tend to give a lot of credence or thought to doing things the old-fashioned way. good luck!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM

To me it's not hard at all. I started cloth diapering almost 2 years ago with my twins and my 2 year old. I have an extra load of laundry every other day but I have 7 soon to be 8 kids so I do laundry constantly anyway. They don't stink up the house, actually disposables stink a lot worse even when they aren't poopy because of the chemicals in them. I also had a lot more leaks with disposables not to mention they were expensive and inconvenient when I'd run out. My mom also gives me a lot of flak about it. Mainly because she thinks it's more work. My dad's family think it's great though. They cloth diapered back in the day and they absolutely love the modern day version of cloth diapers and are very impressed with them.

My dh absolutely refuses to ever go back to disposables. He thinks cloth is so much easier. He also thinks they are healthier for the babies and says they have to be more comfortable than those yucky thin, papery disposables. He doesn't get excited about the cuteness of fluff but he certainly is a huge advocate for the practicality and healthiness of cloth diapering.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Ah yes - another good point. My DH was a little wary of CDing, but now he likes them much better. DS had never had a real rash, but sometimes is a little irritated after a day in my mom's 'sposies. A night in CD clears him up.

Annd..... my DH changes diapers more than I do! I have no idea why - before CD that was not the case (not that he slacked). But I think he finds them satisfing too.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM

I love to cloth diaper. I love the laundry. I love the way they look. I will never ever use disposables again. I don't see the need for disposables at night. I can't seem to figure out why a disposable would be better at night than a good wool cover but hey, everyone is different. My mother gave me hell about choosing to CD as well. She CD me and had a diaper service even. Once she saw the way cloth diapers are now and how easy they are to care for and how ridiculously cute they are, she totally supports it. She even shows off the baby's diapers to her friends and talks about the "wonderful system" we have for CD.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM

I did not find it any extra work unless you hate washing clothes to the point you never do. I personally had more blow outs with my son in disposables and more night leaks in them as well. I don't think you are being overly optimistic. My main reason for cloth diapering is not cost or benefit to the baby (though those are nice) but environmental. I don't think that generating thousands of balls of paper, plastic and gel that will still be on earth in hundreds of years to be a reasonable personal cost to the environment. Seriously, washing a couple of loads of diapers a week, even if I did find it to be a lot of extra work, is not a reason to use so much of the world's resources on temporary butt covers for my kid. I know that sounds harsh, but it is how I choose to live my life- it is not always about what is easiest for me. I think that is a worthy lesson to teach my kids.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM

I have been doing it continuously for almost 4 years. For about six months, I had three in cloth diapers all at once. I did it through the complete chaos of having newborn twins in the house. And I've never given up. It's really no big deal, once you get a routine going. If it was, I would have given up a long, long time ago. I am a lazy, lazy person, and I don't do things that are too much of a hassle.

I've never had pail odor, except when I let the wash get put off for too many days.

I've had at least ten times more leaks when I've used disposables than I ever had with cloth. Good quality cloth shouldn't leak. You do have to change wet diapers immediately, though. You can't let them sit around wet like people do with sposies. But seriously, poopy blowouts are a fact of life in the newborn months, when you use sposies. I have never ever ever ever had one not even once, with three kids, in cloth.

Choose natural fibers, not synthetics, if you want the laundry to be simple. The synthetic stay-dry fibers seem to hold onto odors and stains in a way real fibers just don't.

It's about five minutes extra work a day for me.

I heard it from everybody under the sun about how much work it was going to be and what a mess, and how I'd give it up within a week. Well, it's been 4 years, and here I am. So no, I think it's an entirely realistic decision, and the responsible and healthy choice.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Cracks me. My mom said the same thing. "You don't want poop in your washer!" Which is why it took me so long to take the leap. Now--she's made my DD diapers and looks at my stash enthusiastically.

But like I tell people--these are not your mom's (and grandmother's) diapers!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm in the "it's extra work, but it's worth it" camp. And that is mostly because I live in an apartment building and I have to go down to the basement and use coin-operated machines to wash our diapers. That is honestly the only thing I find hard about the whole thing.

I actually like changing his diapers and trying out different products, and I love knowing that I am not throwing our money away with every change. We haven't had any issues with stink, but did deal with leaks for a little bit while we found out what worked best for our son.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM

It's a little more work, but not that bad and totally worth it IMO. And so much cheaper and easier than buying sposies all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99
Mine doesn't. I use a dry pail and as long as the lid is on, it's not bad. And even when I open the lid to put a diaper in it, it's not like the smell is overwhelming.

Quote:
Mine don't. I rarely have poo leaks (much less than when we were using sposies) and only have pee leaks if I go too long between changes. (AND my theory on that is that while you can go longer between changes in sposies, it is ideal with either kind of diaper to change your LO every time they pee, except overnight of course)

Quote:
Not true - again, as long as you change frequently enough. And if you use pockets or fleece liners, then the baby's skin isn't next to wetness, just like in a sposie.

Quote:
If your child is in a wet diaper all day, you're obviously not changing him/her enough!

Quote:
I did in the beginning, but now I use cloth at night too. You may have some leaks until you find an overnight system that works for you, but we rarely get leaks at night anymore (and the few times we've since used sposies at night, they sometimes have leaked too).

When I first said I wanted to CD, my mom said "but you'll have to use pins and plastic pants!" When I showed her a snappi and the newer, nicer PUL covers, she was really impressed. She was even more impressed when we made a recycled wool soaker together or when she saw a pocket diaper.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York

User Tag List