Persistent diaper rash? Eczema? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 4mo DD has had a persistent diaper rash. It improves and then gets worse. I feel discouraged. The doctor says it is eczema, but it gets SO BAD. She was treated for yeast with minimal improvement. She is allergic to eggs, which I have cut completely out. Overall, it hasn't improved all that much. :-( I use ALL free and clear detergent in my HE front loading washer. Sanitary cycle with pre-wash, extra rinse, and stain cycle. She is often diaper free- I just keep her on my bed on a towel and change sheets often. When she is diapered, she is rarely in a cover. I can't really afford new CDing supplies or disposables. Any ideas? I feel like I'm too overwhelmed to figure out what I'm missing. Sure it is something obvious. Help??

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#2 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Have you tried an anti-fungal?
#3 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM

hydrocortisone ointment to zap it and keep using aquaphor or eucerin

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#4 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM

An oatmeal bath followed by slathering her in Eucrine keeps my dd's eczema at bay. I whiz the dry oatmeal in the food processor them put it in a section of old pantyhose before throwing it in the filling tub. DD and I soak in the tub for 20-30 min. I play with the oatmeal and squeeze the stuff out of it. We do this about once a week. I also put Eucrine on any especially dry places a few times a day.

Hope you find something that works.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#5 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try the oatmeal. I have tried antifungals, nystatin, and cortizone. It improves a bit and then worsens.

#6 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Hi,

Sorry you're struggling w/this! I would ditch the deterg for a week and see if the rash clears up. IME I can't ever rinse enough to get deterg out of cds esp in a front loader. I use 1/4 c of bac out in an overnight soak, rinse in cold the next morning, then follow this w/a very HOT wash cycle using salt and soapnuts.

My son has eczema and I have found that it flares up far less frequently if I wash his clothes in soapnut liquid....no residue even in small amts of water.

Hope this helps a little!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#7 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM

I would say there's probably another allergy that you haven't discovered. How did you discover that she's allergic to eggs? Have you tried taking dairy & soy out of your diet? Gluten is another eczema trigger for babes.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#8 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM

I would stop using CDs temporarily, wash them in HOT with 10-20 drops of grapefruit seed extract in the final rinse cycle (it kills all kinds of bacteria and yeast), and dry on HIGH heat. Then I'd wait to put her back in CDs until you're certain it's not a yeast rash.

Because if it's a yeast rash, then you're reinfecting her with the CDs, basically. Heat and GSE will kill off the yeast. But if she's got a yeast rash then she's reinfecting the dipes, which are in turn reinfecting her. So I'd lay off the CDs briefly.

Also make a solution of GSE and distilled water (scroll down this page for instructions). Apply to diaper area with every diaper change.

If you're wanting to use a yeast cream, get the clotrimazole-based kind. It works better than miconazole-based ones.

Continue to keep the area as dry as possible.

If after a few days it isn't improving then I would start to look at possible allergies. And would try the nasty Desitin (again, NOT with CDs -- it will ruin them) along with the GSE. It's a good barrier cream (albeit not enviro-friendly), but it wreaks havoc on CDs.

1. External -- soaps, detergents, lotions, diaper fabric, baby wipes, etc.
2. Internal -- food, medication, anything in your diet if you're still nursing

For the external, we've found the most innocuous products are the California Baby line. For detergent, we use Charlie's Soap liquid which we love.

The detergent you're using, All F&C, has brightening dyes that leave a purposeful residue on the diapers. If you're needing to stick with a mainstream brand, try Arm & Hammer Essentials Free (not the Mtn Rain -- it has added perfumes your LO could react to). It's got no additives (truly) and might work better for you. Ecos Free is another good one.

Here are two sites with lists -- you want NO or green dots across the board (and NO castille-based):

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Also, what are you using for a wipes solution?

If it's an internal allergy issue, I'd eliminate all dairy, soy, berries, and gluten from her diet. Then reintroduce ONE at a time. When you reintroduce dairy, start with yogurt, then cheese, then milk/cream. And give each food a few days to see if there are reactions to it, before introducing another food.

Do the same with your diet if you're nursing.

And keeping a food diary can be a BIG help. We discovered that certain foods aggravated our toddler's tendency towards yeast outbreaks. And also giving her high quality probiotics also helped reduce those outbreaks.

But there's a chance your LO's issues aren't yeast. Still, that would be the first thing I'd treat for again, just to rule it out entirely, since yeast is very difficult to kill off sometimes.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and hope you're able to find a solution.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#9 of 10 Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I would stop using CDs temporarily
I did switch to disposables for a 4 day weekend, and saw no difference. Is that not long enough? I've also gone days and days with no diaper at all, only using a prefold at night or if we had to go out. Again, so real difference.

Quote:
wash them in HOT with 10-20 drops of grapefruit seed extract in the final rinse cycle (it kills all kinds of bacteria and yeast), and dry on HIGH heat. Then I'd wait to put her back in CDs until you're certain it's not a yeast rash.
But I did not do this. When I wash in our front loader, I use the heaviest settings- heavy soil, pre-wash, sanitary and stain cycles, with an extra rinse at the end. That seems pretty extensive, no? And the water gets very hot. But I will look for GSE at the co-op today.

Quote:
Because if it's a yeast rash, then you're reinfecting her with the CDs, basically. Heat and GSE will kill off the yeast. But if she's got a yeast rash then she's reinfecting the dipes, which are in turn reinfecting her. So I'd lay off the CDs briefly.
This probably sounds bad, but I really, truly and honestly cannot afford disposables. I need to find a solution that works with my current stash.

Quote:
Also make a solution of GSE and distilled water (scroll down this page for instructions). Apply to diaper area with every diaper change.
Sounds like a plan...

Quote:
If you're wanting to use a yeast cream, get the clotrimazole-based kind. It works better than miconazole-based ones.
Yes, this is what I have used. (I also tried making a paste with nystop/ nystain powder.)

Thanks for the soap recommendations.

Quote:
Also, what are you using for a wipes solution?
I almost never use wipes. I use plain water, mostly, occasionally water with baby soap or ivory.

Quote:
If it's an internal allergy issue, I'd eliminate all dairy, soy, berries, and gluten from her diet. Then reintroduce ONE at a time. When you reintroduce dairy, start with yogurt, then cheese, then milk/cream. And give each food a few days to see if there are reactions to it, before introducing another food.
She exclusively breastfed still. I found out about eggs through a blood test at the pediatricians office. Because the rash had been going on so long, and I have allergies and sensitivities myself, I wanted to make sure I wasn't eating anything to make it worse. You know, like eating eggs for breakfast every morning. (Rolling my eyes at myself.) I eat a vegan diet, and I'm not sure I could do an elimination diet safely without medical supervision. I did two weeks gluten free, but added more eggs, so I guess that invalidates my ruling out gluten as the culprit. Still, a food diary isn't a bad idea.

Quote:
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and hope you're able to find a solution.
Thanks, I hope so too!

#10 of 10 Old 08-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurata View Post
Thank you for all the ideas!

But I did not do this. When I wash in our front loader, I use the heaviest settings- heavy soil, pre-wash, sanitary and stain cycles, with an extra rinse at the end. That seems pretty extensive, no? And the water gets very hot. But I will look for GSE at the co-op today.
The high heat helps kill the yeast. GSE will as well. The two together should really do it. But if the rash is yeast then your LO is reinfecting her diapers every time she wears them. Does that make sense? If there's yeast present on her, or on the diapers, then she's not going to get rid of the rash, if it's yeast-based.

If you cannot afford to do high heat dry (because you're already doing a hot wash), or you're concerned about it affecting your CDs, then add GSE to the final rinse cycle each time until rash has been gone a few days. This is all on the assumption it is a yeast rash. If it's not, the GSE won't hurt anything, and if there's bacteria involved, it will help remove it. But if it's a contact rash or a food allergy, none of this will help until you identify the cause, I'm afraid.

Quote:
This probably sounds bad, but I really, truly and honestly cannot afford disposables. I need to find a solution that works with my current stash.
Doesn't sound bad. Sounds realistic. Spend the $15 or whatever on the GSE and add it to the rinse cycle. That should help treat the CDs. Use it with a spray bottle and distilled water on her bottom at diaper change. That should help treat the rash -- again, if it's yeast. But you have to treat both consistently, if it's yeast.

Quote:
I almost never use wipes. I use plain water, mostly, occasionally water with baby soap or ivory.
I would stop adding any soap at all to it and stick with plain water or the distilled water/GSE mix for a while and see if that helps. No soap on that are at all though if you can help it.
Quote:

She exclusively breastfed still. I found out about eggs through a blood test at the pediatricians office. Because the rash had been going on so long, and I have allergies and sensitivities myself, I wanted to make sure I wasn't eating anything to make it worse. You know, like eating eggs for breakfast every morning. (Rolling my eyes at myself.) I eat a vegan diet, and I'm not sure I could do an elimination diet safely without medical supervision. I did two weeks gluten free, but added more eggs, so I guess that invalidates my ruling out gluten as the culprit. Still, a food diary isn't a bad idea.
I would definitely stop the eggs, and look to berries and gluten for potential issues.

And re-examine any detergent/soap/lotion contact that could be contributing. Guinevere's yeast issues were exacerbated by certain foods, and certain products. So we know to avoid all those things in a short time period (no bubble bath, strawberries AND orange juice all on the same day, etc.).

Best of luck to you, mama. I know how frustrating it is to deal with an ongoing problem that's elusive. It took us several months to realize our daughter was having yeast issues (made even more maddening because there was no rash -- just redness, so it didn't present "normally"), and we were all miserable during that time. The GSE was a lifesaver for us, really. And there are some other products we use, but that's been the main preventative. Still, if might be your LO's issues aren't yeast-related, and hopefully others here can help you out for treatment in that case.

Hang in there!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page