whats gone wrong - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
why whole stash stinks. they smell fine after a wash but as soon as either of them has 1 pee the amonia smell is overwhelming. its so nasty i have got them both in sposies till i figure this out.

i have stripped them by washing washing and washing some more.
i have a front loading machine and its a bit temprimental and will opnyl work on certain settings so i have to take what i can get.

i can do 1 of a few things
1) quit all together (do NOT want to do)
2) get laundry service while i get my stash sorted
3) laundry service and build up a new stash
4) laundry for 1 sposies for other (ds2 is 3 in november so im sure he will be out of nappies soon)

i dunno what to do. i am getting some charlies soap soon but i dunno how soon so i will try that but untill i can im pretty much stuck with no diapers.

Kiz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 AM

I had this problem too and tried many different detergents with my HE washer. I settled with plain old Tide HE or All Free & Clear HE and a scoop of oxiclean. I do a cold rinse, hot wash then the shortest warm/cold wash after it. It's been so much better since.

I sure hope you find a good solution.
#3 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Did you wash with detergent each time? Try doing a few HOT washes with no detergent and check for suds. If you don't have any and they still stink, you probably need to switch detergents and maybe use more to get them extra clean.

Some people will use bleach ONCE to kill the germs, then switch detergents. I think your diapers are salvageable.

#4 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

i contacted the nappy laundry lady but she is ending her laundry service next month so i am taking the service till she stops and using taht time to give the diapers a really really good clean.

i am going to give them a bleach wash rinse, then wash with detergent then just a few hot washed and cold rinses. then if thet doesnt work im gonna wait till i get my Charlie Soap from the co-op and try that.

im in UK so detergents are diffrent than in US i do know Persil is good so i might jsut get a box of that just for diapers.

Kiz
#5 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Try soaking overnight in unscented Oxyclean.

Then wash them 5 times on HOT with NO detergent.

I have gotten the most disgusting diapers ever almost like new with that trick!

(bought some used diapers, she refused to take any back, and they were wretched!!!)
#6 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM

try stripping with a squirt of dish soap on hot (we use dawn in the us....not sure if u can get that in the uk). repeat several rinses with a little spash of white vinegar. line drying in the sun might also help.

gl

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#7 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post
i
im in UK so detergents are diffrent than in US i do know Persil is good so i might jsut get a box of that just for diapers.
Kiz
We use Persil on our diapers, and we wash in 90 C (195 F) water. We've had no problems with smell. It might be worth a try. Persil is awfully expensive here in North America, but I really, really like it.

How hot does your washer get? What about taking the diapers to a laundromat and using a heavy duty machine.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#8 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We had similar problems too. I got rid of the stink initially by using a tiny bit of bleach in the wash, but I gotta admit, the stink came right back! What seems to be working for us now (fingers crossed) is a little scoop of borax, a little scoop of washing soda, and about half the amount of regular detergent I was using before. I do a cold rinse, hot wash with extra rinse and sometimes another short cold cycle with no detergent to make sure all the suds are out.

Obviously, YMMV, but I hope it helps... Good luck!
#9 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM

What kind of diapers are you using??

My suggestion, use more detergent.
#10 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

a combination of pockets and fitteds
#11 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Are you using microfiber inserts at all? Many people have stink issues with those.
#12 of 13 Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM

I have a FL too. Had the same issue. Only thing tat got rid of smell is boiling. I do have a combination of pockets and fitteds as well. Do not boil pockets, just inserts. It seems like a lot of work, but if I compare it to all trials I wasted m time on: bleach, dawn, baking soda, Bac-out; it is actually pretty fast. I just learnt that FL do no use enough water in rinse cycle, and my other issue is my laundry room is on second level and if I spin on high it seems a train is going thru my house, so I only spin on medium, which makes rinses les efficient. I just learn I need to boil everything from time to time and it takes care of it, and no rashes from chemicals.
On my FL I do cold rinse, sanitize wash (hottest water from tap), two extra rinses, and I know I should be better of with three extra rinses, but I rather boil from time to time to save energy.
#13 of 13 Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM

The smell is caused from a build up of residue from the detergent you're using, more than likely. Using more of the same detergent will worsen the stink, not make it better.

Bleach won't totally fix it either.

What happens is the residue (typically caused by oils, dyes, etc., even from some "free & clear" brands) builds up and creates a hospitable environment for bacteria. Diapers typically smell fine out of the wash, but once exposed to moisture (urine) the bacteria react and a very strong ammonia smell results.

It's similar to towels that smell musty after just a few uses.

Bleach will kill the bacteria but won't remove the environment that's encouraging bacteria to breed in the first place. Until you do that (get rid of the buildup) you will continue to have issues more than likely.

So follow the PP's instructions to strip diapers using Dawn, and run repeated rinses until water is clear and no bubbles. Before you start using your Charlie's, be sure to clean out your washing machine well -- the easiest way to do this is to get some Simple Green (auto dept, Target) and use about a tablespoon of SG with an old ratty towel on a hot wash. This will remove the residue on your washing machine. Otherwise the Charlie's will work to remove it while also cleaning your clothes, and the residue can get redeposited initially. You don't want that to happen if possible. The Charlie's will over time remove all the residue in your washer, but I'd use the SG personally, to get it all taken care of at once.

Be sure not to overload the washer when you strip your dipes.

Good luck, mama!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page