Costco's Kirkland Brand Environmentally Friendly Detergent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was at Costco today and noticed that they are now selling Kirkland Brand Environmentally Friendly Laundry Detergent. I didn't get too much of a chance to really look it over but wondering if anyone has used this on cloth diapers? Does it cause build up? I currently use Country Save which works great but it is really kind of expensive and since I have to use it for all my laundry, I would really prefer a less expensive option. Also, I have to make a special trip to buy Country Save which is also sort of a pain.

Thanks for any advice!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I just found an article online:

http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn.../200808/?pg=46

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#3 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM

I just purchased it and am going to give it a try.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Breasfeeding Counselor,

Doula, Certified Infant Massage Instructor, Birth Junkie

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#4 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Let us know how it goes...DH wants to try it, so we will probably get some at the turn of the month.
#5 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM

I've been using it for a few washes , and so far I'm relly liking it for the dipes!
#6 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasunflwr View Post
I just purchased it and am going to give it a try.
Does it list ingredients - can you share? I can't find info about it online anywhere...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I'm interested to see how it works. If those of you who are using it could remember to update us after you have been using it for a couple of weeks, that would be awesome. Or maybe I will just make another post in a few weeks asking for an update.

#8 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Kirkland Signature Environmentally Laundry Detergent
Ingredients: naturally derived cleaning agents (palm and/or coconut based surfactants), naturally dervived enzymes, natural anti-redeposition agent, natural lavender scent

I have to say that though the ingredients may be questionable, I am loving the way my clothing are coming clean, and they smell wonderful. Still reserving judgement on how well it works on the cds - giving it a few more washings before I decide, so far so good.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#9 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please keep us posted after a few more washes -- I'm very curious!
#10 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM

uh-oh! I'd watch out for the enzymes!!!

If you have sensitive babies and there is *any* soap left in the diaper, then enzymes will irritate (eat) at baby's skin when the baby wets the diaper. Just something to watch out for.

I learned the hard way when my first got terrible sores when i was just starting out. - Here i thought that since the enzymes were 'natural' they were good. Not so.
#11 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM

naturalthinker - thanks for the heads up.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#12 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this is the detergent i use and my diapers smell horrible- i am stripping right now- i used to use all free and clear and then bio kleen and never smelled anything like this

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#13 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM

Liz-hippymom - this is not the same detergent as the Wintree eco-friendly detergent sold at Costco. This is brand new and sold under the Kirkland name.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

#14 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was bummed out when I saw the enzymes. I don't want to chance it. Not sure if DD has sensitive skin because I don't use products on her but I know I do, which is why I have been so careful.

Oh well, just I'll just stick with the Country Save for now.

#15 of 20 Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 AM

We just bought a bottle of this... so far, nothing really to report. Only been using it for a few days. We have had some rash the last couple of days, but i *think* that is a combo of unusually HOT weather here and a lot of poop for a few days : )

We normally buy the Ecos stuff from costco and I was worried about that because dh thought it had softener in it. But on the diaper jungle website it got a really good rating, so we might go back to that after this bottle is gone.

I'll post back in a week or so and let you know!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#16 of 20 Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Subbing! I'm curious to see if it works.
#17 of 20 Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 PM

The Kirkland Brand has a very vague ingredient list which makes me very suspect. Also my brother bought it and tried it out and he totally broke out. I know it is because of the enzymes and what ever else is in there.
I use ECOS that is sold at Costco in the Bay area. It is so wonderful! It is totally ALL natural. They only use plants!! A lot of supposed eco friendly products are not really what they say. The Kirkland brand has enzymes and also doesn't have the ingredients on the back which I always look for.
My brother usually uses the ECOS but decided to just try the Kirkland brand. He took it back and will stay with the ECOS. The ECOS has a soy softener so you don't need softener or dryer sheets and it is great for sensitive skin. You also don't have to worry about your diapers not being absorbent because it is not like the normal softeners. I know my girlfriend uses it for her baby and her diapers are fine and her baby doesn't break out either.
This stuff is great! It really works! I love it!!
#18 of 20 Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM

The Kirkland Brand has a very vague ingredient list which makes me very suspect. Also my brother bought it and tried it out and he totally broke out. I know it is because of the enzymes and what ever else is in there.
I use ECOS that is sold at Costco in the Bay area. It is so wonderful! It is totally ALL natural. They only use plants!! A lot of supposed eco friendly products are not really what they say. The Kirkland brand has enzymes and also doesn't have the ingredients on the back which I always look for.
My brother usually uses the ECOS but decided to just try the Kirkland brand. He took it back and will stay with the ECOS. The ECOS has a soy softener so you don't need softener or dryer sheets and it is great for sensitive skin. You also don't have to worry about your diapers not being absorbent because it is not like the normal softeners. I know my girlfriend uses it for her baby and her diapers are fine and her baby doesn't break out either.
This stuff is great! It really works! I love it!![/QUOTE]
#19 of 20 Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Do not buy it. It made me and my son break out in a rash.
We loved ECOS, I am so mad at Costco for ditching it.
#20 of 20 Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

This is one of the worst detergents for humans period (or at least the "environmentally" friendly ones. This just means that it is easily bio-degradable. I used to use it for myself and my little baby Ria, and it didn't suit here, and then I did research on it and found the answer. i am usually opposed to industrialized mainstream products anyways, and I didn't want to use Dreft. I found that GreenShield Organic works better than the ECOS because the former is hypoallergenic. AS a single dad, I can't afford to be spending time with my little one seeing her uncomfortable, so I've learned the lesson of doing all my research beforehand. When it comes to her sometimes the wallet shrinks, but in the long run it will pay off. This week i tried 7th generation for baby, it seems to be working fine but its HE size is very very small, and sometimes my nanny uses to much. the GreenShield is around 12 dollars for 200 HE loads, and we both love it, and it actually cleans the clothes as well. 

I recommend using the fragrance free ones (and dropping in a sheet of some good quality sheets I really like the Mrs. Myers ones) its just the right amount of fragrance that doesn't irritate Ria, and a happy clean clothed baby, is a happy dad!

User Tag List