Did you CD your newborn in the hospital? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I was in the hosp for 4 days cause of a section and Aaron was a 36 weeker. The day we were supposed to go home they decided he needed to stay under the lights for jaindice. LUCKILY for me the nursery was full (blizzard babies) and they brought the isolette with the lights in my room and I was able to bf and change at will and they let me stay the night in my room. His first diaper was a pampers cause the section was emergency and all the cloth were in the room. After that it was cloth all the way. No stains either. Also the ped was glad cause with jaundice they need to watch the output more carefully. They weighed my dry prefold and his wet one. I only had 1 cover I used for the way home.
#32 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 10:35 AM

Sorry if this has been addressed already but...

Did/do YOU put on the first diaper or did/do the nurses? Don't they normally do that while you're getting all fixed up? I'm potentially having a c-section so I'm thinking I won't be the first to diaper him.
#33 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 12:14 PM

The nurses put Emilys first diaper on. It was a cloth fitted with aplix closures. No different than putting a disposable on, but cuter. It had little sheep all over it with red bows and bells.... really cute. They loved it! It was flannel.... I'm saving it in her keepsakes.

Just think... you can save the first diaper your baby ever wore! Most moms can't brag that one!!!

nak
#34 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 09:13 PM

when i get preg again, which better be soon, I will have to look around for a WAHM that makes a cute 'my first dipe' in a newborn'preemie size.....
#35 of 58 Old 10-30-2003, 12:03 AM

We cd Sarah (1 month old tomorrow) from the start. It was no problem at all and I was in the hospital for 4 days for a c-section and she stayed in the nursery at night too. The nurses were great about it. I called about a month ahead to the hospital to make sure it was OK. When I got the go ahead I wrote out a birth plan and included my cd instructions in it (I actually just finished this the day I went into labor, lol). I packed about 14 cpf and 4 covers with the intention of dh bringing dipes home to wash and bringing a fresh batch. We only did that once the whole 4 days I think. I did have a special fitted diaper for right after the birth but the nurse persuaded me not to use it since it would get gunky and they'd take her to wash in the nursery and put a sposie on her anyway (grr!). Ended up they didn't do this so I whipped that paper dipe off her as fast as I could! After that the nurses just put a note on her bassinet stating that the cloth dipes were baby's own and to put dirties in a bag in my room. When they changed her in the nursery they'd just put the dirty on top of the tray and I'd stick it in the bag. The first day I used cpf with velcro covers but the velcro was scratching her tummy so I switched to my beloved pins and nylon pull ons. No one had any problems with them. And our dipes certainly were the start of many conversations! Oh, and we had no problems with meconium stains on our dipes - they washed right out. HTH!

Jenny
Noah 6/3/99
Joshua 5/24/01
Sarah 9/30/03
#36 of 58 Old 10-30-2003, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spicey Momma
I would like to point at what so many mommas forget!!!! Newborns have 1 wet diaper at 1 day, 2 dipes and 2 days and then it begins to pick up between days 3 to 5. You could probley take 5 diaper to the hospital and be FINE!!!
This didn't apply to us in the least bit - just goes to show you each baby is different, eh? :LOL Let's see, I took a dozen all fleece fbs (won off ebay and saved from my 2nd child) - they were wee little newborns size . . . much smaller than the current smalls.

ANYWAY . . . I did change often. For one, I wanted the meconium off Kenny's bum as soon as he did it. Then, he was wet - did pee . . . and would pee on me as soon as he penis was exposed to cool air too.

Of course, he nursed non-stop as well.

We did cloth all the way. The nurses loved seeing what diaper color he'd have on next - we had lime green, purple, blue, white - too cute.

Just thought I'd throw another perspective on the minimal diaper usage. My mother actually took our waterproof tote home and washed them for us to bring back the next day with fresh diapers stuffed in them. A very good momma she is!
#37 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 PM

We did it! I was so happy to be able to CD and CW (cloth wipe?) in the hosital!

Seriously, I wouldn't have even thought it was possible if it wasn't for you ladies and your wonderful insight!

Thanks so much!
#38 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 11:37 PM

Oh wow!
#39 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 12:34 AM

o my, you girls just totally changed my mind and doomed my budget for this month.
i was gonna use sposies (at least the unbleached ones from the natural food store) for baby's first 2-3 months. i started cd'ing ds when he was 4 months old and don't have newborn size cd's. figured it would be too pricey to get cd's in a small size just for the few months until #2 (due in may) will fit in ds's old diapers.
but you girls are right, either we make a commitment to cd or we don't. i'll look around for small dipers tomorrow...i've had aio's for ds, but i think i wanna give fitted ones with covers a shot, they're cheaper, right? also seem to be of softer material, somebody correct me if i'm wrong...
#40 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 01:17 AM

congrats and WELCOME Aiden!!!!
#41 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 04:31 AM

Congratulations! I'm glad you used cloth.
#42 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 04:51 AM

YEAH!! I am so happy for you!! Welcome sweet baby!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#43 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
[ i wanna give fitted ones with covers a shot, they're cheaper, right? also seem to be of softer material, somebody correct me if i'm wrong... [/B]
You are right, much cheaper, depending on what you buy. You could also spend a heck of a lot more!:LOL
#44 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Fitteds are definitely less than AIOs, but prefolds and covers are the least expensive diapering option altogether.
#45 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 11:45 AM

We did not use cloth in the hospital. I had thought it through quite a bit and was scared of the meconium. I also just wanted to rest and didn't think it was big deal. I started using cloth at about day 4. I was sick of the disposables leaking all over. I might try cloth at the hospital for the next one now that I've been doing it for so long. I remember craving to put cloth on my little baby...and when I did the fuzzi bunz small were way too big (I had an 8 pounder). I used infant prefolds...but I'll have to pick up some preemies for the first few weeks, next time.
#46 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 01:12 PM

oops, supposed to be a new thread.
#47 of 58 Old 11-13-2003, 01:39 PM

We are having #3 in a new hospital (she will also be my first in cd's) and I am afraid that my favorite part of my stash (which I would love to take to the hospital) will dissapear in the nursery or something. Not that she is planning on being there a lot, but my other 2 went for an hour or so to have their check ups from the ped. What happens if they plan on changing her diaper then and my lovely FMBG get "misplaced"? I would be devastated. I will have some in my room with me (4 day c-section stay), but she wil probably wear "sposies" to the nursery until I can "bond" with a diaper baby sitter inteh nursery to watch out fo rmy stash.

But I am taking the big girls to "big sister class" at the hospital this evening and knowing that one of the things they will be teaching is diaper changing (at least it was the last time at the other hospital) I will ahve my most beautiful dipes there to put on the doll. Maybe I will get a convert or 2......that and my freshly knitted nb sized aran cap....maybe some extra Xmas $$ will be coming my way......
#48 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 12:40 AM

Just bumping this up since there seems to be so much interest in newborn CDing lately! (myself included!)
#49 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 12:55 AM

if you don't want to bring home dirty dipes, take a pack of tendercare or seventh generation with you to the hospital.
#50 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 01:00 AM

I used cloth at the hospital. We roomed in and apparently my midwife told the nurses a bit about me so they didn't even bring disposables into the room for us. We just filled up the dirty duds bag and brought them all home with us. (I stayed only one night despite the emergency c section - arghhh)

I do wish I had owned more newborn sized dipes though - if we are blessed with a next time, I will be more prepared.
#51 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaffNowCryLater
Its gonna be hard telling my SO to stalk the nurse to make sure he can put on the first diaper....he's one of those anti-cloth diaper people.
You don't really have to stalk the nurses.....Tell them that previous children (or family members if it's a first) have had bad allergic reactions to disposable diapers (true in my case)....they can't purposely put a disposable on a baby that they know can have an allergic reaction to it....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
#52 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 01:44 AM

I'm planning on bringing my cd's to the hospital, at least 24 (JIC- I've had long stays before) and I plan on leaving at least 1dz cpf's in easy access for dh if needed.

I bought some cheapy microfleece from Joann Fabrics to cut liners for the first few days (READ: Meconium days) that way I could just throw them away, and not have to worry about washing that out, or stains.

I paid 2yd and can probably make a million newborn liners from that yd. LOL
#53 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 01:58 AM

We brought our Kissaluvs 0s to the hospital and DH went home and washed them right before DS and I came home. We didn't have any trouble with the meconium staining. We had total control over diaper changes because in our hospital, DS never had to leave the room to go to a nursery. I was so happy to have our newborn's sensitive bum in nice cloth dipes, and we got to educate the hospital staff too
#54 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We were trying to have an UC birth- but when I decided that (after 39 hours) it may be time to try the hospital- DP went to take a shower as I got the stuff together we needed- Now, mind you I had washed and folded my dipes about a zillion time- lol.. so I go grab a bag and put a bunch of dipes in there a few snappies and head out to the hosiptal- needless to say Rainey did not have any clothes (from home) when she was born- I was so busy picking what dipes we should take- I FORGOT CLOTHES! :

And the nurses loved my dipes I felt like- if they see some really cute dipes they may be more apt to learning about cloth so I had to have my cutest ones

Also a OB nurse once told me that if I do have my baby at a hospital I should take my own dipes- there dipes are washed with very strong soap and it is hard on a babies skin- and really do you want the first dipe on your baby to be a hospital dipe? Also, the first poops are not bad at all- and the peel off if you get lucky :LOL And if they do stain, just put them in the sun- it will take it right off- we had no stains!

Congrats on the new little one- soon to be!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#55 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I was so busy picking what dipes we should take- I FORGOT CLOTHES!
Oh my gosh! LOL! That is too funny!
#56 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 10:36 AM

We did - we used Kissaluvs and some fleece liners I'd made. The meconium didn't stain at all. I was in the hospital about three days, and my monster-in-law took diapers home with her each night to wash (I was freaking out about this...I gave her explicit instructions about what to do, but I was sure she'd ignore me!).

The nurses initally thought we were nutbars for using cloth - but then they saw how cute and soft they were compared to sposies, and they all kept coming in to show off the baby with the "cute butt"!
#57 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I think I am the only one who's dd's meconium DID stain. :LOL
#58 of 58 Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 AM

We didn't use cloth diapers until Nick's cord fell off at 5 days old/ He is our first so we don't get any prefolds or know about snappis and I was scared of pins and everything was rubbing his cord. I was so happy when his cord fell off at 5 days old and we could start diapering!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page