Did you CD your newborn in the hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our new babe is due in about three months and we are planning a hospital birth. Ds was born in this same hospital and they do not use or offer cloth. (I started cd'ing ds at 3-4 mo. ) I am determined to totally CD this babe from birth and could really use any input any experienced mama's may have. I figure I could bring my stash with me to the hospital and just bring home a bag of dirty dipes but i really would like to avoid that. I am hoping to stay in the Hospital only one night but you never know, it could be longer. I really didn't mind until I found out we don't have a diaper service in my area so I would be doing the wash immediatly when I got home. So I could come home with all my dipes dirty, not a good thing, right? I just have to be over-prepared. All bases covered???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 AM

I did not cd ds until he was about 17 months. I'd personally not take my cd to the hospital. If you will only be there 24 hours, just use the hospitals diapers and begin cd'ing when you get home. Remember those first hospital diapers...that thick, black poop? Yuck!!!

JMO.
Teniece
Megan 8.10.99
Jacob 10.22.01
#3 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 01:27 AM

I agree. I remember that first poop.
#4 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:22 AM

HI,
Just thought I'd get another opinion in here. If you are probably only going to be in the hospital a day or two then you could bring them to the hospital. Just throw them in the wash when you get home. It would only be around 15 dipes, maybe less. The meconium dipes are not bad at all. Mine didn't even stain, and I know they didn't get washed until 2-3 days after he was born, maybe more. :LOL I just hate the idea of nasty chemical ridden plastic and paper on a brand new baby bum.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:45 AM

My ds's meconium was not bad at all. It actually looked like BF poop (I formula fed this one).
The only thing for you to watch out for is I think they put the disposable on the baby after the bath in the nursery. You would have to have your dh/SO go with the baby at all times and he would probably have to put the diaper on as you will be in recovery.
I am prg. also but I plan on using the sposies in the hospital but bring cloth with me in my diaper bag for the way home. I rather spend all my concentration on bonding with this baby and starting a healthy nursing relationship.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#6 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 03:02 AM

I would like to point at what so many mommas forget!!!! Newborns have 1 wet diaper at 1 day, 2 dipes and 2 days and then it begins to pick up between days 3 to 5. You could probley take 5 diaper to the hospital and be FINE!!! I did't plan to CD my DD in the hospital, but the sposies fell off her tiny little butt. So I put her in cloth. Meconium didn't stain my bleached PFs either.

Good luck and CONGRATS!
#7 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 AM

We brought tons of dipes with us, and then for the first 24 hours I was conpletely out of it due to narcotics given me to control pain of my nasty nasty tear. So he was in disposables since I didn't change a diaper for the first full day. Once the drugs wore off and I could actually think on went the cloth!
The meconium looks nasty and is hard to get off baby, but dissolved fine in the washer.
We were there for three days and there were 5 or 6 diapers to wash... that was it.
It wasn't as big a deal as I thought it was going to be.

Congrats!
#8 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 03:38 AM

We CD'd in the hospital, but that's because that's all our hospital had. We weren't planning on CDing, and knew NOTHING about it. DH learned how to fold a CPF and use a Prowrap before I did. :LOL

In your case, though, I'd bring them with you. It probably won't be ALL your dipes, and maybe a good friend will offer to give you a week or two of laundry service as a shower gift? Or maybe you could consider the price of a pack of sposies, and spend that extra $20 on a dozen extra CPFs, just so you have an extra day where you don't have to wash?

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#9 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spicey Momma
I would like to point at what so many mommas forget!!!! Newborns have 1 wet diaper at 1 day, 2 dipes and 2 days and then it begins to pick up between days 3 to 5. You could probley take 5 diaper to the hospital and be FINE!!! I did't plan to CD my DD in the hospital, but the sposies fell off her tiny little butt. So I put her in cloth. Meconium didn't stain my bleached PFs either.

Good luck and CONGRATS!
I forgot about that!! Yeah it really wouldn't be a big deal, only a few dipes at most!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#10 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Very good points my fellow mama's. DH thinks I'm crazy for thinking about making special arangements to cd in the hospital. I guess I can understand his view, but that doesn't mean I agree. I really love cd'ing and I am very excited to start from birth with this one. I am so glad I have the support here at MDC!
#11 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 10:48 AM

We used cloth at the hospital, although the very first diapers my babies wore were sposies (I was still being stitched up when the nurses diapered them). No one gave us a hard time about using cloth at all. The meconium was not a problem. It was funny because once we got them switched into cloth dipes (a few hours after they were born), I really felt like they were MY babies. For some reason, before that it hadn't really clicked yet (I had a not-so-nice cesearean birth). I loved their big cloth diaper butts. We only brought 24 diapers to the hospital, and that was enough for our two babies for three days. The nurses pointed out that with cloth it was much easier to tell when the diaper had been wet (and they wanted us to be writing it all down on a chart : ).

Happy birthing!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 11:01 AM

I'm planning on bringing cloth diapers to the hospital. My haspital gives you the pack of pamper or has to throw them AWAY!!! It's not sanitary to have all the babies getting diapers from the same package for some reason. I'll just talk to the dr. and the nurses and dh will slap that 1st diaper on Giles' tiny behind.

I remember meconium poo! Dh and dr. handled that diaper, both of them said it's like scraping road tar off a marshmellow! I laughed so hard watching them try to change dd. I was abotu to get out of bed and take but it was way too funny.
#13 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 AM

I remember another mama pointing this out and it sounded like a good idea to me:

Use prefolds during the first few meconium days. If the meconium does stain bad, who cares. Preemie prefolds are about $1 each. You could use them as doublers later or pocket diaper inserts. Or if they stain so bad that you don't want to use them as diapers, use them as dust rags

I didn't start cd until DS was around 4 mos But I plan on cding our next baby from the start. IMO newborns need cds more than older babies. Their skin is so new and tender that I couldn't bear to put a sposie on him/her after knowing what I know now about sposies. I only wish I had known sooner

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 11:42 AM

those of you who cd'd from the start what newborn dipes did you use?
#15 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 11:47 AM

I took my 20 prefolds to the hospital, and was there for 48 hours. However, dh went home to do laundry the second day. The main reason he did this was that I didn't pack enough underwear for myself (I didn't realize how heavy I would be bleeding). Meconium didn't stain (we used unbl. pf's, maybe that's why). We changed dd every 3 hours. Dh put her first diaper on, she's never been near a sposie, just the way I like it. We were the talk of the floor, with nurses coming in and saying, "oh, you're the parents using cloth" (with a smile). We were famous.
#16 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bellafinn
those of you who cd'd from the start what newborn dipes did you use?
We used preemie-sized unbleached CPFs. One of our babies was pretty tiny (6-4), but even his "big" brother (8-7) really needed the preemie size to keep from being swallowed up in the diaper. We used (Prorap) preemie and (Nikky/biobottoms) newborn sized wraps.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#17 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lexbeach
it was much easier to tell when the diaper had been wet

T Ya know! I have been working in the church nursery, and even though I haven't had a lot of CD babies when I used to babysit when I was younger, I could *not tell when the babes were wet! They should just use a cd!
#18 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 01:18 PM

We used cloth from the start and used Kissaluvs and Diaper babies bitty buns.

eta: the meconium did not stain at all but if you are concerned about that, use a fleece liner.
#19 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:23 PM

I cd'd my dd at the hospital- first baby- and it was great.
we used infant sized unblcpf (they were BIG) and NB bummis sww and NB prowraps covers. I only had 2 covers and it worked just fine- I washed them in the sink once.
My suggestion for the meconium is to cut up an old T shirt and use it as liners and throw them away at the hospital. That way you have dirty diapers to take home, but they are not that bad, even if they sit for a day or two. this worked REALLY well.
the only other thing is that we are using clth wipes I did not bring them to the hospital , i HATED the scrathcy disposables ones they gave use.
#20 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:33 PM

I used cloth in the hospital. I never let anybody put a paper diaper on Emily. I took my stash, and an extra wet bag. I put the diapers in the wet bag and took them home with me. Hubby dumped them in the washer when we got home, and washed them, per my instructions. He did a fabulous job, and served me dinner as well, while me and baby rested.

I didn't find it any trouble at all. We used cloth liners to avoid stained diapers from the muconium poops. It did stain one white flannel diaper, but the sun got the stain out after a few washes and sunnings. No big deal really.

Also... the nurses and doctors were so excited to see the cute cloth diapers that they kept looking at the diaper she was wearing and oooooing and ahhhhing. It was great!

Teri - nak and playing human couch
#21 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:50 PM

I am so amazed! I seriously thought that nobdy CD'd from the get go due to the icky tar stuff!

Now, how many of you were first time CDing moms? I've never actually put a CD on a baby so I'm just not sure I'll be very confident. Any thoughts?
#22 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 02:58 PM

OK I changed my mine now!(Posted earlier in this thread that I would use sposies in the hospiatl and thats it)
I think I will use cloth from the start in the hospital. Its gonna be hard telling my SO to stalk the nurse to make sure he can put on the first diaper....he's one of those anti-cloth diaper people. I'm gonna have to bring something simple like a Bumkins AIO or a fitted and cute cover.
I don't like my new baby's bum in a scratchy, chemical packed germ bomb.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#23 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 03:24 PM

I wasn't a first time CD mom, but I don't think it will be too hard. Bring easy things like AIOs and make sure you have NB sizes. It's just as easy to change a cloth diaper, you just have to save them and wash them instead of throwing them away.

You know, I honestly think it looks classier to have a cloth diaper on a baby than a paper one. I know it sounds snooty, but it's really my opinion. I think paper diapers look cheap.

I like my kids to always look all nice and well-groomed (besides when they are playing in the mud, etc.) so for me, having cloth in the hospital was about looks as well as health.

I guess I compare it to the family that eats on fine china or the family that uses paper plates for every meal.

eek.. I'm a bit stuck up, aren't I?

I'm really a nice person, I promise!
#24 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 04:10 PM

Damn it. One more thing to pack...
#25 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 07:43 PM

We just had our little ds two weeks ago. He has been cd'd from the get go. He was born at home but I wanted to say that the meconium didn't stain at all. I had read other mamas saying that here and had my doubts but it was true! :LOL

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#26 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 08:07 PM

we cloth diped from the start, first time...but i didnt think to bring any to the hospital: , but dh brought some the last day (I had a long, dellusional labor:LOL maybe it clouded my ability to pack properly) and we clothed her as we were getting packed and ready to go home, and from then on. we gave all those sposies from the pack, and the 'comp' pack in our formula loaded free diaper bag to my roomate. she looked like it was x-mas, and we were crazy

next time I will be better prepared, and will have that extra baby suitcase ready with all my wipes and dipes, as well as a few other handy things I know now i needed.
#27 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You know, I honestly think it looks classier to have a cloth diaper on a baby than a paper one. I know it sounds snooty, but it's really my opinion. I think paper diapers look cheap.
I have to agree, paper diapers look cheep and trashy. I know I'm a diaper snob and I bet most of us here are (and proud to say so!)
#28 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 10:30 PM

the hospital where I deliver uses cloth in the birth center (LDR) However they do require disposables in the NICU and Peds unit for infection control.
And the nurses right from the start put a cpf and wrap on once they wash baby up and do the weights and all that

Recently I was talking to a nurse acquaintance. I serve on a local health center board of directors and she is on the staff there. When she was inquiring about us cloth diapering, she mentioned that she used to work in our hospital's birth center. She told the story how 20 years ago she campaigned to switch the birth center to using cloth over disposables and went into great detail of how they called her a "stupid hippy" for wanting the birth center to use cloth. However, the point is, she did win the battle
And the best thing is, she hasnt been there for 15 years, and was SHOCKED to learn that they are STILL using cloth..

YAY!
#29 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 10:40 PM

I didn't CD until DD was 7 months old, but I plan to CD from day 1 with the next one (hopefully soon)...but anyway, I have read in several different places that even though meconium looks like it would stain, it doesn't at all. So, just thought I'd mention that....the place I read that (can't remember where) said that bf poo stains more than meconium.
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#30 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I just called a friend that works in the LDR at the hospital I'm birthing at AND she says that while they don't use cd's for dipes, they do have them and I could probably use them as dipes! I am so excited. Maybe I will start something there!

:LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page