please, please help me solve this rash mystery - pics added - UPDATE post #7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has had a diaper rash for over a month. We have tried EVERYTHING. 2 weeks ago we took him to the ped and got a script for antifungal cream b/c the ped thought it was yeast. It got a little better, then started to get worse again. I've treated all my dipes for yeast with GSE and he was in sposies for 2 weeks until yesterday. We took him back to the ped yesterday and he no longer thinks it is yeast. We've been told to use hydrocortisone but have only done so a handful of times and I'm not wild about continuing to use it. We need to get to the bottom of this.

I will try to take a pic later, but the rash is very fine dots like sandpaper in some places, solid red and burned looking in others. It extends across the area between his waistline and his genitals, from one thigh to the other. It is not in the folds of his thighs at all. His bum is not affected. It comes and goes during the day - worsens and improves and not for any reason that we can tell.

ETA: pic1 pic2

We have hard water. I use Biokleen, Calgon water softener, and BS and vinegar in various stages of my wash routine. This hasn't changed since he was born.

I CD'd DD as well, but only used green-edged prefolds with her in the beginning, then switched to the blue-edged. Back then I used All detergent. : (but it worked for us at the time) DS's stash was mostly new in the beginning - orange and yellow edged prefolds and new fitteds, etc. We used the green-edged prefolds on him occasionally, but not often.

Right about the same time this rash started I got out our blue-edged prefolds for him. When I found them I realized how perfumey they were with the All, even though I had stripped them before I put them into storage. I've done some mini-stripping since then and they aren't perfumey anymore, and I don't think they're holding on to suds.

This afternoon I had the revelation that maybe the blue-edged diapers are the problem. Maybe he is reacting to the All or something gross living in them (however, our hot water heater is up pretty high and they've all been treated with GSE). I thought of this partly because the rashy area in pic #2 is new as of today and makes the whole thing look even more like a contact rash. Anyway, the main hole in this theory is why did he not manage to totally improve during the 2 weeks in sposies?

I'm considering ordering a dozen new prefolds and only using those on him as a test, but is that a waste of money? If it was something about the detergent, wouldn't 2 weeks in sposies be enough time for the rash to completely clear?

Thanks for any insight - this is driving me crazy. Fortunately it doesn't seem to bother him (no itching or pain that I can tell) but I just want my baby's skin to be healed.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM

It is a lot of rash, did it disapear when using sposies? It maybe a mix of rash and yeast. Dr. Sears say for persisten rashes you could use hydrocortisone and antifungal together. The rash maybe food related, pee does have bi-products of food as well as it maybe internally affecting your LO. I would look into any diet changes when it started. Because if it did not go away when using sposies it may be very well related to food. All steroid creams just treat symptoms not the cause. But I would use them to get things under control. I would really try boiling prefolds, you seem to put lot of stuff on it so it may not be all rinsed out either and maybe the prefolds type you are using hold onto things. Other thing you may try is to give your LO a probiotic in case it is yeast rash.
I was fighting my LO rash for 2 months and finally I figured it was tomatoes that I was eating, rash disapeared forever once I stopped eating them. Now that strawberries are around maybe you started eating those? Some acidic fruits and veggies are sometimes very allergenic.
#3 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 PM

I think you are right to suspect the Detergent.

That really looks like a detergent burn rash to me.

I had a friend who's son broke out just like that and she used ALL F&C, then she switched to Sensiclean, still the same thing with that too.

Maybe All does stay in the fibers!!!! Yuck!!!

Apparently from what I've heard is that All has an enzyme to kill dust mites, and that is what the babies react to. Makes sense as that would be a pesticide, which are very very very toxic to babies.

I'd try boiling the diapers. And while you are busy getting the All out of them, order new prefolds right away!!!

You might be able to sell these as not all babies react like this.
#4 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM

how is his rash doing? We just got over thrush if you remember and G had a yeast rash on top of the oral thrush. That is just what her rash looked like. We did use the antifungal ointment-three times a day-put that on first and then sealed it in with Balmex. The diaper changes that I did not use the Nystatin I used the Motherlove Diaper Rash and Thrush-the same way-put it on then put the Balmex on top of that to seal it in. It took almost two weeks to go away-and it got worse before it got better. I didn't do sposies while she had the rash. I washed her dipes in the hottest water I could ( I turned the hot water heater all the way up) followed by a vinegar rinse with about 10 drops of GSE. I also aired her out as often as I could and changed her a million times a day. She is back to normal now-I have not had to use any creams in a few days and is doing fine. Stick with it-yeast can take a while to clear up.
#5 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we put him back in disposables and started with the hydrocortisone every 12 hrs with Aquaphor on top and Aquaphor at other changes to act as a barrier in case he is also reacting to something in the disposables. The rash is much better, less red and angry looking and appears to be starting to heal.

I had one more revelation... I have been wondering this whole time why it was worse on his right... well, he usually points to the right and a lot of times (in cloth) the dipe would be wet on the right but not on the left. I really think there is something about the urine or urine + cloth that is causing this. He does seem to have very sensitive skin, moreso than DD did anyway.

P'seed, thanks for posting... on Tues the ped checked his mouth and saw no spots, I'm not having any signs of thrush, plus the 10 days or so of antifungal cream 2x per day didn't clear this up. And then it definitely got worse when we put him back in DD's old prefolds (which had been treated w/ GSE, dried on high heat until dry and then dried AGAIN). I do think I'm going to get a probiotic for DS just in case - it won't hurt anything. I'm glad your rash issues are gone!!

#6 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh man... You have got to stop with the Boikleen. BioKleen has a ton of enzymes in it - enzymes are EVIL with cloth diapering - They feed on organic material and are activated by moisture (you know, like the pee and sweat in your DS's diaper?) They are literally chomping on your man's tush. If you are wondering why you've been able to use it in the past with no problem, diet is likely the cause. BF babies are sometimes fine with enzymes, but once solids are introduced, the enzymes go crazy.
#7 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

nigellas - we use the Biokleen laundry liquid (no enzymes), not the Bac-Out. Also, my DS is only 4 mos and still EBF, so solids aren't a factor (but I am starting to dread when we start him on them!).

We kept up with the hydrocortisone every 12 hours through yesterday morning. He was not red at all anymore. You could still faintly see where the skin had been irritated, but no redness. He looked so much better. So last night we decided to skip the hydrocortisone. He was OK first thing in the morning but at a mid-morning diaper change he was red again in the same places.

He has still been in disposables this whole time. So does this prove it's actually not my CDs causing a problem? I'm still stripping my dipes, which I think needs to be done anyway, but now I'm leaning more towards food allergies. I'm already off dairy (caused spitting up) and soy (caused the red ring on the bum). I guess I will go post in the allergy forum, but if anyone has any ideas based on this latest I'd appreciate it!

#8 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post
Oh man... You have got to stop with the Boikleen. BioKleen has a ton of enzymes in it - enzymes are EVIL with cloth diapering - They feed on organic material and are activated by moisture (you know, like the pee and sweat in your DS's diaper?) They are literally chomping on your man's tush. If you are wondering why you've been able to use it in the past with no problem, diet is likely the cause. BF babies are sometimes fine with enzymes, but once solids are introduced, the enzymes go crazy.
I've heard a lot of great stories about BIOKLEEN bac out...but you have to use it in the pre-soak...wash with really hot water, and be sure to rinse. Otherwise, it can cause severe rash. A lot of people LOVE it...you just have to be careful.

I have heard great things about Allens Naturally Detergent.....
#9 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM

looks like contact dermatits to me. ds had it due to pampers. it was only where the diaper touched, it takes a while to clear. talk to your ped and see if they want to do any allergy testing, with ds we just put some hydrocortizone on the area and switched to cloth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_dermatitis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/con...atitis/DS00985
#10 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Poor baby! My son has had the same recurring rash. I have determined that his is a combo of 2 things - first, a contact rash from detergent residue, second, a persistent yeast rash. You mentioned that your ped saw no spots in your DS's mouth, my DS has had the yeast rash all over his privates and never had the spots in his mouth. Since he is nursing, you should take a probiotic every day to help him. I also ended up using several creams on my son. To avoid ruining my diapers I used a flat diaper against DS's skin and then wash the flats in the sink, scrubbing w/Dawn and a toothbrush to get the creams out. The creams I used were an OTC Miconazole (for yeast) and Bordreaux Butt Paste. I mix equal parts of these and apply liberally. Typically DS's rash goes away within a day of starting this.

As for the diapers... I finally got mine free of excess detergent by rinsing them about 6 times extra. It pretty much took all day to do. Also, since this may be a combo of yeast as well, I'd wash them in vinegar one time too. GL,

Beth
#11 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Food allergy: look into peanuts, all acidic foods: oranges, tomatoes, lemon, then strewbarries, melons, chocolate and probably much more, these are the ones that I can think off.
Also what wipes are you using? And what baby wash and shampoo, maybe a residue from them in wet, sweaty area is causing it. If hydrocortise was helping it is probably an allergic reaction to something.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page