what brand of laundry detergent do you use for cloth diapers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you buy the Country Save in Canada?

I've been using Soapnuts, but I think we need a new machine, because it's not doing much for clothing or diapers. I got the Claudia's just to see if there's a difference in the smell of the diapers and there is, but it's not practical for continued using.

Wonder Wash (Charlie's) is also expensive in Canada. It's double the US price.

What other natural detergents are available in Canada?

Mom to 4 Boys
#32 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 AM

I've used Sun and Earth (which has an orange scent) and the Trader Joes which is lavender. I tend to switch back and forth from one to the other.

I also use a squirt of bac out and do an occasional extra rinse with a cup of vinegar to get soap buildup out. I don't worry about stains, it's too much trouble.
#33 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM

I was using Charlie's for about 9 months but after about 6 months, things were just different (dipes weren't clean and there was stink, especially when DS peed). Also, DS started getting rashes. They looked different from teething rashes.

So now I've been using Simply Clean (simplycleanok.com), which is homemade by a CDing mom whose kid has very sensitive skin.

We just moved and have a new washer, an HE front loader, and I wash the dipes three times! Cold rinse with a tad of Bac-Out, hot wash with 1/2 tablespoon Simply Clean, and then I sniff an insert. Every time I've done another hot wash. I'd love to streamline this.

BTW, I had hard water at old place and new house.

Loving DH :, chasing DS (3/08) and getting to know sweet DD (born 3/10 at home).
#34 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 PM

So, I see that a lot of you are using either Purex Free and Clear or Country Save. These seem to be pretty popular. Couple of questions...
1. I have tried to use All Free and Clear and Cheer Free and Clear for our clothes in the past. They both make my husband break out. His mom told me she's never been able to wash his clothes with anything made by All or Cheer. Is Purex made the same way as All and Cheer? If so, we'd have issues with him so that wouldn't work for us.

2. Where do you buy Country Save?? The only place I can find it has been online at Amazon. But to buy it from Amazon, the only way to get it is to buy in bulk. It's an order of 4 packages for $50. Not bad when I break it down per wash, but I'd rather just buy one and try it out before spending $50 on 4 packages of it. Is there anywhere else online I can get it? It's not sold locally.

I thought about making my own detergent and found a pretty common recipe calling for borax, washing soda, and fels naptha soap. But I read that soap shouldn't be used on cloth diapers because of build-up on the dipes... I have a friend who just uses borax, washing soda, and an oxy-cleaner (Sun, I think?). Anyone had any luck with this?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#35 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 PM

we use Tide Original Powder. I think the diaper sprayer is what keeps our dipes from being stained.
#36 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Anyone ever use Arm & Hammer's essential line detergent???

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#37 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Oh, and check this out...

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#38 of 45 Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abemom2 View Post
Where do you buy the Country Save in Canada?

I've been using Soapnuts, but I think we need a new machine, because it's not doing much for clothing or diapers. I got the Claudia's just to see if there's a difference in the smell of the diapers and there is, but it's not practical for continued using.

Wonder Wash (Charlie's) is also expensive in Canada. It's double the US price.

What other natural detergents are available in Canada?
Can you just order from a US store? There are several of us that free/cheap ship to our Canadian cloth diapering mamas.
#39 of 45 Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got my diaper order from parentingbynature.com and she included a little list of detergents that are findable in Canada:
  • Nature Clean
  • Claudia's Choice
  • BioVert
  • Seventh Generation Declicate Care
  • Wonder Wash

That said, I could only find Nature Clean in our small town ... I'll keep my eye out for the others. I'm leaning toward baking soda and vinegar ... detergent is darn expensive!!!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#40 of 45 Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 PM

With the exchange rates, and shipping/customs it's not really worth buying from the good old US anymore.

Many detergents are available here, but with shipping it's not worth it.

1. Nellie's is in many places - WAHM, and more carry them.

2. http://www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.c...erLaundry.html has a whole bunch.

3. http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...0&CountIndex=5 Also has a big variety.

I'm trying to figure out who's cheapest with the shipping. Locally I have Claudia's and Nature's Clean.

Mom to 4 Boys
#41 of 45 Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyZoo View Post
Regular purex. Have seen too many articles on avoiding the F&Cs. No issues yet.
Why avoid free and clear???

#42 of 45 Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 AM

We use Planet detergent. I think its available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I don't really remember where we got it in the US but if you order from cottonbabies.com they ship orders over $75 for free.

I love this detergent. We also use baking soda and vinegar in our loads. The sun and a little bit of lemon juice is what gets rid of our stains.
#43 of 45 Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 AM

Seventh Gen. DS is PL'ing now though.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#44 of 45 Old 12-20-2008, 01:35 PM

After having tons of stink issues I went to diaperswappers and the consensus there was Tide regular powdered, and up to the 1 on the scoop. It's been 3 months and never had stink issues or repelling or anything. It's helped me keep diapering. Charlies, Country Save, Mountain Green, and 2 WAHM brands did nothing for us. So i'm happy with it!
#45 of 45 Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 PM

I use Tide with Bleach and I use 1 scoop on line 1 and haven't had any problems with repelling, stink, or stains. I don't think any of those natural detergents work because they have nothing in them to get anything sufficiently clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page