Do typo's/spelling errors bug you enough not to buy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by alaskanteach
I didn't even think of that! You are absolutely right, though, now that I think about it. I once ordered a "lot" from a misspelled auction, and then I waited and waited for the package. When it came the house number was not written correctly. 1841 was 1481. The postman asked me if I thought the package was mine... Thank goodness he asked!
This is what turns me off of sites with many misspelled words. I would be afraid I would never get my order, or I would get someone elses order, or a mix of mine and someone elses. If it is just a word here or there, then I'll let it go, but if there are alot I'll just walk away. If it looks like someone didn't double check their website, then I'll assume they won't double check my order.

I'm also not a confrontational person, so I wouldn't let someone know they had mistakes, and I wouldn't want someone letting me know I did either unless I asked for their opinion first.

Cute spellings bug me also, but I'm sure there are things I do that bug others to, like I always say anyways, so I just live with it.

Somethings I also chaulk up to slang, like the Texans who are "fixin to go out". Fixin just isn't something you hear in MN and I think its funny, but I'm sure if your from TX you don't, but you think its funny us Minnesotans say "sure you betcha". Grammer like that I just ignore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sharonal
Miss Marnie... did you know that "typos" doesn't have an apostrophe?
Bang....thud....smack ya got me! LOL I am SO sure it isn't the first time, however the typos I was seeing and spelling errors are MUCH more obvious than grammar mistakes or a misplaced '
#63 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 PM

I don't think I've ever not bought something I planned to buy just because of typos/errors. If something is so poorly written that I can't understand it, I close the window, so that could be a lost sale.

I did get a free keychain as thanks for pointing out a site error on a new WAHM site when I bought my very first prefolds 5 years ago.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#64 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chaos_pie
edited: crap ...I made a typo....I am going to stop posting because I am paranoid now...
I am doing the same things. Double and triple checking and making me VERY paranoid to post...
#65 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UlrikeDG
It's "Maybe even easier than if it were all spelled properly."

Sorry. That one drives me freakin' batty! DH did it for a while. DH, who was in AP English with me TWICE in high school (once for the lit course, once for the lang/comp course) didn't know the difference between thAn and thEn! Grrrr!

Better THAN...
Greater THAN...
Less THAN...

If this, THEN that...
We did this, THEN we did that...

Then answers when. Than compares two things.
Well than maybe I should stay clear of you! LOL! :LOL
#66 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 07:18 PM

I have a very bad habit of typing super fast and my fingers can't always keep up with my brain, so I often make errors. You'd never know that I minored in English in college, LOL! I think fo the most part, my site mistakes are limited to typos and not grammar/punctuation/usage errors, and I can live with that.

As for the whole "offending people" because of the z/s thing, seriously, I think we all need to lighten up. If people are going to get hurt and offended by someone else not liking the way the choose to spell a word?!?! What sort of crazy political correctness are we coming to? It's not like anyone said that so-and-so who spells their business name with a z is a terrible, stupid person because of it. : I think we all need to lighten up a bit.

Okay, last thing In regards to pics of different ethnicities, this has come up often on a business list I'm on, and the consensus is that it's not cost effective for the small WAHM business to go out and have professional photography done of their products with models of different ethnicities. Most WAHMs I know (myself included) use our own kids as our models. Believe me, I've tried to get photos of a variety of kids in my products, but it's difficult, and I think that most people understand that when they go to a WAHM site they aren't dealing with a huge company with the corresponding huge budget for photo shoots and such.
#67 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am doing the same things. Double and triple checking and making me VERY paranoid to post...
Hey now ladies I NEVER mentioned posts, I think EVERYONE knows we all post quickly between diaper changes and NAK sessions, and that a typo in a post is VERY different than a typo where your trying to sell something to someone. Post typos (no ' ) never bug me at all, matter of fact I just skip right over them
#68 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 09:41 PM

You're right. And there *is* a big difference between posting on a discussion list and having a business.

I also do thank you for not mentioning a particular wahm and pointing out typos. You kept it professional, and that is somthing that I appreciate.

And I do hope that you will email me and let me know if you ever notice a typo, spelling error, etc. on my business site.

Teri - nak
#69 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tree Huggin Hippie
You're right. And there *is* a big difference between posting on a discussion list and having a business.

I also do thank you for not mentioning a particular wahm and pointing out typos. You kept it professional, and that is somthing that I appreciate.

And I do hope that you will email me and let me know if you ever notice a typo, spelling error, etc. on my business site.
I would never mention the WAHM or in this case it was WAHMs, I would be mortified if someone did that to me, and I wouldn't do it to others.

And if it were your site I would e-mail you I promise. I think general consensus is that a polite helpful e-mail is the best thing to do. But I did get people POSTING today now didn't I? Shocked even me
#70 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 PM

Quote:
[i]Okay, last thing In regards to pics of different ethnicities, this has come up often on a business list I'm on, and the consensus is that it's not cost effective for the small WAHM business to go out and have professional photography done of their products with models of different ethnicities. Most WAHMs I know (myself included) use our own kids as our models. Believe me, I've tried to get photos of a variety of kids in my products, but it's difficult, and I think that most people understand that when they go to a WAHM site they aren't dealing with a huge company with the corresponding huge budget for photo shoots and such. [/B]
I wasn't suggesting having a professional photoshoot done. All I was asking was that more wahm websites show pictures of kids of different ethnicities wearing cloth! I was impressed with the site that a previous poster owns that shows kids of different ethnicities and to be quite frank, I think that is the only one I have seen so far and I have a Large collection of prefolds, fitteds, and AIOs. I think that the fact that it is a rarity to see is unfortunate. I have taken pictures of my little guy in a fitted and it is getting developed, so I am doing my part in fixing this problem, I am just surprised that cding has been around as long as it has, and yet I still see this difference between the number of cded caucasian babies compared to any other. I can't imagine that there is a large difference in the ethnicities of cd consumers. Most countries around the world cd their children, so why aren't those consumers being reached? Maybe cds are not being advertised in that direction. I seem to remember a time when Pepsi commercials were geared toward a "global" audience while CocaCola was doing the "american as apple pie" routine... I guess that is more my point. Right now I feel that I am the only mom of an Asian kid in cds and I know that it can't possibly be true. I am not trying to offend anyone, and I was surprised at this post. I did not expect that putting a photo on a website required a lot of money to do- my sister can do it with just a digital camera, but I don't own a wahm diaper shop, so I guess those of you that do would know more about that than I.
#71 of 93 Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 PM

Sorry, I didn't have time to read all previous discussion but I would say that I probably wouldn't even notice an occasional typo.

I would be turned off by an unknown WAHM site that is overall hard to navigate or had bad photos, but for a known WAHM I would probably overlook even that as long as I could find my product.

I guess I'm not really picky about such things
#72 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 AM

About ethnic photos of babies...

I think the point that you are missing is that we can't just get pics of ethnic babies wearing cloth. People have to send them to us. I don't have a Asain child, and I can't search the net and "lift" a photo of some moms kid wearing a cloth diaper without the moms permission. I can only use photos for my business that are taken by me or purchased by me.

So... unless my customers send me photos to post on the site, I can only use photos of my own children.

So, maybe people with ethnic children can make a point to send photos? I don't know what the solution to that would be.

I only use photos of my own child to avoid any problems that could arise from me using photos of other peoples children.

I hope that makes sense!

We do not just market to white people. I advertise on MDC!!!!! I think we are getting a variety of ethnicities, we just don't have pics of the children who wear our diapers.

nak - teri
#73 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Kam

Oh, man, yes! Habitual misspellings and poor grammar on business sites drive me crazy, and I do worry a little about how the WAHM will be able to do business. For the most part, I just feel sorry that the woman missed so much of her education, or was given such a lousy one. Then I buy the diapers, just as I would have if there were no errors at all.

I will say, however, that the ad that Motherease runs every issue of Mothering makes me absolutely INSANE! I swear, every word in that ad is weird or wrong or both. Doesn't it drive anyone else nuts? It took me a few issues just to figure out what their banner means! Every other month I tell myself that I am going to write a long letter to them explaining what's wrong and suggesting something better, but then I wonder, if they are still selling diapers, who cares? Me, obviously! :LOL

Has anyone else gotten completely caught up in the thread on common grammatical errors in Talk Amongst Ourselves? I LOVE that thread. :

warmly,
Kam, mamamamama! to Meg
#74 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:23 AM

Whew! This is a passionate topic! I have to admit I was talking to my dh & showing him a site I found the other day that was just ... I dunno, off? I was reading some of the descriptions and not only were words misspelled, they were missing all together. My dh pointed out that English might be the person's 2nd language, which would explain the disjointed wording.

If the workmanship had been I probably still would have bought, but it wasn't (so I didn't).

I also emailed a wahm once & very politely let her know I'd noticed something -- she was very gracious. In the other case, though...well, it was pretty obvious this person talked like this as well. In that situation, I decided that no good would come of my trying to correct her.

I do get irked & worry when I see common diaper words misspelled -- like all the different hemps mixed up, or hemp & polyester fleece. It makes me think that they don't know what they're doing. KWIM?

Now everyone promise me you won't check this for errors, 'cause I know there are several.
#75 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:23 AM

Location: In the middle of Oklahoma - Where the sun shines straight down!
Well, you guys, I read EVERY word of ALL the preceding posts. Sure I did. Well, almost every word.

Anyway, here is some food for thought:

LIFE RULE No. 1: Don't sweat the small stuff!!

LIFE RULE No. 2: It's all small stuff!!

#76 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam
I will say, however, that the ad that Motherease runs every issue of Mothering makes me absolutely INSANE! I swear, every word in that ad is weird or wrong or both. Doesn't it drive anyone else nuts? It took me a few issues just to figure out what their banner means! Every other month I tell myself that I am going to write a long letter to them explaining what's wrong and suggesting something better

and the picture annoys me too LOL

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#77 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 01:01 AM

I just quickly read though all your posts & I have to say this.....
I just scored an amazing AIO diaper from someone who uses a "Z" instead of an "S" & had a word spelled wrong in the description on her website
She makes the very best diapers I have ever owned so I will be getting some awesome fluffy mail!
#78 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Some words that I am pretty sure are spelt differently in Canada than in the US...

Centre vs Center
Cheque vs Check
Catalogue vs Catalog
Honour, colour, flavour etc vs honor, color, flavor

But on a side note...I have always spelled Organise with an s...and all the other words that go along with that. I am pretty sure that both are considered equally correct in Canada since I am able to have a document spell-checked using Canadian English and have neither Organize nor Organise come up. I was always taught in school that either is acceptable as long as you are consistent.

Websters online give the following definition for the word organise:
organise
v : bring order and organization to; "Can you help me organize my files?" [syn: organize, coordinate]

This would seem to indicate that either is acceptable. But then again…I could be wrong.

In answer to the original question, if I can follow the text without getting a headache then no it wouldn’t bother me enough to not purchase if that was my original intent.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#79 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugga
Well, you guys, I read EVERY word of ALL the preceding posts. Sure I did. Well, almost every word.

Bugga~You are a very wise woman!!! I agree....

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#80 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stacey31
I just quickly read though all your posts & I have to say this.....
I just scored an amazing AIO diaper from someone who uses a "Z" instead of an "S" & had a word spelled wrong in the description on her website
She makes the very best diapers I have ever owned so I will be getting some awesome fluffy mail!
This is one issue I didn't bring up, but I agree I have heard great things about a lot of thoze WAHMs and while I wouldn't personally choose spelling like that in a business or daily use, it doesn't bug me. I think everything is going to bug SOMEONE at some point KWIM? I am sure there are people out there that HATE it when you spell words with IE at the end instead of Y, which is why I keep getting mail for Marny who is this lady and why am I getting her mail? (whoa it is getting late....time for bed)
#81 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugga

Obviously something I am going to have to work on! thanks
#82 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamingMama
Well than maybe I should stay clear of you! LOL! :LOL

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#83 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam
Oh, man, yes! Habitual misspellings and poor grammar on business sites drive me crazy, and I do worry a little about how the WAHM will be able to do business. For the most part, I just feel sorry that the woman missed so much of her education, or was given such a lousy one. Then I buy the diapers, just as I would have if there were no errors at all.

I'm glad you are so forgiving , but keep in mind NOT everyone that makes these kind of errors had a poor education. I used to be the cracker pot of propper grammar when an illness left me with about 15% or so brain damage, now where I once was an over acheiver am now a putz, but on the possitive side, where I was lacking, I seem to be better. I don't wish for people to feel "sorry" for me, rather just accept me with my imperfection as I try to with others.

I told myself not to come back to this thread...but like a moth to the flame...

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#84 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 10:22 AM

And the same for misspellings meaning they would mess your order up. I think that is bogus too. Usually misspellings mean a busy mom trying her best to be super mom, wife, teacher, housecleaner, and working at home. It does not always mean they are poorly educated nor are they unable to read. Yes there may be a few of them like that but I think it is really unfair to classify some common grammer errors and misspellings as meaning they are uneducated, slow, or otherwise unable to handle their CHOOSEN profession....
#85 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Resse!!

First off, I have only known you a short while, and I think, illness or not, 85% or 100% your a pretty wonderful person.

Just so ya know I certainly was NOT talking about grammar mistakes, punctuation problems, or hard and fast English language rules. Frankly I probably wouldn't recognize them even if I saw them done wrong. While I consider myself a fairly intelligent person I do not have a college education and English frankly bored me to death. However with a mother that is an English major and a veteran teacher I had English drilled into my head all my life, she always taught me that the way you speak and write reflects upon how people view you, and if you want to be taken seriously you should know how to properly write and speak.

Honestly if you hadn't spoken up about your illness I never would have guessed or assumed there had been any problem in your past.

I don't think someone that has these errors is stupid, or uneducated even, I know people with Dr. in front of their name that can't spell or proof-read worth beans. And that is what it boils down to I guess, I don't spell all that well (never have) but I take the time to check my work. However I do understand that a lot of people don't have time to do this, I make it a priority because it bugs me so much.

I am sorry it does bug me, it wasn't my intention to hurt anyone or get anyone mad at each other, I just wanted to know if I am a freak for caring. I guess I might be, but I am surrounded by other freaks (in a totally GOOD way) too. That makes me feel better and points out something I need to work on in my personality. I don't want my kids fretting over their words, as long as they keep talking right?
#86 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 11:40 AM

Thanks Marnie, I also have to learn to not get frustrated or feel shame with myself. I too was raised by a strict English buff, so much so I got my mouth washed out with soap for improper language usage...to this day I have to concentrate on saying the word "ain't" lol so it's rarely used by me and my children don't use it, which surprises me because dh does (and I cringe).

I know you didn't mean ill with this thread, it's just a touchy spot for me. There have been similar threads in the past as well as threads that poke fun at an auction where someone has horrible grammar/spelling, and it just seems that somewhere along the line someone or many slip over the line and say things that they may not realize can be or are hurtful and I don't think that's the intent, just not thought of at the time. I tend to take forever and a day with some things, because I do spell check and recheck and recheck my grammar and even then I miss things. "I" can take others poking fun at me, but I'm a hard @$$ "B" There are others that aren't as toughed that can truely be hurt.

Anyway, I know the ladies here have no ill intent and don't wish to hurt anyones feelings....neeeeed to quit this thread before it drives me batty.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#87 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I did not expect that putting a photo on a website required a lot of money to do- my sister can do it with just a digital camera
True, putting a pic up in and of itself doesn't cost a lot of money (time, eys, in editing and such, LOL!, but not money) but that's only ifyou have the pic to put up in the first place. Like Teri said (very well put, Teri!!) we WAHMs can only use the pics we take ourselves or the pics that are sent to us. I routinely ask mams to send me pics of their kids in my products, but I rarely get them. I've asked local friends if I can take pics of thier kids, but many aren't keen on the idea of pictures of their kids on the internet, so they've declined. So, I'm left with pics of my own kids, LOL.

All I was trying to say was that it is not intentional on the part of WAHMs to exclude a variety of races and ethnicities. Please don't think badly of us because we've only got white children on our sites-if we had other options available, I think the vast majority would be happy to show a diverse population on our sites
#88 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 AM

I'm going to have to agree with the OP here. Spelling and gramatical errors on business websites drive me insane. I am well aware of the fact that I'm an anal freak-- I edit my journal, and I'm the only one who reads it. :LOL If a website is full of spelling and gramatical errors, I close it and never visit it again. I'm sure I've missed out on lots of great things, but I'm poor and I'd rather spend my money on a site with decent grammar (most of the time... I recently purchased something where the adorable factor totally won out over my instincts :LOL).

I absolutely love to edit things. It's a hobby of mine. I used to edit papers for fun in high school and college. My brother is a copy editor (even though he can't spell; he still calls home sometimes! :LOL) so I guess it's a family thing. At any rate, if you really want someone to go over your website periodically and check for typos, I would be very happy to do it for diaper covers (even imperfect ones!). Heck, that's my dream job. :LOL I don't have a degree in English or anything like that, but I did take 2 AP English courses in high school, and my SAT scores were high enough that I wasn't required to take any English in college. I'm just a nerd who feels like her brain is going to waste reading nothing more complicated than "The Very Quiet Cricket". :LOL

As for more ethnic babies in cloth diapers... well, my son photographs like a white baby, so I'm not much help to you there. Maybe my next one will be darker or have curls. :LOL I think that if you specifically put requests on your websites (or even here) more mothers of color (or mothers with children of color) would be thrilled to send you pictures. Maybe you could offer a discount or small gift to them, if you really want the pictures? I love seeing multiracial babies on the web. . It's too bad my nieces are both potty trained, they're adorable and very 'ethnic'. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#89 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 12:02 PM

Wow, did this thread ever strike a chord.

I guess I'll weigh in, too ... since my perspective might apply here. I'm a web editor, and journalist by training, so it's a natural habit for me to notice typos, etc.

Typos are *everywhere,* even on the most professional of sites (including the one I work on, and occasionally they're my fault!). I occasionally even see typos on the NY Times. Now, if typos and spelling and grammatical errors can occur on large sites like that, where there are dozens of copy editors, of course they're going to occur on sites run by a solitary WAHM -- who probably doesn't want/need to shell out $$ for an editor.

My mantra is that everyone needs an editor. It's very hard to self-edit -- it's a skill that takes a lot of time and practice -- and even then mistakes slip through. And when it comes down to it, I'd like to think that the WAHM is devoting her time to making quality diapers and taking care of her kids rather than combing through her site looking for errors.

So to answer the question, no -- it wouldn't affect my decision to buy.
#90 of 93 Old 11-07-2003, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tuffykenwell
In answer to the original question, if I can follow the text without getting a headache then no it wouldn’t bother me enough to not purchase if that was my original intent.

Steph
I think this sums it up wonderfully! ...it's just too bad that different things give different people headaches, lol!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page