Overwhelmed Pregnant Mama MORE Q? #12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been scouring the diapering forum trying to figure out the best plan for CD my LO due in December. I have succeeded only in becoming more and more :. So, while I wanted to avoid a "tell me what to do" thread (because seriously, all you mamas have better things to do ) here I am, begging for advice. Please help me figure out what to do for my NB stash if nothing else! I will you forever!

At first I thought I'd do all prefolds in wraps because that was supposedly the cheapest. But then I did some math and found that BG one size would actually be cheaper (and I really liked how easy/convenient they seemed). But, lurking on this forum it seems I was wrong (would need to buy something else for the NB stage anyway, and BG don't last very well according to reviews). I really wish I could just order all the same thing and be done with it. But from what I've read it's a bad idea to get all the same thing. This whole process is making my pregnant brain fizzle. :

So...here are my hopes/issues/etc.:

*I plan on having a nice big family (at least 5 kids) so I want something durable.

*I want something simple/easy/convenient/etc. (planning on using CD only, including when going out and about). If PF are simpler than they seem then I could totally be talked into that.

*We're not poor...but we're fairly low income. So something that won't be a completely monumental start up cost would be good (I guess if I just start with building my NB stash then the cost would be spread out as I move on to bigger sizes).

*I'm willing to consider just about anything.

*I am confused by exactly what I need and how many because it seems different sites say different things. For example, if doing PF inside a cover/wrap how many covers do I really need? And...do covers get washed in the washing machine or just cleaned by hand?

*I'd prefer to wash every other day.

*What's really the best deal (but still good dipes...i.e. not leaky or fall apart-ish)?

Please help me not feel so TIA!
#2 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 05:52 AM

I went with prefolds and covers, and bought enough to cover all sizes. The system worked fine until DD was about 5 or 6 months old and moved into the medium sized pro-raps. All of a sudden the proraps didn't work any more -- the velcro just didn't stay put, because she moved around too much. At that point, more or less, I made a stash of pocket diaper/trainers with side snaps which are great for a mobile baby because I can get them on her as she's crawling away, and they stay on, unlike velcro.

Thinner prefolds with wraps and pocket diapers will save you money on drying, which will be important for figuring the lifetime cost of the diapers. It's easier to line dry them and if you use a machine, they take a lot less time. however, I find stuffing pockets kind of a drag. Also, we do EC, which means that I don't appreciate the super-absorbent diapers, since I try to change after every pee we don't catch.

For the newborn stage, I buckled in to pressure from family (who were around to help out a lot) and used disposables. Next time, I think I'll sew up 2 or 3 dozen NB/Small fitted diapers, and re-use the covers we used this time, but maybe also get some cuter ones.

PUL wraps go in the regular wash, but wool has to be done sepatately, by hand.
#3 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM

here are my thoughts - PREFOLDS
-inexpensive
-very durable esp if you get unbleached
-easy to use (DH who had never changed a diaper before finds them easier than the kissaluvs we have b/c the snaps confuse him, but he can fold. If you can fold a simple paper airplane you can fold a prefold.)
-they can be used while out & about (we do it / take up less room in your diaper bag)
-if folded correctly & snappied (takes a little practice) hold in bf poop so great it does not get on the cover.
-easy to care for / dry fast / easy to strip if you get buildup
something you could do is what we did. we got covers w/ gussets (bummis super brites, imse vimse, thirsties) to give you a little back up while you are learning to fold.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#4 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 AM

I second junipervt's response: PREFOLDS.

- My DD is 9 wks old.
- We have 5 dozen infant prefolds, 2 BSSW covers and 5-6 recycled wool/fleece covers.
- My prefolds cost something like 26$ for 12 (I only bought 2 dozen, the rest were gifted to me). The Bummis covers were about 5$ each (I got them out of the "Seconds" bin, but there's nothing wrong with them!).
- My recycled wool and fleece covers cost nothing since I made them from my DSS's old clothing.
- I wash every 2-3 days, but sometimes I wait 4 days.
- If they get dirty or smelly, you can wash the BSSW covers by hand and let them air dry (they dry super fast).
- When your LO grows up, you can use the infant prefolds as stuffers inside other larger diapers.
- When you have other kids, you can reuse them.
- If they get stained, lay them out in the sun for a few hours and they're instantly stain-free again.

One thing though: I'd avoid just trifolding the prefolds inside a cover. It really doesn't do much to contain liquid bf poo. Learn a good fold (I'm a fan of the jelly roll fold!) and before long, you'll be able to change a prefold in the dark

When your LO gets to the squirmy crawling phase, you might consider switching to another system (you easily could make some pocket diapers) that'll stay on better than prefolds, but to get started, I honestly think it's the best system.
#5 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 PM

I vote to try a few prefolds, fitteds and a few pockets. This is what I did and it helped me see what I like.

Try 1-2 dozen infant prefolds, a few Kissaluvs fitteds and a bummis, thirsties and prorap cover so you can see which cover you like best. Get a BumGenius, Mommy's Touch snap and Rumparooz snap one-size pockets. You could also buy a medium FuzziBunz as kids are supposed to stay in that size the longest. My DD fit into a medium very early. Then save money for the post-infant size (2-5 mos later) and you can decide what you like.

If you can find a retailer near you, that would be best so you can touch and feel. Search Bummis, BumGenius and FuzziBunz web sites to see where their retailers are. It's my perception that those are the most commonly distributed diaper brands so that's why I recommend looking on their sites.
#6 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM

I think you might want a varied stash.. that's what I have and I love it. The back bone of my stash is prefolds. These are the diapers that will likely be worn by all my kids (and we are talking 4-6 as well) They are abosorbant, and easy to use (We snappi, but you could teach a sitter/grandparent to trifold) and easy to wash. No elastic to go wonky, no PUL to wear out. I like Unbleached Premiums and Unbleached Infant sized.

We also have fitteds in the a larger size, as sometimes he's moving to fast and won't lay still to put on a prefold. I can do up half of the fitted and pull it up his leg while he's standing. These aren't as durable as the prefolds... elastic is a tricky thing to maintain if you wash and dry on hot. (And I find that's the best way to keep my diapers from smelling) We use Sugar Peas two size organic hemp, but they aren't holding up well, and I wouldn't buy them again. For durability, I'd look into Motherease their one-size diaper is fantastically durable I hear.

For covers, we've always used Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. I like that they are durable, and easy to use. I've never had a problem with them, and look forward to trying the super brights when I get some money.

We also have a handful of pockets. I like these for when I'm sick and lazy, or when DS just doesn't want a diaper at ALL, and they are the easiest thing to pack in a diaper bag. We use Fuzzibunz and Bumgenious 3.0. However, I don't think these will make it through more than one more kid, as the elastic is already stretched out. So I may be buying more in the future.

I agree that seeing in real life is the best thing, if you can manage it. I see that you are in Alberta, and I know there are some Bricks and Mortar stores there... I'd ask around up in FYT, and see if you can find one close!

HTH!

ETA: Numbers.

Your newborn will need around 36 changes in 48 hours. (Sad to say... ) We started with 30 infant prefolds, 6 BSWW size small, 1 ME Airflow size sm and 5 fuzzibunz. We still came close (although never hit the end) of running out of diapers/covers those first few weeks. The covers get a lot of poo on them, especially as you are learning how to best diaper your LO to avoid poo blowouts.

Now, past the 6 month mark or so, we could get by with 24 diapers and 4 covers if we washed every other day... we've gotten lazy though and tend to go every third day now.

You may also need/want:
A pail liner
Wipes (I use baby washcloths... got a ton at my shower and bought an extra pack. They work well.)
Water bottle (I use a peri bottle)
Snappi/Pins (I use and like both)
Wool for night once your LO stops pooping at night. (We love our Aristocrats!)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I *think* I'm starting to get less confused?

It seems like I should start with prefolds (36) and covers and maybe a few pockets just to try 'em out. Fitted dipes are appealing...(no folding right?) but if PF get the job done I think I'd rather save my money (plus a fitted still requires a cover right?). And it seems I should try a few different types of covers, right? How many covers will I need for a newborn? 6? 8?

Do I get prefolds in infant size or newborn size? Is Green Mountain a good place to get prefolds?

What about doublers? Do I need those? How many? What kind (hemp)? And how exactly do you use them? Do you put them between the PF and baby or between the prefold and cover (I'm guessing between PF and baby)?

And how long will it be before I need to decide what I want to try in the next size up? Will my baby likely stay in the first stash until 3 mo, 5 mo?

How many snappis should I get?

I would love to see some dipes in person but my city is pretty small and I'd probably have to drive 3 hours to Calgary just to see some in person. And we can't afford that kind of gas money.

What about fleece covers? Should I try some of those? Do they work well for overnight? What do I need to do differently for overnight? Is wool as high maintenance as it seems?

And (here's a Q? for Twinklefae) what exactly do I need a water bottle for?

Thanks so much for all the help so far. I'm pretty much a diaper virgin. I've changed maybe 2 diapers my whole life (disposables). DH has changed more diapers than I have.
#8 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM

I didn't start CD with my kids till they were toddlers, but I have two in CD and have less than 2 dozen diapers total. I do wash daily, but find it really isn't that much work. We are on a tight budget, so I bought a try-it pack of pre-folds and a few covers, and my neighbor gave me 7 medium Fuzzi Buns. I have a few less absorbant prefolds and old covers I found on Craigslist, and that is it. You really don't need as many as all the sites say you do. If you are running low, do a load of laundry and you're set!
#9 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 PM

covers- 6 is a good number of covers, we have imse vimse & bummis super brites b/c I like gussets. the small super brites fit dd first when she was about 7lbs. at about 8lbs the imse vimse started to fit. we did not get nb sizes b/c i had expected a big baby but DD came 3 weeks early & was tiny. I think I'll get some nb prefolds & covers for next time just in case.
doublers- we use a fleece topped doubler with every change b/c DD is very sencitive to feeling the least bit wet (I blame the disposables we started w/) & is a heavy wetter (holds it then releases a ton of pee). the fleece goes against her skin & gives her a dry feeling if she has only peed a little. that said most people do not need doublers. you may want to get a few different ones just to try.
next size- all babies grow at different rates so it is impossible to tell when you'll have to size up. DD is tiny 12lbs at 5months & still has tons of room in her smalls and infant prefolds. My sister's son is 2 weeks older and has been in premium pf's & med covers for almost 2 months.
snappisyou really only need 1 but I suggest getting a 3pack. Mommy brain causes you (me) to lose things & you don't want to lose your 1 & only snappi
fleece & wool I have not tried either so hopefully someone else answers this question.
water bottle probably to wet your cloth wipes / I use a wipes warmer w/ just water & wipes in it

Hope this helps

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#10 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM

Another vote for prefolds. I got 2 dozen yellow-edge prefolds and 2 Snappis from Green Mountain Diapers, and 5 covers (2 Thirsties, a Bummis, and 2 Proraps - like the Thirsties the best) from Nicki's Diapers online for just over $100. I wash about every other day. I've only been doing it for 2 months but am liking it so far, and it looks like I won't have to buy prefolds and wraps at the same time so I won't have to shell out another hundred bucks all at once.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#11 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
I *think* I'm starting to get less confused?
Hooray!

Quote:
It seems like I should start with prefolds (36) and covers and maybe a few pockets just to try 'em out. Fitted dipes are appealing...(no folding right?) but if PF get the job done I think I'd rather save my money (plus a fitted still requires a cover right?). And it seems I should try a few different types of covers, right? How many covers will I need for a newborn? 6? 8?
Fitteds do require covers. I'd get between 6-8 covers for a newborn, as they do tend to blow out.

Quote:
Do I get prefolds in infant size or newborn size? Is Green Mountain a good place to get prefolds?
I'd get infant, but I had a 9lb baby and bulky bums don't bother me at all. Green Mountain is a good place, but I'm not a fan of there uniquely shaped white prefolds... I don't find them as absorbant as unbleached.

Quote:
What about doublers? Do I need those? How many? What kind (hemp)? And how exactly do you use them? Do you put them between the PF and baby or between the prefold and cover (I'm guessing between PF and baby)?
You shouldn't need doublers with a newborn, so I'd skip them and only buy them if you need them later. (It doesn't matter where you put them, they just add absorbency.)

Quote:
And how long will it be before I need to decide what I want to try in the next size up? Will my baby likely stay in the first stash until 3 mo, 5 mo?
You should make it to AT LEAST 3 months, and that's a minimum. (My baby and my friend's HUGE 11lb-der both made it to 3 months, and they were big boys!) Many people make it to 6 months and beyond.

[QUOTE=hollyvangogh;12277917]
How many snappis should I get? [/QUOTE}

I'd get 2. We did and they got us all the way through the first year.

Quote:
What about fleece covers? Should I try some of those? Do they work well for overnight? What do I need to do differently for overnight? Is wool as high maintenance as it seems?
I personally don't like fleece, some adore it. For a tiny baby they poop so often that you will have to change all night long anyway, so don't worry about a night time diaper til they stop that. I LOVE wool, and only wash it once a month or so, so it's only high maintenance at wash time. (Must be handwashed) but that's pretty rare.

If you do anything for overnight, get something easier to use when you are changing half asleep. (We used fuzzibunz for over nights sometimes too!)

Quote:
And (here's a Q? for Twinklefae) what exactly do I need a water bottle for?
Sorry, I use mine to wet the wipes. My change table isn't near the bathroom, so it saves me a trip!

It sounds like you are getting more organized! Buying new diapers is soooo much fun. It was my favourite part of getting ready for DS. Enjoy!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

#12 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I started with prefolds and covers. I recently bought a few fitteds and love them. I use them when we're out and when other change her diaper. But if you're getting a few pockets then they would serve those purposes.

We had 6 covers and were fine.

Good luck

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#13 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Buying new diapers is soooo much fun. It was my favourite part of getting ready for DS. Enjoy!
Fun?! : Ha!

Maybe once I figure out everything and have a plan that'll help it be more fun. Right now it's just making me feel dumb. That and it's hard to shell out the cash even *knowing* it's going to save me a FORTUNE in the long run.

I must admit all the advice is really helping. I'm getting less and less overwhelmed. I don't know what I'd do without MDC. I don't know anybody who CD. You mamas are my "Obi-Wan Kenobis" if you kwim. :

Does anybody know of a good website to order a variety of different brands/products? Shipping to Canada (heck shipping within Canada) can be pricey so I'd like to get as much as I can from the same source.

And which PF do *you* prefer?

What exactly is the routine for care of wool covers (don't you need lanolin or something)?

Do I really need to get 6-8 covers in newborn size and the next size or can I skip newborn? It seems like getting just the right size in a cover would be far more important than getting the perfect fit in the PF.

Wow, you mamas are my
#14 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know of a good website to order a variety of different brands/products? Shipping to Canada (heck shipping within Canada) can be pricey so I'd like to get as much as I can from the same source.

And which PF do *you* prefer?
I like the Bummis brand prefolds from here www.nurtured.ca (She's local to me) www.parentingbynature.com sells them too, and they are based out of Ontario. There are a couple of places based out of BC, but I don't know the names. You could also get the Bummis "kit" it comes with 36 prefolds and 6 covers in the newborn package.

I forgot you are in Canada...Green Mountain doesn't ship here anyway. (I got mine shipped to the States and then shipped on....I was really curious)

Quote:
What exactly is the routine for care of wool covers (don't you need lanolin or something)?

Do I really need to get 6-8 covers in newborn size and the next size or can I skip newborn? It seems like getting just the right size in a cover would be far more important than getting the perfect fit in the PF.
I would get a couple of newborn covers (like 2 tops) as they tend to outgrow them within weeks unless you have a tiny baby. Then get 6 small. That way you have 8 potential covers that should fit (more or less) during the first few weeks. If you have a 5 lb baby you can always buy the newborn covers later, knowing that the smalls will fit for much longer, as your kid is likely to be petite.

Wool: This is my routine. I add a squirt of either eucalan or baby shampoo and a couple of inches of Lansinoh (the same kind you put on your nipples) in a mug and microwave it til it's boiling. I pour it into a dishpan and add cool water. (The water should be cloudy) Then I put in my wool items. I let them soak til I remember that they are there (anywhere from a few hours to a few days...) and gently wring them out. I then roll them up in a towel to get as much water out as I can and hang them to dry. That's it and that's only every few months unless he has diarrhea or something. (He sleeps in wool every night.)

Quote:

I must admit all the advice is really helping. I'm getting less and less overwhelmed. I don't know what I'd do without MDC. I don't know anybody who CD. You mamas are my "Obi-Wan Kenobis" if you kwim. :
:: I'm glad to be of help. It's like this for everyone in the beginning.... I swear! I pestered the life out of mamas on here when I was preggers. It's the way it works. In a few months you'll be on here giving advice to a confused mother-to-be.

#15 of 21 Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Now, I'll preface this and say I'm pregnant with my first so I haven't started CDing myself yet.

From my mother's advice and from what I've heard here and elsewhere, this is what I'm doing:

I'm starting out with prefolds and flats. Right now I have a dozen prefolds and two dozen flats. I'm going to get more before baby comes however, and I'm also going to be using miracle diapers. They are a lending library of sorts for cloth diapers, and are for low income families so you may want to check them out.

I am going to be using disposables when dd is first born, as she's due very near the holidays and I want to give myself time to learn this whole CD thing before I have no backup, lol. It's up to your comfort level though.

I only have safety pins right now, but I'd like to get some snappies as well. If you use safety pins I've heard over and over they should be kept in a bar of soap or some wax/beeswax so that they don't dull.

I'm thinking of exclusively using flats until my daughter is at least a few months old and then I may look into getting some of the bumgenius one size fits all. I'm curious about these, but I'm going to wait until I have some more expendable income.
#16 of 21 Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

My 2 week old wears either a small or an extra small Thirsties cover. (She was 8 lbs 9 oz at birth.) The XS is trimmer on her, but even the S works well. They're very adjustable. We have 2 XS and 4 or 5 S and that lasts us a couple of days easily.

We also use fitteds at night because it makes it easy in the dark or dim light.

Have you checked out DiaperSwappers.com? I got all my stash used and I am very happy with it. And I saved a bunch of money.

Twinklefae mentioned elastic wearing out on pocket diapers. It's true that this happens--I have some used pockets that have blown elastic. But I've found that it's pretty easy to replace it if you or someone you know even sort of knows how to handle a sewing machine. There are tutorials online to show you how.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#17 of 21 Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks to the OP for posting this! These are all the same questions I had. I only used fuzzi bunz before but I don't want to shell out the $350 again this time . ( I know I should have hung onto those things) Anyway, can I ask 1 question, if using a wool cover, why wouldn't it need to be washed more than once a month? Don't they get pee on them?

Momma to fly-by-nursing1.gif, dust.gif, and twins.gif

#18 of 21 Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertymom View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting this! These are all the same questions I had. I only used fuzzi bunz before but I don't want to shell out the $350 again this time . ( I know I should have hung onto those things) Anyway, can I ask 1 question, if using a wool cover, why wouldn't it need to be washed more than once a month? Don't they get pee on them?
They are "self-cleaning", so when they get pee on them, you just hang them to dry and then they're as good as new. They only need to be washed if they get poop on them, or when they start to smell, usually after several weeks. One of the great characteristics of wool!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#19 of 21 Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancupcake View Post
they are "self-cleaning", so when they get pee on them, you just hang them to dry and then they're as good as new. They only need to be washed if they get poop on them, or when they start to smell, usually after several weeks. One of the great characteristics of wool!
cool!!!

ETA: You know what's really weird? I wanted to write "cool" in all caps...but every time I tried to do so it reverted to lower case.
#20 of 21 Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 AM

Well I am of a different opinion. My DD is only 4 months old now but this is what we have been doing.

We bought prefolds, prowraps, GDiapers, and BG 3.0. We ended up using 7th generation disposables for the first couple weeks until the cord fell off. Then we used the GDiapers and BG(these were pretty big but still worked great). I tried the prefolds and prowraps but didn't like them so they ended up being burp cloths. I still try them when everything is in the wash but not a big fan. The GDiapers were good but I only bought the smalls and don't want to invest more money in mediums and then larges so I stopped using them and bought more BG. The BG is all I use now and really really like them. I don't have experience in the long run but so far they are holding up great and so easy to use and wash. They are pretty bulky for newborns though. I love that I don't have to buy and deal with sizes.

~Amber
#21 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM

I just wanted to add my THANK YOU! in with Holly's you mama's are my heroes and I'm so glad to have a community like this to turn to when I have question.

This thread has also cleared up a bunch of confusion for me.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page