What diaper rash/barrier cream is safe with cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anything? We just went through a really bad bout of bleeding bottom. He's teething and his bottom was just raw. I switched to sposies so I could use plenty of cream. I used California Baby and Aquaphor. His bottom cleared up within a few days. I'd really like to use a barrier cream, especially for teething times. We switched back to cloth today and I'm so worried it's going to come back. His bottom was already getting a little red again at bedtime, but it may not have been the same thing.
#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2008, 02:01 PM

I've used Calendula cream on my dd and with prefolds with no problem. But the best bet would be to use a fleece liner. I use Desitin Creamy when my dd looks a little rashy and fleece liner and it works just fine!
#3 of 11 Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 PM

We just went through a bad bout, and I felt just horrible for DS. In times like those, I say "screw it" and use whatever is at my fingertips---Boudreaux, Vaseline, Desitin, anything--and just dot it on the bad parts, which usually helps it clear faster. When things calm down, I use Gold Bond powder, it was the only powder I could find that had zinc oxide which is what the Fuzzi Bunz website suggests. GL for your LO!
#4 of 11 Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 PM

We've used zinc oxide cream and never had a problem. In four plus years I've never had to strip our diapers. That's only our experience though. I don't know if it's officially considered okay.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#5 of 11 Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 PM

I was told any that are olive oil based are best. I use angel baby bottom balm.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#6 of 11 Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 PM

I also use angel baby bottom balm: http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/an...ttom_balm.html

I only use it when he bottom gets red and it clears it up so quickly.
#7 of 11 Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 PM

You can use any cream if you use a liner. Or buy some fabric like felt or cotton, cut it up into liners and put it into your baby's diaper. Then you can either wash them or throw them out.
#8 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
I was told any that are olive oil based are best. I use angel baby bottom balm.
I just found this balm a month ago and I love it! Clears up most everything on D, and he has pretty sensitive skin.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 AM

mother-ease told me that i could use vaseline since it washed out of cotton fairly easily and doesn't leave the fish oil smell.
#10 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 AM

I use bert bees with no problems. Dont use Desitin or anything with fish oil or it will leave the diapers stinky. We gob on berts bees. We love it. It smells awesome.
#11 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM

I always understood it was the fish oil that cause the diaper problems. I use burts bees or aveeno.

Sometimes I just strait olive oil too. I really like doing that, but I forget to put around the changing table.

I do liners sometimes too.

But, if the rash is coming back quickly after switching back to cloth - are you sure you don't have a detergent build up or bacteria problem?

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page