Question about solid poops - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is just starting to have some solids in his poop (we've been lucky to go straight to the pail mostly until now). I always thought I'd be able to just shake off the solids into the toilet, but usually the small little chunks stick to the diaper. Is that okay? Can it go straight to the pail if it doesn't shake off easily?

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM

I think that you will hear different things from different mammas. I am a little grossed out by chunks of poop going into my washer, so I shake in the toilet and spray the little chunks off with nothing more than a bottle of water (the one I use for DS1's hair when it's wild has a setting for stream which does the trick).

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
#3 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Have you tried getting a handful of toilet paper and using that to push the rest into the toilet? I do that, and anything that's still stuck, I just let it go into the washer. No big deal. Occasionally you'll find little bits of grape skin or the skin of peas or something in your washer, but by the time you find it, it's been sanitized. Just wipe it out and that's the end of it. I am grossed out by the idea of all the rinsing and dunking and stuff that some people do. I'd rather just clean out the washing machine, after all the ickies have been sanitized by hot water.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I do sometimes use toilet paper to get it off. Even that grosses me out a bit. I'm so glad I started CD'ing when DS was EBF, or else I never would have stuck with it LOL.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#5 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Before I bought my diaper sprayer, I just kept a pair of rubber gloves near the toilet to get the majority of the poop off, then just washed my hands with them still on to clean them off.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#6 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 12:42 AM

When we arrived at my grandma's house today, dd had a major bm in her dipe. I didn't want to just toss it in the wetbag to deal with hours later. So I went in the backyard and hosed it off. That is what I am going to do from now on! Doesn't matter where it goes, doesn't smell as bad, I"m more likely to spray it *clean*. . . we'll see how I feel about this method when it is freezing out, but for now, it is great!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#7 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
When we arrived at my grandma's house today, dd had a major bm in her dipe. I didn't want to just toss it in the wetbag to deal with hours later. So I went in the backyard and hosed it off. That is what I am going to do from now on! Doesn't matter where it goes, doesn't smell as bad, I"m more likely to spray it *clean*. . . we'll see how I feel about this method when it is freezing out, but for now, it is great!
Um, actually, the poop goes untreated into our groundwater systems with this method. Human poop should go in the toilet. I have a diaper sprayer that I seriously love now that DD is in the dreaded transitional poop stage.
#8 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM

I just shake it into the toilet and use toilet paper to get anything else off. Sometimes I can't get it all off but I don't worry too much about it. I really want a diaper sprayer though!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 9 Old 10-10-2008, 06:14 PM

I also think a diaper sprayer might be a good solution for you. Here are some fun ones! I agree, it's best to get the poop in the toilet as much as possible.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page