What's your biggest diaper buying goof? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's mine...
At about 9 mo dd started totally, totally soaking through her reg and premium cpfs (with a single pee). Instead of buying more premuim cpfs and some hemp doublers I bought a ton (6 doz) of toddler cpfs (we wash about every 7-10 days at the laundrymat). I figured that yeah she's almost too chubby for the premiums anyway and she'll need the toddler ones soon enough.

Now at 16 mo she's a string bean and rarely even soaks through a reg cpf.

Go figure....I should have asked you mamas first!
#2 of 40 Old 11-18-2003, 08:16 PM

I bought a LD AIW while pregnant. It's totally cute, but waaaay to girly for my son, and unfortunately, no one seems to want it either! LOL!
#3 of 40 Old 11-18-2003, 09:09 PM

I made Waaaaay too many HB Homes, lol. Not only could we never use them all, but dd developed an apparently temporary sensitivity to fleece. :

We're now in our simplistic cpf and wrap phase.

Jennifer
#4 of 40 Old 11-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Custom ordering stuff waaay too big. I always do this! I like to get the most out of my diapers so sometimes I size up even if DD isn't in the weight range (she's 17 lbs and I'll order a 22-35lb diaper). Then I get the dipe and it swims on her and she can't even wear it. Duhhh. :
#5 of 40 Old 11-18-2003, 11:13 PM

My biggest was buying larges for my first when she was 18.5 lbs and chubby. They fit her fine at 9 mos old, but when she was 18 mos old and barely 20 lbs soaking wet they were all too big and I had to sell them and buy mediums. At least she could still wear the mediums when she potty trained. lol!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#6 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by momtokay
My biggest was buying larges for my first when she was 18.5 lbs and chubby. They fit her fine at 9 mos old, but when she was 18 mos old and barely 20 lbs soaking wet they were all too big and I had to sell them and buy mediums. At least she could still wear the mediums when she potty trained. lol!
Oh No! DD is 20 lbs and 9 mo and thinning out. Is this going to happen to me? Nooooooooooooooo I love my dipes!!!!
#7 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 01:25 AM

6 dozen!? That is so many!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 03:20 AM

When we converted to CD, I bought all one brand of commercial AIOs. They are fine, and they work - but I LOVE LOVE LOVE wahm stuff. I just never knew about it when I was making the switch! So I have 2 dozen white PUL AIOs, and about 1 dozen wahm AIOs. : I'll know better for baby #2.
#9 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 03:24 AM

Almost all the stuff I bought at Born to Love I wish I had not wasted my $ on - Snug-to-Fit (old style), MeeMee, Hempers muslin, some weird hemp fitted diaper...some weird covers too. What a dummy I was back then! :LOL
#10 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 03:57 AM

My biggest goof was thinking it was a smart idea to go all prefolds and wool covers. Which would normally be fine. For babies who have solid poops that can be CONTAINED in a prefold. Like every toddler in the world but MINE. :

Bumpy wools are great but stains are impossible to get out of that wool!
#11 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 AM

I bought a bunch of FB for dd and even some smalls when I was pregnant with ds.

It was such a fiasco, I couldn't get a good fit (tried different sizes) and the snaps wouldn't stay snapped. I finally sold them all (incl the unused smalls) and haven't gone near a FB since! :LOL
#12 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Not buying insurance on an order...I'm pretty sure something I'm waiting on that I was really looking forward to is lost in the mail...I am still keeping my hopes up though.
#13 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 01:04 PM

My first diaper purchase was 2 dozen snugabye aio.... they fit small he couldnt even wear them they were just horrible..... but i sold them in small lots and got my money back.......... but i am one of those weird poeple who can not just buy 1 of any thing i need at least 2....... even if i have never tried it....:
#14 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 03:20 PM

Oh boy, where to begin...

I think mine was purchasing a bunch of Kushies AIOs. I had no experience with CDs and thought they were great...until I got some experience. I recovered virtually none of the money. They really didn't work at ALL with DS.

BTW, my son wore Larges from 3 MONTHS ON. When he slimmed down he was in XLs and can now wear some larges and some XLs, so I wouldn't say that if you start with larges you're doomed to go back to mediums later. He never fit mediums.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#15 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nikirj
I wouldn't say that if you start with larges you're doomed to go back to mediums later. He never fit mediums.
I definitely agree with that!! My first didn't gain an ounce for over 6 months!! She was definitely not your "typical" case scenario! If your baby is comfortably in larges you're probably more than fine. The larges were borderline too big on her at her chubbiest so when she got so tiny they didn't work at all for her.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#16 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 07:12 PM

I think mine was buying a VERY expensive big-name diaper product and finding it didn't live up to my expectations- or the price tag IMO.

Live and learn.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#17 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 07:22 PM

Mine was buying my 2 AngelWraps AIOs too small. They are custom baseball prints in a small. They are gorgeous! I was sooooooo upset when I had to put them away. There is no more of the fabric available to make me some more... He only ended up using them for a few weeks.

I think alot of it had to do with my inexperience with cd'ing when I bought them, I had just started a few weeks prior. I should have recognized that they were too small when I tried them on but I just thought it was the fit. Plus, I was too excited to wash them and get them on him. :LOL

Nada
#18 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 09:32 PM

One word...ebay

I really thought i had read enough to purchase and guess what, I was wrong. I really wish we had a brick & mortar store around here that I could go to and actually see the different products before I bought them.
#19 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ecology kids covers. Looked like a good deal on ebay. Leaked like a sieve!!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8), & due 3/2015. 3 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013.  I knit, sew, teach, write, & grow.  
Special needs mom:  (ASD) and  (CHD)
#20 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 09:59 PM

waste of cash for Alek because he was almost 10 pounds at birth.
#21 of 40 Old 11-19-2003, 11:25 PM

Ooo, ooo. Here's mine. THREE small fleece covers for my newborn. I had no idea that fleece covers would be so HUGE over a KL 0. :LOL I didn't use them until I learned to snappi an infant prefold and until the cpf didn't need any folding; the cover was tolerable with such a thin diaper underneath.

Wait a minute. Nope, that one's not so bad. I know!! It was the 2 Righteous Baby size one shell sets that are very obviously girly. I bought them when I was pregnant and didn't know what I was having. I was *sure* it was a girl! : VERY wrong. It seems I'll be stuck with them until I have a girl (tho dh says this is it. . .little does he know how I can manipulate him )
#22 of 40 Old 11-20-2003, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thefeasetree
Ooo, ooo. Here's mine. THREE small fleece covers for my newborn. I had no idea that fleece covers would be so HUGE over a KL 0. :LOL I didn't use them until I learned to snappi an infant prefold and until the cpf didn't need any folding; the cover was tolerable with such a thin diaper underneath.

Wait a minute. Nope, that one's not so bad. I know!! It was the 2 Righteous Baby size one shell sets that are very obviously girly. I bought them when I was pregnant and didn't know what I was having. I was *sure* it was a girl! : VERY wrong. It seems I'll be stuck with them until I have a girl (tho dh says this is it. . .little does he know how I can manipulate him )
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way!

Actually, when I got married- my pastor's wife advised me (while waggling her eyebrows) that they are certain ways to get what you want!
#23 of 40 Old 11-20-2003, 06:32 AM

Kushies AIO and plain white cheapo carousol dipes on ebay. They sucked bad.......I even quit cd'ing until he was 2.5 months old cause I was so discouraged. LOL Little did I know then that the diaper world was huge!

Desiree

#24 of 40 Old 11-20-2003, 10:14 AM

My biggest goof was that when I started out nearly 5 years ago, I thought I had to have a diaper sevice in order to cloth diaper my baby! It took me two months before someone at an LLL meeting introduced me to Mother-ease diapers and that was the end of diaper services for me... Thank Goodness!!!

-Azadeh
#25 of 40 Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 AM

My biggest goof was buying 12 Toddler CPFs when I was pregnant. I figured dd would outgrow the infant ones & we'd move up. Little did I know she'd be a peanut & still be using infant sized ones at 17mo

I also thought I'd use CPFs more than we did (in fact I hated them until a few months ago, and now have found them great for inside the various QD AIOs that I own when the soakers are wet). I also bought a snappi, which I never liked & ended up giving it away.

#26 of 40 Old 11-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Banned

Not checking WAHM references, nor asking about them to anyone. Someone couls start a WAHM business yesterday and sell you full priced dipes that are not good quality and then book and be gone with no email reply at all.
#27 of 40 Old 11-22-2003, 12:55 AM

Two words....Funky Babies. The worst diapers ever : not AIOs , sizes are way off , and made with hidden nasty materials. Also the Kushies AIO's and the Carousal AIO's (Desiree , we must have been shoppping at the same time :LOL). All these diapers scared me away from cding for awhile. I fear they might do that to all who come in contact with them.
#28 of 40 Old 11-22-2003, 02:15 AM

Not knowing that the diaper world was so huge I purchased 20 small Bumkins aio's and I hated them. Plus my ds was born at 10 pounds. I bought them because I thought they were cute..but never knew about any other style diapers. I used them for about a month and then sold them all.
#29 of 40 Old 11-22-2003, 02:49 AM

Mine was buying those horrible Funky Babies off ebay. TERRIBLE dipes. Oh, and buying HBs...I don't work well with fleece.
#30 of 40 Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 PM

This is great info! I've only been cd'ing for 2 months and I'm enjoying hearing what not to do! lol

Anyone else want to add?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page