Borax and Washing Soda? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Moms!

I've been washing our CD's since DD was born with borax and washing soda...I have found that FB didn't work for me, they tended to repel, was this a detergent problem?

I also see that my dipes tend to be a bit...crusty, especially my flanelette wipes, is this just becasue they've been washed so many times, or do I need to change what I'm washing with?

I want a fairly inexpensive, natural detergent...has borax and w.s. worked for others, or do I need to switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just switched to seventh generation laundry powder but still use the borax. i do an additional rinse with vinegar and think i've finally found the perfect thing for my aio's...you need to experiment a bit, but adding vinegar to the rinse is definitely worth a try...
Old 11-20-2003, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Use ONLY regular detergent. No pure soap products or mild detergents such as Dreft or Ivory Snow. Also, no bleach, softeners or whitening agents. ( I would think that Borax would fall undaer a whitening agent and could be why you had problems. )We recommend using any store brand detergent to wash diapers.
A word about "natural" cleaning agents
As noted above, you can not use pure "soap" products on your Fuzzi Bunz because of the coating that they leave. Many "natural" detergents will do the same. We can not name them all because they are numerous but if you buy it in a health food store or have to order it from the internet you can probably group it in this category. Now this is not saying it will not work, if it does, that is wonderful - keep using it. If you are using the "natural" cleaning agent and you are having leaking problems you have found your culprit.
I don't know about the other dipes but I would bet this could be a problem for htem too. Almost all dipes say no bleaching agent and Borax is a whitener. Good luck and let us know if you change it if it works. Have a blessed day.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm, I wonder if there are any non-scented, non phosphate detergents out there...*Scratch*, I'm still not really sure what the diff is between borax, washing soda and detergents, is washing soda a 'soap?'.

Hmmm....will definitely try vinegar in the rinse.

User Tag List