Bottombumpers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-28-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered seven Bottombumpers in December, taking advantage of their 20% off sale. I ordered some for my toddler and some for my new baby.

They took a little while to arrive, but they were worth it! (This was a custom order, and my understanding is that she will be going to an instock store system sometime soon.)

The hand-dyed hemp is STUNNING. I love that the outers are hemp jersey, and the microfleece used on the soaker is very soft, and didn't pill after two washes like some does. I also really like the turned and topstitched style, ir doesn't look ruffly like serged edges, and wears better than bound edges.

I also like the fit. The front of the diaper isn't gathered, and lays smoothly across my toddler's tummy. The back has heavier gathering to keep messes in. The soaker snaps into the front of the diaper, and is sewn down the middle to create a channel for moisture to be drawn through. The sewing is excellent.

I would say, if anything, the diapers run a little big. My toddler is 35 lbs with chunky thighs, so I ordered an XL. I could have gotten away with an L, especially since there's a little stretch.

I've found these to be just the right mix of absorbent and trim.

#2 of 20 Old 03-13-2004, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, i am finally able to use my M on my 14 pound ds. i also bought several to take advantage of the 25% off sale! hmm, buy more to save money - i gotta think about that one again..

they are very big on him, but he is at the lower end of the size range, so that is ok. but right now with a cover they are very bulky. i cant wait until spring/summer when he can run around coverless. i think i will be very happy with them, then!

i bought some side and some front snapping. i havent tried the side snapping becuase i dont think he will fit in them yet. right now we are on the smallest setting on his front snapping.

so far he has soaked the soaker but the outter layer still stays pretty dry. hmmm, maybe i dont need a cover now...

and i love the colors!

lillian
#3 of 20 Old 07-19-2004, 11:22 PM

I bought six small BBs, all hand-dyed hemp, 4 prints (dyed PRR print over two layers of hemp) and two all-hemp. I've used them regularly for between six and eight weeks.

Let me first say that I think the design and fit of these diapers is outstanding. Trimness is a 10+, very narrow between the legs, clever soaker design (narrow and channel-stitched) and it's relatively absorbent (I see wetness to the outside in one pee, but it's not soaked).

My problem has been with the construction. The snaps are hidden, which means that there are a lot of snaps that only go through one layer of fabric. I've had holes develop around *unused* snaps (the smallest ones, when I only use the middle or outer ones) from the strain of the snap rubbing on the single layer of fabric, and also had holes around the edges of the diaper. The fact that they are turned and topstitched seems to put strain on the seams and the edges (where the diapers rub against the cover and against other diapers in the washer and dryer) don't hold up.

The turned and topstitched edges are also very thick around the leg casings--because the hem is turned in, there's a total of six layers of fabric plus an elastic band all sewn into a casing. I've found that as the hemp stiffens, as it naturally does, these thick casings become stiff and press into my daughter's thighs.

If these diapers were serged and had reinforced snaps, I think they'd be close to perfect. I have to repeat that the fit is really fabulous. But I won't be ordering any more until I have confidence that they'll last.
#4 of 20 Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 AM

Update after 9-10 weeks:

I've had holes develop along the turned and topstitched edges on all of my remaining BBs (sold three before they got holes). It almost seems that the fabric is splitting under the strain of the topstitching. On one all-hemp diaper (seafoam), large holes (1/3 inch long) developed next to an unused snap and on the inner side of the diaper at the end of a stitching line. On one diaper (a 3-layer with a PRR print on the outside) the topstitching is coming undone on one wing. The seafoam diaper has faded significantly, though the pink PRRs are still acceptably dark.

Customer service: When the diapers arrived, a soaker was missing. I e-mailed the WAHM and she said she'd get one out to me as soon as she could. When a soaker developed a hole after 10 days of wear, I e-mailed the WAHM again. She said she'd put in another new soaker and send them both as soon as she was sewing again (she had elective surgery, a delay I totally understand). However, when she restocked the store with post-surgery-sewn diapers before I saw my soakers, I wondered what was up. I e-mailed her again several weeks later with my experience with holes developing in the diapers, and asked about the missing soaker(s). She said she'd get "it" to me (I'm guessing just the missing one, not the replacement for the one with a hole) ASAP. I'm still in what I would consider an acceptable waiting time after that last e-mail (it's been one week), but I don't know what's going to happen with the replacement soaker.

In that e-mail the WAHM said that the snaps were reinforced. I replied that I can see that mine are not (after the holes developed in the seafoam diaper, I opened it up to examine the construction), and she said I must have one of the last batch that were not.

Fit: the side-snappers are now too small for my 12-lb baby (advertised as going to 20 lbs). She is on the last waist snap and I can't snap even the last thigh snap. The front-snappers are slightly better; she's on the last setting.

As always, my experience/my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
#5 of 20 Old 08-26-2004, 05:41 PM

Customer service update: It's now August 26 (a month after she said "I'm mailing your soaker now") and no sign of either soaker. The diaper it was for stopped fitting several weeks ago, but I'd like to have a complete diaper to put away for the next baby. I'm pretty disgruntled about the lack of CS by this company.
#6 of 20 Old 09-30-2004, 03:44 PM

These ran really, really big, but other than that a very well made diaper. I had some troubles with customer service, and a loooooooooong wait for a custom order. Twice. But other than that, they are great diapers!
#7 of 20 Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM

I was fortunate enough to get to be a tester for the NEW BottomBumpers -- new owner, and slightly modified design -- and I them!!! I decided to get a small because I wanted something super trim and lowcut on the front, but higher on the backside. For the record, Katie is not quite 8 months old, she weighs approximately 18 or 19 pounds, and has a 15 inch waist and 10 inch thighs. Here are some pics:
BottomBumper fitted
It is really absorbant, too.
And Stacy, the new owner, is incredibly sweet and a FAST shipper!

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#8 of 20 Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 AM

I second that. I was a tester as well and I love our Bottombumpers dipes! Stacy is great to work with.
#9 of 20 Old 12-19-2004, 11:27 AM

I second that. I was a tester as well and I can't say enough great things about these dipes. We heart them.
#10 of 20 Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 AM

I bought a diaper that was a second from Stacy to try out and it is fabulous. I really like the design and find it to be very trim. Also, very absorbant. I wish Stacy the best of luck on her new business venture and expect she will have loads of success because her products are top notch and her customer service is great as well.
#11 of 20 Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 PM

I recently ordered a diaper from Stacy. WOW! I ordered a medium and dd is on the low end of the size range at 14lbs but it fits her great, and will for a while. It is narrow through the stride, while still having full coverage in the back which is one of the main things I look for in a diaper. Dd has worn this diaper overnight several times with out a leak. I will be ordering more!
#12 of 20 Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 AM

I have 2 Bottombumpers from Stacy and 4 more on the way! We love them here. I order the medium front snappers and they fit my daughter like they were made for her, love her new design. And Stacy is so sweet and her customer service is top notch!!
#13 of 20 Old 02-22-2005, 03:02 AM

I have one bottombumper and it is awesome! It fits perfect and very absorbant for a heavy wetter!! The dye is perfect and hasn't faded. Did I say trim? LOL. Sooooo trim! I can't wait to try more from Stacey!! I got wonderful CS and she shipped so fast with excellent communication!
#14 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM

I also love my BB fitteds! The sewing is flawless and the CS is top notch. Her fitteds make up the bulk of my fitteds stash! I really love the fit and they are very trim and absorbent!

Update: I have now also tried her AIO's and I just love them! They are awesome! Very trim and they hold up to my DS super soaking!
#15 of 20 Old 03-20-2005, 11:46 AM

WOW! I'm surprised more people have reviewed Botom Bumpers. Stacy is the WAHM there and she is AMAZING!!! She's fast, friendly and just all round wonderful! Anything she makes turns to gold. She's THAT good!

I haven't had the luxery of trying one of her fitteds but I hear AMAZING raves about them!

I have tried her AIO though and it is trim trim trim! I love the rise on her medium short for my daughter. I do find that I need to use a doubler as my DD is a heavy wetter (and I use a doubler with all my AIOs). But, with that doubler... thes AIOs are AMAZING!!! WOW!

Thank you Stacy for blessing the diapering community with another AMAZING diapering item!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#16 of 20 Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 AM

I was fairied a brand new Bottombumpers diaper and was very impressed. It is narrow in the stride, trim yet absorbant, well made, and very cute. I have also discussed some possible custom diapers w/ Stacy, as well as purchased some used diapers from her, and she is an absolute sweetheart. I would recommend doing business w/ her any time!
#17 of 20 Old 03-22-2005, 01:24 PM

I've tried both medium and large in side-snapping fitteds and they both fit my dd wonderfully. The medium is the absolute trimmest diaper I've ever put on her, but quite absorbent because of the snap-in hemp doubler that is both long enough and wide enough to offer full coverage. One of the dipes I have is one of her hand dyed fitteds and it is the prettiest combination of orange and yellows and definitely makes a nice dipe even nicer. I appreciated how friendly Stacy was in email communication throughout the order process.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#18 of 20 Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 AM

I ordered 2 BB AIO's from Stacy and they are awesome! The rise is perfect and the fit around the legs too. Her turn around time was quick and shipping was fast!
#19 of 20 Old 04-19-2005, 03:09 AM

I recently ordered 6 OV lined Bottom Bumpers AIOs and OMG they are awesome! They are very trim through the crotch yet have plenty of coverage on the front and back for my boy. We have tried many other trim solutions and Stacy's dipes are the best - a combo of trimness AND reliability. The fit is perfect and no gap anywhere. Stacy is a gem to work with!
#20 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Stacy's diapers are amazing. Beautiful workmanship, great design, top notch customer service and always fast shipping!! Love bb's!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page