Happy Heiny's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2003, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had to give a rave for Kenny's Happy Heiny's Red PUL outer diaper. It is my FIRST velcro closure WAHM-made diaper that I have kept. I am not a velcro closure kind of momma, but this one came very well constructed, the tabs don't 'roll' at the velcro and they are neatly sewn. I also like that there are no leg casings, but the fleece does not roll out.

You can see it here. I had heard of HHs for a good while on the Diapering Forum and finally, after a year :LOL , decided to toss my negativity towards velcro and give it a try. I got mine directly from Linda and she got it out the next day.

Kenny has worn it several times since then - no leaks whatsoever. At first I was worried that the thighs didn't fit right - b/c they gaped, but then we just stuffed it with the inner cpf folded to be wider and it was a perfect fit. I like the high cut on the leg . . . and the velcro adjusts perfectly to his waist with much room to grow. Planning on getting a few more for church nursery and when we are out and about.

Happy Heiny's - www.happyheinys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 PM

There are two types of diapers that I NEVER wanted for my baby.....a pocket diaper and one with velcro closures. Well, that was until I got my first Happy Heiny's diaper from Linda.

The diaper I bought from her is too cute for words! I got the primary snake print, and I am so happy with it. The fit was wonderful, and I was extremely pleased with how well it works. I am typically a wool kind of gal, but for going out and about and for under certain clothes, I like PUL instead. I also usually prefer a fitted diaper and cover, but these are a great addition to any hyena's diaper stash! :LOL

This diaper has fast become one of our favorites for those who are "cloth-diaper challenged" in our house as well. Even my dh can figure these ones out!

I really like everything about these diapers, the fit, the function, and the print!
Old 05-06-2003, 02:00 AM

I too am not a pocket or velcro fan. Velcro for the obvious reasons and pockets b/c I can't reuse them like I can w/an AIO w/snap in soakers if baby just pees.

However, I do have 2 Happy Heinys and I like them a lot. The Tinkerbell print was the first cloth diaper to arrive for my 2yo and she was so excited! Character prints are the only reason I got her to switch to cloth from sposies at 2yo.

I stuff my Large HH w/a premium CPF quarter folded and it's just about held up for 12 hours at night. If I add a little extra - we're there! Dry in the a.m.

I've had no problems w/leg wicking or gaping myself.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 05-06-2003, 01:07 PM

I think that these diapers are very well made, and the prints are great (I have one of my all-time favorite prints, a green frog Lennon). They are relatively trim (though quite poofy in the butt). However, they have never worked for us without major leaks. It is possible that the large is too big for my tall and skinny son, but the diaper appears to fit. In general, pocket diapers have not worked well for us (sold our PT fuzzi bunz after a couple of months of regular yet unpredictable wicking). I gave one of my HH away, and the other I use for a swim diaper, which it works well as.

Karla
Old 05-06-2003, 07:56 PM

I had the new laminated print dipes and they are very cute and well made. they were shipped fast and linda is great to work with.i to am not a fan of velcro but i gave these a whirl. my son who is a very fat and short baby so he has a short rise so i had gapping issues the mediums would have fit him in the rise but not in the waist... so great diaper just not a good fit on my odd shaped child....
Old 05-07-2003, 03:02 AM

I really do like these diapers, they are cute and the fit was pretty good. But we did have problems with breastfed baby poo leaking out the legs. I don't know if we had a bad fit or what but it happened twice. I use these when I know my child isn't going to poop or at night. And they do hold up wonderfully at night. And Linda is great. Very nice and good customer service.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:35 AM

I love these pocket diapers, and switched from Fuzzi Bunz to the HH because I just love the prints, the velcro, the consistant quality ect.... The new laminated PUL is a wonderful improvment, and we have had no leaks or wicking and we use these babies overnight! They do get a bit "poofy" when stuffed for overnight, but it is not as bulky as a fitted or prefolds with a wool cover, so it is still my favorite option.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:35 PM

I had no interest in pocket dipes, liking cotton hemp and wool, but got two HHs to try for nighttime use. Wow! I am impressed. These are not hot inside (we aren't in a hot climate, though) and the top fleece layer feels dry all night while the hemp soaker I stuffed it with saturates. This diaper gave me the longest stretch of sleep ever last night... I usually wake to change my 14-month-old at least two times because he hates feeling his wet diaper against his skin.

The diaper has bright, clear colors and prints and the velcro is wide and easy to close. I am not a velcro fan, but this I like. These are really nice diapers!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 05-09-2003, 09:27 PM

I use mostly Fuzzi Bunz, and just used a HH for the first time on my daughter today. So far, so good! No leaks, and her booty was dry when I took the dipe off. I've never had that with any other dipe, including 'sposies. Linda is an awsome momma too, so that's a big in my book.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 AM

These are my absolute favorite pocket dipes!! We have 1 of the first style, 1 with leg casings and 8 of the most recent style (only 2 are the new laminated PUL). We love them all.

Cute prints, great fleece. We use them in the day and at night too. They always keep DD's bum DRY!!

Pepper
Old 05-12-2003, 01:08 PM

Big success last night with my 41 lb 3.5 yo who still pees all night. (That's a lot of pee, mamas.)

His XL Happy Heiny's kept him dry, pajamas dry, bed dry, and still looked cute in the morning.

He is very excited about the cute prints, and I'm glad that is taking some of the negativity out of our pt relationship.

I also have a pocket trainer... will edit this post with more info once we use it.

But whew, that big boy pee stanks!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:50 PM

I am an HH convert! We had been using FBs at night but they started leaking, and the M size was too small when stuffed even though DD only weighs 16 lbs. We now have M and L HHs....the M fits great. The Ls are on the cusp of being too big, but we use them anyway because the prints are CUTE and we can stuff them to the gills (hemp) and they still fit (although they go down past her knees - but she's not walking in bed so that's okay!). The most important thing: she and our bed are not soaked in the morning!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:33 PM

i have a one HH for Ella and i really like it, it's the only aplix diaper i like! I've never had a leak!

i also have a few for my 3 yr old who still need to wear a diaper at night, and she really likes the prints, and she's a super soaker, so i need something that can work and these do!

i plan on buying more for Ella, i would have more but all the prints i really love are usually sold out in her size! Poor timing on my part.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 AM

I just used my 1st HH for the night-----it was outstanding! I stuffed it with a CPF and a doubler (I was nervous). DD's heiny was dry even tho the diaper was soaked in the am. AWESOME. It was my first pocket style dipe, I plan to pick up some more so I can use them more often.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been a fan of Happy Heiny's since they first came out a year and a half ago. Linda's diapers have proven to be effective, easy to use and adorable. Her quality control is fantastic and she offers customer support directly if you have any problems (rather than a 'customer service agent' or deferring you to the retailer from where you purchased it). These are the only aplix diapers I own. They never scratch my son's legs or belly like so many others I've tried. We even have a trainer that we use for a swim diaper. Her products are top notch and I highly recommend trying one if you haven't yet.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:53 AM

I absolutely adore my HH... Umm, I mean Zacharyand Kimberly both love HH!! LOL...
We bought 2 pocket trainers for kimber, and although they were a bit too small (child must have gotten her thighs from me!), she would choose them over sposie trainers every time I asked. She loved putting them on, wearing them and would talk nonstop about how beautiful and soft they were. (And they are!)
The trainers have plenty of room for stuffing, as long as your hands are small, but dads might have problems stuffing trainers...

The HH dipes I bought for Zack have turned out to be my favorite investment, even more worth it than an aristocrat! (And I LOVE my aristocrat!) They are gorgeous prints, soft on the inside and they keep my bed dry!! More importantly, weve never had an early morning breastfed poop leak out of a HH. That was a huge issue with the Aristocrat, a wet dipe just doesnt "catch" the poo before it rages downstream and out a leg or up the back... Just not happened with our HH, the fleece is great at catching it and giving me a few minutes to change him.

Lindas customer service is awesome, as is that of her retailers that Ive dealt with. This is a top quality product, and one dipe I love to show off!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:14 AM

I bought some HH's way back when they had an inner layer of PUL. They were so cute and I loved the look, but eventually sold them off to a mothering.com mama due to wicking issues. When I heard about the new laminated ones I had to give them another try. I LOVE them! Ds (a super soaker) wakes up dry in the morning. I invested in a bunch more, b/c they are now the workhorse of my "idiot proof diaper system" meaning that dh, the sitter or anyone else who is doing the changing doesn't have a problem with figuring these babies out and getting a good fit. And they are *so* cute (and we all know how important that is in a diaper. ).

If you do have an issue with the diapers, Linda is a dream to deal with for any customer service.

2 thumbs way, way up!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:19 PM

I heard raves about Happy Heinys and bought a print off of ebay that that works great (the older three layer kind). I recently purchased two new bug prints that are 'crunchy' - way stiff! The back where the elastic is sewn in is scratchy and I just can't see using this one on my boy. I contacted Linda to let her know and she did explain the difference in that print (that the bug print was worse than the others) but I still think I'll sell them because I can't possibly put something so rough on my baby. Maybe I'll try her solid PUL's because I've heard they are great.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:42 PM

I have a solid PUL and it does feel much softer than the prints I have. They are not "crunchy," but just a little stiff. I like the way the elastic is sewn in the solid better than in the print too, straight across instead of the zig-zag, but Im not sure if thats the way all of them are done.
The differences (how Linda explained) comme from the fact that the solids are knit and the prints are woven, but they are both cotton...

Also, to avoid the gathered back from being irritating I usually pull a bit of the fleece through so its between DS and the gathers. I like that only fleece touches him, and havent had a wicking problem because of it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:57 PM

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted these to work. They are soooo cute and well made. Linda was great to work with.

But, I just could not get a good fit. But, I will try again later.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:44 PM

We love our Happy Heiny's! These diapers are great. We use them during the day with 1 joeybunz and at night with a premium samuel soaker. I switched Dd to cloth at 21 months and this is by far our favorite diaper for her. It makes up the majority of our stash now. Easy to use, trim, no leaks, and super cute!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:28 PM

I my Happy Heinys! HHs are the only thing I will use at night, and they work perfectly with 2 hemp inserts. These fit my son so well and I hardly ever have a nighttime leak.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:14 PM

I have had 4 HH. 2 older ones with cotton, 1 new laminated print and one PUL. I have had leaking and wicking with all but the PUL. Also the elastic in the back digs into my dd and leaves horrible red marks. I sold all but the PUL. I would not reccommend the prints, but the PUL works great.
Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:43 PM

I just thought I'd give an update to my 'Happy Heiny experience'... I recently got a PUL (solid) and I love, love, love it. The bug print I got still isn't for me but I've been told the other prints aren't as stiff so maybe it is just that one. Glad I tried the solid because they are truly as wonderful as everything I've heard they were.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:26 AM

I LOVE these diapers! I just bought my first one a couple weeks ago, and I was skeptical. The picture just didn't look like it would be a good fitting diaper. Well, I was WRONG!

I got a medium for my 18 pound girl, and it fits like a glove. I use it at night with two joey bunz and we haven't had a leak yet.

I just ordered two more, although this time I'm going to try the larges. The medium JUST fits my 18 pounder, so I suspect she'll outgrow it soon.

BTW, being a snap person -- I was surprised I liked the velcro. My one problem with fuzzy bunz was that the snaps were really being stretched if the diaper was stuffed at all. Snapping the diaper on the smallest snap would cause the rise part to pull down and make the leg openings too big. With HH and her velcro, this dosn't happen at all. All night long we have a nice, smooth fitting top of the diaper hugging her belly.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:45 PM

If DS didn't tear aplix off at the speed of light, we'd still have him in these exclusively.

Wonderful, cute, well made dipe! I haven't had one leak and they really helped when DS was having a nasty time with rashes. I can't say enough how cute they are and they fit like a glove!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:30 AM
C99

Another HH-lover here! I have 3 of the mediums in solid red and I love them. In fact, I just ordered 1/2 dozen more in the large size, and am looking forward to trying the HH Stuffins as well. Contrary to most CDers, I much prefer velcro to snaps (as does my husband!), so Linda's pocket diapers really fit the bill. They are so easy to use and adjust on my little changing-table squirmer.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:07 PM

I have 4 (print) Happy Heinys and I really like them. I use them mainly for going out - they are VERY leakproof with a couple of Joeybunz in the pocket. The fit and sewing is great, too. I have 4 different prints, and some are softer than others. The back waistband is pretty rough because of the stiffness of the fabric, but I just pull the fleece lining up a little and it protects DD's waist. These are stiff because the print is actually laminated - but the benefit to this is NO wicking! These wash really well, too (except I have noticed the aplix getting a little pilly? But that is covered up when the diaper is on.) Another benefit - the print ones look awesome as swim diapers!
I hope Linda comes out with a ton more cute prints, I will definitely buy more!

XOXO
Old 08-23-2003, 11:47 AM

I just bought 2 like new laminated print HH off the trading post (both the baseball print). The fabric is a bit stiff, but we LOVE these diapers! I got brave and used them at night, and they worked like a charm, when even an Aristocrat has leaked for my DS (same amount of absorbency inside). I am SOOOO impressed, I will be buying a few more of these!

I should buy them for my daycare provider since I provide her exclusively with AIOs and pocket diapers, but I have been hoarding my HH at home, I like them so much

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I bet they fit skinny kiddos better than chunky ones. That is why the mamas I bought them from sold them. The L fits my DS perfectly, and he is tall and skinny, just about 26 lbs at 26 months.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 PM

We really love our HH here as well. I'm using the size S on my 12 lb. 2 month old and they still look like they will fit for a while. My 26 lb. 2 year old can still fit in a M or a L so these definitely have good size range. We did have some wicking with the prints when DS was going through a no holds barred peeing spree, but now that he is wetting lightly again, no problems. I do like the feel of the solids much better than the prints though, unless they were knit prints, then they were pretty soft.

I have not have any breastfed poopies escape though toddler peanut butter poop can tend to make it's way out on occasion.

My only complaint for the diaper is the back elastic. It is sewn in way too tightly and makes red marks and creates that "poof" look in the butt.

Oh, and I love aplix. It's so adjustable and very easy to put on. With 2 in diapers, these work fabulously.

User Tag List