Mother-ease - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-06-2003, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Mother-ease one-size diapers for almost four years now and they are easy but not absorbent enough for a heavy wetter, even with the liner snapped-in. They dry as quickly as prefolds in the dryer and are a good diaper for light wetters- easy to change and they fit well on my dd from 3 months until she potty-trained at 31 months. The leg bindings are very soft and are nice because they have no ruffles.

They are getting thin after being washed for a few years and are even less absorbent- my ds is a heavy wetter so they aren't working well. I use them as a wrap by putting a folded infant chinese prefold inside. They'd be good for travelling because they dry quickly.

I believe success with these depends on having a light or avg. wetter. They didn't fit well on a newborn under 10-lbs, either.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#2 of 33 Old 05-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Banned

I ordered the one size sampler package from ME probably a year ago. I wasn't too impressed with the diaper when I first saw it but have grown to like it more & more. I like the Air Flow cover immensely, it fits over every diaper & the PUL seems stronger than my Proraps.

I've never tried the ME one size on a newborn, I imagine it would be very bulky, but it fits my toddler well & makes for a nice trim diaper. I like the stretch terry & think that this is a great, basic diaper.
#3 of 33 Old 05-06-2003, 06:50 PM

I got one of the one size diapers and i was not impressed. It did not fit my baby very well and there is no way it would have fit him the recomended amount of time. It was also not very absorbant. I would not buy this again.
#4 of 33 Old 05-06-2003, 11:28 PM

I admit it. I love my ME one size! We use them almost exclusively. We have honestly _never_ had a leak with them, even from the beginning when ds was leaking through every other diaper we had tried at night. All we add at night is a snap-in liner and we're good to go for the whole night long. They dry fast, which I love, and they're pretty trim during the day without an extra liner. We also use the air flow covers and love them. Fit over every diaper we have and the PUL is so soft compared to some other covers. All in all, we're very satisfied!
#5 of 33 Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM

I have used ME OS on my 10 month old DS he was about a month old (10lbs). They fit well until he started thinning out in the thighs, and now they're a bit gappy so that if he has a liquidy poop, we have a leak. Before that, they held in everything.

I like them, but I think of them as a workhorse. They're predictable, but not the most absorbant, and not my favorite.

I have used several sizes of the ME Air Flow and Rikki Wrap covers. I love the Air Flow. If the diaper misses anything, the Air Flow almost certainly holds it in. The side snaps make it easy to get a good fit, and they may be poofy, but when covered with clothing, they're not very bulky.

My DH is a big fan of the Rikki Wrap. They also hold in everything, but I don't like the velcro, just because I don't like velcro. DH thinks the velcro makes it easier to put the cover on. It's a matter of preference. Also, you can lay a trifolded CPF in a Rikki Wrap.
#6 of 33 Old 05-07-2003, 11:14 PM

I have a few One Size diapers and an Air Flow cover. The cover is OK - no leaks or wicking but it tends to leave red marks on my DS's skin. However I must add that I have this problem with almost every PUL cover I have - I think he has sensitive skin.

I don't like the diapers very much, though. They aren't very absorbent and they gap big time around his legs. I would say my DS is on the average to slim side.
#7 of 33 Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 PM

I have used ME AIO's for day use for over a year now and love them!
I have tried many dipes and although these are quite plain-jane looking, they are reliable, trim, and so easy to get on...
mine have been washed and dried hundreds of times and they are holding up great!
I also really like the Airflow covers. I use these over a fitted diaper at night sometimes and find them also to be superbly reliable and high-quality.
I think Mother-ease diapers are a great investment!
#8 of 33 Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 AM

These are a popular one I thought we should have a thread on. These were some of the first fitteds I tried. They don't have all the "bells and whistles" that some other one size diapers and fitteds have (prints ect) but I consider them a good staple diaper. They have always been a good fit on my son, I wish the doubler was a bit more substantial, as I feel the need to use a better doubler or just add an extra now that my son is getting older. They seem to hold on to stains a bit more than my other diapers.

Another thing I like about these diapers is that they don't have ruffles that you have to tuck in to your cover like many fitted diapers.

All in all, I consider these a very nice one size diaper, not as absorbant as some, but a great value for the cost.
#9 of 33 Old 05-09-2003, 03:20 PM

I love love love my ME AF cover. They are so lightweight and preathable. These are the only covers that I would use except that DH prefers velcro.

I'm not so fond on ME OS. Now that my dd doesn't need to have the front folded over the fit is fine but they are nowhere near absorbant enough even with the snap in liner. I also suspect that the high polyester content tends to hold stink and stains longer that with prefolds.
#10 of 33 Old 05-12-2003, 03:56 PM

I have one ME OS with liner and an AF cover.

The cover is great--goes over all my fitteds, fits well, doesn't leave red marks and has never leaked.

The diaper is ok. It's not all that absorbent, but I can just pop in a hemp fleece doubler and it's fine. It's one of my quickest drying diapers, so that helps if I wait a bit too long to wash diapers and need something ready fast.

We didn't start cd until dd was 14 months, so I'm not sure how the fit will be on a smaller baby. It seems that it would be a bit bulky since the crotch is so wide. I also wonder how well it will hold in bf poop since the edges are bound and don't seem quite as snug as some of my "ruffled" diapers.

But given the price, availability and resale value of these diapers, I would say they're a good deal to help round out your stash.
#11 of 33 Old 05-19-2003, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the Me OS. I dont use their cover because the leg holes are mighty tight but the diaper I like with a wool cover over it. Its abosorbant and holds up through many washings.

Desiree

#12 of 33 Old 05-22-2003, 11:14 AM

Sandy's diapers
XS are a great fit on a newborn
XS, S, and M all have fairly high rise
side-snapping, but small range of fit - it would be nice to be able to make the waist tighter and the thighs looser!
quickly saturated, but they easily accommodate a thick doubler
fast dry time
great for holding BF poop!

One-Size diapers
I don't like the OS dipes - they have all of the cons of the Sandy's but none of the pros. Additional cons include bulkiness on a newborn, very wide crotch, and poor fit around the legs.

Rikki wrap (velcro) and Airflow cover (side snaps)
velcro wrap - nice, trim fit
snapping cover - roomy enough to cover any diaper, but tends to leave elastic marks on baby's waist
both wraps - babies with chunky thighs may outgrow the leg openings quickly
ME's cover material tends to attract pet hair

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#13 of 33 Old 05-25-2003, 12:50 AM

If they were made of a different fabric, I would love them (the one size) but I don't like the poly blend fabric they use. Not as absorbent as we need for bean.

Great fit, though!
#14 of 33 Old 05-28-2003, 10:43 PM

i have several ME airflow covers and about 6 small sandy's, i found these worked the best for me at night time when ella was a newborn, and i was struggling to keep her dry at night.
i still use these, and my husband feels these are easy to use as well.
i also use the airflow covers quite a bit over prefolds and it's a very trim and reliable cover. No leaks.
#15 of 33 Old 08-08-2003, 03:37 PM

Can't say enough good things about the Air-Flow cover. I've never, ever, ever had a leak no matter how bad the explosion, and even with a totally soaked fitted or prefold underneath. I use these almost exclusively.

The main "workhorse" of my stash is ME OS. They aren't the fanciest diapers, and they have a reputation for being not very absorbant. Yet despite trying a variety of fancier dipes, I honestly have found nothing that is so much better as to render my OS obsolete. They fit my DD well, although we are on the last snap now (hopefully now that she's walking she'll slim up a bit and not get too big for them).

I actually like these diapers. They do the job and that's really all that matters.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#16 of 33 Old 09-03-2003, 03:20 PM

Our OS have been really good to us - I got some used & we use them daily for toddler naps. No they are not incredibly absorbent, but they are easy to use and I like the finished edges.

AF cover also great. Ours are beat to shreds but still very waterproof and very usable.

The charmlessly named "bedwetter pants" are tough as old boots, I can't believe how well ours are holding up. The insert-thingy stretches after a while but they still work well, again ours are in daily use.

We did not use these until past the "fold-over" stage so I have no recommendations on how they'd fit on smaller babies - what others have posted sounds about right though.

Forgot to say that I was shocked by the appearance of the bedwetters when I first got them - they seemed really cheezy compared to the OS. But I forgot about it quickly because they worked!
#17 of 33 Old 09-04-2003, 12:54 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I wish I had found them with my son! They'd be my one and only system!

My daughter has been wearing them for about 2 months now, and the absorbancy has improved greatly! I think you just have to wash them several times to get to max absorbancy.

The legs on the ME OS are soft "training pants" type material that is so comfy on my daughter's legs. The Sandy's we use at night with one doubler and it lasts all night long! The AF covers are great, as are the Rikki's, but they do attract pet hair. Not a big deal for us, since dd rarely is in ONLY a diaper and no pants.

The AIO's, at first glance, look very flimsy and like they wouldn't hold in an ant's pee. But, they really are very absorbant. I was pleasantly surprised.

And, these diapers really hold their value! On ebay, you always see bid wars on them. It makes it hard to find a good deal! And, in all reality, I'd rather buy them used so that they have been broken in and washed already.

I LOVE these diapers!
#18 of 33 Old 10-06-2003, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i found the onesize to be absolutely huge on a newborn, until they were at least over 12 lbs, especially huge across the crotch. they dry super quick, which is great, but also not so absorbent on my toddler... needs at least 2 doublers

like the sandy's much better, more absobent, better fit... i love side snapping dipes!

and of course, LOVE the air flow covers, this is all i use!!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#19 of 33 Old 02-21-2004, 06:03 PM

Sandy's
I really like this diaper. I have skinny, long kids and they worked great for us. They were not too high in the rise, and I never had a problem adjusting the leg or waist to fit in the size range they were meant to fit in.
They are very durable and hold poop in well. They hold enough for the average daytime peer, IMO.
I like that the wings are not really long like EVERY other side snap diaper I've tried. I don't like the extra on the belly and poop getting on the wings.

Air Flow
Best cover I've ever owned for durability and not leaking/wicking. Great fit on my skinny kids (never had the red marks others have had). Allows for air to escape and get in.
They do attract pet hair, but I usually have clothing on my kids' bums, so it's not usually a problem.
To me, both the diapers and covers last for quite a large size range and overlap, so they are economical for us.
Rikky wrap
Again, most reliable for not leaking or wicking. Velcro is not as durable as the snaps (the rest of the cover is very durable, though). Super lightweight, soft fit (great for a newborn).
My only minor problems with these is no foldback laundry tabs, velcro curls off at corners and scratches MOM when baby doesn't have clothes over it (never scratched the baby, though), and I'd prefer if the velcro tabs were horizontal instead of vertical.
#20 of 33 Old 02-23-2004, 12:48 AM

I love the motherease diapers! I started my dd off with the xsmall sandies with the rikki covers. They fit her from the start and she was just under 7 lbs. We then moved on the the one size diapers and the airflow cover. We never had a leak with these diapers, even overnight. The one thing about ME diapers is you have to wash them a lot before they are absorbant.
#21 of 33 Old 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM

Ok, some people seem to be able to edit their replies, but I cannot, so let me add to my review:
Training pants
These are nice and soft and were easy for my son to pull down and up, but they didn't hold more than a small accident.

Bedwetter Pants
These are the best I've tried. They hold a lot of urine and are so comfortable for my daughter. They are easy for her to take off and put on, and have never leaked. Really poofy, though. :LOL

Oh, and I spelled Rikki wrong. Really? No editing here? It's driving me bonkers!
#22 of 33 Old 02-29-2004, 10:57 PM

I just have to say that I love the ME OS! I have a couple of Sandy's and altho I like them as well I find them bulkier harder to get a good fit. Granted, my ds is a bit of a bean pole . I like the Rikki wrap more so than the airflow as I find it easier to get a trimmer fit. The downside is that ds can undo the velcro.

Great value for the price and I have NEVER had a leak with these fellas!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#23 of 33 Old 03-06-2004, 12:17 AM

Sandys

I tried the small Sandys as my first cd and I loved them. No BF poop even gets onto the cover. Excellent dipe.

The larges were bulkier than what I like, so I switched to a different system when ds sized up.

I plan to use the small Sandys with our next baby and am looking for some xs as well.

One Size

I had some of these when ds was smaller and did not care for them in comparison to the Sandys. Now, ds is bigger and I actually like these fairly well.

Air Flow covers

LOVE THEM, never leak and hold up well

Rikki wraps

did not like the wide, stiff velcro across my baby's tummy, so returned it
#24 of 33 Old 03-08-2004, 04:51 AM

I just love the fit of the small Sandy's on my 6 month old. He has a 15 1/2 inch rise, 15 3/4 inch waist and 8 1/2 inch thighs. I find it trim and absorbant enough for my light wetter. Definitely a favorite!
#25 of 33 Old 04-06-2004, 11:00 AM

I exclusively use ME OS dipes and they are very much workhorse dipes. With the snap in liners they absorb as much as a CPF once they are fully broken in (which takes a *long* time). At around $9 each they are economical, moreso because they are onesize dipes, and they are very well made. I used them for a little over a year on my oldest, and when I got them back out to use on my baby there were no signs of wear on any of the dipes. They are working great for her. I've heard of them lasting through 2 or more kids.

ME dipes sometimes get a bad rap. Some people say they don't absorb well, but I think it's because they were not fully broken in. You can't just follow the instructions that come with them and wash them once or twice and expect them to work. It takes at least 7 washes in my home to get them working.

But after being broken in, my dipes absorb really well. Without the liner they are good my 2 month old for a couple hours at least. With liners they held up just fine for with my then-2.5 year old. You really do need a liner for an older child. I wish they came this way and you didn't have to order them separately.

At night I line a OS dipe with a JB and it will last for up to 10 hours. Two nights ago I ran out of my ME dipes (because I forgot to transer them to the dryer) so I tried a *premium* prefold with a JB. It didn't hold up as well overnight as a OS with JB. I had to change it at 3 AM because it was soaked.

I used these from 7 pounds with my newborn. They were a bit bulky in front but then you can't expect a OS dipe to fit like a newborn fitted dipe. The bulk was really not that bad, and after I got it all tucked into a cover it fit fine. The terrycloth is wonderful for preventing poop explosions with a newborn. Really grabbed it and held it in.

One more thing about Mother-Ease is if you buy a dozen dipes they will give you one for free! Their customer service is great. They replied to my email within 24 hours and are wonderful about exchanging things.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#26 of 33 Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Sandies
I love these for nightime - I have to put a hemp doubler in, but they absorb lots and the fit is great. I like the wings better than any other side-snap dipe I have - none of that extra material to get in the way.
One-size
These work well for us during the day. I don't have any problem with absorbancy, but I got mine used so maybe that's why. I love the one-snap front closure. I HATE doing up a billion snaps on a wiggly toddler. Have to use the snap-in liner though.
Airflow cover
Cannot say enough good things about this cover. It NEVER NEVER NEVER leaks, fits great. Boring colours, but I will soon try and paint one (gasp!) That should help.
Rikki cover
Didn't use these much at all. My ds was 16 months with a big belly when we switched and the velcro would always rub his belly, thighs or both. Also, I couldn't get the prefolds to stay up when laid in the wrap (maybe it was me - I was a newbie - but I've tried since and can't make it work).

Altogether good products. Readily available, reasonably priced, and MADE IN CANADA!! Yay!
#27 of 33 Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 AM

Bedwetter pants are amazing! I have used 6 pr. for 3yrs. and they are just beggining to wear. Never leak either. The Sandys however wore out with just one kid (thin spots). I love the side snap covers though, they never leak.
#28 of 33 Old 09-25-2004, 09:25 PM

I my Airflows. Never had a leak, and they fit well and wash well.

I have used ME OS as the staple of my stash since ds was born (22mos) and they are a good diaper. I went through a phase where I didn't like them only because I wanted to try new things, but have gone back to them, and am very pleased with their performance. They fit well and are very economical for fitted diapers. They aren't the most absorbant I've used (and mine have been washed dozens of times), and ds is starting to outgrow them, but he's 32lbs, so they're pretty true to their size estimates. Wish I'd saved myself some money and just stuck with them right through, actually. They are very bulky on a newborn (and ds was 10lbs 10ounces at birth), I couldn't get a lot of his sleepers over them, and they looked so uncomfortable.

I have one Sandy's, and it's also a good diaper, but by no means trim. Fits well, and is a great alternative to the OS if you want side snaps, or a two sized system.

ITA about their customer service. It's always been very prompt (they shipped the toddler dipes I ordered the day I placed it, and confirmed within an hour that they were shipping that day).
#29 of 33 Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 AM

I love the Sandy's AND the OS dipes. They worked great for my 2 sons, both average wetters I'd say. The AirFlows are nice for daytime, outings and such, wool worked best for nighttime covers. I enjoyed the trim fit, slim appearance and sturdiness in construction (as I bought them used to begin with, and they lasted through 2 kids). I think the BEST thing about them is that a friend bought them for nearly what I paid for them in the first place and SHE'S happy with them, too!!! Thumbs way up!
#30 of 33 Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 PM

I love my AIO! I got my first set as hand me downs from sil. she used them for 2-3 yrs., then ds#1 used them for 41/2 yrs. I was then able to hand them down to a mother down the street.

They hold blowouts really great, they were the only ones that dh agreed to use. And if I can get him to use cd, then I'm sticking w/them

( Also, I can count on one hand how many leaks we had for 4rs. of nightime use)

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page