Sugar Peas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-12-2003, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE
Well I decided to try these once again because I simply loved the design of the cover and snap-ins. Well they work great on stinker now that he is older. I highly recommend these for babies 6 months and older. I think they are AWESOME! I love all her new embroidered covers and she is very sweet to deal with, Carrie that is. I now have three covers and 10 snap ins with another cover on the way. I love them and you will too.

I bought a sugar peas cover and two peas for this pod. Well the fit is not as good as I was expecting, heard tons of good things about these. The diapers (peas) and cover (pod) are wonderfully sewn and a truly great design but it is not working for us and here is why. The front part of the pod (cover) has no elastic so it droops in a big way, the legs are hard to fit, but then my son has chubby legs but I thought most babies did. Anyway my son did a poop in it and it leaked out the legs and out the back of the diaper and cover onto all his clothing. IT truly was GROSS! I was not thrilled. The cover and inserts are size medium which is the size he is but it just does not fit well and it most certianly does not hold his poop! LOL! I do not know if I just have a really oddly shapped fellow or if this is a problem that needs to be addressed but there are certain blow out issues for us with this diaper set and we will not be purchasing anymore.
#2 of 26 Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 PM

I have a Sugarpeas hemp fitted and wool cover. Both are well made and nice to look at. Quality workmanship.

The diaper, a size 2, does not fit my DD well, despite her also being a bit on the chunky side. I'm not sure whether it's b/c the dipe is just too big, but it just isn't working well for us. The hemp material is not soft, it's sort of rough to the touch, despite many washings. I have another hemp fleece dipe that feels very soft in comparison. The fleece on the doubler is very nice, however, and keeps her bottom pretty dry, even when the dipe is soaked. The diaper is also very thin, which one would think makes it trim, but because it doesn't fit DD well, it's really not noticeably trimmer than our other dipes. And finally, I was really disappointed with the absorbancy. I thought hemp was supposed to be super absorbant, but this dipe lasts no longer than my ME. It also has a tendency to leak a bit with bad poops - we've not had much luck with serged edges so I thought it might just be that. But I've recently received another brand of fitted dipe with serged edges and it's holding up well, making me suspect it's the lack of good fit with the Sugarpeas that is the problem. I won't be buying any more of these.

The cover is so pretty, but is quite bulky. I don't use it under pants, but it looks nice under a dress. Wool is turning out to be not very useful for us, since DD a heavy wetter. I don't think it's the fault of this cover. Nice material, quality workmanship. It's just not working well for us, but I think for those who like wool it's a good one to have in the stash.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed in such a highly sought-after and raved-about diaper. Maybe the hype is not good, as I had high expectations for it, and simply don't like it now.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 26 Old 07-19-2003, 12:08 AM

My two-next-week son has finally grown out of his size 1 SugarPeas (he's about 24 lbs now, and quite skinny), and we certainly got good use out of these. They were an excellent fit on him for months when nothing else worked and was trim. I loved the print outers that Carrie made before she transformed into a cottage sewn business, and I have both hemp/cotton fleece and organic sherpa. The absorbency is good for the bulk, and I will look forward to using these on a newborn if we are lucky enough to have another. The size 2 diapers are way huge on him; I sold the one I ordered immediately: the size 2 seems not to just be a larger version of size 1, but the proportion of things seems to be different to me.

At first I was sure that the medium wool covers and the snap ins were going to be our perfect system, and I stalked the store (before it transformed, when Carrie was making everything) to acquire quite a few covers and snap ins. At first, when my son was about 14 months, I thought that the covers and snap ins were bulky, but worked well. As he grew taller and a bit leaner, I had trouble getting the legs snug enough and it seemed that the wool flannel covers (as opposed to the wool jersey covers) were just to stiff for such an active toddler. I started using them only at night, and they worked great: with an extra doubler, I never had a leak. The snap ins, like all WIO's I have tried, don't do a perfect job at keeping poop off the covers. Even though I loved looking at them, the fit issue (made more difficult because the front of the cover is flat, without elastic) and the bulk issue made me end up selling them all. Because they are so highly sought after, I was able to sell my used (in excellent condition) items for about what I paid for them.

I think that the fitted diapers (size 1) are great, especially if you have a skinny baby/toddler (you can get many many months of use out of them). Even though they are beautiful and well made, I think that there are other wool covers out there that fit better and are more comfortable. I think the design would be improved with front elastic, especially for wool flannel covers. The wool jersey covers seemed more comfortable in the flat front, but the front would slip down, and the snap in (because it attaches in back, not the front) would slide down inside the cover.

Karla
#4 of 26 Old 08-01-2003, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68
The diaper, a size 2, does not fit my DD well, despite her also being a bit on the chunky side. I'm not sure whether it's b/c the dipe is just too big, but it just isn't working well for us. The hemp material is not soft, it's sort of rough to the touch, despite many washings. I have another hemp fleece dipe that feels very soft in comparison. The fleece on the doubler is very nice, however, and keeps her bottom pretty dry, even when the dipe is soaked. The diaper is also very thin, which one would think makes it trim, but because it doesn't fit DD well, it's really not noticeably trimmer than our other dipes. And finally, I was really disappointed with the absorbancy. I thought hemp was supposed to be super absorbant, but this dipe lasts no longer than my ME. It also has a tendency to leak a bit with bad poops - we've not had much luck with serged edges so I thought it might just be that. But I've recently received another brand of fitted dipe with serged edges and it's holding up well, making me suspect it's the lack of good fit with the Sugarpeas that is the problem. I won't be buying any more of these.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed in such a highly sought-after and raved-about diaper. Maybe the hype is not good, as I had high expectations for it, and simply don't like it now.
Ditto to pretty much everything you said! I was not impressed with the SugarPeas fitteds diapers at all. They do not fit my chunky son well at all, nor were they absorbent. And, I have an average wetter. The hemp is rough and the diaper is bulky. I won't be buying again either. I am thinking of trying a cover, but after reading some reviews, I may reconsider.
#5 of 26 Old 10-04-2003, 01:46 AM

I have a size two fitted, and it is huge on my baby as well, but I thought it was just because he is skinny. Poop leaked out the leg holes, and he wasn't able to sleep through the night in it, which is what I bought it for. I thought it was just because I hadn't washed it enough times, but it has not improved with multiple washings. I am still looking for the ideal hemp fitted, or other night system.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#6 of 26 Old 10-10-2003, 03:21 PM

I love hemp fleece, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the softness or absorbency of the SP fitteds. But the size 2's were humongous on my 20 lb DS, there was no way to make them fit right, even with the front flap folded down to make it smaller. Just FYI- when ordering, keep in mind that the size 2's are HUGE! They should be considered X-Large. And the Snap Pea's don't really fit my DS well, either. They gape at the legs, so of course everything leaks onto the cover, or the clothes, or the floor. I've heard so many mamas rave over SP's, so I'm sure my dilemma is just a fit problem. The sizing is confusing- SP's are really made for BIG kids. I do LOVE the covers, though! Over a Growing Greens fitted, both the SP fleece and wool covers are awesome! I just think these diaps are like anything else, they work for certain people but not for others.
My grade:
fitteds= C
snap-ins= B
covers= A

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#7 of 26 Old 10-12-2003, 04:09 AM

Wow... I really love the two SP wool covers I have, and the size 2 fitted dipes fit my 28#, very tall DD perfectly. And I have had great luck with the snap-peas as well. I guess it really must be all about the child's build, because these are SO great for DD!!! I'm trying like crazy to get another cover (coveting the sunflower with sage trim...) and a few more fitted dipes so that I can use SP as my main at-home system, and BBH AIOs for on the go. The SP dipes are SO soft, and I haven't had any problems with droop, despite the flat front. But that's probably because my DD has a bit of a Budda-belly. Anyway, I'm sorry to know that so many people are having trouble with them, but honestly... not TOO sorry, because that means there are a few less of you all to compete with when the store stocks!

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#8 of 26 Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 AM

I liked my SP wool cover in the beginning, but it shrunk (even with me following washing instructions) on me
I liked them for night time covers (before shrinkage). I was smart & unloaded (for lots of $) them at the height of the SP peak.
#9 of 26 Old 10-31-2003, 06:41 PM

I love, love, love, my size large sp wool cover. dd is 24 lbs and the fit is perfect on the second to smallest snap setting. After an initial lanolization it is nicely waterproof. I find the fit to be really trim compared to many other wool flannel side snap covers that I've tried. I use it under cd friendly clothes without any problem.

Edited to add that I've now also tried an SP size 2, fits my tallish, now 26 lb 18 mo dd, on the lower row of snaps on the smallest setting. I do have wing droop problems with this diaper but we have this problem with all single row front snap diapers lately.

I bought this diaper very used and the fabric is pretty scratchy (pretty typical of hemp fabrics sewn fuzzy side out), not sure how long it took to get that way....

I consider this an OK- workhorse sort of diaper. I'm happy with it because I got it cheap but wouldn't go out and buy more new ones because of the imperfect fit and because I don't like how the fabric aged.
#10 of 26 Old 12-02-2003, 09:06 PM

I have a size 2 sugarpeas hemp fitted and I have found that it works perfectly and fits wonderfully on my just barely 21 pound 18 month old. It is the first dipe I reach for when it is clean. It fits her on the very smallest snap setting so we will get a TON of use out of it. In fact I just ordered another one since I like it so much.
#11 of 26 Old 12-27-2003, 08:58 PM

I had 4 SP hemp diapers and 2 SP snap in hemp diapers. I liked them until I started getting other fitted diapers and found that others worked much better for us. So I sold the SP diapers off. I just wasn't overly thrilled with them.

However, I have several wool SP covers in medium (currently using) and made sure I picked up several wool SP covers in large for times to come....although not sure he'll ever get big enough to wear them.

I love the SP wool covers! They fit a really large size range and fit really well. I haven't had any problem with them fitting over any of my fitted diapers, including very very thick night time systems.

I wasn't too sure how I would like the wool flannel since I generally prefer jersey...but they have worked really well.
#12 of 26 Old 01-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

We are using the Sp hemp fitteds on our 1 week old newborn who is already soaking all other dipes but the SP. We are very pleased with them and love the little soaker pads. Carrie did a custom order for us and we appreciate her thoughtfullness there. These dipes look SO cute on our baby too. Well anything would look cute on a one week old. Hehe.
#13 of 26 Old 03-10-2004, 05:22 PM

I actually really love my SugarPeas covers and fitteds -- the fit is great under clothes, and the fitteds are very absorbent. The covers are my mainstays now, and I even use them in the car. They are easy to use and really cute, too. I posted a review earlier about the size 2 being big and not being able to use them overnight -- well, ds has grown, and I've given up on trying to find cloth for overnight, so they are my favorite ones to use. I want more of them, so I may try selling some of my less favored dipes.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#14 of 26 Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 PM

I bought a large fleece cover renetly and LOVE it. It's one layer of lightweight windpro, so not very bulky, and the windpro itself it neat because the outside is smooth and the inside is fuzzy. Also, the leg holes and back of the diaper are turned and seem very cmfortable because of it. There is serging is around the front where there's no elastic. I was a little worried about the front possibly drooping because it has no elastic, but it doesn't droop at all and is quite flat across the front. I think having elastic in the front makes everything poofier there, so I much prefer the design of this cover to many others. Now I just need to get more paypal so I can buy more!
Janine
#15 of 26 Old 03-18-2004, 04:05 AM

I own almost 2 dozen SP size 1 fitteds in hemp, hemp/prints, and organic cotton. These fitteds are wonderful on dd. We've been using them for a few months, so they're well broken in; they're often the first diapers I reach for. At 10 months, dd is 15.5 lbs, 27.5", waist 15", thighs 9.5", rise 15.5"; she's on the slender side. I really can't tell a difference in absorbancy between the organic and the hemp. The hemp is a bit trimmer, but only a bit - the organic cotton is a lot softer and more supple than the hemp. Because the dipes are so trim, they may not work well for a super-soaker. However, these are the only fitteds I own besides Fireflies, that fit under leggings and other slim-fitting pants.

I also own three single-layer Windpro covers from SP. There is a bit of sizing inconsistency between them (they are all mediums, buy only one fits dd right now while the other two are too big), but I spoke with Carrie about this and she stated that they have already changed the medium pattern to make it a bit smaller and truer to sizing. I will probably order another one at the next stocking!
#16 of 26 Old 03-26-2004, 12:34 AM

I bought a size 2 fitted from Carrie... the fit was off for my ds so i got wing droop and the fold down part left marks on him.... Now that was when he was 1 he is now 2 so i may try one again.... it was very well sewn and a very cute print just an odd fit.....

I also had a large wool cover....... again not the greatest fit and i am not fond of the feel of the wool...... (then again i do not have the woll Love) When he wore the cover it folded down in the front ..... I am assuming that is from no elastic int he front......
#17 of 26 Old 03-31-2004, 01:41 AM

I have some all hemp diapers and a wool cover from Sugarpeas.

I like the hemp diapers, though I have to add a doubler because my son is a super pee machine. I have used them overnight with two doublers before, but it wasn't my favorite night time solution.

I found that my dipes were getting a tad bit stiff as well as one of the pp's. I have started adding half a capful of Downey advanced to my rinse and it has solved that problem for all of my dipes.

The diapers fit well on my average sized son. He has a smaller belly and chunky thighs.

I LOVE my Sp wool cover... LOVE IT!!! It is so soft and yummy and just wears like iron. The wool is just gorgeous. I wish I didn't already have too many other wool covers and I could get more of hers!!

Lo
#18 of 26 Old 04-12-2004, 07:18 PM

I have a SP size 2 hemp fitted, and I love it! It is one of only 2 diapers that still fits my 36 pound 38inches tall 2-yearold. It works for over night as well.

The workmanship is excellent also.

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#19 of 26 Old 05-31-2004, 04:31 AM

I have been very very happy with all of my purchases from SugarPeas. We've used both size 1 and size 2 diapers, as well as S,M, and L covers in all the fabrics Carrie offers. I've never been disappointed with any of my items from her. The sewing is impeccable, the prices are reasonable, and she has wonderful customer service. I recommend these trim diapers to anyone who is beginning with cloth.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#20 of 26 Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 AM

I have several Front and Side Snap SP's, and wool and fleece covers. They really work well for my DD. She is about 16 lbs now, and she can fit in the Sz 1 front snap, and both the Sm and Med side snap. I am continuously trying new fitteds, but always go back to the SP's. My DD has a shorter rise, and they work wonderfully!!!! The leg snap location is low enough so I don't get a big gap for the poop to escape. The covers fit over the dipes perfectly. The wool is durable and soft, and the fleece (I only have the 2 layer) works great, although I think I like the wool better.

All in all, this is the dipe I keep buying over and over, so, A+ from me!
#21 of 26 Old 09-04-2004, 03:26 PM

I love the cut of the SP side snaps, but sadly I never have any luck with the serging on their diapers. It always loosends and unravels.

Otherwise, I would buy a ton more of these.
#22 of 26 Old 09-29-2004, 01:44 AM

The very first wool cover I bought was a SugarPeas jersey in size small - and it STILL fits my DD! I do love these covers. I also have a size medium two-layer flannel cover, and I just prefer the jersey, which is thick and stretchy while being totally bulletproof as far as leaks and wicking. I wish she was making more of that style, but I would highly recommend the flannel covers as well. The colors she uses are beautiful, nice for boys or girls. It's great that she's stocking through a few online stores now!
#23 of 26 Old 09-30-2004, 03:35 PM

I like the sugarpeas side snapping diapers a lot--great fit, and great absorbency. But they run really big. The size 1 front snappers are an amazing size range--they would nicely fit a small baby (I'm not sure newborn, but darn close to it) but it fits my chunky toddler on the smallest snaps without crossing over the wings, too! How does it do it? and super super super trim. I finally gave up my sugarpeas size 1s because the absorbency isn't enough anymore, but the fit was super.
The wool covers were scratchy and I didn't like the style in front because it without elastic you could look down and see the diaper underneath. I would like to try the merino jersey soon though!
#24 of 26 Old 10-21-2004, 04:20 PM

I recently purchased a dozen side snap organic cotton sugar peas in small and medium and have fallen in love with them! They are super soft and trim. I use the small size on my newborn and they rock! Not bulky at all, and even softer than the FCB 0's that I have. Plan to use them as my workhorse dipes. The best thing about them is that they are readily available and work just as well as some of the hyena dipes. The snaps are hidden - no snaps touch baby's skin.

I also own two custom-made wool jersey covers that are very soft and thin, yet work amazingly well. Highly recommend these!
#25 of 26 Old 11-15-2004, 12:29 AM

i really like our sugarpeas items. we have a few pea-in-the pod covers and snap ins and a few fitteds. all fit great and are well made. the newer items i have seem to have the softest fleece that isn't pilling! yay!
#26 of 26 Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 AM

I like Sugar Peas side-snapping fitteds as a good workhorse diaper. They're trim yet absorbant. They fit isn't as good as First Class Baby or Little Fishy on my DD, but it's still pretty good; I think I would like the fit better if the diapers if they had front elastic. I also wished that they had attached soakers because I found snapping soakers back into diapers after doing laundry to be a pain. And finally, I did have problems with sizing inconsistency. I have owned mediums that were smaller than my smalls, and mediums that were as big as larges--but maybe that problem has been fixed now. However, I really consider these problems to be small, and I'd still recommend them to someone looking for a trim, absorbant workhorse diaper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page