Front-loading vs. Top-loading Washing Machines - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 86 Old 05-13-2003, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what's the doubler? you have to buy the dipe and then the cover......can u translate that one?: how can u keep it from happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 86 Old 05-13-2003, 06:33 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your Fuz Egg--how tragic

On the Kenmore HE3t, you can set for extended spin and /or second rinse. I do the second rinse, but on my first wash, I don't opt for the super spin. The spinning is just getting the water out, according my manual. Wonder if I might try some more spinning? Hmmmm. Centrifugal force is something to behold! Life's little joys--watching the diapers swish and spin I agree completely that the spinning isn't harmful. My frontloader is extremely gentle on the laundry--it's amazing the experience the difference.

Sorry to be such a laundry nerd
:

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#63 of 86 Old 05-13-2003, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabmommie
what's the doubler? you have to buy the dipe and then the cover......can u translate that one?: how can u keep it from happening?
The doubler is what is sticking out of the top of the diaper in the first picture on this page: http://www.fuzbaby.com/diapering.htm

I am not sure how you can keep it from happening. I thought that using a front-loader was more gentle, which should help. Plus I line dry my dipes, which should help. I do use a strong detergent (Tide) but I don't use much. Who knows.

#64 of 86 Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 PM

Well, tried the COLD wash, teaspoon of Tide free, and Tbsp (or so) of baking soda. So guess what happened????

A machine full of total SUDS that won't go away---it's been 3 rinses!

What the is going on with me? I tried to theorize that since I used more baking soda than usual, it reacted with the acidity of the urine.....and bubbled. DH said I was definitely wrong. I'm not very happy tonight.

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#65 of 86 Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 AM

whoa, weird! I've never had many suds with my frontloader.

I have a Frigidaire Gallery series (I think). Here's my routine:

cold prewash with about 1/2 Tablespoon of bio-kleen
warm/cold heavy wash with 1 Tablespoon bio-kleen
extra rinse

Then I try everything except covers on high on the "towels" setting.

It seems to work well (no hemp diapers though). HTH, Kelly
#66 of 86 Old 05-14-2003, 12:34 AM

As far as it taking a long time, I put the dipes in the wash right before I go to bed, then put them in the dryer in the morning. I try to wash when I have about a day's worth of diapers left. That way if I have trouble getting down to dry them I can still manage.

Somebody with a Kenmore, can you tell me how to get the machine to do the prewash on cold, but the main wash on hot?

And what does HE mean?

Single mom by choice to Sophia, age 18, and Eleanor, age 12, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!
#67 of 86 Old 05-14-2003, 12:50 AM

I think the baking soda should be used as a presoak without the detergent. The baking soda acts as a water softener and you get more bubbles in softer water. That's my basic understanding... not a very scientific explanation, I know.
#68 of 86 Old 05-14-2003, 01:21 AM

HE means high efficiency.
#69 of 86 Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 AM

Sofiamama---I tried mine yesterday, and my prewash is cold and main hot when i program it for hot wash w/prewash. Have you ever checked the water temp? I have the HE3t---hope that helps!

Amy

PS it's the Tide free that makes all the suds---I cut the amount down to almost zero last night---still tons of suds!!!

#70 of 86 Old 06-26-2003, 06:01 PM

have squirmy, hair-munching baby in lap....

what are your likes/dislikes re these two kinds of machines? we need to buy a new machine and have heard the european front loaders that heat water are good (miele, AEG) but they are pricey. also someone mentioned that you can't presoak the diapers in them, but the salesman said you can just do an extra wash instead without soap. we will move soon and be on septic system so i guess the reduced water use would be good with the front-loaders, but my question is - do they get the diapers clean and non-stinky? we'll be on well water so i dont' know if that will make a difference with type of machine. also someone said that the american front loaders don't clean properly but the european ones do.
so i guess i'd like to know what are your experiences with front-loaders and diapers- like 'em or hate 'em? Are they worth the money or a waste of it?
Thanks,
Istamama.
#71 of 86 Old 06-26-2003, 06:16 PM

So who was it that is saying american front loaders don't clean as well? Based on what? We have a whirlpool duet designed and built in Germany. SO it is american or european?

I will never go back to a top loader, not after using both a maytag neptune and a whirlpool duet for the last 4 years. They far outclean and are much much gentler on clothes than any top loader I have ever used. They are also super capacity so you can put a huge amount of clothes or bedding in and they always are clean. They also save on water and detergent costs.

Your clothes tumble through and in and out of the water as opposed to being beaten by an agitator. They also come out of the wash almost dry and they stay newer for a lot longer. Front loaders are the best!!!!! I have not washed dirty dipes in them yet so others will have to attest to that.
#72 of 86 Old 06-26-2003, 07:16 PM

i love front loaders! have had less wear and tear on the crotch are of jeans as well as the cuffs(these areas often used to get shredded by top loaders). my dh's jeans last longer because of the front loader.

i have washed cashmere in my front loader...so i don't need to go to the dry cleaners anywhere near as much.

my dipes are clean and stains come out of clothing even if i didn't put stain remover until right before i washed.

i can clean entire blankets and down comforters in them without having to go to a laundromat to use their large capacity front loaders and the agitator won't shred into the fairly thin fabric of the down comforter.

umm as far as my kid's clothing...well it looks pretty stellar. i have pics of stuff she has outgrown and played in etc that i can send you a link to in case you are interested in seeing for yourself

okay i will stop with the advertising but can you tell i really really like front loaders

have fun making your decision..especially the shopping!
#73 of 86 Old 06-29-2003, 08:12 PM

about the american vs. european thing - it was someone from an internet diaper outlet - she'd heard it from her customers. she said some people love front loaders, some hate them - and those who hated them tended to have the american - made variety - i have no idea why.
Anyone else with ideas?
#74 of 86 Old 06-29-2003, 08:25 PM

Front Loaders rock! I have had one for 3 years, a Frigidare, highly rated by Consumer reports, cheaper than most other front loaders, with all the benefits. Clothes last longer and seem cleaner. I love the fact that I can wash such large loads and everything still gets clean! The water savings and using less detergent are great too! ( I buy 1 huge All Free at Sam's and that lasts me about 1 year!)

Front loaders are more expensive up front, but save you money in the long term. They are quieter than top loaders too.

#75 of 86 Old 06-29-2003, 09:45 PM

I have a Maytag Neptune and it! I will never go back to a top-loader. My water bills have gone down and I can wash mega-loads of laundry at a time. I have no complaints (except if you forget to put something in and have already started the machine--they lock so you cannot open them).
#76 of 86 Old 06-29-2003, 09:57 PM

I love my Fisher&Paykel washing machine. It is a New Zealand brand and is a top loader that is supposed to be as efficient as most front loaders. One of the things that I really like, especially for diapers, is that it has an INCREDIBLY fast spin cycle. My diapers come out very dry and I have no trouble getting my diapers dry in using one 50 minute dryer cycle on medium-high heat. Even hemp diapers and inserts.

When our old washer broke, we looked at many, and this one had the features I wanted for the best price. They retail for about $600, so are less than the high end Maytags, and are certainly less expensive than the European front loaders. I have had mine for a year now and I love it.

Here's a link:
http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/Products...y/Washers.html

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#77 of 86 Old 06-29-2003, 11:34 PM

Drool.....

OK, so how large is the capacity on these things? I have a washer that calls itself large capacity, but it is pretty average in size if not a little small.

What's a good measure?

How many towels would fit? Anyone know?

I can put a big bear hug worth of laundry in my washer. How many bear hugs of laundry could you fit? LOL (I am short and have short arms btw)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#78 of 86 Old 06-30-2003, 12:15 AM

We bought the LG washer and dryer about six weeks ago. I it!!!
It's quiet, uses very little water, and gets the clothes (and diapers) really clean with only a tiny scoop of deterent. I can wash 10-12 pairs of jeans or 8 bath towels and there is still room in there. And the washer spins so efficiently that the dryer is done in less than 30 minutes. That's especially cool when I'm washing/drying Joey Bunz! :LOL
#79 of 86 Old 07-03-2003, 05:00 PM

So it sounds like it's not necessary to have this water-heating feature that the european ones have. Do the front loaders you've been talking about have water-heating on them? It is suppoosed to be good to disinfect the dipes - any comments?
Istamama.
#80 of 86 Old 07-04-2003, 03:03 AM

Istamama,

Forgive me for overlooking that feature. Yes, our machine does have it's own built-in water heater. Otherwise, I don't think the diapers would get as 'sanitized' since our house water heater isn't set that high.
#81 of 86 Old 07-04-2003, 09:09 AM

I have a lower end American front loader that doesn't have a heat unit. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I would prefer one that has the heating unit in it since I have my water heater fairly low. I have used the European mid rang when I lived in Germany and LOVED LOVED LOVED and is what got me so hooked on front loaders. I think as long as you get a good quality front loader with the heating (not really necessary(basically it saves on energy costs_cold water is heated in the washer as opposed to using hot water from your water heater and you can control the tempreture) then you've got it made whether an American made or European made.

I will never go back to a top loader EVER. My diapers even washed on warm get nice and clean and smell so good (lol can you believe I smell my diapers?) I use only 1/8 cup of detergent of my choosing(right now SUN brand) and that is IT with a double rinse (I do a pre-wash though to get the potty out of the diapers first). I don't have well or hard water but do have a septic tank. I put the "enzyems" stuff down my toilet once a month and have lived here 3 years w/o issue. Have fun washer shopping.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#82 of 86 Old 07-10-2003, 08:00 PM

The LG sounds good! will check it out - don't know if they have it here in Canada. I guess i can check out the Maytag and others you mentioned at the store. at the moment i've been washing with a really old heavy duty Kenmore and have had no stains - I just turn the water heater up to high before i wash but it's a pain as i usually forget to turn it back down and so get scalded when i turn on the taps - so i'd like to have the water heater built in.
thanks a lot for your info,
Istamama.
#83 of 86 Old 07-10-2003, 10:37 PM

There is only one thing I would add. You mentioned you're moving septic. We have septic and a front loader. Even though almost all powder detergents say septic safe, they are not. Powder works best for front loaders. There are a few HE liquid detergents, but the only one I know of is Tide. I use a non HE liquid, and can only use about a teaspoon full. Otherwise I get build-up. Just something to think about. I do love my front loader, but it has made fleece diapers very difficult. Vinegar is another thing you can't use on septic. It makes stripping a real pain.
#84 of 86 Old 07-11-2003, 12:00 AM

WhooHoo Sarah'sMama!

Another front loader fan here. We bought one strictly for the environmental aspects of it, but there are a lot of other benefits as well. They are super quiet, less wear and tear on clothing, less detergent, cleaner clothes and you can cram A LOT into one of those things!

The negatives are that there is no pre-soak and water leaks out if you have to open the door to add something. It also makes wool diaper cover care trickey, as they also don't recommend using them for small loads and I haven't figured out how not to do a rinse using eucalan.

Good Luck!
#85 of 86 Old 07-11-2003, 12:00 AM

My experience seems different than many here! I lived in Europe until 5 years ago, and always used front loaders to wash diapers. I have to say that since moving to the States I MUCH prefer to wash diapers in a top loader. My main reason for this is that diaper cleaning is best achieved with plenty of water and the high efficiency models (generally front loaders) simply do not use enough water to achieve cleaning to my satisfaction. I also like that with a top loader you can tip a pail of dirty diapers right in, with the front loader you have to be much more hands-on! In an ideal world I would own a front loader for clothes and a top loader for diapers- hey, I can dream
#86 of 86 Old 07-11-2003, 12:40 AM

Our septic guys told me that vinegar eats away all the healthy growth inside the tank that keeps the whole septic "cycle" going. I'm sure there is a more technical answer, but like you said, I have no idea what it is! Oxyclean, and amonia based products are all bad, so I'm told.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page