Mothering Forum banner

Environmental Discussions of Cloth

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  daylily 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good links to studies discussing the benes of cloth to the environment? Specifically, I'm looking for ones countering that stupid assertion that cloth is just as bad for the environment as disposables.

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
There are still people out there that start a debate with me about the benefits of disposables, so I think it depends on who you ask. I'm personally VERY convinced that cloth is it, but as I said people will always find something that makes the pro-cloth arguments look bad.
Here are some links that show some benefits of cloth. There are not really scientific studies, but I thik they make sense.
May I ask why you look for this? Is it to convince others or yourself? Are you using cloth already or are you thinking of starting them?
Just curious

HTH

http://www.hanasgeneration.com/whycloth.html
http://www.dy-dee.com/html/environment.html
http://ut.essortment.com/clothdisposable_rrrs.htm

#6 ·
I was going to post about this, too.

The article is about changing a baby's diaper, and the part about cloth is a sidebar titled "The Cloth vs. Disposable Debate". It goes on to say cloth isn't any better for the environment because of what the diaper services do (harsh chemicals, use fossil fuels to deliver the dipes to you). It goes on to say disposables are better because of dryness and resistence to bacteria and irritants. Finally, it states that disposables only contribute slightly more than 1 percent of the solid waste in landfills, so let's not feel guilty!

Here are the issues I plan to address in my letter to the editor:

1. The title should be "A Defense of Disposables" because there was no debate, just a mention at the beginning that you may naturally worry about the environment when you think about all those diapers.

2. Washing diapers at home was never even mentioned as an option. (I guess they don't think we can be trusted to do it right.)

3. The cost was never mentioned, either. The piece focused on the environment and, a bit, on the baby.

4. Presenting such a one-sided debate gives the appearance of supporting advertisers rather than offer unbiased information. What's next, formula really is better than breast milk?

5. anything else I can glean from the links listed in this thread. I plan to mention the fact that disposables lock in water, and to offer information about the benefits to the baby.

It really bothered me that this mainstream publication is reinforcing this kind of thinking. It just gives more amunition for those who think we're weird. (and I don't need any help being made to look weird. ;-) )

#7 ·
jonathonsmom,

You might want to consider adding that those who cd generally dispose of the child's waste in the toilet, where it can be treated. I don't know anyone who uses disposables who does anything besides ball up the messy diaper and throw it (poop and all) in the trash where it ends up in a landfill. (ACK!!!)

I haven't seen the article, but I'll look for it next time I'm in my OB's office. Looks like a lot of us need to rebut this one!!!

#8 ·
Here's an article I wrote which references a good study and discusses many aspects of the manufacture, delivery and disposal of disposables:
http://www.slonet.org/~scoward/poop.html
Most studies sponsored by diaper companies think we're too stupid to know how much water it takes to pulp the paper, how much fuel is spent transporting them to the stores, how much it costs to run the plant to make them, etc. For my cloth diapers, all those things were done only once!

#9 ·
I saw that article at the library today. Mainstream parent magazines...grrrrrr....I can hardly stand them anymore.
It was a very ignorant little sidebar I thought. For one thing all the enviromental "dangers" of cloth we jsut having to do with diaper services. Lots of people wash their own dipes. Hello???
Beth

#10 ·
from an environment standpoint, at least diaper services have very strict wastewater standards. they may use harsher chemicals than i would at home, but the water that comes out is cleaner <i believe> than home washed diapers.

fo the record, i use a service, but will be switching to home washing as soon as i can convince dh it is safe
heather
(nursing baby, one hand typing, please forgive format)

#11 ·
Naturally, since Parents Magazine runs ads for disposable diapers, they're going to trash cloth. Is this article in the Dec. 2001 issue or is there a new Jan. issue out already? I'll read the article and write them a letter. I sometimes check the mainstream mags out of the library just to see how bad they can be. (Kind of a mild form of masochism, I guess.) Parents is the worst of them all. I've cloth diapered four children and I don't see how one extra load of laundry a week is worse for the env't than throwing away more than 40 yuckky diapers every week. AND, I read (in Parenting) that dd's make up 2% of landfill trash, not 1%, which is a lot if you think about it. And, what about all the fossil fules wasted when people fire up the SUV and drive to Walmart because they suddenly realize they're down to their last diaper. (And while they're there they stock up on Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and RAID and Jello snack-paks.)

#12 ·
Daylily

I just wanted to let ya'll now that if you e-mail them, they are sending out a canned response. It's actually nice, but it's the same to one and all. Comes surprisingly quickly tho.

Here tis:

> Thanks very much for taking the time to lend us your perspective on this.
> I'll share your feedback with our editors and hope you will keep in touch
> whenever another article piques your interest (or indignation). I fought
> to have this box taken out completely or at least modified as I think it's
> a bit far-fetched to act as if 1% of the landfill space is an
> inconsiderable amount, but didn't prevail.
>
> Have a safe and happy holiday season. Hopefully we'll be more even-handed
> next time.

#21 ·
I read an article in "The Baby Years" mgazine a couple of days ago. Really ticked me off. They even advertise for quite a bit of cloth diaper companies and natural toy companies. They pretty much said there are no benifits of cloth diapers. Of course they said something about dunking flushing, dunking flushing, rinsing in the tub, soaking in a bucket, washing through a couple of cycles and then drying for a couple of hours. Well yeah thats gonna use a lot of stuff. but who does all that. MAybe some but nobody does all that. Uhh, they even said they cost the same. Get real. I figured that compared to what I spent on diapers washin 3 times every 2 weeks (more than I wash) costing $1 a load ($.50 is more like it) and spending 50 on new stuff for each kid AND taking into account the most people I know who use disposable only change about 4-5 times a day and use generic diapers (I also factored in an extra garbage can because we pay by can here and diper genie bags. everyone I know has one) I would still save $100 for the first child and like $650 for the second. And that only accounts for the first two years. Jerks! They just have to justify there choices and please the advertisers with the big money at the expense of those who chose wisely and go the extra mile.

Thanks for letting me rant.

edited to add link:
www.babyyearsmagazine.com
e-mail: elisa@iparenting.com (if you want to complain about the article. It said the same old crap about cost the same, no health risk from disposables, has greater impact on the environment)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.