NEWBORN STASH - HELP ME BUILD IT! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! I'm expecting in about 3 weeks and trying to get a handle on the whole diapering thing. I ordered a bunch of kissaluv's newborn diapers -- HOW CUTE!!!!, and some prefolds. Then I got some Motherease air-flow covers.

My question is -- the covers look awfully big for a newborn and I'm afraid they won't be leak-proof, although it's hard to tell.... the leg holes do adjust to pretty small....

Anyone have any thoughts about whether these covers fit newborns OK? Or another cover I should try that would work over the kissaluvs and/or the prefolds?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 01:06 PM

When they are newborns they poop all the time. We would go through about 12 dipes a day, about 1/2 poopy. Don't worry, the poopy isn't bad at all, smells sweet if you can imagine. Anyway, I just used any cover I could get my hands on. Some were better than others but because I needed more than four or six, I took whatever I could find.

Don't buy the premie, newborn size unless you know you are having a very small child. Children grow so fast they will only fit in those small dipes for a short time.

You'll be fine
#3 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 01:47 PM

My personal preference is for the Whisper Pants made by Bummis' in size Small for newbies.

I agree with TripkeHughes, and rarely advise moms to spend money on preemie/newbie sizes unless they are expecting a preemie, twins or a small, small baby. Within 2 weeks babies grow so fast. Whisper Pants are perfect, because not only are they inexpensive, they work wonderfully and I didn't experience any leaking with them.

#4 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 03:10 PM

Also the Bummis original has a smaller leg opening that would work well.
#5 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 08:26 PM

Well . . I have to say I disagree. I did a TON of research and everyone told me not to buy any newborn covers. So I had, like, one total. Everything else was size small. And we ended up ordering about 8 more newborn covers (we went a little overboard). DD was average size - 7,12 - but they're just so tiny in the beginning and the small covers swamped her! My DH got really upset about it and wanted covers that fit her so that she would be as comfortable as possible. I guess a midway would be to buy like 4 newborn covers so you could use 2 while 2 are drying.
#6 of 39 Old 08-02-2002, 10:55 PM

I second girllie's post--my son was 7 lbs at birth and there was no way the small covers fit his little chicken-bone legs! Plus there was no dip for the cord. Niji velcro covers are pretty affordable and good (over at Babyworks.com) and Bummi's stuff in general has smaller leg openings. Cotn' Wrap has nice leg gussets, and I hear ProRap does a good cheap newborn cover if you don't want to spend a lot. I used my NB's for 2 months so it was worth it to me.
Plus, many shops will accept unused returns if you have your baby and find you can get by on small size covers.
Or, you could buy just a few NB, and if you need more then order them after your baby's born (Barefoot Baby and Natural Babies.com ship VERY fast! )

(p.s. I didn't have Kissaluv NB's for my son, sadly but you'll need more *room* in the seat of the cover than for the folded prefolds. Try Imse Vimse Bumpys and Bummi's Whisper Pants, just check the leg openings to be sure they're snug enough.)
#7 of 39 Old 08-05-2002, 12:50 PM

What do you do about the umbilical cord stump if you don't have newborn sizes? I've been wondering that, since I'm due in February but will probably have a reasonably large baby based on heredity. I would love to use a diaper service those first few weeks, but we don't have one, so I'll have to buy something.
#8 of 39 Old 08-06-2002, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advise everyone! I went ahead and ordered 2 Bummis Whisper Pants in newborn size. I guess once the baby is here, I'll be able to judge my needs better. Thanks for the input!
#9 of 39 Old 08-06-2002, 02:36 PM

The kissaluvs are kind long on the leg...so the ME's do cover very well. IWth the others, some of it hangs out. (but maybe not the bummi's...) I forget. The bumpy's I think fit too...
#10 of 39 Old 08-07-2002, 03:00 AM

I like the NB Bummi super whisper wraps with the Kissaluvs. I don't like prefolds, but think the NB and small Bummi original are best with them. NB Prowraps (seconds for $3) work well too for the price.
#11 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 10:16 AM

OK, my baby is due any day now, and I've had his diaper stash put aside for months now. I've got 18 prefolds converted to fitteds, 24 unbleached infant CPF's, 6 Proraps each in NB and S, and 5-6 Alexis snaps each in NB and S. Plus, I've got a dozen All-Together Deluxe AIO's in S for a month or so after the baby's born. My problem is, I'm having the hardest time keeping myself from buying a few dozen Kissaluvs, and selling everything else except the Alexis covers. It just seems like it will be easier not having to deal with poop leaking onto the covers. Then again, it might take a little longer to get the dipes on since I'll have to deal with snaps rather than Snappis (I'm quick with a prefold -- that's what I use on dd). Plus, I just checked dd's weight chart, and she didn't even hit 15 lbs until she was 6 mo. old. Assuming this baby has a similar build (which he seems to so far, based on my size and how I'm carrying), I could potentially use these until he starts solids and his poops aren't so runny. I just can't decide!! Anyone have any advice for me? I'm also half-convinced just because the re-sale value on Kissaluvs is so high. I could buy them for $9 a pop and sell them for up to $7.50. For $1.50 a dipe, the convenience might be worth it. What do you guys think?
#12 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 10:47 AM

Karen,

Well, I can't help you much because I'm still pregnant as well. And - I'm in the same boat as you! I have mostly prefolds, with some others scattered in there that I've ordered over the past few months. Like you, I've recently thought about breaking down and ordering more Kissaluvs (I have two)....! So I'm anxious to read the responses to you message. One thing I've thought of is ordering about 1/2 dozen and seeing how it goes, then ordering more after the baby comes....? :
#13 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:19 AM

Karen,

Sorry Karen, can't offer advice but I'm right there with you and NaturalMom. I just received my diaper order yesterday (due 12/04 with #1) of 36 infant CPFs and 6 kissaluvs. First of all, the Kissaluvs are adorable, and secondly, they do seem really well constructed--like having a leak would be unlikely. The only down side I see is that they may take quite a while to dry (and they're pricy). I'm counting on at least an 8# baby, so we may end up needing new one's before 6 months--but like you said, the resale is high.

When I placed my diaper order at naturalbabies.com , I called the the proprietress, Colleen, and she spent a lot of time helping me to figure out what I needed. I was willing to buy 12 or 18 Kissaluvs, but she recommended just starting out with 6 to see if they worked for us. She was very enthusiastic about the CPF's and said in the beginning "keep it simple". You could probably call her and discuss your dilemma with her--I trust her judgement as she would have had a substantially bigger order by recommending more Kissaluv's, but she didn't.

I also thought that the Kissaluv's profile was so much smaller than the CPF's--I couldn't imagine getting a wrap all the way around one. (I received 2 bummi's SIWW's and I'm still waiting for 6 proraps).

I also ordered an aristocrat--it looks biiiiig!

I'll be watching for replies from BTDT moms too!

Oh yeah, I had DH practice putting a CPF on a teddy bear with a snappi and he did a pretty good job--but I have a feeling he'll take to the kissaluvs for simplicity's sake. We were both laughing that we won't be able to exert as much pressure on a baby as a teddy bear as we're trying to get the snappi on.

all the best,
Victoria
#1 edd 12/04/02
#14 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:26 AM

I'm having twins, so cost determined it for me! CPFs all the way. My thing with the kissaluvs is you have to buy so many sizes and the first two they'll outgrow soooo quickly. Just can't justify the cost for that. Now maybe down the line when their weight stabilizes like 10-20 mos, it might be worth it to spend more on dipes, but I just can't see spending so much on kissaluvs the baby will only wear for 2 mos and be just as happy in CPFs.

So, that's me
#15 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:31 AM

Thanks, Victoria. That's actually really helpful. I know it's good advice from both of you to try just half a dozen first, but I'm such an all-or-nothing person, plus I hate to pay shipping more than once (I get really cheap when it comes to shipping). Anyway, you're right, I should probably talk to Colleen. I've dealt with her before and know she's extremely helpful and friendly. It would be a real disappointment to buy a boatload of these dipes and find out they didn't fit my ds or that the drying time was really a problem. Thanks for the comments, mamas. Hopefully someone who's BTDT can add their advice
#16 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:42 AM

Karen,

Yesterday when I was playing with the Kissaluv's I was a little irritated by the tag on the back and felt like removing them. Do you think this would affect the resale price? I could always just save the tags to 'prove' they are actually kissaluvs.
Since you've priced their resale value I thought you might know.

-V.
#17 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:53 AM

Okay, I'm going to say it.. either way is FINE. Here is what I would do if I were you.. I'd sell about half of my prefolds converted to fitteds, and spend the extra money and buy 10 .. yes 10 kissaluvs.

I LOVE LOVE LOVED my kissaluvs size 0.. I'm not as fond of the 1's, but they are nice to. I sold mine when she was about 13lbs and 5 months because they weren't absorbent enough anymore.

The two things i WILL have when I have another baby are 18 size 0 kissaluvs, 6 regular infant prefolds bealeched, 6 regular infant prefolds (4x6x4.. I think these make better doublers later than the 4x8x4 infant prefolds and they fit a smaller baby better) unbleached, 6 infant prefolds bleached, 6 infant prefolds unbleached. ME airflow covers, green earth wraps, and VELOUR wipes.

After that stage, I'll make all my own and buy ME airflow covers.

If you keep what you have, you'll be perfectly happy. If you decide to keep what you have, don't even bother buying a single kissaluv, because you'll wish you'd bought more and be frustrated all the time. I LOVE prefolds.. they are fast, easy, and very 'natural' and unfussy to me. I would never be without them. I use them for all kinds of things too.. They make a great headrest in the car, usable breastpads when you leaking like the hoover dam at nights (they don't look good, but they work *L*) etc etc.. But the kissaluvs are show diapers. When you tell people you use cloth and pull one of those out, they are ALWAYS impressed. They keep the poo in for those times when you CANNOT deal with a dirty cover too.. like in the middle of grocery shopping and the bathroom is crowded etc. BUT, I think you're prefolds converted to fitteds will do the SAME thing, they just aren't as.. hmm.. showy I guess. We mamas that cloth diaper think they are the neatest thing, but everyone else thinks they are funny looking and can't understand why you would use that over a disposable that has a cute little elmo on the front. I know it's telling you to spend the money (but you are right.. my kissaluvs ended up costing me less than my prefolds to use.. strange isn't it), but I think anyone would be thrilled with the kissaluvs. It's the only diaper my DH will use.. including AIO's. He knows what the kissaluvs are and that they needa cover. He's never sure about the other diapers.. is it or isn't it an AIO? Even though I stack fitteds and AIO's in different places... *L*.. oh well.. I have AIO's and prefolds.. he has kissaluvs.. it works out fine. I hope i didnt' just make this harder on you *L*..

Amber
#18 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 11:54 AM

I would definitely leave them on. Otherwise, you won't be able to prive that they weren't seconds (where they cut or remove the tags). I would personally be a little leery of buying used dipes that had the tags removed, even if you kept them as "proof" that yours are first quailty. Oh, and if it helps, the tags go on the outside of the diapers (I've never seen one in real life, but I've heard a lot of people say that it's confusing at first).
#19 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 12:10 PM

Interesting discussion...

My DH LOVED the first Kissaluv sample I ordered (cotton fleece, then I ordered the terry/fleece combo). Up until that point, he was skeptical about CDing. He thought it was all pins and prefolds. Since this is our first child that we are expecting, and he hasn't been around infants much, I think he's already a little skiddish about hurting the baby somehow. And then the thought of trying to use a pin on his little tiny baby scares him - he's about 6'2'' and 220 so I think he feels a little clumsy with the pins. I ordered Snappi's and he felt better about the cpfs, but only after he had already been won over to CDing with the Kissaluv sample. Something about DHs and those Kissaluvs, huh?

I agree with the 'showy' factor. We know no one (except on the internet!) that uses CDs. So when we tell people about that (usually after they say "Oh, do you have a diaper genie yet?"), they say, "Well, GOOD luck!" and kinda chuckle. Then I show them the samples (cpfs w/snappis, Kissaluvs, various AIOs, soft velcro covers rather than 'plastic/rubber pants'), and they are always impressed, especially with the Kissaluvs. Maybe I'll get a few more to use when we got out in public so more people will try CDing

Amber, when you moved up to Size 1, what fabric did you use? I was planning on the cotton fleece for a newborn then getting just the terry for size 1 since it's 'supposed' to be more absorbent... If it's not, then I'd like to know. Thanks!
#20 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 12:25 PM

I have mostly the all fleece and a couple of combo dipes. I use the combos last because they don't have as much stretch, so don't seem to fit quite as well.. and they are bulky. I really really really dislike bulk *L*.. Actually don't even reallyc are for my 1's the first month of washing until they "pack down" and become trimmer. The fleece are plenty absorbant for my medium wetter. I'd say they have about as much absorbency as a regular prefold because she goes through them in aobu the same time. But less than a premium prfold. It's a preference thing, but I like the soft stretch of the fleece kissaluvs and if I have a problem with absorbency, I would add some hemp jersey doulbers. If you decide to do this, email me and I could make you some that are about the same size as the sewn in soaker in the kissaluvs.. we could work a deal. If the bulk doesn't bother , you go with the combo dipes.. they seem to be a little more absorbent. BTW.. (please dont' take this wrong.. I just want to help) I have some brand new size 1's in my used/clearance store for $9 each and that INCLUDES shipping. Take a look if you think you might want to try one or two (I think there are 4 there and I might have another that I haven't listed because I'm out of room in my store). If you are sizeing up to a 1, I do recommend an aiflow cover... or a bumpy if they don't scratch your baby's tum. HTH,

Amber
#21 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 02:05 PM

Something to think about: Diapers go through trends, and just because a certain dipe has great resale now doesn't mean it will continue to do so. I would suggest that you buy what you want and can afford, and think of the eventual resale as a possible unexpected bonus, not as a refund that you're factoring into the price.
#22 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 02:51 PM

That's a good point, Pallas. You're right -- you can't count on a definite resale value, although I think it'll be a pretty good bet that Kissaluvs will still be popular in the next few months (hopefully 6).

Thanks for the input, everyone. I still can't seem to make any decisions. I've seen some used ones for sale, maybe I'll try that first. *sigh* Decisions, decisions. It's not exactly a crisis of earth-shattering proportions, but it's something constructive to fix my pregnant obsessions on
#23 of 39 Old 09-11-2002, 04:39 PM

The fleecy ones are sooooo cuddly- they're my fav. Made a few converts with them. The sherbert colored ones if you see them, are super adorable. I would get a fwe to try, you might or might not live them better than CPF. (I did but I was very lousy at folding/snappis).
#24 of 39 Old 09-12-2002, 09:30 AM

'Kay, I just bought 8 gently used size 0's. I will let you all know my honest opinion after Baby2 makes his appearance. It should be pretty unbiased, as I'm normally a prefolds gal and these are the first fitteds I've tried (aside from my homemade Poopockets, which I never use). Thanks for all the advice
#25 of 39 Old 09-13-2002, 12:22 AM

I love kissaluvs I use the size 2 as my ds is HUGE. He is 3 months and 18 lbs. I only have 6 right now that I use for night time as they hold so much! If you go to their outlet store right now ( www.kissaluvs.com/outlet.htm ) all sizes are on sale. 0's are 6.95 and 1's and 2's are 7.95 they even have some of their colors on sale. They do take a long time to dry about 80 minutes in my dryer. I usually put them in with my other diapers for 30 mins and then let them air dry from there.

I am a cloth diaper junkie! I use luke's drawers and toddler size cpf on my 2yodd and snap to fits and kissaluvs on 3mods. I don't recommend snap to fit diapers as they fall apart quickly.

Have fun in your diaper quest!!

Sarah
#26 of 39 Old 09-13-2002, 01:01 AM

If I could go back to my pregnancy with the knowledge I have now, I would buy "the whole diapering enchilada" from the kissaluvs website. My only problem with kissaluvs is that I didn't find them until he was 8 weeks old. He wore the size 1s I bought at 8 weeks until he was NINE MONTHS OLD! And, he could probably still wear them, except I resold them for $7.50 each because I thought I could make one-size diapers that would be better than kissaluvs. They didn't work. I ended up buying more 18 size 2s soon after selling the size 1s and I'm kicking myself for selling them now that we're thinking about #2! You better believe I WILL NOT be selling my 2s!!

I know they take a while to dry and they're bulky (I just love that cute cloth diaper butt! If it weren't for that butt, none of my son's pants would stay up!!), but I have tried lots and lots of diapers and come back to kissaluvs over and over and over again. I love them and the only leaks I've ever had have been b/c of the wraps. I can count the times I found poo on a wrap on one hand.

So you know what my vote would be .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#27 of 39 Old 09-13-2002, 10:30 AM

Okay - so if I'm expecting #1 in November, should I even bother with the Size 0's? It sounds like maybe I should just use the CPFs I have until he moves up to Size 1...? I have 2 Kissaluvs Size 0, so I'll know when he's ready to move up. I thought he could stay in Size 0 for at least 3 months. But some of you are even saying you baby is in Size 2 at 4 months or so. Geez!

Could the rest of you who have used Kissaluvs reply with how long your baby stayed in each size? 0, 1, and 2? Thanks!!!!
#28 of 39 Old 09-13-2002, 10:52 AM

I think a child would have to be an amazon to wear a size two at 4 months! It's really easy to underestimate when they need to switch sizes because the range of the sizes overlaps so much. My son was 9lb 4 oz at birth, and 13lb at 8 weeks when he started wearing the size 1s (I never had 0s). He wore size 1s until he was nine months old and about 20 pounds. They were still on the tightest snap setting, but I thought he was outgrowing the rise. In reality, I think he could still wear them. Right now he's 18 months, 26 pounds and about 30" (I'm guessing on height). But he's very slender in his hips. He wears size 2s on the tightest setting and has about 1.5" that bunch up in the back of his diaper, so he's still got quite a bit of wear in these.

My Kissaluvs also fit my friend's daughter, who is 36", 30lbs and 16 months old. She has an unusually long rise and the kissaluvs fit her like bikini underwear, but they fit well and don't leak at all. These are the all-fleece diapers. The fleece/terry have more bulk and less stretch so they wouldn't fit for as long.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#29 of 39 Old 06-18-2003, 07:08 PM

Am trying to read up & absorb all the diapering info, but admit to being QUITE overwhelmed by it all! Am taking the general advice that seems to run through all the threads I've seen -- get one or two of different things and see what works for you.

So, in that vein, this is what I'm thinking of registering for so far:

3 dozen size small unbleached cotton chinese prefolds
2 Bumpy day covers
1 Polar Baby cover
1 Imse Vimse swim diaper (we have a hot/cool tub)
1 size small Aristocrats cover
2 snappi fasteners

Wanted to try an SOS, but d*mn they're hard to get - not available on the website at all right now and only 1 on eBay.

I'm due in December, so I have lots of time. Would love to hear recommendations on what to add & why. I have a washer/dryer and can do laundry every 2-3 days pretty easily. Will probably use a diaper service at first.

Thanks for all your help, y'all are a fount of wisdom!

Margo
#30 of 39 Old 06-18-2003, 08:30 PM

I havent used any of those covers.. but Im thinking you will need a few more smalls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page