Troubleshooting Stinky Diapers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 51 Old 06-13-2003, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've only heard maybe two people say they use Sensiclean alone with good results.
I'm one of them, but only have been using it for a month.

Do a strip wash to see if you have buildup. If you do, stop using Dr. B.

This is my routine. I have soft water from Lake Michigan (city water).:
Get all poo out with cold (by hand) immediately.
Wash in hot with 1/2-3/4 capful Sensi Clean.
Wash every other day.

That's it! No stains (since I wash poo right away) and no smell and I use hemp all the time (in the form of a doubler or diaper).

Quote:
i've heard of alot of people that use Dr. Bronners with the same problem. I think it's not strong enough.
Edited to add, I think it could also be that it's a SOAP (no?), and soap causes buildup. That's why I think you should check to see if you have buildup and if you do, switch to a detergent.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 06-13-2003, 11:39 AM

Hi,

I think I am in the minority here. My philosophy with washing diapers is less is more. This is my routine:

1 - Cold soak
2- Hot wash with 1/4 amount of liquid detergent (I am now using Wisk)
3 - 2 cold rinses

If my diapers start to smell a little off, I do 3 rinses and I dry them outside (weather permitting). I was using a cheap powdered detergent, and my diapers were starting to smell and some of my cotton/PUL covers were not coming clean. I recently had a stinky fleece problem, so I added an extra rinse and sunshine dry and now they don't smell anymore. And I make sure my diapers are wash at least every 24 hours. I was sometimes waiting 36 hours and it was making the smell worse.

Anyway, my advice from my whole 5 months of cloth diapering experience is that I think you are washing your diapers with too much "stuff". When my diapers were stinky, I found that tea tree oil just made it worse. I would get rid of the baking soda, essential oils and Dr. Bronner's and see what happens.

Good luck.
#33 of 51 Old 06-13-2003, 12:07 PM

it sounds like you are making the whole washing routine much too complicated. i'm now down to a cold wash/cold rinse with regular detergent followed by a hot wash/cold rinse with nothing. i used to do a baking soda soak and sometimes a vinegar rinse (this really made my diapers stink!). so i think unless there is a problem, simple is better.

#34 of 51 Old 06-13-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I think I am in the minority here. My philosophy with washing diapers is less is more. This is my routine:
I don't think you are in the minority. Your routine is the same as mine and most others here, except you don't use baking soda in the cold soak or vinegar ever.

Baking soda is not going to make you diapers stink. It can only help. Vinegar is a problem for some, but for others, it helps remove detergent and therefore helps the stink problem.

I don't usually use essential oils in my laundry, but if you like them, a couple drops shouldn't be the cause of stink problems, either. Unless the stink is the smell of the TTO or lavender! lol

Things that can cause stink, though:
Some detergents that do a poor job of cleaning
Using too much detergent (hard to rinse out)
Not using enough detergent (in hard water particularly)
Not using hot water with detergent
Using soap based products like Dr. Bronners. They leave soap scum buildup on the diapers in time and lessen absorbancy
Not rinsing enough
Letting dirty dipes sit around too long before washing
Several layers of hemp sewn together
For some, vinegar, for others, it solves stink problems
#35 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 10:09 AM

Kermit you sound like an expert.
When can you come over?

Anyway...
we do have hard water
I kissed Dr. Bronners goodbye
I am doing vinegar today.
Should I do hot or cold?
And I know essential oils do not make diapers stink.
I sell essential oils.
Anyway...I am going back to my Malelucha detergent today too.

Thanks all. I will report back.
#36 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 10:36 AM

I just wanted to add that I know that essential oils don't make diapers stink. I just didn't like the way the tea tree oil smelled on top of my stinky fleece.

Melaleuca laundry detergent is great as long as you don't have to worry about repelling fleece. I have been using it for 3 years but I can't use it on my Fuzzi Bunz. Let me know how it works for you.
#37 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 11:39 AM

When I have stinky dipes, it's b/c of buildup. My water heater isn't set super high, so I turn it way up and do a few HOT washes w/o det. and it works great! I use Melaleuca too, and haven't had a problem with repelling fleece. I use fleece strips for liners and they're fine. I have started using only half the amt. of the det. and I think that really helps thebuildup problem--and saves money!!

My wash routine is one cold rinse with baking soda, one hot wash with half amt of Melaleuca det. If they still have a weird smell, I do an extra rinse, and that takes care of it.

Thanks for the tip about ess. oils not causing dipes to smell. I started using melaleuca (tea tree) oil in the wash and in the pail and at the same time began having dipes that wreek of ammonia. I stopped using the oil and still have the stink, so I realized it's just ds pee. So thanks for comfirming that for me! I've been hesitant to start using it again, but I think I'll try it!

Fun to konw there's other Melaleuca users out there!
#38 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 04:09 PM

I have used CD's for 7 years now & never had the stinkies since I switched to this method:
One cold Rinse & Spin
One Hot wash with Era Max & one scoop Oxyclean
One Hot wash w/ NOTHING added
One cold rinse
NO RASH NO STINK NO NOTHING.....
Also, I use the smallest water setting possible...
Finally, NIRVANA
#39 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 09:13 PM

My struggle with washing routine changes, vinegar, abking soda etc. and stinky diapers was solved by simply changing detergents. It was a miracle. I don't think the detergent matters as much as that is different. I went from Biokleen to Trader Joe's natural- a detergent that did not work for us last year but I still had the box.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#40 of 51 Old 06-14-2003, 09:24 PM

Melaleuca user here, too! I am glad to hear that it is not a problem for those of you who are using it on fleece. I have a front loading washer and already only use 1/2 the detg. amt -- so for diapers, do you think I should use 1/4?

I am assuming I can not use the Melaleuca fabric softner on diapers -- what has your experience been regarding this? What about fleece?

kathy
#41 of 51 Old 06-15-2003, 12:12 AM

and I had a thought about getting rid of your diaper odor.

http://tjspetshop.com/natures_miracle.htm

It's called Nature's Miracle, it is targeted to remove the smell of pet urine and feces, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work for baby stuff, too. It has enzymes that are supposed to break down the odor causing culprits, apparently. And I think it is chemical free, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Hope your dipes are smelling great soon.
#42 of 51 Old 06-15-2003, 01:36 AM

To me, fabric softener is fabric softener, and I wouldn't want to try it on my dipes. I wasn't very impressed with the melaleuca fab. softener anyway. I had to use 3xs the amt just to get my clothes soft, and I'm NOT a fab. softner junkie like some people are (my MIL!! she uses a WHOLE ball of downy in her wash! No wonder her towels aren't absorbent....).

Just my opinion!
#43 of 51 Old 06-18-2003, 01:37 PM

I may be getting to the bottom of this. I have done diapers twice since this first post and did the vinegar thing and they do seem better but not perfect. So anyway, here is the deal.

My washer has been leaking too and we had the Sears guy out today and I while he was here I asked him about my washer smelling mildewy and he told me I should only use a high efficiency detergent. So anyway I think I need to say bye bye to malelucha and even sensi-clean. This makes me crabby cuz I don't want to buy Tide etc..

Does anyone have a natural recommendation for me? At the same time I am happy cuz I think this will resolve the issue.
#44 of 51 Old 06-18-2003, 01:51 PM

I've never even heard of a high efficiency detergent! What makes one high efficiency and others not??

Good luck!
#45 of 51 Old 06-18-2003, 02:20 PM

i guess they are marked HE

by the way i never do kegels and i am due in 8 weeks
am i in for trouble?
#46 of 51 Old 06-18-2003, 03:38 PM

hi I've been following your stinky diaper saga with interest!

I don't think you're in trouble btw, just start doing them now! that muscle whips into shape (and out) fast! Good luck!!!

But while it's out there, what really is a "high efficiency detergent?" and are these free & clear detergents causing buildup too? They do not have fabric softener in them do they?

for what it's worth, I really try to use baking soda every few washes, and have not found a detergent that I like yet, except Biokleen and I don't know if that is safe on fleece or fuzzibunz.
#47 of 51 Old 06-18-2003, 11:39 PM

Kathy-jo, you are silly!

I do them on and off, so having that in my sig line helps *me* remember! The effect I see that it has with me is going to be TMI, but I don't care. I was having a problem with pee "leakage" when I'd cough or laugh or anything when I was on my period and the weeks surrounding it. I started doing kegels more faithfully, and it really helped. I'm trying to do them now too, even though I don't have that problem anymore (being pregnant). After having my first baby, my pelvic floor just hasn't been the same. I'm hoping that means things are all loosened up for my second baby's birth and I won't have to push for SO long! Hey, a girl can dream, right??

Good luck with the detergent!!!
#48 of 51 Old 06-19-2003, 12:05 AM

I'd try taking out the Dr. B's cycle, and rinsing all diapers out asap...I found that rinsing out the wet diapers in cold water when they came off worked well.

HTH!
~Shane
#49 of 51 Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 AM

I, too, have a front loader and have been struggling with stinky dipes for three months. Right now, I am using bleach every other time I wash dipes - it is the *only* thing I have found so far that removes the stinkies. I have tried sportswash, biokleen, TTO, vinegar rinses, washing soda, borax, free detergents and lots of other regular detergents. Right now I am doing:

- cold wash with regular amount of Arm& Hammer det plus A&H washing soda (extra rinse cycle)
- hot wash w/tiny amount of A&H det (and every other time I include 1/4 c bleach)
- hot wash w/nothing

This is the only way I have found to keep the stinkies at bay. I hate using bleach on my dipes but if I don't they positively reek. I wash every other day and have a dry pail. All poops go in the potty, though I don't rinse them in the toilet. I have two in dipes right now, including a bf baby.

I have heard this problem a lot w/front loader owners - we can't really *soak* stuff and the water level is so low I think this makes it harder to soak out the stink. Weird thing is, my clothes are much cleaner w/a front loader than w/a top loader. Go figure!

Carolyn
#50 of 51 Old 06-19-2003, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaje62
I may be getting to the bottom of this. I have done diapers twice since this first post and did the vinegar thing and they do seem better but not perfect. So anyway, here is the deal.

My washer has been leaking too and we had the Sears guy out today and I while he was here I asked him about my washer smelling mildewy and he told me I should only use a high efficiency detergent. So anyway I think I need to say bye bye to malelucha and even sensi-clean. This makes me crabby cuz I don't want to buy Tide etc..

Does anyone have a natural recommendation for me? At the same time I am happy cuz I think this will resolve the issue.
kaje62,

I have a Kenmore frontloader and found that my mildewy smell was caused by hair, gunk, bits of food building up in the rubber gasket that lines the door. Try opening the door and pulling back the rubber part. See if you don't find some icky stuff hiding in there. I clean it out periodically and my washer smells much better. Doesn't make sense to me that a detergent would cause a mildewy smell.

Best wishes,
Cathy
#51 of 51 Old 06-19-2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daphynmama
Hi,

1 - Cold soak
2- Hot wash with 1/4 amount of liquid detergent (I am now using Wisk)
3 - 2 cold rinses

I posted mine already, but I think my routine is even more simple: 1 hot wash with a teeny bit of detergent, and that's it! I agree that simple is better!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page