Hemp Odor Questions/Answers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 36 Old 06-09-2003, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hemp smells fine. My fleece, on the other hand, is another story. My fuzzi bunz smell awful and so does my fleece lined SOS. We have been having humid weather and I can smell my "clean" diapers all through the house.

I changed detergents and started doing 3 rinses instead of 2. I'm also drying them outside now and that seems to help. I guess I should be trying vinegar or baking soda, but that all seems very complicated :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 06-19-2003, 08:59 PM

Okay, so I have finally figured out a system for keeping my hemp diapers smelling fresh.

I use a dry pail (maybe that's just because I'm lazy) and then I put them in the wash on the Pre-Soak Pre-Wash Cycle- If you don't have one, you can just turn the nob to where it starts the final rinse and start from there, and I use Bi-o-Kleen soap and biokleen powder oxygen bleach (just a tad of each) with hot water and i have my water heater turned up high and I add some kosher salt(cheap and bulk) for good luck because my water is hard then I come back to visit my diapers and I add 2 tablespoons of powder ox bleach and wash the dipes on Cotton Sturdy with the extra soiled option which makes it agitate longer on hot water again, then it rinses on cold.

I know it looks like a lot but it's really not. One prewash and one wash. I started doing this because I was seriously needing to strip my dipes and I am NOT going to boil them, I 'm just not. I refuse. I want CDing to be easy so when I tell people it is I'm not lying, kwim? Incidentally, now my dipes have fewer stains that need sunning and they are SO much softer! I also stopped overdoing the BacOut thing because I think all the oil was hard to get out in the wash, kwim? Anyway, that's our system and our hemp smells/looks/feels good. I really think it's hot water and less detergent. Good luck, it's always such a bummer to put a diaper that is already stinky on your kid.
Lauren
#33 of 36 Old 06-19-2003, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Lauren, I personally think it's the oxygen bleach. Oxyclean or Shout Oxypower can also be used and are great for stripping diapers and getting polyester items to not stink. BUT, be aware that some WAHMs tell people that if you use oxygen bleach on your hemp diapers, any warranty or whatever will be void. Some people have claimed that oxygen bleach disinegrates hemp. I'm not saying I know/think that is true, but be aware before you decide. I also think frequent oxygen bleach use may shorten the life of the diapers slightly, though perhaps not enough for any concern.

#34 of 36 Old 06-20-2003, 08:07 PM

Good point about the oxy bleach. I checked after I posted and I use less than 2 tablespoonfuls in my rinse. I probably only use about one. Anyway, I figure that much (or littl) in an extra large load just isn't enough to degrade them or to make a difference anyway. I only have a few dipes that I got new and they're prefolds, so they don't really have a WAHM warranty. I can see how that would be a concern for everyone. Soem of mine are WAHM, they're just pre-owned, like a BMW.
L
#35 of 36 Old 06-20-2003, 09:15 PM

I am new to cd (about 3 weeks!) and just got fluffy mail today!!! HEMP! Lots of it cause I have a super soaker. Is there a best way to do the very first wash???

Also, could you use tea tree oil or lavender oil?
#36 of 36 Old 06-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Ame

It's best to wash your hemp diapers atleast once on hot with a natuarl (non-soapy/buildup) laundry cleaner. Essential oils area great addition to any laundry wash....hemp included.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page