Hemp Odor Questions/Answers - Mothering Forums

#1 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? It started with just one of my Samuel's Soakers smelling strong of ammonia in the AM. Turning my hot water heater up wasn't enough to solve it and it was the only hemp thing that stunk in the AM. Now a couple of my Joeys stink and all the SS's, too. I know that boiling them all will cure it, but I really don't feel like boiling my thicker hemp stuff every few washes. I'm really bummed about this new extra upkeep with hemp. But nothing else can handle the night wetting except maybe a 'sposie. SIGH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 12:24 PM

I feel your pain ma'am, phish sez, after JUST doing a strip wash load this very am!!! I too get annoyed with stinky hemp, but I MUST have it! It works the best for me so it is my necessary evil, I guess....!!!!!!
#3 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 01:24 PM

I have on of these diapers. The combination of switching detergent and line drying has removed the stink- for the time being.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

#4 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 02:56 PM

I never heard of hemp stinking. I have had that awful smell with fleece diapers and with motherease diapers but nothing else ever. I got rid of it by rinsing and line drying, worked great. I am not a big fan of fleece however as it retains the smell for centuries. I dislike motherease because they are so thin and not very absorbent. So I also ended up not using that stuff anymore. My hemp has never stunk. I am surprised to hear someone had that problem but it is more likely from not rinsing enough and using too much soap in the initial wash.

I wash my diapers on hot with a small amount of soap, then I wash them on hot again, then I wash them on cold. They get washed three times and rinsed three times. It may be overkill but the diapers look and smell great!
#5 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I'm really bummed about this new extra upkeep with hemp.
Holly, do you have soft or hard water?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#6 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 04:19 PM

I have the same prob with my samuels soaker in the AM. I just strip washed all my diapers this week, ran I don't know how many hot washes. But behold the soakers still stink in the morning. I am going to try a cpf tonight and see if it stinks. The SS work so well I may just put up with the stench....
Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#7 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Corrie, boiling them for a good 10 min or more will likely do the trick. Try it!
I know it's not residue for us and I alternate detergents quite a bit, so it's hard to know if the detergent is a problem, but I think not. I think it's just hard to get hemp really deep down clean when there are several layers together.
I really don't believe my regular prefolds would stink in the AM because they can be soaking wet with urine in the diaper pail for 2 days and when I pull them out to put them in the wash the do NOT smell like that ammonia!
Edit: Kathleen, I just saw your post after I posted. I would love to be able to use 6 loads of water to do my diapers, but we are in a drought here. Water restrictions actually were lifted some recently, but the drought is by no means over. When I lived in CA we were in a drought there, too, so conserving water is too ingrained in me to use that much per load. I already feel sooo guilty for doing a second rinse every time! I know many mamas don't!
With a routine like that, I'm really suprised your ME diapers stink. I use Sandy's regularly and NEVER have odor problems.
#8 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Elena, I have extremely soft water. Colorado has soft water, but we also have a Rainsoft softener that removes minerals and junk from the water as well as adding some salt. I use a very small amount of detergent and always double rinse and don't see bubbles. Sometimes I do vinegar in the first rinse to help remove any detergent build up that might be occuring.
#9 of 36 Old 06-07-2003, 07:39 PM

Have you tried washing soda and/or bac out? Just a question...I'm an amateur, so I may be out of line....
#10 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

No, you aren't out of line! Thanks so much for your input!
Yes, I do a cold soak in about a 1/2 C. of baking soda at the beginning and spin out the dirty water before going on to a VERY hot wash with about 2-3 TBS. of detergent. (but I bet that hot water gets cooled off to regular hot with the cold wet diapers) The rinse that follows the hot wash sometimes gets 1/2 C. of vinegar and then a second rinse with nothing finishes it off.
This has always worked really well for us. Even with my daughter's thick Babykicks prefolds. But those Samuel's Soakers, and just now the JB's have had a problem. My Liz's Cloth are hemp fleece, but not so many layers, and they never stink real bad. Maybe I've gone longer than usual without using vinegar. Hmmm. Hard to know sometimes just what is up.
#11 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 AM

I am also a newbie (cding for 4 months), but I have almost the exact wash routine as you except we use vinegar every time. So far, no problem with any stink. So maybe try using vinegar more often? HTH!
#12 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 02:14 AM

I have a tons of JB, babykicks and a hemp fitted, but never had a problem with stink.

My wash is similar to what everyone said: cold soak with soda, hot wash with 1/4 c. detergent and 2 cold rinses.

I use my washer as a wet pail with 1/2 c. soda. I drain it and refill daily, so everything isn't soaking in poopy water. Could be why they aren't stinky--they never get a chance to set in. I'm sure a washing machine as a wet pail isn't for everyone, but I'm just anal enough to have it work for me
#13 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ive never had this problem with hemp or any of my diapers. i never use hot water to wash- just cold water and biokleen with a dry pail. perhaps i avoid the strong ammonia smell after the nighttime by using wool covers that breathe? i have never noticed hemp stinking.

good luck! imho, even stinky hemp is much preferrable to chemical diapers! tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of five: ds (13) dd (11) ds (9) ds (7) and dd (2) Find me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 07:08 AM

Ok, So I tried a cpf with a hemp doubler last night, and very little stink this morning. I boiled my SS last week and they still stink in the morning. I think I am off to boil them again and send em to the trading post. It might be my water, I think we have hard water. It's well water. Oh well. I'm glad I never bought a lot of hemp.
COrrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#15 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:45 AM

Hmm. . .are the worst offenders diapers you use only at night? If so, maybe rinse them in cold right away before putting them in the pail?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#16 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

uh huh. Thought of doing the rinse before the pail. That may work. I never use the ones that stink during the day, they are too bulky. So I don't know if they'd stink with day use or not.
I put one through 2 detergent washes. One cold, then a vinegar rinse, then a super hot wash with a touch of biokleen, then a cold rinse and line dry in sun, and it stunk a LITTLE this AM. The other I boiled and it's still on the line and I'll try tonight for comparison.
I might have to do the rinse before pail thing.
#17 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! And someone mentioned the washer as a wet pail! I used to do that when we had a washer in (well, next to) our kitchen in our apartment! lol That was a GREAT setup!! Now our washer is in the basement. Too many stairs. And with 5 people in the family and dh working out every day now, I need the washer free to do regular laundry as much as possible! lol
Also, someone mentioned Bac Out! That's a great idea. I totally forgot about trying that. I'm out of Bac out, but have some Nature's Miracle I might try. Thanks!
#18 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 01:04 PM

It may be psychosomatic on my part LOL -- but I find bac-out works better than nature's miracle on dipes. It may be all in my head but I have used both.

#19 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Monica, I think you are right. I remember Bac Out seeming more potent as well. I wish it was less expensive, though and I could buy it by the gallon locally.
#20 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 08:01 PM

Okay, besides boiling, you could try <looking around furtively> bleach

Seriously, I know someone who recently rid her dipes of that rat cage smell with a tad of bleach.

NO FLAMES PLEASE! I know it's a no no Just passing on some info that might help. Hemp is sooo absorbant, I think it's very hard to get it completely clean. Though I haven't used bleach on any of my diapers, it's good to hold a trump card
#21 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:03 PM

OK, now I'm getting paranoid.

Jade's diapers don't smell much when I take them off of her, but when I dump the diaper pail into the washer, the ammonia smell is BAD! I generally wash every other night.

Does the strong smell mean my diapers might not be really clean all the way through?

Lisa
#22 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:05 PM

I gotta say, I don't get along with hemp! In fact, due to our incredibly hard water here, I HATE hemp; it drives me insane.

I think hemp is the in disguise

Stinky hemp really makes me want to :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke especially in the morning!!!

I sold off all my Samuel's Soakers last week due to stinky hemp. I am hanging on to my Joeys though because I need them to make nighttime diapering work, but they are easier to boil than the soakers.
#23 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:05 PM

Does everyone have this stinky hemp problem after a while? have not noticed any stinkiness. Is it mainly people with well water/hard water having this problem?

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#24 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the Joey's are easier to boil.
ammonia in the pail after sitting a while doesn't mean you aren't getting your diapers clean. That's pretty normal.
I have a completely bf infant, though, and his diapers don't typically smell like ammonia, even after sitting in the pail a full day.
I have only smelled ammonia on his thicker hemp night diapers in the AM. And it's serious, knock you over ammonia.
If you have an older baby that eats food, ammonia in the pail is normal. If you are worried about it, you can try boiling all your diapers and if there is a huge difference aftewards, then perhaps they could be getting cleaner, but I think it's ok for diapers to not necessarily be sterile, kwim?
#25 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea
Does everyone have this stinky hemp problem after a while? have not noticed any stinkiness. Is it mainly people with well water/hard water having this problem?
I have very hard water and notice a hamster cage smell every so often. Luckily, I have been able to solve it with some extra hot rinses, so far...
#26 of 36 Old 06-08-2003, 10:41 PM

Ok, I get to use the little guy...please , no tomatoes, my fragile ego couldn't take it! Several months ago, we were having a terrible bout of diarhea (sp?)....that is poor Ben was. Many of his ubcpf's became victims. I put about 2 Tbs. of bleach in a hot wash because I was really worried not only about the diapers, but the washing machine..kwim? I know you don't need alot of bleach to sanitize, so I was hoping that would kill the germs. I haven't done it again, am not saying I recommend it, but it was an emergency!
Back to stinky hemp...ds's morning diaper is enough to clear the room. We alternate between Sandy's, with her doubler or a hemp doubler and Fuzzy Buns stuffed with hemp or cpf and hemp. I have noticed the smell with ME airflow AND the Staccinator, the Disani. I wash like others are saying...cold with baking soda and then hot with little detergent, cold rinse w/ vinegar. That helps, but I notice the hemp inserts and even the fleece on the Fuzzy Buns retaining odor. But, I really like the benefits of hemp and am not ready to throw the diaper out with the wash water.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#27 of 36 Old 06-09-2003, 12:03 AM

On the hard water thing, we have soft water (I just checked wih dh, who knows such things) and have had stinky hemp.

#28 of 36 Old 06-09-2003, 12:15 AM

We have seriously stinking dipes in the am no matter what. I had this problem awhile ago and posted and found I needed to strip my dipes. This time, stripped away, and.....still the ammonia smell. I was thinking it was the hemp, but I am not completely sure yet. I have one AIO that I use at night--oh heck, my feeble little brain can't come up with the name (I swear I have less brain power than I used to) but it is fleece on the outside and has the penguin patch--What the heck is it? ANyway, not sure if that has hemp in it, but it smells too. Maybe even if it does not have hemp it does not get clean cause of the thickness. So, to top off the horrible smell, the tip of ds's penis gets soooooo red after one night in a cloth dipe. We have actually resorted to sposies for night time only I know, bad mama, but who wants their little one to have a super red sore penis every morning. I have tried everything and just can't seem to solve the problem. Oh, with the sposie (Tushies) we have no red penis and no smell.
#29 of 36 Old 06-09-2003, 01:50 AM

Our water leans more towards hard than soft, but isn't too hard. No stinkies. Even the unbelievably thick Crickett's hemp fitted that we use for nighttime doesn't have any bad smell.

I've been considering going to a dry pail. After reading this thread, I'll keep my washer the wet pail, thankyouverymuch
#30 of 36 Old 06-09-2003, 05:52 PM

My hemp just started to stink. Ds is 2, and we have been using cloth for about 8 months. My Samuel Soakers, JB, and even my hemp sugarpeas have started to stink. The SS and JB are the worst. I haven't tried boiling yet because I don't own a stockpot, but I'm about to try it, because it burns my eyes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page