Wool Care & Questions - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 44 Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it doesn't have lanolin which I am pretty sure that it doesn't then yep you would still need to lanolize.
I used to wash and then lanolize, here is how..
Take an old jar and fill with water and put in microwave for 1m40s
Squeeze an inch of lansinoh or purelan and a squirt of baby shampoo.
Put lid on and shake. I usually have to wear oven mitts because my bottle is HOT!
Then put in a sink 1/2 full of barely luke warm water and swish. Then add your covers and let them sit for a few minutes. squeeze them out, don't twist or wring them. Roll in a towel to get excess water off and hang to dry

Now I use Eucalan in the washer on warm gentle skipping the rinse cycle and dry in the dryer on tumble low. Theresa of LTK said that its fine and I have never had a shrinkage issue! I hope that helps..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 07-01-2003, 03:13 PM

Sportswash/Sensi-clean will not strip the lanolin in the wool like Woolite will, so you should not need to lanolize it. I was out of Eucalan once (and never will be again, thanks to the gallon of lavender sitting near my washer!) and used S-C on gentle in the washer (be sure to rinse it, though) and my covers were lovely and clean afterwards and did not need to be lanolized. I *love* Eucalan for the lavender scent, though, so I highly recommend you get some. If you catch a poopy cover right away, you can often just let it soak in eucalan for 20 minutes or so (I often forget, so it's longer), and it'll be nice and clean.

I do sort of find that lanolizing is one of those YMMV things, though. Some people seem to need to lanolize a lot, while others rarely do. It probably has a lot more to do with the wetting patterns of your babe than anything else.

Karla
#33 of 44 Old 07-01-2003, 03:15 PM

Karla-That is so true! I only lanolize every few months! Some people need to do it more. I never have leaking wool and I abuse it:LOL It is good to know that SW can be used in a pickle. I use the lavender Eucalan as well. Where did you find lavender in a gallon? I would love to never worry about running out again.

#34 of 44 Old 07-01-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv4sophie
Karla-That is so true! I only lanolize every few months! Some people need to do it more. I never have leaking wool and I abuse it:LOL It is good to know that SW can be used in a pickle. I use the lavender Eucalan as well. Where did you find lavender in a gallon? I would love to never worry about running out again.
Gallon lavender (or regular) right here:

http://www.camillavalleyfarm.com/knit/eucalan.htm

Awesome price ($30) for the gallon, even with $12 for shipping (from Canada-- if you are in Canada you definately need to order this), much much cheaper than buying the tiny little 5oz bottle. I had another post where I calculated the cost per ounce and compared it to the little bottle, but my searching seems to be not pulling it up properly.

Karla
#35 of 44 Old 07-02-2003, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You know what works really good on your wool? Mild hair shampoo. Which I dare say, we all have.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#36 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 01:45 PM

OK I read all the wool posts and I am SO intrigued. But I have to admit I am terrified.

1. The heat here. I am in West Texas. Super Dry - Super Hot. I have a hard time understanding how they don't get hot.
2. Why aren't they scratchy?
3. The cost - is it really plausible for me to try one in this heat for the cost? Maybe I should wait to winter time?
4. The care. How often do you have to lanolize them?
5. Do they lose their shape easily?
#37 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 01:59 PM

You sound like me...I was soooo terrified to try out wool, but am oh so glad I did! I truly did not "get" wool when I heard raves...I was like, isn't it absorbent and not repellant and all that rot. Anyway, wool breathes so it keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer (I promise). The amount and frequency of lanolizing I guess has to do with the type of wool you got and how often you use and wash it and all that. Most, it seems, only lanolize about once a month and wash about once every other week. I wash every week and haven't lanolized a thing since the time I *really* lanolized the crap out of my stuff til it was sticky, lol! I've never lanolized my phunkymamas and haven't needed to...they rock...same with my little turtle knit soaker. My crat is my oldest and it has been lanolized twice and I've had it prlly around a year or so. They aren't scratchy b/c of the wool used-jersey and flannels are soft and stretchy. If you get a recycled bum sweater, then yeah, it could be scratchy and need to be lanolized more often or heavily. If they do for whatever reason lose some shape, you can use hair conditioner diluted in water and work them back out into the shape you want them. I consider wool to be great stuff and low maintenance! You might wanna start checking out the TP for deals if you have sticker shock. BITE THE BULLET. DO IT
#38 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 03:04 PM

I live outside of Dallas, I we use wool almost exclusively!
It breathes, that is why it keeps so cool. Plastic doesn't breathe so all that moisture and heat just stays stuck inside the dipe. When I change a wool cover the dipe inside is cool.

Care is easy, alot of wool covers can be washed in the washer with eucalan, which makes it sooo easy. I wash about once a week, and I relanolize very infrequently since I use Eucalan. Cost is well worth it. I have 6 covers right now (I would really like 8) And I diaper two kids with that, where I need a ton of pul covers to make it to wash day.

And I have only really ever found one or two covers that were scratchy, Aristocrats are super soft. Avoid synthetics, like rayon(some recycled soakers are not 100% wool so watch out for that) NOt only will they be less soft but the probably won't absorb as well!
HTH,
Shelley

ps try these wahms
www.woolybumbums.com
www.naturalbabies.com
And tootsweet.com, not sure of the exact url??? I will find out tho...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#39 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mlia
OK I read all the wool posts and I am SO intrigued. But I have to admit I am terrified.
No need to fear, the Wool Crusader is here
Quote:

1. The heat here. I am in West Texas. Super Dry - Super Hot. I have a hard time understanding how they don't get hot.
Wool breaths, and allows heat to escape. Especially knitted wool, like in soakers or covers made with jersey. There are little teeny-tiny air vents, basically, that allow the heat and humidity to escape, actually keeping baby's bum cooler than other synthetic covers.
Quote:

well, some are, LOL! But the good ones (the ones you see raved about all the time here) are made with super soft wool that is made from sheep that are bred specifically to have soft coats, which in turn make soft fabric.
Quote:

3. The cost - is it really plausible for me to try one in this heat for the cost? Maybe I should wait to winter time?
Well, often you can get longer use out of wool covers because they are stretchier, so in the long run they don't seem quite as expensive if you can get two sizes worth (or more!) out of them. As for waiting till winter, as I said above, woolw ill keep your kiddo cooler than fleece in the summer, so go for it
Quote:

Again, if you have a good quialty wool, then you won't have to lanolize often (maybe once a month, sometimes even less than that. I persoanlly lanolize mine about every 5 or 6 weeks, when I realize it's eben forever since I did it last, LOL!)
Quote:

I don't think this is a problema t all with wool fabric covers, but I do have to admit that I've noticed when the boys have been at the very high end of the size range for a cover (like my 30 pound 2 year old still wearing a medium soaker, LOL!) then the do tend to distort easily, but I chalk that up to me using it beyond the size range it'sr eally geared for. It's easily remedied, though, just handwash and lay it out to dry and the original shape is back
#40 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mlia
1. Super Dry - Super Hot. I have a hard time understanding how they don't get hot.
I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. One thing I've learned: stick with natural fabrics and don't put your child in PUL ("waterproof") anything during the hot months. You will have poached baby if you seal him up in plastic!

Like anything else, some wool covers are thicker or thinner than others. A two-layer felted BizzyBHive is not something I leave on my daughter while we're in the car or running around on errands, but it's fine for the air-conditioned house. A light, stretchy Little Turtle Knits is cool, comfy and "non-padded-y" feeling for hot, active little bottoms.

Quote:
They are different types of wool. Look for a stretchy knit for hot weather, not something really tight and felted.

Quote:
A few wool covers go a lot further than a bunch of PUL covers. Wool covers air out when you alternate between changes, and you can use them over and over and over for a week or so (unless they get poopy or dirty). A PUL cover after being peed in during a Texas summer is not something you want to re-use -- so you need more of them, and that's more expensive!

Quote:
Here's what I do: I wash in Eucalan every week or so, unless they're soiled. Every 2-4 times (depending on the cover and on how well I lanolized it last time), I lanolize.

Thing is, caring for wool is a wonderfully pleasant task. It's even better than regular fluffy laundry. The actual washing is easy, because you really shouldn't scrub or agitate. You get a little gentle swishing while your home gets a fragrant scent-bath from lavender Eucalan. It's heavenly.

Quote:
This problem is of minimal concern. As Theresa noted, it usually happens more when you're topping out or exceeding your size range, or if your baby has unusually chunky thighs or something.

Give wool a try. You'll love it!
#41 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

OK I'm going to be a bit of a kill-joy here.... I'll probably be banned from this board after posting this.

While I like that dd's bum stays nice and healthy with wool covers I wouldn't reccomend wool to a CD newbie, or to a baby sitter, or anyone squimish about pee because wool just hasn't been 100% waterproof for us.

I'm a new wool user and perhaps it's just the type of cover that I have (bumpy wool) but I find that we do have a wicking problem esp when diaper gets really wet - like after long carrides or in the morning (DH is humoring me for now but gets pretty annoyed when he plops dd on his chest in the morning and ends up with a wet smelly chest.) Needless to say he hates wool and I honestly don't see how people get by with those thin jersy wool covers.

also wool covers are total dog hair magnets, and I wouldn't reccomend buying a light colored wool covers if your floors aren't completely spotless. We have major dust issues in my area and my cream colored bumpy covers just get nasty looking after just a few hours of use (too hot now for dd to wear pants, and our doors and windows are always open during the summer). So I end up washing them after each day of use.

Anyway I think wool is worth trying but don't go crazy with buying lots of wool covers all in one swoop.
#42 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 08:40 PM

Just in case all those smart wool-lovin' mamas didn't convince you, here's another article to read.

#43 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 01:35 PM

Simone,
Have you thought about giving a different brand of wool cover a try? The first time I tried wool, I was so dissapointed, it wicked all the time. But all the wool covers I've tried since never leak. (Bizzy B Hive, Lana, Sugarpeas, Lambkin). Maybe you will find the same thing with another type of wool. Also, do you think it needs to be lanolized? Or, another thought is, is the diaper you have underneath absorbant enough?

I hope you find something that works out for you!
#44 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by natashaccat
While I like that dd's bum stays nice and healthy with wool covers I wouldn't reccomend wool to a CD newbie, or to a baby sitter, or anyone squimish about pee because wool just hasn't been 100% waterproof for us.
Simone...you really should try another type of wool. We use wool exclusively and I have not ever had a problem with dampness, wicking or leaking (well dampness on one that was cleared up with a good lanolizing). My dd is in wool overnight for upwards of 12 hours with nary a leak or dampness at all when she wakes up (and the diaper inside is really quite soaked).

edited: I have never used Bumpy, so can't comment on them.

edited again: Mlia...I am in South Texas (San Antonio) try wool...believe me! After you take off a wool cover for the first time and feel the cool diaper underneath, knowing it's breathing, you'll be amazed!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page