Wool Care & Questions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 44 Old 06-19-2003, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just lanoloized my bumpy wool cover by mixing the lanolin and hot water in a heavy duty gallon size zip lock, added cold water to cool the mixture a bit then put in the cover in the bag squeezed the air out and squished the bag for a minute or two.

Mixing in the ziplock works so much better for me than mixing in a bowl. No more streaky lanolin blobs on my cover (perhaps it just me that has this problem: )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 06-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
They have a liquid lanolin too so you dont have to melt it. I got some from 7th Heaven Babies for 5.00 for a good size 4 oz container.

Mama to a teen and tween
#3 of 44 Old 06-19-2003, 09:41 PM

Natasha, do you use any soap with that mixture? Using a little Eucalan or a drop of liquid soap, like Dr. Bronners, helps to seperate the lanolin so it doesn't clump in globs on your cover.

#4 of 44 Old 06-19-2003, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kermit
Natasha, do you use any soap with that mixture? Using a little Eucalan or a drop of liquid soap, like Dr. Bronners, helps to seperate the lanolin so it doesn't clump in globs on your cover.
Thanks for the tip Holly, next time I'll add a little Eucalan to the mixture. I'm actually new to wool, I'm about to use my new bumpy cover for the first time. I wasn't sure if Bumpys come prelanolized or not so I figured that I'd better do a Eucalan wash and lanolize just in case. But my first attempt at lanolizing left blobs all over the cover.
#5 of 44 Old 06-19-2003, 11:30 PM

I use a bottle and shake shake shake!!!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#6 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 12:56 AM

I can tell you what does NOT work. I could not find a jar to save my life, so I grabbed a bottle (from one of the older kids - the little one won't take a baba) and nuked the water and took it upstairs and added the lanolin and eucalan and started to shake it. And promptly scaled myself with the hot water that spewed out of the nipple. Ok, so I am a DA!! I was desperate though!! Got to find a jar with a lid around here...
#7 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 01:43 AM

I just wipe a dab of lanolin from a big jar in the bottom of a shot glass, cover it with water, nuke it for about 15 seconds, drip some Dr Bronners in, swirl it around in the glass and pour that into the sink where the soaker is already submerged in room temp water and Eucalan. Then kneed, let soak, squeeze out and hang dry. Works great!
#8 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 02:54 AM

That's a good idea! I'm going to try it.

How do you guys know how much lanolin to use? I just have Lansinoh from my sore nipple days. I don't think I used enough last time.
#9 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gravymommy
I can tell you what does NOT work. I could not find a jar to save my life, so I grabbed a bottle (from one of the older kids - the little one won't take a baba) and nuked the water and took it upstairs and added the lanolin and eucalan and started to shake it. And promptly scaled myself with the hot water that spewed out of the nipple. Ok, do I am a DA!! I was desperate though!! Got to find a jar with a lid around here...
I did the same thing I thought that pressing the nipple down would hold the solution in but once I released it water sprayed everywhere. It is handy though because you can squirt it all over the diaper.
#10 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Babe
I use a bottle and shake shake shake!!!
Me too :LOL With a drop of Eucalan thrown in for good measure and easier mixing!
#11 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 10:22 AM

So, are Bumpy wool covers lanolized?

Also, can you not just wash in Eucalan?

Help out a wool newbie!
#12 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 11:19 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you are unlikely to get globby lanolin if you use some soap in your lanolizing water. If you don't use soap, I think you will still get globs no matter how much you shake or wisk, kwim?

FWIW, I lanolize in my bathroom sink. I add some Eucalan, a strip of Lansinoh about an inch long, and fill it w/ HOT water from the tap. Then I take my lanolizing wisk (just a kitchen wisk I keep in the bathroom) and wisk the heck out of the water in the sink. Then I add my cover and let it soak for a while till I remember it's there.

Also, another wool tip, knitted covers can take the hot water as long as you don't agitate them or subject them to a sudden change in temperature. I believe I read that from the lanolizing instructions for AJ's wool soakers.
#13 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by momschooling
Also, can you not just wash in Eucalan?

Help out a wool newbie!
You can, but I have never found there to be enough lanolin in there to do the job for me. HTH~
#14 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi

-Bumpy wool, nikkys, biobottoms & other untreated lamswool covers do not need to be lanolized before use.

-your tap h2o is hot enough to emulsify lanolin. using a tiny drop of soap is helpful for me, too.

-i have an AJ's Wonderful Wool Soaker, and the thing is huge! I have repeatedly attempted to shock it to shrink it and it just won't shrink! i was almost convinced it wasn't all wool, but i know better.

i use a metal bowl with cold water, a small glass jelly jar with a lid to emulsify the lanolin.

i also use "NOW" brand liquid lanolin, though i bought it at my natural foods store.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of five: ds (13) dd (11) ds (9) ds (7) and dd (2) Find me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 02:46 PM

I am still waiting for my Euclan to arrive, and I have a poopy wool cover. So I am wondering...

Can I use something else to wash it? Bio-Kleen? Dr. Bronners?

and

Is it okay to use Bac-out on wool covers? I was tempted to squirt some on but didn't want to trash my beloved cover!

thanks!
#16 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 02:51 PM

Though I've not used it, I have heard baby shampoo works well. Dr. Bronner's is mild like baby shampoo...that might work, too.
#17 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 05:58 PM

you can use woolite, but it will strip any lanolin in the wool and you'll need to relanolize.
#18 of 44 Old 06-20-2003, 09:18 PM

fill your sink with lukewarm water, and a squirt of shampoo (yes, any old shampoo, I use whatever happens to be in my tub a the time, LOL) and let the cover soaker for a while, then gently, GENTLY rub at the poopy spot, the rinse the cover, gently squeeze the water out (I usually wrap it in a towel and then step oin the towel to suck all the moisture out) then lay it flat to dry.
#19 of 44 Old 06-26-2003, 09:30 PM

Another question... I read in the wool care thread (about lanolizing):

Quote:
Heat some water and an inch or so of Lansinoh (the breast feeding nipple cream) and stir to help it dissolve.
Can anyone give me an idea of how much "some" water would be? A couple cups?
#20 of 44 Old 06-26-2003, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say a kettle full of water would suffice... which you would then add to a larger quantity of water to completely cover your soaker, so you don't have any clumps.
#21 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 12:05 AM

I'll just ask my ???? here instead of starting a new thread, if nobody minds...

I got my first wool cover a few days ago (fuzbomb). I did not have any wool wash, so I washed in baby shampoo and then used some Lansinoh to lanolize. I rolled the cover in a towel to get out all the water. I put the cover on my drying rack and the thing took FOREVER to dry (more than 24 hours). How long do they normally take to dry after washing? They say you can put a fuz in the dryer...is this true? I don't want to ruin it.

We finally used the cover yesterday morning and all was well. I put it back on ds this morning and he peed right through it in less than 2 hours. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't dry enough...how long should I wait between uses. I want to be able to use the cover more than just once every couple of days, kwim?

I also have a question about lanolizing. I melted about an inch long piece of lansinoh in hot water (3-4 cups about). I made sure the water was cooled down before soaking the cover, but the lansinoh got a little clumpy. Is there a trick to it? TIA!
#22 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 02:37 AM

This is the way I do it(I learned it from Kendall, aka, barefoot in the sand)
I put the soaker in the sink with coolish water(about lukewarm, I guess) inside out.
Put an inch or so of lanolin in a jar with a drop or two of eucalan(or baby shampoo), I also add a drop or 2 of lavandar oil(not necessary...I just like the smell) add very hot water, put the lid on and shake until lanolin is not clumpy.
Pour this mixture over the cover, squeeze the cover through a few times, then let sit for a while(15 min. or so...mine are usually in longer because I forget about them) squeeze dry gently, then roll in towel to get out excess moisture. hang or lay flat to dry.

I also think the time it takes a cover to dry depends on where you live, and the weather, and the thickness of the cover. My aristocrats sometimes take 3 days to dry that is usually during the winter though.
HTH!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#23 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I want to be able to use the cover more than just once every couple of days, kwim?
You do know that you don't have to wash it everytime it gets wet, right? Just let it air dry between uses and wash it every couple weeks.

And, under any wool cover, you will need a very absorbent diaper.
#24 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 03:07 AM

Oh yeah, it takes much less time for it to dry after a wear than after a wash!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#25 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i put my hand washed wool soakers in a delicates laundry bag and run them through a hand wash spin cycle. (just the spin, not wash). they're dry the next morning.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#26 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 05:12 AM

Quote:
You do know that you don't have to wash it everytime it gets wet, right? Just let it air dry between uses and wash it every couple weeks.
Help me get over my hygeine fears on this.

We started wool covers (over hemp fitted and hemp nightime double), because my heavy wetter can blow through 2 joeybunz (in a fuzzibunz) in a couple hours.

So, her wools (using at night) are taking quite a beating, holding back a lotta pee.

I don't feel comfortable not washing each time (but trust you ladies)... is this acceptable because of the lanolin factor, and the idea that the wool isn't really soaking up the pee or what?
#27 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 09:32 AM

I was very wool-phobic in the beginning because of reading that you don't wash the covers but every 1 or 2 weeks. I really like things *very* clean (a little OCD in me somewhere) and after trying them out and following all the advice, I am the biggest wool lover! That's all I want dd to have on now. I was shocked to hang a cover up and then go back to find out that it never smells like urine. I think that if I washed our wool as much as I wanted to, in the beginning, it would have ruined our covers for certain.

bananasmom: Don't worry about it! Just use the wool! ( I sound insane, I know) Very passionate about the wool!

#28 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 09:34 AM

It's not so much the lanolin in the wool that makes it okay not to wash every time. Wool has natural antibacterial properties in it, kind of like living anti-microbes.
#29 of 44 Old 06-27-2003, 10:00 AM

About that drying time...spin it out in the washer! I actually wash all my wool in the washer and spin it out. I pull it out and dry it on the rack, it's usually dry by nightfall if I wash in the morning.
#30 of 44 Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 PM

Well, all of my wool covers have officially been pooped in.

So, since I don't have any Eucalan, what should I use?

The Sportwash bottle says it is for wool - it says to use a capful in a cold wash and lay flat to dry.

Am I going to have to re-lanolize after they dry?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page